It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Yasmin...not work for some? I'm discouraged

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-28-2003, 04:41 PM   #1
    Laurenmarie179

Laurenmarie179 HB User
    Unhappy Yasmin...not work for some? I'm discouraged

I know I'm probably freaking out for no reason on this, but I cant help it. I'm going on my 3rd week of yasmin and I'm wondering how long this initial breakout will last. It is mainly on my chin--hormonal i'm guessing, and some on jaw. I guess I'm not very patient, and I don't want to get my hopes up and be let down--again. i'm also taking 25mg spiro with it (which i know is a low dose for acne so not sure why my dr bothered). Ive been on it 3 weeks and am just hoping I can be clear, or clearer by my birthday at the end of january in 5 more weeks (I'll be at the end of pack 2)--or am i dreaming? Other than the initial breakout, I do love it so far--skin/hair slowly getting a bit less oily, mood is good, WAY less bloating, good sex drive...and its making my A-cup breasts fuller

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2003, 07:17 PM   #2
    AliasJaneDoe
    (female)

AliasJaneDoe HB User
    Re: Yasmin...not work for some? I'm discouraged

My breakout was massive when I started Yasmin. It cleared up a bit around the second month, but then it returned. But everybody told me to stick it out, despite my acne being the worst it had been in my life, and now I'm starting month five and my skin is looking SO MUCH BETTER! I just have a few little spots right now (and by little I mean very little and they should be gone in a couple days), and it's that time of month.

I also just started on 25mg of Spiro a month ago. I want to up it to 50, but I have to get another blood test first.

Old 12-29-2003, 01:58 AM   #3
    Vortex773310
    Veteran
    (male)

Vortex773310 HB User

Alias i thank you for boosting this young girls confidence by telling her your horror stories(which were probably untrue) either way, when everyone sorts a new medication out and starts using it there is quite a chance u can have an initial breakout, but alot of it is hormonal related, and once the medication starts kicking in your acne will subside, try some B5 aswell it greatly reduces the ammount of Sebum produced.

Old 12-29-2003, 11:17 AM   #4
    matahari

matahari HB User

[QUOTE=Vortex773310]Alias i thank you for boosting this young girls confidence by telling her your horror stories(which were probably untrue)QUOTE]

Ok... yeah that was kinda mean for no reason

Anywho... as with most BCP there is usually an initial breakout period lasting from a few weeks to a few months from mild to severe breakouts. I would give at least 3-4 months before you really start noticing any difference in your skin... but it could be sooner! I would think about trying another pill if after 4 months nothing happens or your face gets worse. I was on OTC-Lo for 4 months and it ruined my skin!! It was by far alot worse than when I started... a total nightmare. Everyone is different, so finding the right BCP can be a trial and error type deal. I am using Apri (desogen generic) again and I love it... I dont know why I ever stopped!

I am also on 25mg of Spiro too and I LOVE IT!! I decided to be bad and bump my dose to 50mg and see what happens... I dont think my dose is enough to do all that much for my acne. I love the "side effects"... less oil, softer skin, less body hair, no bloating & bigger boobs!! YAY!

Old 12-30-2003, 10:27 AM   #5
    coloradogirl1
    Veteran

coloradogirl1 HB User

Matahari,

Am I thinking of someone else or weren't you using Yasmin? If that is you,what happened with the Yasmin - why did you stop?

Old 12-30-2003, 10:36 AM   #6
    matahari

matahari HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coloradogirl1
    Matahari,

Am I thinking of someone else or weren't you using Yasmin? If that is you,what happened with the Yasmin - why did you stop?

Hey Colorado!

I have tried Yasmin (and every other darn BCP under the sun). I used it when I didnt have acne so I dont know its effects on skin. It made me feel kinda sick to my stomach all the time so I decided to get off of it after a month. Besides that, there were no other side effects that I noticed.

Old 12-30-2003, 05:06 PM   #7
    elsie9191

elsie9191 HB User

I've never been on Yasmin, but I am on OTC and I gotta tell you it made me break out like crazy the first month. I even quit taking it half way through the pack cause my face got so bad. But after a few more months of nothing working, I went back on it, broke out like crazy the first month, stuck it out and now 6 months later, I am completely clear (knock on wood). My sister is now in her 3rd month and she also had a horrible break out the first month but after 3 months she is much clearer but is having trouble getting rid of all the red spots from her breakout. Birth control does work (for most) but like anything else, it needs a lot of time.

Old 12-30-2003, 09:33 PM   #8
    KillerBoots,man

KillerBoots,man HB User

I'm going on Yasmin when I get my next period but, you girls are scaring me...I'm getting over my cystic breakouts and have been in much better shape these last few weeks, I've been on spiro for about 2 months now and I'm afraid I will break out again if I start yasmin...Anyone else take spiro before starting yasmin?

Old 12-31-2003, 06:08 AM   #9
    tiramasu
    (female)

tiramasu HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Yasmin...not work for some? I'm discouraged

hi guys!

i've been on yasmin nearing 4 months now. i think i had a bit of a breakout within the 1st month and a bit in the 2nd month, but it wasn't too bad (i've had worse, definitely). i went straight from dianette (diane 35) to yasmin so maybe that's why it wasn't so bad? however they work via different mechanisms...so who knows? i changed from dianette cos i felt like it wasn't working so well anymore (i'd been on it 4 years, it worked really well at 1st, then my skin came back super greasy)

now though my skin is pretty much clear give or take 2 spots. but i can't be sure it's the yasmin cos i changed cleansers to johnsons baby softwash (which is just fab in my opinion) in the mornings and oil of olay face cloths at night and i started using a clinique pore minimiser gel which has worked brilliantly to reduce pore size and oiliness. my skin is still a little oily though, yasmin was meant to sort that out! grr!! so i have to use a topical oil controller too.

in any case tho, to those of you having big break outs i'd certainly give it time to work. before i went on yasmin i trawled these boards for yasmin threads and time after time people were reporting huge breakouts then i'd read a few months later and the same people were saying how glad they were they stuck with it. don't be discouraged!

Old 12-31-2003, 01:18 PM   #10
    latayy26
    Veteran
    (female)

latayy26 HB User

I am going onto my fifth month of Yasmin. Everything cleared up pretty well when I started it; however, I started to get some chin/jawline pimples every month about a week before my period. I had never had a problem with my chin area before. It wasn't horrible but still bothered me so I went back to my derm and he prescirbed spironolactone (50 mg.) for me and that has definitely helped clear up the chin pimples around that time of the month! I dont' know why Yasmin does that to some people but I am going to try coming off the spiro in a few months and see if I can just stick to the Yasmin. I know a lot of people say to give the Yasmin at least 5 or 6 months!

Old 12-31-2003, 03:53 PM   #11
    bunny9987
    Veteran
    (female)

bunny9987 HB User

3 weeks! hon, give it 3 months at least. I started Yasmin back in July. I had a horrible inital breakout, by sept, the chin and jawline were clear. It'll be okay don't dwell on it. happy new year!

Closed Thread