It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• Just diagnosed with Autoimmune hearing loss

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-30-2003, 10:54 AM   #1
    Sophina

Sophina HB User
    Just diagnosed with Autoimmune hearing loss

I was just diagnosed with Autoimmune hearing loss. The ENT put me on Predisone. Can anyone enlighten me on treatments for this?? I have lost more of my hearing in my right ear since my last appointment. (One month) I am kind of scared.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2003, 04:12 PM   #2
    lovies10323

lovies10323 HB User
    Re: Just diagnosed with Autoimmune hearing loss

I found something that pertains to your problem. Hope it helps.

Derebery: The most common presentation trait includes a significant sensorineural hearing loss that occurs over a period of weeks to months. We all know that the most common causes of sensorineural hearing loss are presbycusis and noise exposure, but these are generally gradual losses over many years. AIED progresses much more rapidly with a significant decrease in hearing loss over a short period of time. While the criteria will vary, one thatís usually quoted will include a decrease in at least two consecutive frequencies of at least ten dB, or of fifteen dB decrease atin a single frequency, or a decrease in speech discrimination of 12% or more, all occurring over a period of three months or less.

HH/Beck: Is AIED usually unilateral or bilateral?

Derebery: AIED usually presents bilaterally or becomes bilateral, assuming you track it long enough. When it does present as a unilateral symptom, in our own series we have found that there is typically a difference of about five years between the presentation of symptoms in the first ear and the time the second ear develops symptoms.

Old 12-31-2003, 04:54 PM   #3
    susie141

susie141 HB User

Hi Sophina, I have a type of autoimmune hearing loss, although mine is part of a wider syndrome. I know how scary it is to lose hearing over a matter of hours/days. High doses of Prednisone are often used to treat autoimmune loss but the side effects are too serious to be able to carry that on for too long. Sometimes chemo drugs such as Methotrexate are used in combination with Prednisone. The purpose is to suppress the immune system and to reduce the inflammation in the inner ear.

I've been treated with oral Prednisone but also have had injections of a steroid straight into my ear. That's what worked really well for me, and maybe that's something you could discuss with your ENT. Good luck, Susie

Old 12-31-2003, 07:23 PM   #4
    Sophina

Sophina HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by susie141
    Hi Sophina, I have a type of autoimmune hearing loss, although mine is part of a wider syndrome. I know how scary it is to lose hearing over a matter of hours/days. High doses of Prednisone are often used to treat autoimmune loss but the side effects are too serious to be able to carry that on for too long. Sometimes chemo drugs such as Methotrexate are used in combination with Prednisone. The purpose is to suppress the immune system and to reduce the inflammation in the inner ear.

I've been treated with oral Prednisone but also have had injections of a steroid straight into my ear. That's what worked really well for me, and maybe that's something you could discuss with your ENT. Good luck, Susie
    My ENT has referred me on to a Rheumatologist who specializes in Lupus. I have many other inflamations going on. I have inflamation in my brain (severe migraine), nasal passages and through my ears and down into my lungs. I also have had blood cells in my urine with no explanation for the last few months. I am a little anxious to say the least. I have been getting more ill every year for the last 14 years, so it will be good to maybe find out something and can be treated finally. My ENT has put me on Predisone for the time being. I have only been on it a few days, but I see no improvement. I actually think my hearing is getting worse by the day. I hear many low rumblings and dronning noises that sound like a tractor idleing.
    Thanks for responding..
    and Happy New Years to you all. :-)
    Sophina

Old 01-26-2004, 08:08 AM   #5
    Sophina

Sophina HB User

I had one appointment with the Rheumatologist. He says I don't have lab work or the right symptoms to point to Lupus. He is however testing me for Wegeners Disease. I will admit I am scared. Wegeners is a rare disease and I don't know how treatable it is. I have most all of the symptoms for it. Do you hear noises that seem to be in your head with your ear problems? I hear three different noises that seem to move around, never being in the same place. I hear what sounds like tractors idling. I actually hear three different noises. Steroids did bring back most of my hearing, which is why my ENT sent me to the Rheumatologist. That and the fact that my Urologist found that my kidneys are inflammed and casting blood cells.
    Are meds helping your hearing?
    *hugs, I hope you are doing well.
    Sophina

Last edited by moderator2; 01-28-2004 at 03:52 PM.

Old 09-11-2004, 02:20 PM   #6
    what24

what24 HB User

The steroids/immune suppessant route I have done. Sorry to say it did not restore my hearing loss (autoimmune disease), but at least I stand a decent chance of keeping what little residual hearing I have. Taking the medication was not a cake walk, but I opt for it and have no regrets. Everyone is different, however. Best of luck.

Closed Thread