It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Brain Fog?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-25-2003, 08:44 AM   #31
    gregonzola
    (male)

gregonzola HB User
    Re: Brain Fog?

Hey Maichim
    If you saw an oral surgeon and your dentist, I guess you'd have to defer to their knowledge. But if you haven't already, you might want to see a dentist that specializes in TMJ. From all I've read, TMJ is a completely physical problem but you wouldn't necessarily feel it unless your tolerance wasa compromised ( by stress, etc) So it could easily come and go over the years ( and over the course of a day) Again - I'm not an expert on TMJ at all. I'm just learning about it now. Sure sounds like you've got some of the symptoms...

I've never had any sinus problems that I know of. I have been to an ENT and he said that I checked out. Tell me about reflux - I don't know what that is. I was on Paxil for a while (2 months) when I thought my problem was caused by anxiety, but I recently switched to Prozac because of the side effects. Never any medications before this whole thing began.

Greg

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2003, 08:50 AM   #32
    maichim

maichim HB User

Hi Greg
    Reflux is when your stomach acids make their way up you esophagus and can cause heartburn. A couple years back I was diagnosed with reflux and have been on Nexium since. I found a couple obscure articles on how really bad reflux can cause chronic sinusitis symptoms. I also was wondering if Nexium or any similar drugs could cause some unknown side effects.

What type of side effects did you have on Paxil? Is the Prozac working for you and do you feel any side effects? The Paxil was making me really tense and nervous, but I think it may be getting better. I've been taking it for less than 2 weeks.

I wonder if all of us share some history with a medication or exposure to something that can cause us all to have similar symptoms.

Old 11-25-2003, 09:24 AM   #33
    gregonzola
    (male)

gregonzola HB User

The paxil Side effects were sexual - total loss of libido. Big Drag. The Prozac seems to be a little better...
    Greg

Old 11-25-2003, 09:30 AM   #34
    maichim

maichim HB User

I read that was a side effect. I'll stick with the Paxil for another couple weeks, but I really don't need anymore problems. I want the real problem fixed, don't we all. Thanks for all the info.

Old 11-26-2003, 11:46 AM   #35
    Caraghk
    (female)

Caraghk HB User
    Arrow Re: Brain Fog?

It may not be allergy-related, you may have an illness called CFIDS. research it on google to find out.[FONT=Arial Narrow][COLOR=Blue]

Old 11-26-2003, 12:00 PM   #36
    maichim

maichim HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Caraghk
    It may not be allergy-related, you may have an illness called CFIDS. research it on google to find out.[FONT=Arial Narrow][COLOR=Blue]
    Thanks Caraghk. I did do a quick search and read an overview of this disease. It's good to know that another possible avenue exists for those of us who are running out of information from our doctors. Hope all is well with you.

Old 11-29-2003, 03:24 PM   #37
    Hi_its_Joe

Ok, so back to my brain fog issues. Does anyone here have chronic rhinitus and/or acute sinusitis AND suffer from brain fog, heavy head, dead-head, balloon-head, anesthetized head, pickled head, dizzy head, syrupy head, pressurized-head, etc?.

The world awaits your response...

- A fellow allergy sufferer

Old 11-30-2003, 02:50 PM   #38
    newyorkmogul

newyorkmogul HB User

my brain feels foggy a lot too, it kind of feels like this layer of cold behind my eyes and around my brain...i guess it could all be in my head however...hehe =) because of this i end up drinking a lot of coffee to try to counteract it. i find that i don't want to exercise, or do anything much anymore, because of the tiredness. but i find that if i force myself to do it i feel so much better afterwards. i didn't have this problem 2 years ago...when i used to live in warmer, drier california. now i live in cold soggy damp upstate NY. the feeling is like, i have to force my brain to actually THINK, which is weird...really weird. ya know? at work i just kinda shuffle around for a while, until the coffee and the motion stirs me up a bit. one day i had to go home early because of it...i told my boss i was too sleepy to be effective...and i got made fun of quite a bit for that

Old 12-01-2003, 07:02 AM   #39
    ashpie
    Inactive

ashpie HB User

I ahve been suffering from the severe brain fog thing for a few weeks now..It is so bad that I can't focus at work causing me to call out last week..I also can't seem to get a sentence out right..I actullay said toon soo instead of soon too..
    it feels like I can't find the words fast enough like p-put..thats how I've been talking..does anyone else have this problem? and I can't keep my eyes open..when I am driving I feel like my eyes are going to slam shut..I don't wanna do anything like christmas shop which I love to do..I just wanna sit all day..

Old 12-12-2003, 12:24 PM   #40
    Lectus
    (male)

Lectus HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ashpie
    I ahve been suffering from the severe brain fog thing for a few weeks now..It is so bad that I can't focus at work causing me to call out last week..I also can't seem to get a sentence out right..I actullay said toon soo instead of soon too..
    it feels like I can't find the words fast enough like p-put..thats how I've been talking..does anyone else have this problem? and I can't keep my eyes open..when I am driving I feel like my eyes are going to slam shut..I don't wanna do anything like christmas shop which I love to do..I just wanna sit all day..
    Yeah, I have a harder and harder time finishing my sentences as time goes on. I'm really an imbecile at this point.

Old 01-02-2004, 05:36 PM   #41
    Lectus
    (male)

Lectus HB User

Sorry... I just have trouble letting go of threads like these, so I'm going to bump it up.

Any of you guys still around? If so, have you ever had this puss smell in your nose when you blow out? It's really obnoxious, gross and disconcerting... My symptoms get worse by the day.

Old 01-03-2004, 08:50 AM   #42
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hi_its_Joe
    Ok, so back to my brain fog issues. Does anyone here have chronic rhinitus and/or acute sinusitis AND suffer from brain fog, heavy head, dead-head, balloon-head, anesthetized head, pickled head, dizzy head, syrupy head, pressurized-head, etc?.

The world awaits your response...

- A fellow allergy sufferer
    Yes, that's me!

About a month ago, I developed asthmatic symptoms, along with the "brain fog" that you are talking about. My upper chest felt tight, and I was wheezing. My GP put me on Advair and it has helped the lungs, but the head problems won't go away. here is what I feel...

1. It's like being in an airplane which is descending quickly, a kind of constant pressure, especially around the forhead and ears.
    2. Mild dizziness, especially in the morning.
    3. Some nasal discharge, but not a lot. My nose is somewhat stuffed up when I wake up int the morning. The discharge is clear.
    4. Some mild headaches, which are not localized. Usually on the top of the forhead, behind the ears, and around the eyes. They come and go -some days are better than others. I guess they feel like "sinus headaches."
    5. LOTS of ear cracking. But I have always had this. Tube disfunction?

My wife doesn't understand how miserable this makes me feel. I'm worn out, depressed, and anxious. It's like a head cold that never goes away.

I've done some research, and it might be fungal sinusitus, although I don't have all of the symptoms. It might be an inner ear disfunction along with allergies. I really don't know.

I'm now taking Zyrtec, Flonase nasal spray, and Advair for the lungs. Haven't noticed much of a difference yet. My lungs are still inflamed, although they feel better than they did.

This has been a real nightmare. I am open to advice!

Old 01-05-2004, 06:00 AM   #43
    James123

James123 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chiggins1066
    Yes, that's me!

About a month ago, I developed asthmatic symptoms, along with the "brain fog" that you are talking about. My upper chest felt tight, and I was wheezing. My GP put me on Advair and it has helped the lungs, but the head problems won't go away. here is what I feel...

1. It's like being in an airplane which is descending quickly, a kind of constant pressure, especially around the forhead and ears.
    2. Mild dizziness, especially in the morning.
    3. Some nasal discharge, but not a lot. My nose is somewhat stuffed up when I wake up int the morning. The discharge is clear.
    4. Some mild headaches, which are not localized. Usually on the top of the forhead, behind the ears, and around the eyes. They come and go -some days are better than others. I guess they feel like "sinus headaches."
    5. LOTS of ear cracking. But I have always had this. Tube disfunction?

My wife doesn't understand how miserable this makes me feel. I'm worn out, depressed, and anxious. It's like a head cold that never goes away.

I've done some research, and it might be fungal sinusitus, although I don't have all of the symptoms. It might be an inner ear disfunction along with allergies. I really don't know.

I'm now taking Zyrtec, Flonase nasal spray, and Advair for the lungs. Haven't noticed much of a difference yet. My lungs are still inflamed, although they feel better than they did.

This has been a real nightmare. I am open to advice!
    Try eliminating dairy food for a while. That always helps clear my brain fog. I'm also doing nasal irrigation and that has reduced pressure.

Old 01-08-2004, 05:19 AM   #44
    Bothrops
    Senior Veteran

Bothrops HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lectus
    Sorry... I just have trouble letting go of threads like these, so I'm going to bump it up.

Any of you guys still around? If so, have you ever had this puss smell in your nose when you blow out? It's really obnoxious, gross and disconcerting... My symptoms get worse by the day.
    Hi Lectus,
    I am still around. Still trying to figure all this out. I need to figure it out fast because I have only two months of unemployment left. I quit smoking and dipping, has not helped my symptoms. My last diagnosis was anxiety but 4 months of paxil has only helped my headaches.

I have had a bad smell in my nose too. Have you ever covered one side of your nose and sucked air in and have a terrible pain under your eye? Do you ever get lightheaded while moving? Has your brainfog caused your eyes to be screwed up?

What are ALL of your symptoms? I noticed you in the Lymes board I have been wondering about that to, even though I live in the south east it is still possible due to all the time I spend outdoor.

Later

Derek

Old 01-08-2004, 06:12 AM   #45
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

If you have discolored discharge from the nose, bad breath, or puss-like substance in there, you probably have a bacterial sinus infection.

I don't have that, but what I do have is

1. Nasal congestion, especially at night when I sleep
    2. Mild dizziness
    3. Pressure in the head, especially in the forehead and around the ears. Also around the nose and eyes.
    4. Headaches, mostly behind the ears
    5. Blurred vision, or a difficult time focusing on distant objects. This has gotten a somewhat better after going on Zyrtec.
    6. Asthma
    7. Fatigue
    8. Black circles under the eyes -puffy eyes
    9. Bloodshot eyes

It will be 6 weeks Monday. It is worse when the weather is very cold (especially the headaches), or if it is very rainy.

Closed Thread