It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• S/P Lumbar Fusion and still in PAIN!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-31-2003, 01:14 AM   #16
    Rob61
    (male)

Rob61 HB User
    Re: S/P Lumbar Fusion and still in PAIN!!

Thanks for your replies, I think but cant prove i was somewhat of an experement for this Dr (as i was reciving questionaires for the bone dowels in reference to my pain) i can only think he never cut the disks that should have been cut to eleviate the pain. I was schedualed to have a second surgery for him to find out what was wrong but i cancled it after my preop because i dident like some of his answers to questions. Thats when i did more opinions, looking back i had the surgery only to do something for the pain but i'll never forget one Dr's words " they can play with you all they want you will not be getting better " I've never had edema you may not be able to have an MRI but you can have a CT they show things good. I have also had several SSEP's for nerve conduction and each test is a little worse the the one before it so i don't have them anymore. I appreciate your responding hoping you feel better.

Rob

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2003, 07:05 AM   #17
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=DarkGreen][B][CENTER]Good Morning Rob,[/CENTER][/B]
    [INDENT]I can relate as I am also an experiment for my neuro surgeon but he has stated this. I agreed to this prior to my surgery. I had Infuse without cages and the FDA has only approved Infuse with cages. I often wonder if my edema of my legs, feet and lumbar area is a result of the BMP. I already had one CT Scan and it did show Edema of the spine, but I thought that was to be expected after the surgery. And speaking of cutting the disks..... When I had my fusion, I had thought that my surgeon had removed the entire disc's. After I had a CT Scan the report stated that both the disc's and the one above the fusion were bulging. When I went to my neuro surgeon with a look of horror on my face he said the films were read incorrectly. I told him that the report didn't make sense to me because I disc cannot bulge if it isn't there. He then said that he didn't remove the entire disc as that would be more difficult to do. I nearly fell out of my chair. I always knew their were different approaches when performing a fusion but I was unaware of the different types of fusion. I was so angry at him for not telling me this prior to my surgery. Then I began to believe the report and lose my trust in him. I came home and started more research on the internet and found with help from another member about the two different types of fusion's. The interbody and the Posterolateral Fusion. Then I also realized why my surgery was only 3 & 1/2 hours but I also had infuse with it. So in the back of my mind I'm really worried. Did they ever give you any of the results of the SSEP's? What worry's me with these doctor's is if I didn't obtain a copy of that CT Scan I would have never known what the actual report had said and my surgeon would have just told me that everything was fine. I only acquired that report because I have a sister in the medical field so I knew the finding's before my surgeon. But I never obtained the actual report of my discogram and my surgical report and if I continue to do so poorly with my recovery I will obtain copy's of those report's as well. I am thinking ahead just in case I need to see another doctor. I already have copy's of all my films. I also did a little research and just posted on another thread about a SPECT (single photon emission computed tomography) Scan. I had never heard of this before and I am going to ask my surgeon about this test and its accuracy on my next appointment. If I find out anything good about this test I will share it with you.[/INDENT]
    [B][CENTER]Jeanne [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Old 12-31-2003, 12:18 PM   #18
    Rob61
    (male)

Rob61 HB User

Good afternoon Jeanne hope your having a better day today I have a copy of every test and report and every X-Ray MRI CT DIscography even the operative report my sergery lasted 8 1/2 hr's the sseps show nerve damage and nerve root involvment. I also thought he was going to cut the disks out but as i have been told by others the plan changes when the go in and see whats there. Had i known the amout of pain i would be right after the surgery i never would have had it even with the morphene push i could not move from the pain I know something more then likley whent wrong but only the surgen knows. I do know when i was in for my presurgical visit for the second surgery (before i cancled it ) i had asked to have the rods he intended to remove he said there was no way i could have them, he wanted me to wait in his office to talk more and i saw his wife a back surgen also i played dumb and asked her about the rods and she said not a problem (that sent red flags up ) after that i went for another opinion and that is where i am today i was going to a Dr (nurosurgen ) just so he would prescribe pain meds but dident like him so i bounce around from Dr to Dr

Old 01-01-2004, 05:40 PM   #19
    michigansk8er
    (female)

michigansk8er HB User

[QUOTE=hotptato]man o man, you guys are not making me feel very good here, i go in for my bone graph(fusion) jan 8th, going in from front and back. you here all the good stories, but its funny how when you here 1 bad story it delets all the good ones..lol... well i wish everyone good luck and speedy recovery.[/QUOTE]

Good luck with your surgery. I go in the same day.....and sounds like for the same thing. This is sounding more scary by the minute. I sure hope I don't end up worse off. I wonder if I'm the only one having second thoughts.

I hope everyone that is having complications and major pain experiences a major turnaround really soon.....as in immediately.

Old 01-02-2004, 07:57 AM   #20
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=DarkOrchid][B][CENTER]Good Morning Rob,[/CENTER][/B]
    [INDENT]Well, it looks as if you all of your reports, much more than I. When I had my fusion, my neuro never even told me that he had asked a Physiologic Assessment Doctor to attend. I had only found this out when I was being admitted for surgery and the doctor came in and introduced himself and started to hook up all the electrodes. A couple of months after surgery when I had gotten a hospital bill in the mail and I nearly fell out of my chair, I had called my insurance company. I then found out that an Orthopedic Doctor had also attended during my surgery. After hearing the doctor's name I realized that he was my neuro surgeon's partner. I go to an office that has all three together, neuro, ortho, and pain management. But I was very upset that I was not told any of this prior to surgery. I really have to obtain a copy of my surgery report because if I was not told this I really have to wonder just what is in that report. I too have heard of plan changing when they go into surgery but my surgeon did tell me prior that my surgery would only take about 3 to 3 & 1/2 hours. With having infuse it does cut the surgery time in plain english....lol
    Please forgive me for sounding stupid here but I am not sure if I am reading your post correctly. Are you saying that your neuro wanted to remove the rods from your back and you canceled? If so did he ever give you an explanation as to why they needed to be removed. Before I go any further, I will wait for your response in case I did read the post incorrectly. I do hope that you are having a better day today.[/INDENT]
    [B][CENTER]Jeanne[/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Old 01-02-2004, 05:14 PM   #21
    Rob61
    (male)

Rob61 HB User

He was going in to find out what whent wrong and at the same time said he would remove the rods as they were no longer needed. The second surgery was sold as an exploritory to find out why the pain returned. I know if i was you and saw the bill from a Dr just standing there id be ****** off also. My case was a workers copm and id have to say they tried to run me around a bit but their Dr's reports were saying i was worse then my Dr's. The one thing i can say is this now that i found these boards is at least if i say something people know what im talking about some lol Hope your feeling better today.

Rob

Old 01-04-2004, 12:52 PM   #22
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User

[QUOTE=shaukc]Hello Tomorrow ! I called the dr about my swelling and pain Tuesday . He sent me to the hospital Er for test - got there at three and did not get out until 11 . It was horrible ! He was worried that i had a infection . They did blood work and xrays .Blood work and xrays came back ok . Hardware was still where it was suppose to be . They did not know why it was swelled so much . Thought that maybe a infection was starting . They called my dr and i have to go see him Monday . He told them to tell me to stop therapy . That therapy woman would not stop . I kept telling her that it hurt real bad and she just kept telling me to just breath .Then she had me doing some exercises where i twist at the waist ?? I still have no back pain - just incision pain and the horrible muscle pain .I am on skelaxin . It seems to help . I have been using heat since Tuesday and all the swelling is about gone . The middle incision on the back is still kinda red and has not healed all the way . It is hot to the touch too in that area . The front and rest of the back incisions have healed and look good . Hope your feeling better . Shauna[/QUOTE]

Hi Shauna:
    Just joined in on this thread today Jan.4th. Stop, I repeat stop the physical therapy! Do not go back! There is no way you should be doing any bending or twisting at this stage of the game. I had the same problem with a physical therapist having me do these exercises at 6 weeks post op. They had absolutely no idea what they were doing. They had never worked with a spinal fusion before. I changed therapist, went to see one who was voted top therapist in our state and he said that I should have never been told to do those exercises. We backed down on p.t and after two weeks stopped altogether. He told me that there are quite a few people who cannot do any exercises except walking or bicycling and that included me. I don't remember how far along you are postop but swelling occurs especially when your body has overdone things. I am almost 6 months post op now and am doing pretty good. I have a thread that I started a while back called 4 months post op. You may want to read it.

Christi

Old 01-04-2004, 01:02 PM   #23
    shaukc
    (female)

shaukc HB User

[QUOTE=magnetlady45]Hi Shauna:
    Just joined in on this thread today Jan.4th. Stop, I repeat stop the physical therapy! Do not go back! There is no way you should be doing any bending or twisting at this stage of the game. I had the same problem with a physical therapist having me do these exercises at 6 weeks post op. They had absolutely no idea what they were doing. They had never worked with a spinal fusion before. I changed therapist, went to see one who was voted top therapist in our state and he said that I should have never been told to do those exercises. We backed down on p.t and after two weeks stopped altogether. He told me that there are quite a few people who cannot do any exercises except walking or bicycling and that included me. I don't remember how far along you are postop but swelling occurs especially when your body has overdone things. I am almost 6 months post op now and am doing pretty good. I have a thread that I started a while back called 4 months post op. You may want to read it.

Christi[/QUOTE]
    Hello Christi ! Dr told me to start therapy again - went for the first time since i stopped Friday - she asked me if i was doing the twist at the waist exercises and i told her no and that i was doing them . She asked why and i explained to her that i am not suppose to be doing anykind of twisting - she said that was ok . I got three more times before i go back to the dr and i am hoping that he does not send me back . Friday after i went- i was so sore and was up all night long - tried to talk my dr into not wanting me to go but i had no luck at that . He kept saying that my muscles need to be worked back to normal again - in order for them to support my back . I have noticed that if i over do it a little then i do hurt more . It will be two monthes on the 11th since i have had my surgery .Everything is going ok except for the one part of the back incision . Thanks for your input ! It has helped . Shauna

Old 01-04-2004, 01:04 PM   #24
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User

Hi there:

My surgeon told me at my last appt. that I continued to have pain in my lower back because of the instrumentation that after I am completely fused that I can go back in to have the rods and screws removed. He says that not everyone does well with instrumentation in their back. I believe I may be one of them. Other than that I must say that I am doing pretty good after almost 6 months post op. Am I pain free? not completely, but it is better than before.

Christi

Old 01-04-2004, 01:12 PM   #25
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User

Hi Shauna:

You can continue with therapy if you want. I refused to and my therapist agreed. He works with my surgeon. Their offices are in the same building. It is better to go a little slower than to risk damaging things. Also there is no reason that you should hurt all day and night after exercising. By the way I also quit taking pain meds like Vicoden etc before I was 3 months post op. Actually I started weaning myself off of them at 3 weeks post op. Took smaller doses. I believe that narcotics can actually make a person believe that they hurt worse than they do so that they will take even more medicine. I now take one Extra Strenth Tylenol when I experience pain and have done so for quite some time. I feel better mentally, emotionally etc. Narcotics make you feel terrible in my opinion. Also neurontin made me act and behave like a bear so I refused to take it too.

It is your body. You have a right to do with it as you feel is best and believe me not all doctors know your body as intimately as you do so there is no way they can prescribe for you always the right things.

Brooke 79 stopped taking all pain meds(narcotics) and feels a whole lot better too. It really helps you to guage exactly how you are doing.

Also anti inflammatories are a definite no no as long as you are still fusing. It can hinder the fusion process.

Christi

Old 01-07-2004, 09:33 AM   #26
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=Navy][B][CENTER]Hello Rob,[/CENTER][/B]
    [INDENT]Sorry I have been ill for a couple of days. Starting to finally get my strength back. I did go on Monday to see my neuro surgeon and I asked about the SPECT Scan. He said they are inaccurate. He did say that since I am still in a great deal of pain and that since some of my pre-surgical pain is returning that he wants me to have an MRI. I asked if that is possible with the hardware as I thought he wouldn't be able to read the films. He said that he can. When I called to schedule the MRI and told them of my instrumentation they told me they weren't sure of how the quality of the films would come out. He also ordered the MRI with & without gadolinium. Upon examining me he also said that I have Fibromyalgia and wants me to see a Rheumatologist. Looks like more testing for me, as if this story never ends....lol

I would be a little worried if workman's comp's doctor's were saying that you were worse than you own doctor's were saying. Usually it is the other way around from what I hear. I am happy that you found these boards as it sure does help when we find other's that can relate to our pain. I do hope that you are having a better day.[/INDENT]
    [B][CENTER]Jeanne[/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Old 01-07-2004, 12:13 PM   #27
    carol632
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

carol632 HB User

At 3 months post op, you should be feeling less pain, not more. Can you ask your doctor to do an MRI and see what is happening? Better yet, get a second opinion. I have always been told never to take anti inflammatores like vioxx after fusions; it slows the healing process. I am not a doctor so I dont know if there are exceptions, but I would be concerned about it.
    I hope you get to feeling better soon.
    Carol

Old 01-07-2004, 08:55 PM   #28
    Rob61
    (male)

Rob61 HB User

Hello Jeanne

I hope your feeling better I try to look at it as there's someone worse then me ( no offence ment to anyone here ) The only thing we can all do id take the good days and hold on to them for the days were not doing good lol hope you feel better stay strong we'll all pray for you.

Rob

Old 01-08-2004, 04:14 PM   #29
    HHHELP!!!!!

HHHELP!!!!! HB User

Hi, I am new to the forum, but I am having the same pain after lumbar fusion of l5-S1 on 12/2003. My pain started right after i came out of surgery so the doc throught it was pain from the surgery. I've been back to see the doc for remover of the staples and post checkup. Now he want me to take another MRI because I shouldn't be having this pain. Can anyone help me. This is my second surgery, first one l4-l5 fusion w/screws. both surgeries was done through my abdomen. Please help!!!!!!

Old 01-08-2004, 06:06 PM   #30
    mdking48

mdking48 HB User

I have never posted a message on here but i have read a lot of your messages and your all scareing me. I am having L4,L5,S1 fused on 1/16/2003 both sides. Is it really that bad?

Thanks Mick D.

Closed Thread