It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• my story of addisons/schmidt's and question about excessive thirst

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-09-2004, 07:11 AM   #1
    gertie

gertie HB User
    my story of addisons/schmidt's and question about excessive thirst

Hi:

I have been recently diagnosed with Addisons Disease in November of 2003. My story is typical where I wasn't diagnosed until at a very grave point. Two days after diagnosis I ended up in the emergency room in adrenal crisis ... a blood pressure of 80/37 and dehydration. 16 bags of saline later and a short hospital stay I was feeling better and released. I also have Hashimoto's Hypothyroid. My family has a history of many endocrine problems. I am presently taking 5mg. of prednisone and 0.1 mg of fludrocotisone and 25mg of DHEA. I am really starting to feel like my old self again. Even my hyperpigmentation is lightening.

I am still trying to understand my body with this disease. Do any of you find yourselves excessively thirsty? I am drinking at least a gallon of water a day and find my mouth still feels dry and I am thirsty. And I also still feel like I died and went to heaven anytime I eat a pickle or olive or potato chip.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2004, 08:12 PM   #2
    orion
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User
    Re: my story of addisons/schmidt's and question about excessive thirst

Are you sure you don't have a pituitary problem. Have you been tested for diabetes insipidus (not sugar diabetes)?

Old 01-12-2004, 06:16 AM   #3
    gertie

gertie HB User

I have not been tested for diabetes insipidus...that thought crossed my mind too....from what I have been reading.

My doctor told me when I was in the hospital that from my blood work my pituitary numbers were off at first, but by the time I was released they went back to a normal range. An MRI was done on my stomach and my adrenals were very small.

Old 01-15-2004, 03:41 AM   #4
    Mr.Brooks

Mr.Brooks HB User

Gertie,

It sounds like you might need to increase your salt intake. AD patients tend to leach salt through their pores when we sweat - perspire. Since you're drinking so much water yet still feel thirsty and dry-mouthed, it could be low sodium levels.

My endocrinologist told me that I would need extra salt in my diet because of AD.

I thought it funny what you mentioned about pickles, olives & chips, as I have developed a craving for pickle now as well, when I used to hate them before getting AD!

Hope this information helps!

Brooks

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gertie
    I have not been tested for diabetes insipidus...that thought crossed my mind too....from what I have been reading.

My doctor told me when I was in the hospital that from my blood work my pituitary numbers were off at first, but by the time I was released they went back to a normal range. An MRI was done on my stomach and my adrenals were very small.

Old 01-15-2004, 01:49 PM   #5
    gertie

gertie HB User

Thank you for your response Brooks. I feel the same about pickles.... I used to like them, now I LOVE them, olives, pepper biscuts, potato chips, V8 juice...anything high in sodium. I just salivate at the thought of them. Maybe my fludrocortisone needs to be increased? I think that is supposed to help with retaining sodium. I see my doctor in a couple of weeks I will tell him about my thirst then. I have to say though that I feel 100% better than I did two months ago, so if being thirsty is the worst of what I have to deal now that is fine with me.

Old 01-16-2004, 09:57 AM   #6
    Mr.Brooks

Mr.Brooks HB User
    Exclamation Re: my story of addisons/schmidt's and question about excessive thirst

Hi Gertie,

Yes, you brought up a good point and idea I forgot to mention - about taking fludrocortisone - I take between 0.1 and 0.05mg per day (usually in the morning) to help with salt retention, so I guess that's why I don't experience the dry mouth sensation that you're experiencing. I've been taking fludrocortisone the very first day I started taking my other steroids. I have also found that I don't crave salt as much as I thought I would as my endrocrinologist suggested I would. I guess he meant that I would need to increase my salt intake myself and to be conscious about it as taking the fludrocortisone would keep me from craving salt normally. Of course I was raised not use salt at all for fear of high blood pressure and/or clogged arteries, so changing this habit has been hard to overcome.

One thing I have had to deal with from the AD since day one has been dry lips I'm not sure whether its from the meds I take for AD, or the SW environment that I live in now. Needless to say, daily chapped lips is no fun and no amount of water seems to make a difference!

Good luck for your upcoming doctor's visit!

Brooks

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gertie
    Thank you for your response Brooks. I feel the same about pickles.... I used to like them, now I LOVE them, olives, pepper biscuts, potato chips, V8 juice...anything high in sodium. I just salivate at the thought of them. Maybe my fludrocortisone needs to be increased? I think that is supposed to help with retaining sodium. I see my doctor in a couple of weeks I will tell him about my thirst then. I have to say though that I feel 100% better than I did two months ago, so if being thirsty is the worst of what I have to deal now that is fine with me.

Old 04-11-2004, 02:11 AM   #7
    Kbinca

Kbinca HB User
    Talking Re: my story of addisons/schmidt's and question about excessive thirst

I have been walking around with AD since 1992. Actually, that is when I was finally diagnosed. As with most people, I was very close to death. The emergency room doctor couldn't believe that I was still alive. Anyway, excessive thirst is something I have been dealing with all this time. I drink at least a gallon, probably more, of water a day. Just stay close to a bathroom.

Last edited by Kbinca; 04-11-2004 at 02:12 AM.

Closed Thread