It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Started Strattera Today - My dose and other's side effects

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-13-2004, 10:32 AM   #16
    Brian850

Brian850 HB User
    Re: Started Strattera Today - My dose and other's side effects

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ADD_BarB
    Brian, I've been taking it for 7-8 weeks. I talked w/ my psychiatrist about it a few days ago & we agreed that w/ the holidays & all (I was out of town twice), it's hard to know how it's working. Need some time w/ my normal routine. From what I've read, 3 months is definitely a long enough trial. So, I might give it another month.

I'm trying to do some contract work at home, and it's nigh impossible. I keep following all these rabbit trails instead of just sitting down & focusing. Very very frustrating. Esp. since it's work that I enjoy (web & graphics design). I desperately want the Strattera, or something, to help with this. I'm so afraid I'll find out I don't really have ADD (inattentive type), and I really am just a defective person!... I'm 40+, by the way.

Cheers.

That's funny you mention Web and graphics design, that is exactly where i want strattera to help me (along with school of course) i love sitting and doing the work but it just become impossible. I managed to finish a website for someone in about 5 months, when i look back it really should have taken me 3 but i just procrasitinated, got lost in "rabbit trails" like you said, or just couldn't get myself to sit very long and do work without getting up and never sitting back down. I am hoping that strattera will help me, it is VERY frusterating!!! I really want to hear some GOOD comments about strattera, i don't think i have really talked to ANYONE that has said it really is a great improvement!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2004, 11:30 AM   #17
    ADD_BarB

ADD_BarB HB User

Brian, I just want to encourage you to hang in there. You should be congratulated on investigating this NOW, while you're so young. Keep at it.

I had been a straight A student till my jr & sr years in high school. Then i started having problems w/ motivation & procrastination.
    I think i had been one of those students who never had to study much if at all, and when i had to actually start working at school, my problem showed up. No one talked about ADD back then... We blamed it on depression or hypoglycemia.

Once I got to college (an expensive private school), i had a terrible time studying. I transferred schools, changed majors, changed my diet, got counseling, worked out; but still couldn't study consistently & felt like a total loser. Over ten years I quit school 3 times. Attended 3 major colleges. Flunked out once. Racked up 190+ hours, but never a degree. I am, I'm told, a highly intelligent woman. Not achieving what you know in your gut is your potential is pure misery and seriously damaged my self-esteem.

That's why I'm telling you to keep working on this now!

I've veered way off-topic, so if you want to email me directly (esp. about web/design stuff!), feel free: [removed].

Now, back to trying to work. Sigh.

Barbie

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brian850
    That's funny you mention Web and graphics design, that is exactly where i want strattera to help me (along with school of course) i love sitting and doing the work but it just become impossible. I managed to finish a website for someone in about 5 months, when i look back it really should have taken me 3 but i just procrasitinated, got lost in "rabbit trails" like you said, or just couldn't get myself to sit very long and do work without getting up and never sitting back down. I am hoping that strattera will help me, it is VERY frusterating!!! I really want to hear some GOOD comments about strattera, i don't think i have really talked to ANYONE that has said it really is a great improvement!

Last edited by moderator2; 01-13-2004 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Do not post contact information. These boards are for public anonymous use only. Please carefully read, know and follow the board guidelines and posting policy. Thank you.

Old 01-14-2004, 11:25 AM   #18
    Brian850

Brian850 HB User

Thats how high school was for me. I did very well in school and i very rarely needed to study for anything or really put alot of effort into doing my work. Now i am in a private business school and it is overwhelming, and i have never had to put this kind of effort into doing my work, i especially can not study and remember details beause i get so destracted. I started strattera over the month long x-mas break so i am hoping that it will start to help by the time i go back on the 25th for the second half of my soph year. my parentsare questioning the 34+ K a year they are spending and think it's because of partying (since i did well in HS) but i don't party and it really is the tests i need to study for that are killing me. I'm hoping this helps!

Update on Side effects: I'm on the 4th day of 60mg and find it very hard to fall asleep and wake up in the morning very early, i also feel drained all day. My head also feels tingly for a few hours after i take the meds????? No other side effects are really showing themselves, so i am feeling lucky so far i guess :-)

Old 01-14-2004, 02:42 PM   #19
    hyperev

hyperev HB User

So far your experience parallels mine. You wanted to know when I started having the more serious side effects. I could say I started noticing the urinary and sexual side effects about 6-weeks in on full dose for me which was 80 mp/day. What you want to look for is a slight discharge after urinating that seems like semen. Also, note if you feel like you can't empty your bladder completely. The other feeling you want to look for is a slight burning sensation during ejaculation. Now, another experience I had was accidently double dosing one day. I started sweating profusely (cold sweats) and my heartrate skyrocketed. I thought I was going to die right then and there (must be what a panic attack feels like, since I've never had one). I could also tell you the story of when I was running and had to urinate. I did so, and didn't feel like I could empty my bladder so stopped again. I then started having a burning sensation in the general area of my prostate. I stopped and went again, but nothing came out but discharge. Long story short, I could barely walk due to the pain, went to the hospital and they couldn't find a thing. I told the Doctor I was taking Strattera, but they obviously hadn't read up on it and didn't factor that in. That is the point I stopped taking it cold turkey (I figured to hell with weaning off it, I wanted this crap out of my system as fast as possible). The negative side effects went away in a couple weeks.

As for the question on if I would have benefited from it without the negative side effects, I would say yes at full dose for about a month to two. After that, the benefits started to diminish. Honestly, I get more out of caffine so long as I don't overdo it. I'm talking the equivalent to two strong cups of coffee a day. I wish you the best of luck.

Old 01-15-2004, 01:17 PM   #20
    ttreseder

ttreseder HB User

I took it for approx. 2 weeks. Every time it made me sick to my stomach, eating beforehand helped a little but I really needed to eat a LOT of food in order not to feel sick. It also made me very edgy and easily irritated by other people. The only positive about Straterra is that it doesn't affect your sleep, which some of the other meds can definitely do.

Old 02-16-2004, 06:39 PM   #21
    muddywaters

muddywaters HB User

Attention HYPEREV
    Since you are off that medication what are you on now? Did you ever take other meds? I really do not have extra $$$ to blow while I have 4 in college. So thank you for your info. This is what i really wanted truthful testimonals!!!!

Closed Thread