It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Klonopin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-19-2004, 12:31 PM   #1
    ~Kris~
    (female)

~Kris~ HB User
    Question Klonopin

I would like to hear any experiences, good or bad, about this med.
    Will I immediatley know how it's going to work, or will it take a few days?
    Has anyone taken it with good results, and eventually successfully weaned off?
    Is it ok to take as needed, or is it better to take it every day?
    I've had a bad time with AD's, so I'm trying this for anxiety.
    Thanks for your help. This board is more informative than my doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2004, 12:57 PM   #2
    Epiphany2003

Epiphany2003 HB User
    Re: Klonopin

I was prescribed .5 Mg to take at bedtime because I wasn't sleeping and suffered from severe anxiety over the thought of NOT being able to sleep. The first night I took it I slept like a baby and felt more relaxed. It is suppose to stay in your system for something like 24 hours, but I didn't notice much change in anxiety during the day. I suppsoe that's all about dosing and what you're taking it for.

I liked it, but one night I intentially overdosed on it in a fit of rage. I was hospitalized for it and I asked to get off of it since I felt I was growing too dependent and the want to take more than my prescribed dose was growing greater since I LOVED the relaxing feeling it gave me.

That's what you'll really want to be careful off... all benzo's have the potential to be addictive if you don't watch it.

When I got off of it, my doctor simply stopped it and replaced it with a 1 MG dose of Ativan everynight. I take so many other medications with it now, that I don't know what does what. All I know is I am feeling better and sleep great. When I was on the Klonopin, that was the only thing I took at night and I think that was what added to my dependence on it.

So, in short... yes, I did have a good experience, but be honest with your doctor about how you are using it, and at the first sign of dependence let him know.

Old 01-19-2004, 01:52 PM   #3
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

klonapin is very useful for anxiety and is best taken only as needed, IMO. a tablet disolved under the tongue is fastest and can be taken at the start of a panic attack to turn it off,
    you may have strong sedation at first from any of these benzo or valium type meds, ativan is also a benzo

Old 01-21-2004, 12:00 AM   #4
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

Yes, you will know immediately how it's going to work. Unlike an AD, it doesn't have to build up in your system.
    It has a longer life than xanax & supposed to be less addictive. Right now I'm on it every nite, til my new AD kicks in fully. I have been trying to find a new AD since Oct. so naturally, my stress/anxiety level is quite high, so I imagine that is why I'm on it nitely for now, plus one of the AD's they tried caused insomnia & then I obsessed about not being able to sleep, so the Klonopin is helping me get the sleep I need. I would think once the AD kicks in fully, I won't be taking the Klonopin on a regular basis. Compared to xanax, I prefer Klonopin. You don't feel it kick in or wear off like most do with xanax which is only good for about 4 hours or so & supposed to be more addictive than Klonopin.

Old 01-21-2004, 04:49 AM   #5
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User

Personally, I hated it! Took it for 2 days then refused to take any more. Made me way to groggy...

The Following User Says Thank You to index.html For This Useful Post:
    adeberry (04-12-2012)
    Old 01-21-2004, 08:11 AM   #6
    jgurl1976

jgurl1976 HB User

It can make you groggy and feel sleepy but that goes away with time if you take it all the time. I take 1 mg twice a day, along with welbutrin though. It works for me. I take it more for agitation. I would give it a couple of weeks if you can tolerate the side effects. If you have had any of the benzos before you will tolerated it better. Hope it works ok for you.

Jen

Old 01-22-2004, 01:33 PM   #7
    ~Kris~
    (female)

~Kris~ HB User

Thanks for the replies.
    I have another question. If I take Klonopin only at night, will it still lessen the anxiety during the day?
    Also, sometimes I get really spaced out, and not really focused, in my own little world. Is this part of anxiety?
    Would klonopin help with that, or would it just make me more spaced out?
    I hope I'm making sense.

Old 01-23-2004, 01:27 AM   #8
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ~Kris~
    Thanks for the replies.
    I have another question. If I take Klonopin only at night, will it still lessen the anxiety during the day?
    Also, sometimes I get really spaced out, and not really focused, in my own little world. Is this part of anxiety?
    Would klonopin help with that, or would it just make me more spaced out?
    I hope I'm making sense.
    I take Klonopin at bedtime, I do not notice a spaced out feeling during the next day & Yes, I think it does help me to stay calmer all day long.
    I react quite strongly to most meds, even over the counter sinus meds, so if Klonopin is not making me spacey or groggy during the day, then I'd say it probably won't do that to you either.

Old 01-24-2004, 04:29 AM   #9
    enoch
    Inactive

enoch HB User

your seeking various opinions I gather - so heres a different one

it depends of course what kind of anxiety - panic you are having - I myself feel that there is no one origin but varies from person to person -the only similarity being all of it has to do with the peripheral nervous system.

I am diagnosed with panic disorder (static) - you can treat it but not cure it - so opinions do and always will vary. Klonopin has worked wonders for me. I do not take it when I feel a panic attack starting - I just take it twice daily everyday regardless of state of mind - Klonopin was not designed to act like ativan or xanax - Klonopin is also used for epilepsy and is very useful at first but usually wears off in about three or four months that is why stronger seizure meds are used like tegretol or now tripelptal and lamotrigine.. anyway the principle reason some success with Klonopin is noted for seizures is that it builds up in you blood.. I was on ativan for 7 years - three times daily - mostly stuck to that - and when I quit I quit in day.. and had no withdrawel - the key being at 1.5 a day your not going to get addicted to a small daily dose like that unless your a hamster. - ativan stays in your blood about 4 hours so it was always a losing battle to panic attacks. However ativan and its big brother zanax are the meds to use if you just want a benzo for the immediate response to panic attacks.. They are quicker into your blood via the under the tongue melt method - but klonopin while it can be used like that takes about an hour to do the same thing that ativan or xanax does in 15 minutes - (unless we start talking the mental placebo effect of magic bullet saving graces) . If you going to be on Klonopin take twice a day at .5 - take it on time every 12 hours it is longer lasting in the system - twice that of xanax and xanax is about twice that of ativan (at the same .5 dose) - the result should be that you have blood coverage for the panic attacks and you don't have to play catch up or march around or roll around or freak out while you wait for the panic attack to go strolling...

In terms of addiction - at .5 twice daily its not going to be a big problem to wean yourself off klonopin if you make that choice.. at age 48 I have been on many meds over the years - I have no tardive - and I have had no bad reactions to ever going off of anything.. In my mind if I have to take klonopin the rest of my life to avoid even just one more panic attack its okay by me.. Its not like I am saving myself for anything else at this point in life... good luck with your own discoveries - for the record at this present point in time I am not on any antidepressants nor anti psychotics and rely only on .5 klonopin each day - and have not had any panic attacks for three entire months...

Old 01-24-2004, 05:52 AM   #10
    jerry78
    (male)

jerry78 HB User

Like the poster ENOCH, I, too, have had great success w/ Klonopin.
    I've been on it since October 2003, for severe Panic Attacks.
    I take .25 in the AM, and .25 in the PM (A very low dose, indeed)
    I must say, since taking it, not 1 Panic Attack-I'm 43 yr old.

Old 01-25-2004, 06:11 PM   #11
    ~Kris~
    (female)

~Kris~ HB User

I think for now, I'm going to take .25mg every night.
    We're losing our house, my mother and grandpa recently died, and I just started school this semester. I had a problem with anxiety b/f all of this happened, however I'm extra stressed right now. I'm tired of guessing when I should take a half of Klonopin and feeling guilty about it.

Old 01-30-2004, 10:49 AM   #12
    danmc15

danmc15 HB User

I have used Klonopin on a regular, daily basis in the past and currently, and have never had a problem with any side effects or weening off of the drug. I has been extremely beneficial in treating my GAD, although of course everyone will have a different reaction or experience with it.

Old 01-30-2004, 11:52 AM   #13
    ~Kris~
    (female)

~Kris~ HB User

danm15,

Thank you for your reply. Klonopin has helped me these past few days. I'm still only taking .25 mg, but it has helped.
    What dosage are you taking?
    Are you taking anything else for GAD?

Old 01-30-2004, 12:23 PM   #14
    danmc15

danmc15 HB User

I have both GAD and OCD. I take .5mg Klonopin twice a day for the GAD, and Lexapro and Wellbutrin for the OCD. Of course, the Lexapro also can help with the GAD. The Lexapro dosage is 10mg once a day, and the Wellbutrin is 300mg once a day.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:59 PM   #15
    betty1982
    (female)

betty1982 HB User

I am 24 and take .5mg of Klonopin twice a day. I was told that I could take three if I felt I needed it. I have not had to yet and I have been on the medication for almost 3 months. My doc put me on it for my panic and anxiety that I have just recently started to suffer from. I had some problems when I was younger but grew out of it. I want to say that this med has worked wonders for me. I am yet to have an attack and I can feel it keeping me calm (if that makes any sence). I did suffer some side effects at first but they are seeming to become fewer and fewer like I am finally getting use to it. I also had an issue because I did not take it on time at all. Found out that thats a no no. I now take it at exacally the right time every day and night. I did suffer from some slight headaches but those have gone away and I do get the groggy feeling and thats still stuck with me but hopefully it will wear off also. I did read that you sould not take it for a long period but my doctor said that every meds going to say that and that this is the less addictive and easiest to get off of med out there. I have to take mine with food for I do get dizzy after taking it but its not really a things spinning thing but more of a lightheaded thing. Hope this helped some. Overall I would not be afraid of this meds. Its helped me out a lot. I work in retail and people can be to much. I take it at 10pm and 10am. That way my body is getting the same dose every time.

Closed Thread