It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board

• Subutex Question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-20-2004, 04:16 PM   #1
    Shemac

Shemac HB User
    Question Subutex Question

Hello everyone, I've been lurking around the board for a short time and Thank you all in advance! If it hadn't been for you my husband would have never known about Subutone. Anyway after a weekend of visiting the devil (w/d) he received his first does 2mgs at a time of subutex. It was amazing the change but unlike most of the post I've read it took 3 1/2 hours to get to 8mgs. This morning after of a sleepless night he got up feeling bad, called the dr and he told him to take 2mgs and come in at his scheduled 8:30 appt. At his initial appt. they said they would start him on Subutex and then move on to suboxone. Has anyone had this experience? Today they had him take 2mg am 2mgs mid am 2mgs afternoon and finally 2mgs at 6pm. He feels better than the night with the devil but not normal.
    Any help? He goes back to dr in the am. We're confused. Why doesnt he just get a dose that will keep him level all day and another in the evening. He is the first person in our city to do this out patient in our town. Not really crazy about the guinea pig feel. Any thoughts. We really like the dr but not sure about his approach. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2004, 05:15 PM   #2
    John 808
    Inactive

John 808 HB User
    Re: Subutex Question

My doctor wanted me to take my dose at one time and that be it- not sure why your doctor is breaking the doses up like that? Question him/her about it!

Good luck!

Old 01-20-2004, 05:18 PM   #3
    chefob1
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chefob1 HB User

doc is doing it right...hubby has to find that zone where hes not w/d but not too much...he'll sleep tonight...if not definetly tomorrow night...i took the stuff for 4 years before they had subutex/suboxone...its called buprenex and i had to inject the bupenorphine in my arm muscle..thats how they did it in europe before starting it here this year with the sublinguil pills....subutex is strait bupenorphine...suboxone has nalaxtrene which if you were to try to inject it it would put you into acute w/d's.....take it easy at first...hell have to slow wean eventually cause it is a opiate too....chef

Old 01-20-2004, 07:11 PM   #4
    Banker
    Senior Veteran

Banker HB User

Chef's right. My doc told me to take 1 -2 mgs every hour until I got to 8 mgs for the first day... then take 2 mgs every few hours until I felt o.k. I still split my dose up to about 2 - 3 times a day. It's o.k... he's going to feel good and normal after a few days. May have a few, small side effects, headache, constipation, anxiety... but overall, he's going to feel good and normal. Congratulations, you will have your husband back!!!

Old 01-20-2004, 07:42 PM   #5
    Shemac

Shemac HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banker1151
    Chef's right. My doc told me to take 1 -2 mgs every hour until I got to 8 mgs for the first day... then take 2 mgs every few hours until I felt o.k. I still split my dose up to about 2 - 3 times a day. It's o.k... he's going to feel good and normal after a few days. May have a few, small side effects, headache, constipation, anxiety... but overall, he's going to feel good and normal. Congratulations, you will have your husband back!!!
    Thank You so much for your replies. You all are such a great source of information, and comfort. Bless You!!

Old 01-21-2004, 08:04 AM   #6
    Shemac

Shemac HB User
    Question Re: Subutex Question

Good Morning Everyone, I'm here with another question, my husband got some sleep last night but got up feeling crumby again. He took his 4mgs of subtex at 7 and it hadn't "kick" in by 8:30 he is at his Dr now. He also took Klonipin and stopped them at the same time as the hydro. I think he maybe w/d from them too and that could be making him feel bad. I'm so scared he'll give up if he doesn't start feeling better. He said " I can't do this everymorning and seems discouraged this am. That first day was so great.

Old 01-21-2004, 10:28 AM   #7
    chefob1
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chefob1 HB User

w/d's bring inpatientence....he can do it....he isnt dying and doesnt need to go to the er for discomfort...does he...be patient,i bet by the end of the day...he may be looking for a buzz that isnt going to happen...his tolerance may be high and the doc may up the med to 16mg...doc knows best...i know its hard feelin like goop but once again.....be patient...its a opiate...itll work...chef

Old 01-21-2004, 02:26 PM   #8
    Shemac

Shemac HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Subutex Question

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chefob1
    w/d's bring inpatientence....he can do it....he isnt dying and doesnt need to go to the er for discomfort...does he...be patient,i bet by the end of the day...he may be looking for a buzz that isnt going to happen...his tolerance may be high and the doc may up the med to 16mg...doc knows best...i know its hard feelin like goop but once again.....be patient...its a opiate...itll work...chef
    chefob, Hubby is feeling better, Doc told him he need to take sub when he starts feeling bad in the morning. He thought he had to wait until the appt w/dr. Dr has switch him to Suboxone and he goes back Fri. for a check up.
    Thanks again, S

Closed Thread