It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Pain at bottom of neck after ACDF

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-06-2004, 08:06 PM   #1
    fkissam
    Inactive

fkissam HB User
    Pain at bottom of neck after ACDF

I am 7 months ACDF post-op.

I am still having pain at the very base of my neck. My surgery was on C4-C5-C6. The pain is lower at C7 or T1.

Any suggestions or similar experiences?

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2004, 07:20 AM   #2
    sleepygal

sleepygal HB User
    Re: Pain at bottom of neck after ACDF

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fkissam
    I am 7 months ACDF post-op.

I am still having pain at the very base of my neck. My surgery was on C4-C5-C6. The pain is lower at C7 or T1.

Any suggestions or similar experiences?

Thank you.
    hi, Yes I am having the same problems as you, I had surgery on C4 &5 on November 19 and have lots of pain on the base of my neck. I have a check up on Tuesday so I am going to ask about it if I find out anything I will let you know. As a matter of fact I feel the pain that I has before surgery as well I have my first xray on Friday so hopefully everything is okay. I have no suggestions for your neck pain as I still have it if the doctor tells me anything on Tuesday I will relay it back to you. Have a good day.
    Barbara

Old 01-07-2004, 03:56 PM   #3
    LisaM

LisaM HB User

Sorry to say, I feel your pain. My surgery was 4 months ago and I'm in worse pain than before. After being turned away from my nero telling me to get used to the pain or try yoga. I found a family physician who felt sorry for me and took me in and ordered my records. Turns out there were more herniated discs in my neck than what was told to me. There's even one in my lower back. A bone scan had been recommeded by one doctor but I was never given that option. I'm going for more MRI's and testing to see what's going on now. I'll tell you what was told me by this doctor whom I've come to trust. He said that he hated to send a patient for cervical surgery because the area is so small and it doesn't take much scar tissue to cause pain. Also, in more cases than not.....the disc below the fusion has so much pressure on it that it too sooner or later starts to bulg. Which is what he thinks has happened in my case along with the other problems that I was never told about. I don't know what my future holds except learning to deal with this. I hope in your case you have a good doctor who is honest with you and helps you.

Old 01-07-2004, 06:40 PM   #4
    fkissam
    Inactive

fkissam HB User

I am in the same situation as you ... my doctors have not been good or honest.

Since we both had the ACDF surgeries ... and I had part of my cervical spine removed during a corpectomy .... I would be interested in any info that we find out.

I am finding that heat .... followed by ice ... the traditional remedy does help the pain a little bit.

Most people seem quite upset that the neck surgeons do not provide any ifnormation to patients.

Old 01-09-2004, 11:09 PM   #5
    jodawa50
    Inactive

jodawa50 HB User

Three years post op and in great pain with nothing to show for it on any scans. The doctors fix what they can see and I am slowly realizing that there is alot they can't see. I agree with the heat and ice pain relief, plus I have found Bio-Freeze, a topical numbing agent that works great for a couple of hours at a time.
    I'm starting a new fangled pain management course in a few weeks and am hoping for the best. Oh and keep that chin tucked in eh.

Old 01-12-2004, 05:08 AM   #6
    Esmo77
    (female)

Esmo77 HB User

9 weeks post op and in the same boat with neck base pain that radiates into trapezious area. Very bad in the mornings (sleep on cervical pillow) and seems to lighten up during day sometimes followed by headaches. Doc said on 1/8/04 that the neck is fusing great but I am just getting "used" to having 2 less discs and the trauma of the corpectomy. (also had serious complications during surgery with bleeding in brain). He seems to feel that with time this pain will go away. Patience, patience.

Old 01-21-2004, 11:32 AM   #7
    lifeonhold2003
    (female)

lifeonhold2003 HB User

No answers, but I too am still having pain at the base of my neck after 9 months. I still can't sleep on my back and more often than not, I am sleeping in a recliner. I often have the same symptoms has prior to surgery (i.e., pain in shoulders, arms, numbness in hands and pain in shoulder blades). I also get really bad headaches that start at the base of neck and go up the back of my head over to my forehead.

I did get good news yesterday from the OS, who said the it had fused and I know longer need to see him. I will still be returning to my NS. He just keeps saying that "most people usually get better". Aren't those encouraging words.

Good luck to all as we keep holding on to the thought that some day things will get better and we can return to normal.

4/23/03 - Anterior Cervical Discectomy w/Fusion C5/6 - donor bone with titanium plate, 4 screws, no collar post-op

Last edited by lifeonhold2003; 01-21-2004 at 11:40 AM.

Old 01-24-2004, 03:06 AM   #8
    mdla
    Veteran

mdla HB User

I have this too, right at the base where the shoulder comes into meet the neck. Someone suggested traction, that freaks me out to have a plate at c6-7 and be streched? Anyway I just posted somewhere that after a year they did another mri and found 2 disks around that were bulging, nothing that was there prior to surgery, t1-c7 and the other side. Ugh, Ive done all the stuff, neck streches, pain shots, meds, the excercises with the 2 lb wts.

Old 01-24-2004, 08:09 AM   #9
    fkissam
    Inactive

fkissam HB User

I am trying to find similarities between those of use that still have this pain around C7-T1. My surgery also did an emergency procedure called a corpectomy that removed part of the vertebral spine itself. Did you also have that done? If not, are there any commonalities among us?

For the most part, the surgeons are not interested in analyzing the recovery of patients. Once the surgery is done, they look just at the bone fusion and that is it!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdla
    I have this too, right at the base where the shoulder comes into meet the neck. Someone suggested traction, that freaks me out to have a plate at c6-7 and be streched? Anyway I just posted somewhere that after a year they did another mri and found 2 disks around that were bulging, nothing that was there prior to surgery, t1-c7 and the other side. Ugh, Ive done all the stuff, neck streches, pain shots, meds, the excercises with the 2 lb wts.

Closed Thread