It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Want to get off of Ativan after years...................

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-22-2004, 10:00 PM   #1
    JufyJuice
    (female)

JufyJuice HB User
    Question Want to get off of Ativan after years...................

I have been taking Ativan and Celexa for 9 years now. I have taken some type of medications for anxiety for the past 30 years! All doctor prescribed and as prescribed. Now I want to get off these two medications. I think I won't have too much problem with the Celexa with just tapering but I am very worried about the Ativan. I have read terrible stories on this one. I take 1mg 3X a day. No more than that dose for 9 years. I know when it is time to take my next dose because I start feeling sick. How do I get off this med?? I have tried tapering but I get so sick that I start back. Please can anyone offer advice. I would so much appreciate any and all advice and hearing from people that are going or have gone through this...... I need support and a plan. Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2004, 11:17 PM   #2
    kindaunwell
    Inactive

kindaunwell HB User
    Re: Want to get off of Ativan after years...................

Hi JufyJuice

And welcome to the Board. I believe the way to get off of Ativan is to switch over to an equivlent dose of Valium, and from there you will begin a very slow taper downward. Of course consult with your Doctor before you do anything, like how you already tried to taper straight off the Ativan. I believe a move like that can very easily send you into seizures. I am waiting for a friend to come on the Board, and she has sucessfully stopped taking Ativan after using it for so many years. I will definately ask her to get in touch with you and she should be able to help you...

until then, maybe others wil also offer you help and advise...

Take Care, JufyJuice

Kinda-unwell

Old 01-23-2004, 06:38 AM   #3
    kindaunwell
    Inactive

kindaunwell HB User

Ya see, I told you she would come on the Board and try to help you and offer advise. She's been there, and she knows what she is talking about. Your best move would be to listen to her about those sites and continue to post to her when you have more questions. I hope you listen, cause it can be done safely.....

Kinda-Unwell

Old 01-23-2004, 07:29 AM   #4
    JufyJuice
    (female)

JufyJuice HB User

Thank You Kinda-Unwell and Yinksy! You are a Godsend! I will do just as you say. Thank you Thank you Thank you!

Closed Thread