It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Addicted to VERY small dose???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-29-2004, 03:25 PM   #1
    bcruth4

bcruth4 HB User
    Addicted to VERY small dose???

Hello,

I have been taking 1/2 of a Percocet 7.5mg pill just about every night for the past several months. Compared to most people here I realize that dose is miniscule, but when I can't seem to break myself from the habit. I have not built any kind of tolerance which is nice.

This small dose works kind of like an antidepressant for me. My mood is slightly elevated and my daily stress headache remits (I have a very high stress job). My doctor prescribed the medication for my headaches after we tried numerous antidepressants and migraine meds. He gives me 10 pills per month with the understanding that he will never increase the dosage. It is up to me to use the pills as needed, but I am not supposed to take them on a daily basis. I don't think I need to go into detox to get off the drug, but I would like any tips you guys can give me to quit.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2004, 04:58 PM   #2
    Twinlynn
    Inactive

Twinlynn HB User
    Re: Addicted to VERY small dose???

I, too, at one time was prescribed, not Percocet, but Percodan, for my severe headaches. Just about ten a month. Like you, it worked for me as a slight mood elevator and stress reliever...and I was never tempted to try to get more. Half a tablet was all I'd take. I never tried to get "off" it--because I never felt like I was "on" it....but when my doctor suddenly retired from Parkinson's Disease...that was the end of that. I have to say that although I missed the slight mood change...I did not feel any withdrawal. It was more a mental thing. I'm not saying that everyone here won't tell you to get rid of the pills immediately--but I just thought I'd share my experience with that drug and that amount. It's when you go past the point that your half a pill is not enough, that the problems start. (I believe that percocet may be less potent than Percodan??) It's good that you are asking questions about the prescription while it's at such a low amount!

Old 01-30-2004, 06:37 PM   #3
    bcruth4

bcruth4 HB User

Thank you for replying. I guess small dose addiction isn't something people around here are concerned about because I had only one reply with over 70 views.....

Old 01-30-2004, 07:27 PM   #4
    John 808
    Inactive

John 808 HB User

People probably just don't know quite how to reply...to be honest, I don't!

Most of the people here have had or having 10-40 a day pill habits. It is just hard to advise to a situation so very different.

I am sorry you felt "neglected.." I think TwinLyne is right in that if you notice what you take is not "enough" and you crave more...there could be a problem. And better to fix it now!

Take care,
    michelle

Old 01-30-2004, 07:49 PM   #5
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Hi bcruth4, I guess I am just not quite sure of a few things.Are you taking the half a perc for what it was Rxed for?Are the stress headaches happening everyday,or are you just automatically taking them?The way that you described just how and why you are taking the half a perc,sounds to me like you are taking them for you headaches as originally prescribed.At least that is the way it sounds from what you have posted(my "daily" stress headache remits),am I wrong here? Do you have some kind of alternative way of treating your headaches once you go off of the percs?While the dose that you are currently taking is a rather small one at this point,if you are concerned enough to be posting here about a possible addiction,you are most likely showing the very first signs of a possible addictive personality.And as we all know on this board, our addictions all started somewhere.If you could please answer the questions that I have asked, it would give me,and the rest of the folks here a little bit clearer picture.Your post just seems a little confusing.This might be the reason for the small number of responses to your post.take care and post again soon,okay? Marcia

Old 01-31-2004, 04:45 AM   #6
    samilam

samilam HB User

My sister had a very small addiction like yours, for 1 whole year she took 1 lortab 5, she had to have it. She is now at 30mg and a full blowen pill head.
    My advice is to stop now, go see a therpist or psh. and find out why you feel you have to have them.
    Sam

Old 01-31-2004, 08:15 PM   #7
    bcruth4

bcruth4 HB User

Thanks for the responses folks. I have headaches on just about every weekday evening (workdays). I am wondering if I have a problem because I also take the pills on days that I don't have headache pain. I take it for the antidepressant effect and that is not what my doctor intended. I don't crave more. I am unlike most folks... I have a built-in reason not to take too much Percocet. I have severe tinnitus (ringing ears). Large doses of synthetic opiates are known to make tinnitus much worse. I would never do anything to make my tinnitus worse, believe me. The only painkillers I can take are Tylenol and opiates. Other pain meds increase my ear problems.

My Rx is about to run out and I won't get a refill for over a month. I don't know if it is possible to have withdrawls from such a small dose. On the rare nights that I can keep myself from taking a pill, which is about twice per month, I don't sleep well and I get in a bad mood. What can I expect?

Last edited by bcruth4; 01-31-2004 at 08:16 PM.

Old 02-01-2004, 06:00 AM   #8
    TomsWife
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TomsWife HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcruth4
    Thanks for the responses folks. I have headaches on just about every weekday evening (workdays). I am wondering if I have a problem because I also take the pills on days that I don't have headache pain. I take it for the antidepressant effect and that is not what my doctor intended. I don't crave more. I am unlike most folks... I have a built-in reason not to take too much Percocet. I have severe tinnitus (ringing ears). Large doses of synthetic opiates are known to make tinnitus much worse. I would never do anything to make my tinnitus worse, believe me. The only painkillers I can take are Tylenol and opiates. Other pain meds increase my ear problems.

My Rx is about to run out and I won't get a refill for over a month. I don't know if it is possible to have withdrawls from such a small dose. On the rare nights that I can keep myself from taking a pill, which is about twice per month, I don't sleep well and I get in a bad mood. What can I expect?

Ok, another question. If your doc orders 10 amonth and you take1/2 a day, that would give you 20 doses. You said that your Rx is about to run out and you wont be able to get it refilled for over a month. Why did you run out early? I agree with the others. You also said that you skip a dose about twice a month and only take them on the weekdays. Your posts sound a bit confusing............. .

Last edited by Tomsgirl; 02-01-2004 at 06:03 AM.

Old 02-01-2004, 08:03 AM   #9
    bcruth4

bcruth4 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomsgirl
    Ok, another question. If your doc orders 10 amonth and you take1/2 a day, that would give you 20 doses. You said that your Rx is about to run out and you wont be able to get it refilled for over a month. Why did you run out early? I agree with the others. You also said that you skip a dose about twice a month and only take them on the weekdays. Your posts sound a bit confusing............. .

I'm sorry for the confusion. My doctor gives me 10 per month to take "as needed". I am only supposed to take 1/2 per day, 1 if it is a really severe headache that will not go away with 1/2 pill. He did not write the Rx for me to take a dose every single day. He only wants me to take them when I really need them for pain. I know he would not increase my Rx to a daily dose. If I tell him that I am taking them every day he will most likely cut me off. Maybe that is a good thing? I need the med for pain, but I must admit that I take them at night even when pain is not present. I am misusing the drug at times.

Old 02-01-2004, 08:19 AM   #10
    Nikka
    (female)

Nikka HB User
    Wink Re: Addicted to VERY small dose???

Perhaps you are on the cusp of addiction. If that makes any sense. My advice would be to find a different alternative. If you read other posts there seems to be a common theme and that is that everyone at first took meds as prescribed but soon found that taking more allowed them to feel:
    More energy
    Euphoric
    Super person
    Happier
    less stressful
    so on and so on
    It sounds like you realize that you are at the beginning of what could potentially be a "problem".
    Stay away from these meds.
    That is my 2 cents worth!!!

Last edited by Nikka; 02-01-2004 at 08:21 AM.

Old 02-01-2004, 12:22 PM   #11
    StarToo
    (female)

StarToo HB User

Please look at these posts and be honest with yourself. Quit now while you can. The nice little buzz soon won't be there and you will want more...and more... and more... Focus your attention on something else. Meditate, pray, exercise, anything. Look at what you have, relationships especially, because those will be changing with every little pill, and every little lie. I will hope and pray for you that you will stop. Hope and pray for me too. Amber

Old 02-02-2004, 05:04 AM   #12
    bcruth4

bcruth4 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by StarToo
    Please look at these posts and be honest with yourself. Quit now while you can. The nice little buzz soon won't be there and you will want more...and more... and more... Focus your attention on something else. Meditate, pray, exercise, anything. Look at what you have, relationships especially, because those will be changing with every little pill, and every little lie. I will hope and pray for you that you will stop. Hope and pray for me too. Amber

Amber,

I will stop today. I have no choice as I am out of pills and won't get more for a few weeks. I am not so worried about psychological addiction, I just hope I don't have physical withdawals. Maybe I won't since I've been on such a small dose. Thanks.

Old 02-02-2004, 05:33 AM   #13
    StarToo
    (female)

StarToo HB User

Bcruth, I am so glad to hear you are stopping! I have 1 10/500 hydro left and have called the pharmacy for my refill. We are having a major snowstorm here and I may not get it, which may be a blessing in disquise. I only take 40mg a day which is not much compares to a lot of people..but it is just so hard to quit. I wish I was still where you are. I have started into withdrawal many times and I think the fear of it makes it so much worse. So be as positive as you can. You are doing the right thing!! I will be thinking of you today. Be stong!!
    Amber

Old 02-02-2004, 07:05 AM   #14
    bcruth4

bcruth4 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by StarToo
    Bcruth, I am so glad to hear you are stopping! I have 1 10/500 hydro left and have called the pharmacy for my refill. We are having a major snowstorm here and I may not get it, which may be a blessing in disquise. I only take 40mg a day which is not much compares to a lot of people..but it is just so hard to quit. I wish I was still where you are. I have started into withdrawal many times and I think the fear of it makes it so much worse. So be as positive as you can. You are doing the right thing!! I will be thinking of you today. Be stong!!
    Amber

Thanks Amber. I'll think of you too. We'll get over this.

Old 02-02-2004, 12:42 PM   #15
    StarToo
    (female)

StarToo HB User
    Talking Re: Addicted to VERY small dose???

Hi bcruth4,
    Got my script filled. One week's worth. I have decided to get serious with the taper and do it right. Wish me strength!
    Amber

Closed Thread