It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• duac gel

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-28-2004, 04:50 PM   #1
    cici89
    (female)

cici89 HB User
    duac gel

hey! i went to my doctor and he gave me duac. will it have an initial breakout? will it make my skin itchy and red and dry? thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2004, 08:49 PM   #2
    cici89
    (female)

cici89 HB User
    Re: duac gel

hey? any answers?

Old 01-28-2004, 09:56 PM   #3
    cici89
    (female)

cici89 HB User

Hello????????????

Old 01-29-2004, 03:57 PM   #4
    cici89
    (female)

cici89 HB User

has ANYONE used duac topical gel???? i KNOW some of you MUST have

Old 01-29-2004, 08:36 PM   #5
    LauraOSU05
    (female)

LauraOSU05 HB User

Hi cici89 -

I was recently switched from Retin-A Micro (0.1%) to Duac topical gel. I have been using it (along with OTC-Lo) for about 1 month and like the results so far. I don't know if it is the Duac or the combination of the two, but I am not breaking out nearly as bad as I used to. Even though I am still getting a few pimples on my forehead, jawline, and chin, it is not the painful cystic type like I used to get!

When you first put the Duac on at night, your skin might feel a little bit tight, but that is because the medicine is absorbed into your pores. It is definately worth it though!! A few times after putting the Duac on at night, I have gotten up in the morning and noticed that the pimples I had the night before are definately less noticable! Thank goodness!!

The only thing I do not like is that it does dry my skin out a little bit. It has been a freezing cold winter here in Ohio, so I think the cold weather (and walking to class every day) might be affecting my skin negatively as well. To counter the dryness, I just use Oil of Olay Active Hydrating Beauty Fluid (in the sensitive skin formula) and it helps a lot if I use right after I wash my face in the morning (before I put on my make-up).

If you are new to topicals, maybe start off using the Duac every other night for a week and see how it goes. I don't know what else you have tried, but I hope you get some good results with the Duac. I am definately going to stick with my routine and will keep everyone posted as to how my skin looks in a couple of months! Good luck!!

Old 01-29-2004, 09:48 PM   #6
    cici89
    (female)

cici89 HB User

soo was there an initial breakout?

Old 01-30-2004, 06:12 AM   #7
    elsie9191

elsie9191 HB User

Laura OSU
    I am in Ohio also at BG. This winter has been a real b*tch on the skin! I also was prescribed duac, but I never started using it because I was going to start taking the pill at the same time and I didn't want to change too many variables at once. But these boards are loaded with positive results from it and I planned to use it if I didn't see results with the pill. The pill cleared me up 99.9% in 3 months. I still get one or rarely two zits right before my period, but it is nothing like it was for the last 6 years. I only wish I would have started taking it like my junior year in high school instead of waiting, but my mom wasn't real high on the idea until after I turned 18.

Old 01-30-2004, 10:26 AM   #8
    LauraOSU05
    (female)

LauraOSU05 HB User

cici - I actually did not have an initial breakout. Fortunately for me, the Duac actually helped clear up the pimples that the Retin-A Micro left behind. Aside from the dryness, my experience so far has been positive....if you have any more questions for me, I check the board at least 1 time a day! Good Luck!

Old 01-30-2004, 10:46 AM   #9
    LauraOSU05
    (female)

LauraOSU05 HB User

elsie -

Gotta love that Ohio weather! NOT!! Earlier this week OSU got pounded with snow and ice and we still had classes. I say that us college students should start boycotting classes!! HeHe!!

Anyways, what pill are you using? My gyno prescribed me Ortho Tri-cyclen Lo at about the same time my derm switched me to Duac.

Since OTC Lo is sometimes associated with an initial breakout, the Duac is supposed to help counter that. So far, the 2 meds working together seem to be helping my skin a lot! Even though I am breaking out a little bit right now, (probably because I am supposed to get my period next week) I think the Duac is helping. Regardless, I am going to use the OTC Lo for the recommended 3 months to make sure I like it.

Your skin sounds like it is doing pretty good with just the pill, so maybe you can use the Duac as a night-time spot treatment. I have found that it does help shrink up pimples when they pop-up occasionally.

Good Luck with school and everything!

Old 01-30-2004, 11:39 AM   #10
    elsie9191

elsie9191 HB User

Yea, we haven't missed a day of class either. (Why didn't I go to the University of Hawaii???) Anyhow, I've been using Azelex along with the pill and I think that helped also. My skin is not oily at all, and everything else I tried really dried me up and I think that might have made things worse instead of better. I'm also using Glytone Lotion which has glycolic acid in it, but it keeps me from getting flakey (face-wise that is ) When I first started the pill, I was also taking Bactrim for a couple months. I still had a bad initial breakout, but eventually it cleared, I stopped the Bactrim and am just on OTC. It's been about 6 or 7 months now and like I said 26 out of 31 days of the month I am completely clear. I look at pictures from like 7th grade till last year, and I can't believe the difference. Good luck on your mid-terms (you guys are taking those now, right?) and stay warm.

Old 01-30-2004, 08:35 PM   #11
    LuckyStar1

LuckyStar1 HB User

Duac gel will not cause an intial breakout. Duac gel is composed of clindamycin, 1% - benzoyl peroxide, 5%). Benzoyl peroxide has an antibacterial effect. It also has a mild drying effect that allows excess oil and dirt to be washed away. Duac does not keep the pores clear (like Differin, or Tazorac) instead it essentially "kills" the acne.
    I have been using Duac gel for months now and i LOVE IT! It "dries" up my acne so fast.

Old 01-31-2004, 12:12 PM   #12
    cici89
    (female)

cici89 HB User

soo how long before it starts working???

Old 01-31-2004, 05:00 PM   #13
    SuperNintendo20

SuperNintendo20 HB User

Well im on duac for 2 monthes and a bit. I had some bad stuff. But trust me, Duac helps. At first i got red, flakey skin, nothing mousturizer cant fix. but now i still have some scars, but iv improved dramatically since i first started. Dont give up theres highs and lows like always. At 2 months, ull be happy

Closed Thread