It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board

• Renal Cell Cancer

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-28-2004, 05:36 AM   #1
    worknmom

worknmom HB User
    Renal Cell Cancer Does anyone know..

My mom was diagnosed with Renal Cell Cancer about two years ago. She had to have her left kidney removed. She also had it in her sternum for which she done radiation treatments for that. Last year she had a biopsy of the sternum it showed to all be dead with no activity. Recently she went for her yearly check up and on an x-ray was spots on both lungs. After having catscans ran, bonescans,x-rays and a bronchoscopy done we were told that her cancer was back. In both lungs, and back in her sternum. The one in her sternum he said was stage IV advanced. What I'm needing to know, is there any other treatments other than radiation or chemo. She is not wanting to do the radiation again. She refuses to do the chemo. I lost my dad right before Thanksgiving last year with prostate cancer. They are too young to die. I'm looking for other answers. If anyone knows of any other treatments out there I would appreciate the help. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by worknmom; 01-28-2004 at 06:16 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2004, 07:31 AM   #2
    timsworld73
    Veteran

timsworld73 HB User
    Re: Renal Cell Cancer

My heart ggoes out to you...it really I dont just say that. My mother is battling liver cancer right now and it is very tough to stay positive. Her faith is the only thing she looks towards right now. As far as your question...have you went to *********** and searched for treatments. That is how I learned of the treatments for our cancer. Good luck

To all the others, my mother is in her second week of chemo. She got jaundice very bad Monday and is having IV fliuds every day this week so she looks almost normal. Her Total Bilirubin was 6.0 Monday and 4.6 on Tuesday. Her Liver enzymes are still high, but that is to be expected. She feels pretty good right now. We just have to get that dang tumor cut in half so we can do surgery.

Old 01-28-2004, 01:36 PM   #3
    worknmom

worknmom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by timsworld73
    My heart ggoes out to you...it really I dont just say that. My mother is battling liver cancer right now and it is very tough to stay positive. Her faith is the only thing she looks towards right now. As far as your question...have you went to *********** and searched for treatments. That is how I learned of the treatments for our cancer. Good luck

To all the others, my mother is in her second week of chemo. She got jaundice very bad Monday and is having IV fliuds every day this week so she looks almost normal. Her Total Bilirubin was 6.0 Monday and 4.6 on Tuesday. Her Liver enzymes are still high, but that is to be expected. She feels pretty good right now. We just have to get that dang tumor cut in half so we can do surgery.
    It is very hard to stay postive. As for faith ours is down right now. Seems like our prayers aren't being answered the way we want them to be. I keep telling myself God knows what's best but it's very hard. I wish your mother all the luck in the world. We went to a different doctor today and he's wanting to send her to a surgeon who will take the cancer from her lungs which both are small at this point and take out and reconstruct her sternum. I'm so thankful she has agreed to this. The ony thing I asked the doctor was to make sure it was going to benefit her before putting her through yet another huge surgery.
    Yes, I have researched on google. There were only radiation and chemo. I was able to find 2 other treatments where they use your own bodies immune system to fight the cancer. I'm truely hoping this doctor is right by his decision.
    You said your mother was on chemo now. Have they tried radiation to shrink the tumor so they can do the surgery? I truely wish you the best my heart goes out to everyone that has been or is going through this with a loved one.

Old 01-29-2004, 06:07 AM   #4
    worknmom

worknmom HB User

I would just like to say that I took my mother to a different doctor yesterday. He specializes in cancer. He told her the only way to get rid of this Renal Cell Cancer was to have it removed. We are waiting for her to go and have another Pet scan done and then they'll be doing surgery to remove the cancer from her lungs and in her sternum. After the visit it seemed as her spirits were lifted. I'm so thankful she decided to have the surgery. I hope everyone that reads this will keep her in their prayers. I'm so glad I found this site. Thanks.
    Worknmom

Old 01-29-2004, 07:22 AM   #5
    timsworld73
    Veteran

timsworld73 HB User

She is truley in my prayers. Me and especially my mother are very spiritual. Not to get religous on you, but we believe Jesus Christ is our Lord and Saviour. My mother is positive that this treatment will work becaue he feels the hands of the Lord on her. She cries only while praying. She has seen personally 2 people that the Lord cured from cancer...one being my grandmother. So we believe in that kind of power. It may be through Doctors that he works through be her faith is unshakable. We are going to do radiation in about 2 month if the tumor has not shrunk. They want to hold off on radiation because radiation leaves scar tissue on the liver and the surgeon says it is a little harder for them to get it out. But radiation probably is in her treatment. I am glad your mother chose to have the surgery. It is a major surgery but I am praying for her to make it through. BTW what is her first name and your first name...I will pray for you. Keep your faith and it will help you in the end.

Tim

Last edited by timsworld73; 01-29-2004 at 07:23 AM.

Old 01-29-2004, 01:27 PM   #6
    worknmom

worknmom HB User

Quote:
    She is truley in my prayers. Me and especially my mother are very spiritual. Not to get religous on you, but we believe Jesus Christ is our Lord and Saviour. My mother is positive that this treatment will work becaue he feels the hands of the Lord on her. She cries only while praying. She has seen personally 2 people that the Lord cured from cancer...one being my grandmother. So we believe in that kind of power. It may be through Doctors that he works through be her faith is unshakable. We are going to do radiation in about 2 month if the tumor has not shrunk. They want to hold off on radiation because radiation leaves scar tissue on the liver and the surgeon says it is a little harder for them to get it out. But radiation probably is in her treatment. I am glad your mother chose to have the surgery. It is a major surgery but I am praying for her to make it through. BTW what is her first name and your first name...I will pray for you. Keep your faith and it will help you in the end.

Tim
    It is ok to get religous. We believe the same way. It's just hard to stay positive when things go the way we don't want. Radiation does leave scar tissue my mother has it on her sternum. I'm thankful too that she decided to have the surgery. I told her that I wouldn't tell her what to do as far as treatment or anything, I told her no matter what her decision I'd be behind her 100%. Believe me that was hard to say, but I knew it would make her feel better. My name is Tracy and my mother's name is Dorothy. If you give me your mother's name we will pray for her as well. Thanks so much. You don't know how much this has helped me.
    Tracy

Old 01-30-2004, 07:16 AM   #7
    timsworld73
    Veteran

timsworld73 HB User

Well Tracy, my name is Tim and my mother's name is Dee. I keep your mother, Dorothy right beside my mother when I pray. I pray that even though times see rough, he give all of us the courage and most important, the faith that we need to get through the tough times in our lives. I pray that Dorothy and my mother have the Lords hands upon them and know that he is the ultimate physician.

Do the Doctors think the if she has the surgery they want her to have, she will have a good survival chance? I was pretty pushy when we went to one Dr. in UCLA and it made a difference. I have my degree in biology and know the human body pretty well. One Dr. told us...we cannot do surgery because the tumor has gotten into the portal vein. I said that they can do liver transplants on 70 year old people and have good outcomes and now your telling me that for a 49 year old healthy women you will do nothing? That is not acceptable. So he sent us to see the surgeon for his opinion. He said he would do surgery if we do chemo and if we had to, radiation to shrink the tumor from 5cm to 2 1/2 cm. We truley believe with all our hearts that the Lord has his hand on this, why? Because he has shown us all in our family signs. I pray for you Tracy, for the Lord to give you strength, and for Dorothy that the hand of God will be around and on her.

Tim

Old 01-30-2004, 01:23 PM   #8
    worknmom

worknmom HB User

Quote:
    Well Tracy, my name is Tim and my mother's name is Dee. I keep your mother, Dorothy right beside my mother when I pray. I pray that even though times see rough, he give all of us the courage and most important, the faith that we need to get through the tough times in our lives. I pray that Dorothy and my mother have the Lords hands upon them and know that he is the ultimate physician.

Do the Doctors think the if she has the surgery they want her to have, she will have a good survival chance? I was pretty pushy when we went to one Dr. in UCLA and it made a difference. I have my degree in biology and know the human body pretty well. One Dr. told us...we cannot do surgery because the tumor has gotten into the portal vein. I said that they can do liver transplants on 70 year old people and have good outcomes and now your telling me that for a 49 year old healthy women you will do nothing? That is not acceptable. So he sent us to see the surgeon for his opinion. He said he would do surgery if we do chemo and if we had to, radiation to shrink the tumor from 5cm to 2 1/2 cm. We truley believe with all our hearts that the Lord has his hand on this, why? Because he has shown us all in our family signs. I pray for you Tracy, for the Lord to give you strength, and for Dorothy that the hand of God will be around and on her.

Tim
    Thank you Tim you don't know how much this helps knowing I have someone else to pray for us. I'll be praying for you and your mother Dee as well. We can't go wrong with prayers that's for sure. That was one of the questions I asked this doctor, was she going to benefit from this surgery? He said yes that she will live longer. She's only 55 years old and that's too young in my book. She still has so much to live for, and the family needs her too much. She's healthy other than that, so we are hoping everything will turn out for the best. She's suppose to go Feb. 6th to get another pet scan run. Then we should know when they'll be doing the surgery. From what the doctor said he wants it to be soon before it spreads anywhere else. How is your mother doing? Know that I will keep you both in my prayers. Tracy

Old 01-31-2004, 07:44 AM   #9
    timsworld73
    Veteran

timsworld73 HB User

Hello Tracy,

Well today(Sat) we are going to go to Griffith Park near Los Angeles. We try to get out of town every weekend. This last week my mother had to go the cancer center and get IV fluids. Monday she was so yellow and so weak so I took her to my office and gave her 2 bags of fluids IV. We ran blood work and her Total Bilirubin was 6.6, which is very very high. So the cancer center told her to come in every day for a bag of fluids. As of Friday her Total Bilirubin was 2.5 A little high but it looks like it is getting better each day. She has to drink lots of water. She looks alot better and is finally eating...alot actually. They gave her Megace. She does her chemo every day...5 FU 24 hours a day via a pump in her porta-cath. She goes in every Tuesday to get cisplatin. Waiting is the hard part. They told us that it takes time to get the tumor shrunk. First we have to slow it down from growing, then stop it from growing, then it will start shrinking. We have to get it down to about 2 1/2 cm. Right now it is about 5 cm. Once the chemo shrinks it down they can go in and either cut it out or do cryosurgery or radiofrequency ablasion. She has a little part of the tumor on her portal vein. Dr. said when they take another MRI and it if it is still blocking, they will do radiation on that one place to get it out of there. But she is feeling pretty good. Her blood count is perfect, no infections. We just have to wait. It feels like forever and it has only been 2 1/2 weeks. How is Dorothy doing. I still have her in my prayers. And we know that God will heal this one way or another, right ?!!!! My mother is only 49 years old so she is very young and there should be alot of treatments she can try besides chemo. But we gave it to God and stopped worring. She has been prayed for and we know that thr tumor is going to start shrinking. I pray for both of you. Is Dorothy on chemo right now. Ill check back after we get back from Griffith Park.

Tim

Old 01-31-2004, 08:08 AM   #10
    worknmom

worknmom HB User

Quote:
    Hello Tracy,

Well today(Sat) we are going to go to Griffith Park near Los Angeles. We try to get out of town every weekend. This last week my mother had to go the cancer center and get IV fluids. Monday she was so yellow and so weak so I took her to my office and gave her 2 bags of fluids IV. We ran blood work and her Total Bilirubin was 6.6, which is very very high. So the cancer center told her to come in every day for a bag of fluids. As of Friday her Total Bilirubin was 2.5 A little high but it looks like it is getting better each day. She has to drink lots of water. She looks alot better and is finally eating...alot actually. They gave her Megace. She does her chemo every day...5 FU 24 hours a day via a pump in her porta-cath. She goes in every Tuesday to get cisplatin. Waiting is the hard part. They told us that it takes time to get the tumor shrunk. First we have to slow it down from growing, then stop it from growing, then it will start shrinking. We have to get it down to about 2 1/2 cm. Right now it is about 5 cm. Once the chemo shrinks it down they can go in and either cut it out or do cryosurgery or radiofrequency ablasion. She has a little part of the tumor on her portal vein. Dr. said when they take another MRI and it if it is still blocking, they will do radiation on that one place to get it out of there. But she is feeling pretty good. Her blood count is perfect, no infections. We just have to wait. It feels like forever and it has only been 2 1/2 weeks. How is Dorothy doing. I still have her in my prayers. And we know that God will heal this one way or another, right ?!!!! My mother is only 49 years old so she is very young and there should be alot of treatments she can try besides chemo. But we gave it to God and stopped worring. She has been prayed for and we know that thr tumor is going to start shrinking. I pray for both of you. Is Dorothy on chemo right now. Ill check back after we get back from Griffith Park.

Tim
    Hello Tim,
    So, you have your degree in biology are you a doctor? You mother is young too! Glad to hear that she is doing a little better. I've got you both in my prayers as well. Yes, we have to give it to God to take care of. He is the only one with the strength and power to do so. The waiting part is the hardest. My mom isn't doing any kind of treatment right now. They are waiting to see what the pet scan shows this Friday. I'm praying it hasn't spread anywhere else. She is still working though. She is a very strong woman. I admire her so much. As soon as they get the results from the scan they are suppose to call her and let her know when we go see the surgeon. The cancer doctor told us that chemo nor radiation would help her with this kind of cancer. Although the radiation did evidently shrink the cancer in her sternum. What I don't understand is that another surgeon had done blood work and a biopsy of her sternum last year...everything turned out wonderful then all of a sudden it's back in stage IV advanced?! This is in her sternum only. The cancer in her lungs is in the early stages and that's why they say they can remove them. Do you know if it came back in stage IV advanced, was this the stage it was in before radiation? Or is it possible that the biopsy was done wrong? Sorry don't mean to confuse you.. I think they should have done a pet scan or MRI or something else other than the biopsy.
    Well, I hope you have a good weekend. I take you are in CA? We are in Missouri.. I'll keep my prayers going for you and Dee....
    Tracy

Old 01-31-2004, 01:23 PM   #11
    worknmom

worknmom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hbguide1
    Just a reminder that HealthBoards is for Peer Support only.
    Member are not to reveal a healthcare professional title when posting since they can lend undue weight to what may be a personal opinion.
    Sharing opinions and advice as Peers is what HealthBoards is designed for!

hbguide1
    Sorry I understand completely.

Closed Thread