It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• To Anti-Suboxone Posters

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-30-2004, 04:19 AM   #16
    lisaaahubb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lisaaahubb HB User
    Re: To Anti-Suboxone Posters

Banker---i 100% agree with you.....if sub. prevents us from drug seeking and that crazy up and down cycle, then it is giving us our lives back.....
    I am definitely "for" the use of suboxone....i am in the process of finding a doctor now. My insurance doesn't cover it!!!!! I wonder why?????? I am having a real hard time here in CT, even though there is a list a mile long of sub. doctors....you either can't get in for months or the number is out of service. Me and hubby are considering paying for it outright,.....but he is having a problem with that because i never "paid" for pills, so financially my pill popping hasn't destroyed us,,,,, that is about the only thing those freaking pills HAVEN'T destroyed!!!
    Well i am all for it and it seems to be a maintanence drug, which is exactly what i am looking for. Especially after seeing what has happended with Happy Father....i just want OUT!!! Whatever works to keep us sane and sober...right?!?!?!
    luv,
    LISA

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2004, 04:47 AM   #17
    spark-o-cet
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

spark-o-cet HB User

lisa have you gotten divorced yet i think you said awhile back that you were gonna file for divorce no matter what.just wondered if you changed your mind now that you are talkin about suboxne-spark

Old 01-30-2004, 04:55 AM   #18
    lisaaahubb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lisaaahubb HB User

Hey Spark....plans still remain the same....he is still a very uncaring person toward me and this is the last thing i need while i am trying to get my life back on track. I see the "fear" in his eyes, he knows it is coming. I just can't live this way anymore. We don't even talk at night. Never mind sex...
    I just want to be treated like a "woman" not a slave/daycare provider. I am better off w/out someone in my life....i really think he is like some kind of "drug" for me....he is going to go along with the pills
    Thanks for asking about me...
    luv,
    LISA
    P.s. How are you doing???????

Old 01-30-2004, 06:14 AM   #19
    Gabbi

Gabbi HB User

HI,
    I was on sub for 3 months and I thought it was great as well, it served it's purpose I got to a place where I wasn't spending tons of money, pill popping chasing that high, actually felt "normal" for the first time in a long time. I got my finances back together and school back on track. But, for me after that, I wanted to really feel normal drug free normal. So I think it depends on the person, for some it motivates them to take it to that next level that they couldn't see when they were high, for some it saves their lives. It is scary that there isn't too much known, my Dr told me he hasn't had anyone successfully stop taking the sub, they get down to small mg and then can't take it anymore.

I truly appreciate chef and even spark's honesty about the wd. When I first started it, it was ALL Positive and I didn't know any of the negatives. So I think it's imp for people to know both sides to the story, and make an informed decision. There is just know way to skip the WD's.

Banker, I guess what I'm saying is enjoy the place your in right now. You have taken a step in the direction of recovery. You should be proud of yourself. You are not popping pills and chasing the high and that is great. Everyone is just trying to fight this addiction who cares how you win it??

Gabbi

Old 01-30-2004, 08:43 AM   #20
    Banker
    Senior Veteran

Banker HB User

Thanks Gabbi - how are you doing now? How were the withdrawals and did you taper? Do you still have cravings now that you are off of it? Please let me know... It's so hard when you are on it because I feel like I never had an addiction problem so it makes me think if I stopped taking it, I would be fine. But deep down inside, I feel like I would just go back to being my druggy self that I was before the Sub. Thanks again and let me know...

Old 01-30-2004, 08:59 AM   #21
    Gabbi

Gabbi HB User

Hi,
    No, I didn't wd from the sub. I was on it for a couple mos and got a horrible toothache and finally caved and took some vikes with the intention of going right back on the sub.....but that didn't happen. I went on like a 2 month binge, but I remembered how normal I felt on the sub and that I really wanted to be clean, so I CT when I knew I had some down time. I had a bottle of sub in my drawer the whole time, in case it got that bad. But, I just toughed it out, it was awful, but thankfully over and it's been 5 weeks now.

I know you feel torn sometimes like oh I traded one drug for another. You do, BUT it is one step closer to sobriety, you are not chasing that high and all the other things and you've given up the choice to get "high" so I really don't think there's anything wrong with taking the sub. It's what you do now that matters....fix any problems, go to support meetings (you don't have to tell them your on sub), and decide when and how you are going to take the next step.

Some people think that they'll be on sub their whole life, at a lower dose for depression, maybe there is something to that. We have messed up a lot of receptors. I guess my point is don't be down on yourself, enjoy being "normal" and functional. I felt the same way on the sub like what addiction...I don't have a problem. Oh how quickly we forget, as I anxiously sat in the dentist chair waiting for my script!!!
    Gabbi

Old 01-30-2004, 11:06 AM   #22
    LaynesADDICTI0N

LaynesADDICTI0N HB User

I never said suboxone didnt work, I said it was made to rid the clinics system and that's not going to happen. Not every addict has a computer, and not everyone posts on message boards. But if it's working for you then you have nothing to lose but to stick with the program. right? Best of luck with your recovery.

Old 01-30-2004, 11:15 AM   #23
    LaynesADDICTI0N

LaynesADDICTI0N HB User

BTW there are a lot of case studies with using suboxone for other psychological/mental and physical illnesses that effect the brain. This would be the first opioid that was ever used in non-opiate dependent patients since siggy was alive.

Last edited by LaynesADDICTI0N; 01-30-2004 at 11:15 AM.

Old 01-31-2004, 06:22 AM   #24
    sadsister
    Inactive

sadsister HB User

Hi all-
    Suboxone is an option..like methadone for detox/or maitainence..for those addicts that have done enough damage that getting off seems impossible.
    Personally-i could care less if someone thinks im taking the easy way out-or im substituting..I was hardcore..big habit/with zero quality of life when i was off the drugs.All i could do was crave/lay around depressed..cos i wanted to get high.Suboxone works those receptors like a champ..lol..so you can get on w/ living..some clarity/im not sitting around all day dreaming about drugs.
    i still crave-but now its more of a passing thought.
    LIlas mom-glad to hear your daughter is doing the sub..and shes doing well!Alright!Another success story..
    We are all entitled to our opinions..but for banker/murph/and the rest of us that are doing ok..w/this med..it may have saved our lives.
    Goddess Bless!
    heather

Old 01-31-2004, 06:46 AM   #25
    spark-o-cet
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

spark-o-cet HB User

if sub was made for depression and any doc could give it to us i think i might go back to it for depression but i really dont see this happening do anybody else?-spark

Old 01-31-2004, 06:51 AM   #26
    John 808
    Inactive

John 808 HB User

I really don't either...as it is an opiate! Just my opinion!

michelle

Old 01-31-2004, 07:09 AM   #27
    jan22

jan22 HB User

Do doctors expect you to only stay on sub for a limited time or will they allow patients to stay on it as long as they need to or forever for that matter?
    Jan

Old 01-31-2004, 07:48 PM   #28
    Banker
    Senior Veteran

Banker HB User

I've heard of both stories. My doctor said he would recommend a minimum of 6 months but preferably two years. However, he said that I could stay on it as long as I wanted to. He said I would have to tell HIM when I was ready to start getting off of it. He literally said, if you want to take it the rest of your life, fine w/me. So, I don't know what the future holds for me, I just know I'm doing great now and have no plans to get off of it anytime soon. I've only been on it for about 2 and 1/2 months.

Old 01-31-2004, 08:00 PM   #29
    jan22

jan22 HB User

I wish this was an option for me. I would give anything not to crave these pills anymore. No one knows about my problem and I have a sensitive job. I would probably be fired if anyone suspected I had a problem. I am glad you are able to do this and it is helping you so much. From all of the posts I have read it sounds like a very good option for people who have not been able to kick this.
    Thanks for answering my question.
    Jan

Old 01-31-2004, 11:23 PM   #30
    Murphy555

Murphy555 HB User

Banker,
    I think you bring up an interesting topic for discussion.
    I have not yet read anybody elses posts yet becasue I just wanted to respond to yours and then read.
    I believe I was here at some point before you Banker. I don't remember you.

My present is, is that I am not on suboxone, 8mg/day and doing very well on it. I am very grateful. When I first got here I was so scared; I was taking 20-25 vicodin per day for 4 months (a relapse). This board also helped me through a detox, but I relapsed again.

I was very afraid to take the suboxone because it was an unknown to me. At that time, there were many, many people (sparko-cet will probably remember) who had just started to take suboxone and said it was a miracle drug, a wonder, and were very very happy to have found it.

I came along, did research on it, and asked alot of questions; like what happens when you want to withdraw from suboxone? And isn't it really like substituting one addiction for another. These were questions to help me make a decision because I was waffling so much. I did not mean to put any kind of damper on suboxone, but I guess i did by bringing up any possible negative thing about it, because people began to get mad at me for even asking these questions. People perhaps didn't want to face the reality of the answers to the questions at that time probably because they were where you are now - doing well, it's saved your life (as it did mine). It bothered people so much that there were many complaints about me and my comments about suboxone. They were really innocent and I certainly did not want to put a damper on anybody elses progress with it. I just wanted to know. Is it true that it's easier to withdraw from than pills. I swore to myself I would never get on methadone because I heard so many nightmares about people taking a year to get off and feeling so bad for so long. Was this going to be the same? The Drs. told me know. And the people on the boards weren't exactly sure but told me know.

So, while I understand where you are coming from, exactly, with what you are feeling every time someone talks about the problems of suboxone, I also identify with them somewhat. I know they don't mean to burst your bubble of mine.

I personally though have a big problem with those that go the NA route, and congratulations to them for working hard and somehow manage to stay sober, to hold it against those that have not been able to sto relapsing, so they choose another form of treatment, like suboxone. I asked my counselor recently, because they want me to go to NA meetings, etc. what do I say about suboxone, because even in the group meetings, some people resented me for taking suboxone, and their insurance wouldn't cover it so they had to do it the 'hard' way. What they don't understand, is that I did it the hard way too, so many times.

Am I taking the easy way out? I don't know. But at this point, I don't care. I'm absolutely thrilled to suddenly be off pills completely, not tempted. Wow, what an accomplishment for me. I was going to take Spark-o-Cet advise a month ago and quit early like his girlfriend, but I truly did not feel mentally ready. So I didn't. And, I would have no problem taking it for life if I felt that was best. Society will always try and make you feel guilty, and that in turn makes others feel guilty within themselves sometimes that they are just substituting. I try not to care what other people think, but how am I doing - feeling, etc.

What others think is not important when it comes to this. Maybe someday I will get off, but I'm not going to start worrying about withdrawal until that day comes.

And Banker, if it makes you feel any better, everybody's chemistry is different. I talked to a client of my Dr who got off suboxone with minimal problems after a 3 months taper. She didn't miss work, wasn't sick, and said it no way compared to getting off pills. So - everyone is different.

I apologize for being so long-winded.
    Murphy

Closed Thread