It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Acne Message Board

  • Home Phototherapy for Mild/Moderate Acne

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 01-29-2004, 03:56 AM   #46
    ErimusValidus
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    ErimusValidus's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Location: Oxford, UK
    Posts: 1,155
    ErimusValidus HB User
    Re: Home Phototherapy for Mild/Moderate Acne

    It's hard to determine the exact extent to which the Dermalux is helping me since I'm also in the process of overhauling my diet. What I can say is that since using the Dermalux unit my outbreaks have been less angry (basically not cystic). Since coupling that with diet my outbreaks have been virtually non-existent. This represents a complete turnaround in my condition, so I'm extremely happy and optimistic. But the timeframe is too short to tell the full benefits yet. I've been using the Dermalux for two weeks and I modified my diet one week ago. I know this isn't a very scientific test and I apologise to people wanting to know exactly how efficient light treatment can be. But what I aim to achieve is a level of skin clarity that is maintainable through a less strict diet and regular light treatment.

    I predict it will take at least two months to see if this goal is actually possible. If my skin clears at the rate it has been for the past two weeks then I should be acne-free (and even almost scar-free and of refined skin texture) within the two month timescale. Once I've achieved that I will start experimenting with my diet to see what is tolerable. The main reason I've chosen the two month period is because the beneficial effects of the Dermalux unit supposedly increase for 8 weeks. If the unit is on top of things (in terms of killing the P. acnes) by the 8 week mark then maybe I will be able to relax my diet. Who knows? I for one would like to
    __________________
    I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly because you tread on my dreams...

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 01-29-2004, 07:21 AM   #47
    Clark
    Member
     
    Clark's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Location: U.S.A.
    Posts: 89
    Clark HB User
    Re: Home Phototherapy for Mild/Moderate Acne

    Jhart and Neca - I am a long-time reader first-time poster. I have been watching this thread with great anticipation, as I have been trying to obtain some feedback regarding the dermalux unit for some time now. Thank you for your progress reports, and I am extatic that all appears to be going well at this point. Please continue to update us with your progress and thoughts. My goal would be to do exactly as Jhart plans -- use dermalux to be able to reduce the rigidity of a diet method.

    As a side note, I have been trying for months to purchase a dermalux unit, but have been unable to do so because the company is unable/unwilling to ship to the U.S. At one point they even "placed" my order and took a credit card number, but never followed through and never gave me any information. Their "answering service" has not been very helpful. I know ebay is an option, but my searches do not show any units there.

    Thanks again for continued reporting.

     
    Old 01-29-2004, 08:43 AM   #48
    ErimusValidus
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    ErimusValidus's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Location: Oxford, UK
    Posts: 1,155
    ErimusValidus HB User
    Re: Home Phototherapy for Mild/Moderate Acne

    Clark, there are other systems available in the US. Do a search for Verilux and AcneLamp for starters I think you'll find the prices cheaper than our Dermalux equivalent and delivery shouldn't be an issue. Good luck!
    __________________
    I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly because you tread on my dreams...

     
    Old 01-29-2004, 09:41 AM   #49
    progessmaker
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    progessmaker's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Location: USA
    Posts: 22
    progessmaker HB User
    Re: Home Phototherapy for Mild/Moderate Acne

    Hi Jhart. Wow the two of us seem to be on the same pathlink. I have been doing very well since doing a juice fasting & changing part of my diet around as well. I am a slim person so I really had to eat more after the juice fast because I lost weight that I didn't need to lose but I have it back now. Anyway, I ordered the Verilux Happy Skin lamp a couple of weeks ago because I wanted to test out a theory as well. See I had done really well after going through the ClearLight (lamp) program over the summer but it is really expensive & the maintenance visits didn't seem to be frequent enough in my opinion in order for it to manage the acne, plus the Cosmetic surgeon that I went to see had changed the skincare products that I was suppose to use with Clearlight & it seemed to have a negative effect on my skin. So I just recently purchased the skincare products for people with hyperpigmentation (I am a woman of color) & then decided to purchase the Verilux lamp to see if I could achieve the same results as the cosmetic surgeon. Anyone who has gone through Clearlight probably knows how amazing the results are because I hadn't had that kind of clearing in many years. Anyway, I remember you mentioning about the lamps which was very helpful information so I said what did I have to lose since my skin was already doing really well from the diet change & I want to get close to 100% clearance. The diet change helped a lot with the cystic acne, but I wanted something to help me keep it at bay. Anyway, it has been two weeks & since I am familiar with Clearlight I know how the process works so I have been amazed that it appears to be achieving the same results as Clearlight for a much cheaper price, plus you use it everyday. No cystic outbreaks & current marks left over from acne are fading rapidly. The lamp is fine for people with hyperpigmentation because clearlight cleared mine up. I would just recommend using a skincare program like I use (Newport Cosmeceuticals) if you have hyperpigmentation. So finally I think with every thing together I can manage my acne very well.

     
    Old 01-29-2004, 04:31 PM   #50
    ErimusValidus
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    ErimusValidus's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Location: Oxford, UK
    Posts: 1,155
    ErimusValidus HB User
    Re: Home Phototherapy for Mild/Moderate Acne

    Hi progressmaker Are you saying that your Verilux unit is helping as much as the Clearlight treatments did? I'm really glad for you. And I agree, we do seem to have a similar plan. At its worst my acne is cystic, but I can reduce the severity of the outbreaks through diet, but not 100%. That's why I have been interested in using light treatment as well. I think acne is such a complex problem that it cannot simply be tackled on one front - we need to address the internal and external factors. I hope that by using blue light to eliminate bacteria I will be complementing my dietary adjustments. And I believe it is working. Time will tell. Good luck to you, progressmaker, I sincerely hope you live up to your nickname

    Neca will be interested to know how your hyperpigmentation responds to the light, by the way.
    __________________
    I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly because you tread on my dreams...

     
    Old 01-31-2004, 07:54 AM   #51
    Clark
    Member
     
    Clark's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Location: U.S.A.
    Posts: 89
    Clark HB User
    Re: Home Phototherapy for Mild/Moderate Acne

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jhart999
    Clark, there are other systems available in the US. Do a search for Verilux and AcneLamp for starters I think you'll find the prices cheaper than our Dermalux equivalent and delivery shouldn't be an issue. Good luck!
    Thanks for the tips Jhart. I am familiar with both the Verilux and AcneLamp products, but am going to hold out and try to obtain one of the Dermalux units. I have not seen any feedback regarding the Verilux and AcneLamp products, and for some reason they just look cheaper than the Dermalux.

    What are your thoughts regarding the Dermalux efficacy after a couple of more days of usage?

     
    Old 02-01-2004, 05:19 AM   #52
    Neca
    Veteran
     
    Neca's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2003
    Posts: 422
    Neca HB User
    Re: Home Phototherapy for Mild/Moderate Acne

    DAY 10:

    Before I write up my update I just want to say thanks to the new posters for posting: pjlc, skimom, clark and progressmaker. I hope Jhart and me can give you guys a good representation on how effective our Clearlite units are.

    Well guys, I have tried to leave a large enough space as possible since my last post to see if there have been any further improvements in my condition. It has now been 5 days since posting my last update and unfortunately this is an update I really would not have wanted to post.

    The main reason is because the past few days have resulted in a huge stepback. My skin condition is currently what is was before I started using the Clearlite box. My acne has, sadly enough, been 're-stimulated' and now I am getting whiteheads, blackheads and worst of all patches of blemishes all over my cheeks. The healing time is no different to what it was before I started using the unit. These marks take ages to go away. And basically it seems as if I am now just wasting my time using it because it feels like the Clearlite box is making absolutely no difference to my skin whatsoever.

    I am very upset at the moment and also very confused. After a week's use of the Clearlite box my skin improvements were great. Like Jhart said, skin healing was much quicker and efficient and I would develop a spot one day and the next it would be gone (that is if any did infact develop, I think I only experienced one maybe two). Now it's as if this form of acne treatment is like any other...they work in the beginning but then slowly peter off. But this is so strange, how can it suddenly go from dramatic improvements so no improvements in SUCH a short space of time.

    I'm trying to think back to whether I have done anything wrong regarding the treatments. But all I do is: 15mins front facial, 2.5minutes for left cheek and 2.5minutes for right cheek both morning and evening. Maybe I have been sitting to close to the unit? I did notice after day 5 that I have had a tendency of sitting way too close because I have got more comfortable with the unit. But I did correct this recently by sitting further back but it made no difference. Do you think, as I bought it second-hand on eBay, that the lamps aren't working any more? The person I bought it off said he had used it for a total of 20-30 hours and did give me a detailed explanation of when and how he used it. Maybe I should try changing the bulbs, I don't know?

    All I know is this has been a big drop for me and just when I was beginning to get some glimpse of confidence back in myself. I knew I shouldn't have jinxed it by writing such a positive update at the start.

    Also, I have a very healthy diet and am not using any antibiotics. I just wash my face with aqueous cream in the morning and evening and I might apply one or two pea-size amounts of BP (2.5%) to any spot(s).

    Anyway I do hope everyone else who uses it doesn't experience the ineffectiveness I have experienced. The only conclusion I could make if you were all experiencing amazing improvements would be that my unit needs it's bulbs replacing...

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skimom
    I'm very interested in these machines since my daughter experiences total clearing every summer without doing anything else besides wakeboarding in the sun....It makes sense that it's the light that helps.
    Unfortunately the only thing that is 100% to clear you completely is the sun. I just wish something could be done about those damn U.V. rays. But skimom, your daughter may benefit from Clearlite just see what other posters say regarding the unit. As Dermalux says some people may find it effective, others may not. I just don't get why it worked originally then it stopped.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jhart999
    I predict it will take at least two months to see if this goal is actually possible. If my skin clears at the rate it has been for the past two weeks then I should be acne-free (and even almost scar-free and of refined skin texture) within the two month timescale.
    JH, I too was considering this timescale and if you are still experiencing such remarkable improvements as you are then you will definitely be within the 2 months timescale. I am very happy that even your skin is 're-generating' its scars...that is great man! Keep us updated on that, because if it continues to happen it would almost seem like a miracle for you.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clark
    I have been trying for months to purchase a dermalux unit, but have been unable to do so because the company is unable/unwilling to ship to the U.S.
    Clark, I just checked eBay now and there are 2 Dermalux units for sale on there (not including the 207 units Dermalux are trying to sell there). If you are quick you might be able to purchase one. Both the sellers say they post to U.K. only but I'm sure if you drop them an email and ask them to send to US they will. Even if you miss out on these 2 auctions, whenever I have checked eBay, there has almost always been a few Dermalux's for sale so just keep checking. The Verilux and AcneLamps haven't been reviewed on here however if you do a search you may find some reviews on the web somewhere else. I found a couple of the Dermalux reviews on other sites. Just check other acne pages.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by progessmaker
    The lamp is fine for people with hyperpigmentation because clearlight cleared mine up. I would just recommend using a skincare program like I use (Newport Cosmeceuticals) if you have hyperpigmentation. So finally I think with every thing together I can manage my acne very well.
    Hi Progressmaker, you say the lamp improved your hyperpigmentation which is great but can I ask how serious was your hyperpigmentation and did you experience it on your face? Has it totally disappeared now? Will the hyperpigmentation on my nose only disappear if I use the lamp in conjunction with those products you mentioned...Newport Cosmeceuticals, are they skin lightening creams? Currently the lamp has done nothing to improve or worsen my hyperpigmentation. Thanks.

    I hope you guys find my update useful, sorry if it disheartens any of you but I am trying to come to terms with why it doesn't work for me. Any ideas would be very useful. Thanks

     
    Old 02-01-2004, 08:00 AM   #53
    Clark
    Member
     
    Clark's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Location: U.S.A.
    Posts: 89
    Clark HB User
    Re: Home Phototherapy for Mild/Moderate Acne

    Neca - Thanks for the reply and update. I am sorry to hear that things have taken a turn for the worse, but after only 10 days I certainly would not give up on the dermalux treatment. I don't believe that anything should take the often-cited "12 weeks" before improvement is visible, but I would give it a couple more weeks.

    Neca, in the past have you noticed that you tend to experience improved skin after exposure to the sun?

    Thanks for the ebay research. I'm going to check it now. I actually received an email response from Dermalux referring me to the Verilux product for U.S. shipment.

     
    Old 02-01-2004, 08:53 AM   #54
    progessmaker
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    progessmaker's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Location: USA
    Posts: 22
    progessmaker HB User
    Re: Home Phototherapy for Mild/Moderate Acne

    Hi Neca, I am sorry to hear about your reoccurance problem with the acne. I think it could be a couple things that might be setting it back & it may not be the lamp. For me as a long time acne sufferer I know that it has often been difficult to stick with one product for any real length of time, especially if it seems like at some point the acne might get a little worse in the course of using a product. We want to see results right away & no back-sliding but I have learned that sticking with some things long enough, you will see results.

    Also, it might cause confusion with you referring to these lamps as ClearLight lamps because they are not the same. With Clearlight it is this huge machine that sits over you while you lay on a bed with goggles on. It is more powerful than these lamps & they can adjust it to zero in on specific areas better than these. With ClearLight you go for 15 minutes 2 times a week for 4 weeks & the change is usually drastic by the 3rd week but it is subtle because you don't really feel anything with it but your skin looks much clearer. With Clearlight there is a warm sensation & the machine counts down instructing you to turn your head to the left at 6 minutes to go & then to the right at 3 minutes left. With Clearlight they will usually give you skin products to use with it, which I think is key & for me because I had bad hyperpigmentation on my face (especially my cheeks) from not using sun screen & years of wearing make-up. I am like a Mocha complexion & I had several dark marks from acne on my face that would normally take more than a month to heal if that long. The hyperpigmentation kit that Cosmetic Surgeon gave me to use with Clear Light included a mild gel cleanser, collagen rebuilding serum, bufifng granules (I don't use those often), ultra hydrating moisturizer, a lightening gel that has hydroquinone & kojic acid which makes it very gentle on my skin of color, cell regeneration creme, & SPF moisturizer. Now these products are pharmaceutical grade & are specifically formulated to work with treatments like Clearlight or microdermabrasion. Nothing in the store not even products like Clinique or Prescriptives are on their level. If you research on Clearlight you will see that one of the issues it addresses is hyperpigmentation so it is very safe for that. I think the skin care products make the difference because when my cosmetic surgeon switched that product line to another one that wasn't the same I started breaking out. Now that I ordered the products myself & I am using them again & I see a drastic improvement.


    I am happy to report that my Verilux lamp is working very well for me along with the skin care products & everything else I am doing. My skin is getting back to its even tone, my dark marks have faded alot again, & the best part is the cystic acne is gone. That started going away with the skincare products being used 1st after about a week. I had one under my chin that nothing was working on & now it is flat & the dark mark is fading fast. It could be a hormonal thing with you if you are female & if it is around time of the month. I start to take B6 vitamins around time of the month to control any possible outbreaks & that works well for me. I am on to something here & I will stick with it. I get up in the morning & use the system for about 7 minutes, then after a half hour or so I apply my skin care products. Then in the evening is when I go for 15 minutes & after about an hour I apply my skincare products. All the products except for the moisturizers contain glycolic acid & that is key because that helps to exfoliate but the moisturizers keep the skin from visibly peeling. That is why you have to use the entire system together & can't skip any steps. You wouldn't be able to tell that my skin is exfoliating because it looks moisturized. Maybe you should wait to hear Jharts progress before deciding if you should continue or not. We are all different so what works for some may not work for others, the key is in finding what works for you. I wish you a lot of luck.

     
    Old 02-01-2004, 09:00 AM   #55
    Ruthy
    Member
    (female)
     
    Ruthy's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2001
    Posts: 83
    Ruthy HB User
    Re: Home Phototherapy for Mild/Moderate Acne

    Neca - So sorry you have had a set back, but I would not give up yet. I've been reading JHart/you and were so encouraged that I ordered red/blue bulbs for my son. We are still waiting for their arrival this week. He is also still drinking blueberry smoothies - but I really don't know if that helps or not.

    In regards to clearing up after being in the sun, my son experienced a similar experience. Two summers ago, I took him to a tanning salon for a couple or months to help clear his skin, and it really worked! After hearing of the possibility of it causing skin cancer we stopped going, and his acne returned.

    One other thought..... last summer he suffered from a pretty bad sunburn, and it caused him to break out pretty bad. I think the worse the burn, the more possiblity to break out --- at least for him. Even though the Dermalux doesn't emit UV rays, do you suppose your are using it too much? Just a thought. I know dermatologists in the U.S. routinely have their patients visit twice a week initially for Clearlight treatments.

    thanks for your updates and hope your progress takes a turn for the better soon.

     
    Old 02-01-2004, 11:04 AM   #56
    ErimusValidus
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    ErimusValidus's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Location: Oxford, UK
    Posts: 1,155
    ErimusValidus HB User
    Re: Home Phototherapy for Mild/Moderate Acne

    Yes, very sorry to hear about your disappointing last few days Neca I myself haven't enjoyed quite the level of success I dared hoped for after the promising start. But I certainly haven't broken out worse. I'm still getting new acne but I'm sure the unit is helping it heal quicker. I would hazard a guess that it's killing bacteria in the active acne and making them short-lived. Unfortunately, though, it doesn't seem quite as effective at actually preventing the outbreaks in the first place. But I would say, on balance, that I am breaking out less than before I started using the unit. My advice is stick with it. If your skin is anything like mine you'll enjoy relative clarity after this bad spell. I hope so.

    Ruthy, the sunburn probably caused your son to break out badly because it was over-drying and the skin compensated by frantically producing lots of sebum. Blue and red light therapy (at least at the intensities we're talking about) doesn't cause dryness and there are supposedly no limits on how much they should be used.
    __________________
    I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly because you tread on my dreams...

     
    Old 02-02-2004, 05:08 PM   #57
    Ruthy
    Member
    (female)
     
    Ruthy's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2001
    Posts: 83
    Ruthy HB User
    Re: Home Phototherapy for Mild/Moderate Acne

    The red & blue 150's arrived today and treatment has begun!! We are hoping for great success!!

     
    Old 02-02-2004, 10:10 PM   #58
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Feb 2001
    Location: CA
    Posts: 687
    skimom HB User
    Re: Home Phototherapy for Mild/Moderate Acne

    Well, I couldn't resist so I ordered a Verilux. It arrived within 24 hours. I couldn't believe it. I don't think my dear child has used it yet. I'll let you all know how we're doing.

     
    Old 02-06-2004, 09:04 AM   #59
    Neca
    Veteran
     
    Neca's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2003
    Posts: 422
    Neca HB User
    Re: Home Phototherapy for Mild/Moderate Acne

    DAY 15:

    Hey guys, another progress update. I've just passed two weeks now using the Dermalux box and well things haven't really changed much. My skin is still experiencing the same condition as before. But what is strange is that I am experiencing more skin problems on my nose and chin than anywhere else on my face. Surely if anything, this part of my face should be the most 'clear' as it is directly exposed to the Dermalux unit for the longest period of time?! Before I used the unit, my cheeks would suffer the most from acne but now my nose and chin are suffering aswell

    I really am not sure if the Dermalux is making any difference to my skin whatsoever (I know I'm repeating myself from the previous post) but I do know that the next week (Week 3) is the make or break one. I am hoping to see some improvements then because if nothing happens I really can't imagine how weeks 4-8 are going to be any different. I do apologise for my pessimism but I'm still trying to get over the fact that my skin was looking really good after week 1 then 10 days later the improvements just sloped off and I went back to normal.

    Furthermore, I haven't been experiencing any of the quick healing that you guys have been experiencing. When I get a spot it still takes the same amount of time to disappear. But there is no way I am going to give up as I REALLY want to see if the Dermalux box works so only time will tell.

    I get the opinion that the Dermalux unit is great for curbing cystic problems as many of you have been promoting this in your posts.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clark
    Neca, in the past have you noticed that you tend to experience improved skin after exposure to the sun?
    Definitely! The sun is my only friend. Whenever I experience long exposure to the sun, my skin looks great..not a pimple or blemish in sight. Unfortunately it is dangerous to overdo the UV exposure. Nevertheless, I am considering purchasing one of those facial sun-bed unit things but would make sure I don't overuse it. And obviously I would not use it in conjunction with the Dermalux unit as that wouldn't make the test fair. I would use it probably after 8 weeks.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by progessmaker
    I know that it has often been difficult to stick with one product for any real length of time, especially if it seems like at some point the acne might get a little worse in the course of using a product.

    Also, it might cause confusion with you referring to these lamps as ClearLight lamps because they are not the same.

    The hyperpigmentation kit that Cosmetic Surgeon gave me to use with Clear Light included a mild gel cleanser, collagen rebuilding serum, bufifng granules (I don't use those often), ultra hydrating moisturizer, a lightening gel that has hydroquinone & kojic acid which makes it very gentle on my skin of color, cell regeneration creme, & SPF moisturizer.
    Thanks very much progressmaker for the very detailed post. Firstly, just because the Dermalux unit hasn't worked so far for me, don't worry I'm not going to give up (as I said above). I'm sorry if I confused you when I was talking about the Dermalux unit, I just assumed as a result of my previous posts, everyone would understand I was referring to the Dermalux unit. If I said I used Clearlight at anytime in my posts, I do mean the Dermalux unit and not one in a clinic.

    With regards to your hyperpigmentation kit, I try to avoid any skin lighteners that contain hydroquinone because it's a steroid and prolonged use can damage your skin permenantly. But if it is working for you then that is great and I hope it will clear up your hyperpigmentation as soon as possible.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jhart999
    I myself haven't enjoyed quite the level of success I dared hoped for after the promising start. But I certainly haven't broken out worse. I'm still getting new acne but I'm sure the unit is helping it heal quicker.
    Jhart do you think the Dermalux's effectiveness has decreased since you have started using it three weeks ago i.e. similar to my problem. It seems to me that the Dermalux is more a cure than a preventative measure. It is interesting to note, however, that the cystic parts of your skin are improving. What's amazing is that I don't think the Dermalux unit was expected to be effective in this area of acne. So at least this is promising.

     
    Old 02-09-2004, 06:09 PM   #60
    Neca
    Veteran
     
    Neca's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2003
    Posts: 422
    Neca HB User
    Re: Home Phototherapy for Mild/Moderate Acne

    Guys...do you have any new updates to post? Any improvements with regards to using the Dermalux unit? I'm still at the same level of effectiveness...none much really

    Hope it's going better for y'all though...

     
    Closed Thread




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:33 PM.





    © 2020 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!