It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board

• Worried about mole

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-02-2004, 09:16 AM   #1
    Kellylou

Kellylou HB User
    Worried about mole

Hi
    I am quite worried about a mole I have on my back. I think it has always been there but lately I have become so paranoid about my moles that I am stressing out about it. It's about 5mm wide and slightly raised. I've been keeping an eye on it for the last three months or so and it hasn't grown or anything but I can feel that one side of it is a bit rough and crusty.
    I have been to the doctors twice since December and she said that she could not find anything to be concerned about but wants to see me every three months because I am very fair and have lots of moles. Also, the mole is right on the place in my back where it rubs against my chair at work so I'm not sure whether that has caused it to go a bit crusty. I have been at my desk a lot more than normal recently.
    Could it just be irritated or should I go back to the doctor again?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2004, 06:13 PM   #2
    Saraly
    Inactive

Saraly HB User
    Re: Worried about mole

If the mole is in a place where it's easily irritated I would ask to have it removed. Your doctor is wise to want to see you frequently although every three months sounds a bit much to me. I would think every 6 months would be enough. I have had many Basal Cells removed and was checked once a year. Five years ago my dad died of melanoma and the doctors wanted me to be checked every 6 months. In November I had a melanoma removed from my arm and I have to go every 3 months now. I don't mind because when MM is found at its earliest stage it's CURABLE.

Old 02-03-2004, 02:33 AM   #3
    Kellylou

Kellylou HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Saraly
    If the mole is in a place where it's easily irritated I would ask to have it removed. Your doctor is wise to want to see you frequently although every three months sounds a bit much to me. I would think every 6 months would be enough. I have had many Basal Cells removed and was checked once a year. Five years ago my dad died of melanoma and the doctors wanted me to be checked every 6 months. In November I had a melanoma removed from my arm and I have to go every 3 months now. I don't mind because when MM is found at its earliest stage it's CURABLE.
    Thanks Saraly.
    I think she said every three months because I go and get my contraceptive pill every three months and she felt she might as well check me over when I am at the surgery then. Like you say, I don't really mind going down because I am such a worrier (I'm driving my boyfriend nuts!) and the checks will either find something early or put my mind at rest.
    Next time I go down I will ask her about getting the mole removed.
    Thanks again and take care
    Kelly

Old 02-03-2004, 05:42 AM   #4
    Saraly
    Inactive

Saraly HB User

Kelly,
    If your GYN is checking you for skin cancer I would ask to see a dermatologist, especially to remove the mole. Most general practitioners will not recognize skin cancer and the screening is best left to an expert.
    I'm glad you're taking such good care of yourself!

Old 02-03-2004, 06:12 AM   #5
    Kellylou

Kellylou HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Saraly
    Kelly,
    If your GYN is checking you for skin cancer I would ask to see a dermatologist, especially to remove the mole. Most general practitioners will not recognize skin cancer and the screening is best left to an expert.
    I'm glad you're taking such good care of yourself!
    Saraly,
    She's not my GYN she's my GP and she told me she has lots of moles herself that she keeps an eye on. So I'm banking on her knowing what she's looking for!
    I will suggest that I go and see a dermatologist when I go back for my next check in April though, and in the meantime I will keep checking my skin regularly (and driving my boyfriend nuts of course!)

Old 02-03-2004, 07:59 AM   #6
    lisa1991

lisa1991 HB User
    Wink Re: Worried about mole

HI I just read your post and had to tell you I was seeing GP with my blood pressure and I had two spots that would not heal and he told me it was probably a keratose. I went to the dermatologist and he did a biopsy and it was basal cell cancer. That was in september 2003. In november 2003 I had a malignant melanoma removed. I would go to a dermatologist. JMO.
    I am 30 years old and I know what it is like to worry about moles. I have alot of them too. I have the typical blue eyes brown hair. I hope everything goes well for you.

Lisa

Old 02-03-2004, 08:19 AM   #7
    Saraly
    Inactive

Saraly HB User

Lisa, I have to agree. I have asked several of my own doctors, internist, GYN and Gastroenterologist and they all freely admitted that they would not recognize a skin cancer. It's not their speciality and some things are difficult even for a dermatologist to diagnosis without biopsy. I guess if I walked in with a huge, black and purple bleeding hairy thing hanging off my body they could take an educated guess and be right but with so many subtle differences a very trained eye is needed.

Old 02-03-2004, 09:11 AM   #8
    Kellylou

Kellylou HB User

Thanks everyone.

Old 02-03-2004, 03:35 PM   #9
    blj97

blj97 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kellylou
    Hi
    I am quite worried about a mole I have on my back. I think it has always been there but lately I have become so paranoid about my moles that I am stressing out about it. It's about 5mm wide and slightly raised. I've been keeping an eye on it for the last three months or so and it hasn't grown or anything but I can feel that one side of it is a bit rough and crusty.
    I have been to the doctors twice since December and she said that she could not find anything to be concerned about but wants to see me every three months because I am very fair and have lots of moles. Also, the mole is right on the place in my back where it rubs against my chair at work so I'm not sure whether that has caused it to go a bit crusty. I have been at my desk a lot more than normal recently.
    Could it just be irritated or should I go back to the doctor again?
    I had mine removed due to cosmetic reasons the Doctors always said it was fine, well so much for fine. I have gone back three times and had more skin removed deeper and longer than where I started. The pathologist literally said I was a baby step away from melenoma. I personally say go with your gut feeling Im glad I did.Jeni

Old 02-04-2004, 02:45 PM   #10
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

You should see a "dermatologist". Other doctors are not as experienced in caring for skin conditions. Do not assume because your doctor has moles herself that she is qualified to know about moles as much as she needs to in order to make wise decisions about yours.

Any change in a mole is a red flag. Please see a dermatologist and have the mole removed AND biopsied.

Closed Thread