It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Addicted to VERY small dose???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-02-2004, 11:08 PM   #16
    rosietee
    Senior Veteran

rosietee HB User
    Re: Addicted to VERY small dose???

Quote:
    Originally Posted by StarToo
    Hi bcruth4,
    Got my script filled. One week's worth. I have decided to get serious with the taper and do it right. Wish me strength!
    Amber
    Hi, Amber I will pray for your strength, and mine too. I am on a long slow taper and it is oh so hard, but I am taking too many to cold turkey. If you can use them to taper the best you can, the better off you will be and hopefully won't have to endure quite as much discomfort. Just get some immodium. Before long you will be back to your old self and be sharper and quicker.

rosie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2004, 04:03 AM   #17
    StarToo
    (female)

StarToo HB User

Thank you Rosie, I needed to hear that this morning. I am up early thinking about pills, as usual, and don't have anyone to talk to about it. I want to taper so badly. Got my script filled yesterday and, of course, took an extra one just because the bottle looked so full. My head just messes with me. I have enough to taper if I can just stick to it. Thank you again for being supportive. Have a great day - hope to hear from you soon.
    Amber

Old 02-03-2004, 04:14 AM   #18
    lisaaahubb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lisaaahubb HB User

Hey Amber---I just wanted to let you know that i am thinking of you. I have been where you are right now!!! I had the hardest time when i was tapering. It takes an enormous amount of will-power, which most of us pill-poppers don't have. Take it one day at a time. You will feel minimal w/d this way. I have tried c/t and i have went the tapering route....the tapering route is much harder mentally, but it is a lot easier on the body and mind to get down to a small amount, then c/t....
    I am routing for ya girl!!!! Stick to the taper, write it out on paper,and then separate your pills. If you need help w/ a schedule, i might me able to help, otherwise there is a man named Philster, that really helped me when i was tapering. You will have some rough days when you jump down....but it is NOTHING compare to going c/t!!!!!
    luv,
    LISA

Old 02-03-2004, 04:34 AM   #19
    StarToo
    (female)

StarToo HB User

Good morning Lisa,
    I think your idea of writing it out on paper is a great. Maybe it will keep me from thinking about it constantly and running it over in my mind, counting, counting, counting. I took the extra one last night for no reason - didn't need it, didn't want it, just took it. I am so sick of this. Thank you all for your support. It means so much!
    Amber

Old 02-03-2004, 05:18 AM   #20
    lisaaahubb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lisaaahubb HB User

Good morning Amber----
    I hope i helped a little....just a few suggestions on what helped me out when i was tapering. Of course, i made it 65 days, but never had a back up plan for when the cravings hit I am trying to make a "plan" for myself today.....I usually pick a date on the calendar, and pick that particular day to be pill-free by....i have 4 kids and a very busy husband, so unfortunately it has to be done around their schedule....my two year old is quite a handful, and we don't have babysitters, so it is all on me. I have called to try to get on suboxone, because i FEAR relapsing again!!!! I don't think i could deal w/ getting clean again, only to go thru this crap again!!!!
    Keeping a positive attitude helps more than you know, I am reading a book now, on the power of positive thinking and prayer.....very interesting. If i read anything that seems relative, i will post it for you...
    luv,
    LISA

Old 02-03-2004, 05:21 PM   #21
    Butch Cape Cod

Butch Cape Cod HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcruth4
    Amber,

I will stop today. I have no choice as I am out of pills and won't get more for a few weeks. I am not so worried about psychological addiction, I just hope I don't have physical withdawals. Maybe I won't since I've been on such a small dose. Thanks.

I have worked in the addiction field for years and never saw a doctor give an opiate for depression. I would like to suggest you see a qualified psychiatrist or pcp who has knowledge regarding depression. There are numerous medications currently on the market for depression and sleep issues which are non addicting. I know I take them and live a good life even thoigh I have another terminal illness.

Old 02-03-2004, 06:12 PM   #22
    bcruth4

bcruth4 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Butch Cape Cod
    I have worked in the addiction field for years and never saw a doctor give an opiate for depression. I would like to suggest you see a qualified psychiatrist or pcp who has knowledge regarding depression. There are numerous medications currently on the market for depression and sleep issues which are non addicting. I know I take them and live a good life even thoigh I have another terminal illness.

My doctor did not prescribe Percocet as an antidepressant. He prescribed them for chronic headaches, to be taken randomly not daily. The Percocet just happens to help lift my mood. I've tried several antidepressants. They all made me feel horrible. I'll never understand the logic.... it is ok to be addicted to antidepressants, but not low dose opiates. Both have withdrawal effects when you stop taking them.

Old 02-03-2004, 06:21 PM   #23
    lisaaahubb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lisaaahubb HB User

hmmmmmmmm very good point....

Old 02-03-2004, 07:04 PM   #24
    StarToo
    (female)

StarToo HB User

bcruth4, how are you doing today? I have wondered that same thing about antidepressants. Opiates do lift my mood and make me feel good about the world..... for a while. That is where the problem is for me. I always just need that one extra. I had a horrible experience with one particular antidep and have taken many others that worked so-so. I have tried to convince myself that opiates are the answer, they help my migraines, and make me feel happy. But I know in my heart that is not true. They get a hold on you that won't let go. I have not had much of a problem coming off of antideps, some wobble-head - but nothing like oxy wd or even hydro wd. For me anyway, there is no comparison. Tapering tomorrow off of fairly low dose, but oh, how I dread it.

Old 02-03-2004, 07:09 PM   #25
    John 808
    Inactive

John 808 HB User

Hi Star!

That is EXACTLY why I started abusing the pain meds- I suffer from depression and noticed how great and happy and content and I could go on and on....I was on them! Plus, I became "superwoman." I started off taking just 1 or 2 every other day or so or even skipped 2 or 3 days- very minimal use and felt fantastic!

Long story short, I ended up with a 25 a day habit- three and a half years later. It sneaks up on you and you "justify" taking more and more and before you know it, you are in alot of trouble.

Please quit while you are ahead of the game- you will be so glad you did.

Best of luck to you and God bless,
    michelle

Old 02-03-2004, 07:40 PM   #26
    rosietee
    Senior Veteran

rosietee HB User

Ditto here, I used to be able to get a little buzz with half of a hydro 7.5 and it grew to needing 4-5 hydro 10's for the same effect. Also, on Oprah, the woman who was taking pills had originally taken them to be a supermom, but eventually turned into a mom who laid in bed all the time and never went anywhere. I think that eventually happens if the addiction is not stopped without exception, and then eventually leads to death. Of course the mom only remembered the supermom part, but the kids just were hoping she would stop laying in bed and start going places with them.

rosie

Old 02-03-2004, 07:50 PM   #27
    StarToo
    (female)

StarToo HB User

Thanks for posting to me with your support. I have done this before (can't believe I let it happen again) and I so want to quit before it gets way out of hand. Pray for me for strength and wish me a little luck! ( Or a WHOLE LOTTA luck)!

Closed Thread