It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board

• How to quit smoking when drinking a beer?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-09-2004, 12:55 PM   #16
    WandaWoman

WandaWoman HB User
    Re: How to quit smoking when drinking a beer?

I must confess, I truley enjoyed the patch. I felt as though I drank 10 cups of coffee but felt no cravings at all. I will be patching it on the weekends. I really like the patch, I was so funny at the Bar telling the smokers how much O thought the patch was great! My hubby was laughing at me as I was bouncing off the walls. I truley enjoyed the patch experience.
    that was me....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2004, 01:55 PM   #17
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User

Looks like an aerobics class Wanda!!! LOL

Glad you like the patch!! I like it to, I think it works better than the gum, but i like the taste of the gum and the temporary boost it gives me too. Makes me feel like this... !!

LOL! DEDA My aerobics class-

Last edited by Deda; 02-09-2004 at 01:59 PM.

Old 02-09-2004, 06:09 PM   #18
    LL29
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LL29 HB User

That's great Wanda - so glad it's all working out for you and glad to see you have soooo much energy. LOL

Neno - I'm a little unsure about what you're doing here? Are you tryin to eventually one day quit or are you working against us? Have you ever been addicted to something? Is it cigarettes or ???? I'm just tryin to figure you out because you have to understand the addicts mind - you don't allow anyone the easy way of "oh sure just have a few" - it doesn't work that way for addicts. That's what we are - and we still are - we just choose to not smoke because we know we would be addicted again. There are only a very FEW that live to be 80 and still smoke - but I'm sure they're carrying an oxygen tank and can't make it up the stairs. Go to the hospitals and check out the lung cancer ward.

Not sure what stats they pulled their data from, but maybe you've forgotten that over the past 10 yrs. the numbers of chemicals in cancer sticks have gone WAY UP. It's now up to 3000 chemicals I believe. Back in the day when my grandfather smoked - there wasn't much in them. Now they've looked at tons of additives that can keep you addicted even moreso as if nicotine were not enough.

So this is why we come off the way we do and in order to save lives - sometimes you just have to tell it like it is and at the same time applaud them for what progress they've made. So I'd appreciate it if you could do a little bit more research before you say it's ok to smoke or whatever. It's good to be supportive but to say it's ok to smoke - this is a SMOKING CESSATION board.

I hope you stay out here Neno - just join in and leave out the ok's to smoke.

Thanks,

Laurie

Old 02-09-2004, 10:37 PM   #19
    camden
    Veteran

camden HB User

I'm a little confused as to why you are all jumping on nenofury's back. Now I will confuse you as to why I am confused! The first time I quit smoking I made the mistake of only smoking when I drank which wasn't very often, but the mistake was not smoking. It was buying an entire pack of smokes which I usually didn't finish but couldn't give away (they are expensive you know!LOL) . I would then take them home and smoke them. The problem and relapse occurred when too many drinking events took place too close together, hence far too many smokes, far too many days in a row !

This time I have been quit for 9 months (guess you could argue that I haven't quit) and decided right off the bat that I would never purchase a pack of cigs again . When I would drink I would bum a smoke off someone. I then came to realise if I bummed one too early I might be tempted to bum another one later, then I would feel like a jerk for bumming everyone's smokes. So I decided to wait for as long as possible and usually by the time I worked up the courage to be a bum and ask for one it was too late and all the smokers were gone. I also started to notice that smokes tasted like crap and if you remember that taste you really don't want another one for a long while. I would say that I have probably smoked 10-12 smokes since I quit and knowing (at least in MY head) that I am only allowed to smoke when I am drinking keeps me from sneaking one here and there any other time(of course this would not be a good plan if I drank frequently! ).

Now, the thing I find odd about the critisism is that we are discussing how to not smoke harmful cigarettes while we are drinking harmful alcohol! And we are suggesting using the patch so we can keep on drinking! Is this post "How to quit smoking when drinking a beer?" or "how to keep drinking beer without smoking?"

I say quit buying smokes. It is quite humbling to have to ask someone for a smoke and most of the time I choose not to bother. If it only seems to bother you after several drinks maybe the problem isn't smoking, it may be finding the line in which to stop drinking.

Old 02-10-2004, 08:08 AM   #20
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User

Sorry Camden...I still stand by what I believe and that is that for the majority of us with smoking it's "all or nothing at all"! I know for some they can occassionally smoke, (I have a friend that can), but for most of us that's not the way it is. I wish it was, but if I were to have just 1 cigarette, I'd want another...and another.

Old 02-10-2004, 09:00 AM   #21
    nenofury

nenofury HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LL29
    That's great Wanda - so glad it's all working out for you and glad to see you have soooo much energy. LOL

Neno - I'm a little unsure about what you're doing here? Are you tryin to eventually one day quit or are you working against us? Have you ever been addicted to something? Is it cigarettes or ???? I'm just tryin to figure you out because you have to understand the addicts mind - you don't allow anyone the easy way of "oh sure just have a few" - it doesn't work that way for addicts. That's what we are - and we still are - we just choose to not smoke because we know we would be addicted again. There are only a very FEW that live to be 80 and still smoke - but I'm sure they're carrying an oxygen tank and can't make it up the stairs. Go to the hospitals and check out the lung cancer ward.

Not sure what stats they pulled their data from, but maybe you've forgotten that over the past 10 yrs. the numbers of chemicals in cancer sticks have gone WAY UP. It's now up to 3000 chemicals I believe. Back in the day when my grandfather smoked - there wasn't much in them. Now they've looked at tons of additives that can keep you addicted even moreso as if nicotine were not enough.

So this is why we come off the way we do and in order to save lives - sometimes you just have to tell it like it is and at the same time applaud them for what progress they've made. So I'd appreciate it if you could do a little bit more research before you say it's ok to smoke or whatever. It's good to be supportive but to say it's ok to smoke - this is a SMOKING CESSATION board.

I hope you stay out here Neno - just join in and leave out the ok's to smoke.

Thanks,

Laurie

The additive thing is mostly propaganda and additives are not limited to cigarettes. As far as people dying of cancer, several of my friends are doctors and nurses. Some of them work in critical care. Occasional smoking is not life threatening, period. More people die from obesity and lack of excercise than anything else. Convincing people that the occasional cigarette is going to kill them is wrong. I have done the research and asked the experts. You spout mostly unfounded propaganda.

Old 02-10-2004, 10:05 AM   #22
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User

I don't think it's unfounded propaganda that cigarettes do contain around 3000 harmful toxins or more. Even if it was only say, 500 known toxins I think it's too much. We all know that cigarette smoking is dangerous. Even 2nd hand smoke has been proven to be dangerous. Years ago smoking was allowed on air flights and guess what happened later...there were cases of airline stewerdess (who never smoked) that developed lung cancers/diseases. But our point here initially was that once we quit, that most of us usually have to stay completely off cigarettes to stay quit, as even an occasional cigarette will later lead us back to our full time habit, a pack a day or whatever.

DEDA

Old 02-10-2004, 12:48 PM   #23
    nenofury

nenofury HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Deda
    I don't think it's unfounded propaganda that cigarettes do contain around 3000 harmful toxins or more. Even if it was only say, 500 known toxins I think it's too much. We all know that cigarette smoking is dangerous. Even 2nd hand smoke has been proven to be dangerous. Years ago smoking was allowed on air flights and guess what happened later...there were cases of airline stewerdess (who never smoked) that developed lung cancers/diseases. But our point here initially was that once we quit, that most of us usually have to stay completely off cigarettes to stay quit, as even an occasional cigarette will later lead us back to our full time habit, a pack a day or whatever.

DEDA
    There are about 600 additives in cigarettes. The 3000 number is totally made up. Not even the anti-smoking extremists says that. And they are not "toxins." Some of the man made additives are toxic in very high doses, but one would have to smoke thousands of cigarettes per day to reach that level. Many of these chemicals are also found in food, drinking water, and the air. My point being that cigarettes have met the same EPA guidelines as any other consumable. The fear among the anti-tobacco people is that once these additives are burned they become carcinogens. This has never been backed up by any scientific study. The "additives" argument is an assumption that is trumped up as fact. That is propaganda.

Last edited by nenofury; 02-10-2004 at 12:50 PM.

Old 02-10-2004, 01:20 PM   #24
    smartgal
    Veteran
    (female)

smartgal HB User

It doesn't really matter. She wants to quit. She will find her reasons. Even a few cigarettes can make you stink. They do temporarily raise blood pressure. They irritate your lungs and sinus. If I could only smoke once in awhile, yes, I probably would. I can't. I know I'll smoke more than that. I don't think anyone could honestly say that any smoking is good for you. I'm sure there are plenty of worse things out there, but sucking up smoke from burning something, just ain't good! The point of the thread is that she wants to quit doing it and we are here to help.

Old 02-10-2004, 01:24 PM   #25
    smartgal
    Veteran
    (female)

smartgal HB User

By the way, are you just here to promote smoking? I don't believe all the propaganda by the "truth" people either, especially about second hand smoke, since the statistics don't support the findings, but I do know how I feel. And I feel 100 times better since I quit. This is, after all, a board to help people quit.

Old 02-10-2004, 01:32 PM   #26
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User

Yes, and I also try to avoid the chemicals in my drinking water by using a water filter, I wear a mask if I'm exposed to dust, paint, etc. Although I know that I can't filter out every known/unknown harmful chemical, I'm still going to try to avoid them as much as I can. That's why most of us quit smoking. And even if I could have 1 or 2 or 3 a week, why add fuel to the fire?

Lucky for Wandawomen she's already fiqured out that she can't smoke a few on weekends, and she was able to quit smoking altogether!!!! Way to go Wandawomen!!!!!

DEDA

Old 02-10-2004, 01:50 PM   #27
    LL29
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LL29 HB User

Riiiiiight.............Yes neno - maybe you're at the wrong board and I too have a lot of friends that are doctors, etc... most specialize in something - but they have ALL said the #1 best thing I could do for my health was to quit smoking!

Not sure if you work for a tobacco company or what Neno - but we're here to help people and it's obviously that you either just want to argue or promote smoking so regardless of the thread - this is the again..... SMOKING CESSATION board. If you're not here to help people quit smoking, then please move on. You're doing more harm than good.

Camden - one one hand since you're doing better - congrats to you - but to me you're still a smoker even if it's weekend (yes anything is better than nothing so I pat you there).

If it makes you guys feel better to believe the UK's statistics (that's where neno quoted them from) then that's fine - but I'll stick to wall of remembrance on the lung.org board of all of those who died due to lung cancer or emphysema or second hand smoke. Take your chances if you like, but I would still be afraid.

Smoking is deadly and that's all there is to it. I don't know of any doctor that would say it's ok to occasionally smoke. Next thing you know there will be how much you can and how often, what brand, etc... Bottom line - DO NOT SMOKE and you won't have to worry about dying from it.

Old 02-11-2004, 05:52 AM   #28
    nenofury

nenofury HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LL29
    Riiiiiight.............Yes neno - maybe you're at the wrong board and I too have a lot of friends that are doctors, etc... most specialize in something - but they have ALL said the #1 best thing I could do for my health was to quit smoking!

Not sure if you work for a tobacco company or what Neno - but we're here to help people and it's obviously that you either just want to argue or promote smoking so regardless of the thread - this is the again..... SMOKING CESSATION board. If you're not here to help people quit smoking, then please move on. You're doing more harm than good.

Camden - one one hand since you're doing better - congrats to you - but to me you're still a smoker even if it's weekend (yes anything is better than nothing so I pat you there).

If it makes you guys feel better to believe the UK's statistics (that's where neno quoted them from) then that's fine - but I'll stick to wall of remembrance on the lung.org board of all of those who died due to lung cancer or emphysema or second hand smoke. Take your chances if you like, but I would still be afraid.

Smoking is deadly and that's all there is to it. I don't know of any doctor that would say it's ok to occasionally smoke. Next thing you know there will be how much you can and how often, what brand, etc... Bottom line - DO NOT SMOKE and you won't have to worry about dying from it.
    Alright, once again. Read my posts. I simply stated a few facts and got jumped on. NEVER ONCE DID I ENCOURAGE PEOPLE TO SMOKE.... READ THE POSTS....TELLING THE TRUTH ABOUT TOBACCO IS NOT AN ADVOCATION. I like how I rebut some of the false propaganda and I get accused of working for a tobacco company. That is ridicululous. At least I'm being objective here. Some of you sound like those bogus truth.com ads. Is that where YOU work? In the effort to "help" people quit, lies inevitably get told, but aren't we all interested in the truth? The all or nothing attitude is not the best way to help IMO. People should first be encouraged to reduce smoking, then encouraged to quit entirely. You donít need to LIE to people.

Old 02-11-2004, 08:59 AM   #29
    smartgal
    Veteran
    (female)

smartgal HB User

Are you the sole holder of the truth? My guess is that the truth lies somewhere in between the cigarette companies and the "truth" organization. Why do you feel so strongly that you have to promote this alleged "truth"? The fact is that medical recommendations change on a daily basis depending on what study is done. In a few years any information may change. Whether or not you think the "all or nothing" attitude is helpful, this person wants to quit, so what's your problem?

Old 02-11-2004, 09:18 AM   #30
    Queen B

Queen B HB User

I guess I'm confused as to what all the fuss is about. Why the arguing? As several have stated there are several ways and means to help you quit smoking and it is a personal decision as to which one will work/help you. I don't agree with everything everyone says but isn't that pretty common with about every television show or article you see "take what you like and leave the rest". I think you aren't giving fellow chatters much credit... we won't buy into everything shared on this board. Some will quit by cutting down some will quit by cold turkey...your way is not the only way. I have some concerns with comments about my husband using chewing tobacco to cut down and help him quit smoking cigs. No he is not inhaling but nicotine can't be all that great for a body either. And I know it can cause mouth cancer. .. But he told me to lay off and let him deal with one addiction at a time and I respect that. Others are stating they have used the patch sucessfully and it is truely a life saver for them and that is great! I think the main point we should try to get across is that if you have stopped smoking good for you (and several are great cheerleaders in this area) and you cannot smoke again or chance starting over again personally I don't want to go through this again...that is what is keeping me from lighting up. Queen B

Closed Thread