It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Percocet Detox & Buprinex

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-10-2004, 08:46 PM   #1
    NoPercs

NoPercs HB User
    Question Percocet Detox & Buprinex

Hello,

I have been reading all the great posts here and have found much comfort in knowing that I am not alone recovering.

I am on my 3rd week being free of my Percocet addiction & it has been a slow and painful process.

(A little history)

I was given Percocet about 3yrs ago for torn tendons in both elbows. Until about a year ago I kept my usage to 1-4 pills a day depending on the day. Over the last year I was up to 6-8 a day and knew I was in trouble. I told my doctor that I was addicted and he told me that until I was ready to stop he would keep filling the script (80 Percocet 10/325 every two weeks)
    I didnít want to take the stuff anymore, though I didnít want to get sick from not taking them either, (You know the story). Anyway I decided to check in to a Detox/Recovery Center to get off the little devils.

When I checked in they told me that I would be detoxed with Buprinex and would most likely have no withdrawals at all. Sounded great too me. The Detox portion of the stay was 72 hours and then a 24hr observation period after the last dose of Buprinex. I made it through the Detox and observation pretty well. The Buprinex really kept me from feeling much discomfort, other than not sleeping well & some head / body aches. I thought I was home free and decided not to stay for the ďstabilizationĒ portion of the program. The decision not to stay was also based on the facility (Not a comfortable or friendly place) I also took offence being told that I would never be able to stay off the stuff if I didnít complete the process.
    (Never tell me I canít)
    Anyway, when I got home the withdrawals really started after the Buprinex wore off. Itís been terrible for the last 3 weeks. Today I can finally tell things are getting better. Still canít sleep and have periods of anxiety.

Regarding Buprinex, I think that it only postponed the Withdrawals based on what I am going through, or I was not tapered off correctly. I am curious, has anyone else experienced issues after Buprinex for Detox?

Thank you,

NoPercs

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2004, 06:50 PM   #2
    rosietee
    Senior Veteran

rosietee HB User
    Re: Percocet Detox & Buprinex

Hi, NoPercs,
    For some reason, I was busy when you posted this and I just read it for the first time. I see no one responded. I just posted a similar thread. Hopefully we can get some more info. Thank you for your input, though. Hope you are still clean? Let us know how you are doing.

rosie

Old 02-12-2004, 07:21 PM   #3
    Dilaudid_Hell

Dilaudid_Hell HB User

HI Nopercs,
    Dilaudid_Hell here to say that I relate totally to your post. I am a chronic pain sufferer (TMJ from car accident - 6 surgeries) and ended up in a Short Term Detox facility after realizing that I needed to get off this junk fast. I felt soo out of place there, but I have a much more sympathetic view of the drug addiction problem. It was very hard to quit. I knew I was in trouble with the meds when I could take three and not even feel much. It starts with one, then one and half and...you get the idea.

I am left with the pain that made me start taking the meds and I gotta say coming up on week 5 (tomorrow) this was a bad week. The pain got so bad that I was contemplating going back on the meds. My thought was that I am going to have reconstructive jaw surgery (jaw prosthetic - articfical joint) and I should be comfortable until I have the operation.. I took anti-inflammatories, lots of em, and used heat and feel much better at this point.

I just can't believe how long it takes to start feeling normal. Today, almost at week 5 and I feel pretty normal. 4 weeks in and I still felt like crap. I should say that I was going though 100 dilaudid per week at the end. The worst part of the whole thing was the lack of joy that I felt and still am dealing with to some extent. Being joyless sux. I'm starting to feel happier finally. It feels like 5 years instead of 5 weeks.

This winter has been the longest of my life. Spring brings renewal, especially this year.

Dave

Old 02-13-2004, 03:37 PM   #4
    NoPercs

NoPercs HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rosietee
    Hi, NoPercs,
    For some reason, I was busy when you posted this and I just read it for the first time. I see no one responded. I just posted a similar thread. Hopefully we can get some more info. Thank you for your input, though. Hope you are still clean? Let us know how you are doing.

rosie
    Hi rosie,

Thank you for your reply! I am doing better.

I saw your post and thought would comment regarding Wd from sub or bup.
    Since I didn't go off the percs "cold turkey" I can't say how bad it could have been. I can say that while on the bup I felt not too bad, I was on for 72hrs.
    48hrs after I went through everything except vomiting and di. Im on my 4th week now and just starting to feel normal. (seems like a lifetime) The worst parts for me was depresion, anxiety & not being able to sleep. I did not crave the percs, I craved to feel better & percs are what got me here. There in no way I could consider going back to square 1.

One thing that was very helpful to me was the support I received from my wife & 2 kids. I can't thank them enough for helping me through this.

I hope that you can get support from loved ones.

I think I have come to realize that the is no painless fix, you just have to pick a course of action and stick to it, as painful as it may be, it will get better just don't give in. The sooner you start the sooner it will be over

Keep in touch and go for it!

NoPercs

Old 02-14-2004, 05:58 AM   #5
    kindaunwell
    Inactive

kindaunwell HB User

Nopercs,

That was a nice post to Rosie. And I do understand what you said about "IN-House De-Toxing. I went thru a 5 day de-tox last December. Although I was given a Methadone Cocktail. Probably because, among all the Legal drugs I was abusing, I was also doing some Herion. Not much, But any amount is too much, I guess. Sorry to hear your hospital/de-tox center was not too nice of an expierence. Did you check the place out first, and discuss your Treatment with their Doctors/Counselors. I only ask because
    I was treated with kindness and understanding by both Doctors and Staff. It was the same hospital my Pain Doctor was associated with, and he had been triing to get me to do it for awhile. After the 5 days, I was given scripts to wean down off the Meth and those pills that lower your blood pressure. I really did feel fine, physically, but of course, just as they explained to me, I had to put up with those same symtoms you described.>>>> insomnia, some depression and anxiety. But at least they were just mental symtoms, and I could deal with them. The main thing was to get free of the drugs first, so I could get my head clearer for coping with the rest of it. It still takes willpower and determination to stay the right course, but the feelings of being drug-free, and not having them dictate my lifestyle is just sooo worth the effort. And absolutely Yes, you do need that support from family giving you encouragement to keep on staying clean.!! But at least now, you are at that point where you can see how the dividens are paying off. Why would any one give in, and go back to that style of living, I just don't know. You just have to re-develope the coping skills you once had before you had to start taking drugs, most usually, for a very legit reason. Life ain't easy, and everyone has their own hell to put up with, but it is much easier to do, when you are drug free. And the Good things in life feel sooo much greater when you are not drugging, Right.???

Wishing you well and stay in touch some, okay...

Kinda-Unwell..(but just not as much.!

Old 02-14-2004, 07:12 AM   #6
    Wakeupcall
    (female)

Wakeupcall HB User

No Percs,

I am late in responding. Actually, I would imagine the bup helped the first few days. The w/d's would probabley be worse ! (scary huh!) Keep up the good work. It does take awhile. To be on them as long as you said (3 yrs), would cause you to have w/d's for awhile. It is so hard, and you made it. Good for YOU!!!!! Give yoursef a huge pat on your back and a big hug to your family for the shoulder to lean on! Shell

Closed Thread