It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• B-12 defficiency

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-13-2004, 09:14 AM   #1
    gwenatron
    (female)

gwenatron HB User
    B-12 defficiency

Hi
    I've visited the depression msg. board a lot, but this is my first time here. I was diagnosed with a severe B-12 defficiency about a year ago, and get injections every 2 weeks. I can't tolerate vitamin supplements, they all make me vomit profusely. My doctor has been floating the idea of pernicious anemia, as I've been passing out about twice or three times a week , an getting the numbness and cold sweats a lot. I'm constantly tired and my main leisure activity is sleeping ( though am bi-polar too, so don't know what symptom belongs to which disorder). What causes the defficiency? What causes pernicious anemia? Are injections the only way of treating these things? How do other sufferers manage to work and have a life too?
    Am very confused, and my doctor seems equally so. In my experience, fellow sufferers offer the best insights, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2004, 06:01 PM   #2
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
    Re: B-12 defficiency

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwenatron
    Hi
    I've visited the depression msg. board a lot, but this is my first time here. I was diagnosed with a severe B-12 defficiency about a year ago, and get injections every 2 weeks. I can't tolerate vitamin supplements, they all make me vomit profusely. My doctor has been floating the idea of pernicious anemia, as I've been passing out about twice or three times a week , an getting the numbness and cold sweats a lot. I'm constantly tired and my main leisure activity is sleeping ( though am bi-polar too, so don't know what symptom belongs to which disorder). What causes the defficiency? What causes pernicious anemia? Are injections the only way of treating these things? How do other sufferers manage to work and have a life too?
    Am very confused, and my doctor seems equally so. In my experience, fellow sufferers offer the best insights, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    The majority of people who suffer from B-12 deficiency are people who can not make the intrinsic factor in the gut that allows the body to use B-12 vitamin. B-12 is normally taken in through food and stored in the liver until it is needed. People who are normal have B-12 stored for use up to 5 years so one can suddenly develop an inability to absorb or utilize B-12 and still be ok for about 5 years(longest) before showing the symptoms you describe. The reasons that people can not make intrinsic factor are several: They are born with a defective gastric process, they acquire the problem from stomach or gastric ulcers, they have a reduced function due to aging process or they have had a gastric surgery for some reason such as Cancer, or weightloss surgery. The other vitamins that are needed in order to use the B-12 effectively are Folic Acid and Ascorbic Acid. Neurological and psychiatric problems are very common in people who are severely deficient in B-12. Other side effects are iron deficiency anemia in which the blood cells are not able to use the iron because of the way that iron and b-12 are used together to provide the metabolism for food and other metabolic functions. Since B-12 again has to have intrinsic factor to be absorbed"normally" if you do not have the intrinsic factor, then the stomach has to be by-passed by injecting the B-12 directly into the blood stream to aid body metabolism so that the body's cells, tissues etc can have use of the B-12. The fainting spells etc are caused by oxygen transport being compromised. The oxygen is being used to keep your vital organs going and that is causing a decrease to your heart, lungs and kidneys. But, when you go unconscious for a few moments here and there it is like a brown out is in a city who is drawing too much current for the electrical system. I hope this makes sense. The problem is that it will only get worse and could eventually effect a permanent DNA change at the cellular level leaving the door open for leukemic conversion and a cancer of some sort could take hold in the vulnerable areas of your body such as the stomach and other mucus secreting areas of your body.

Old 02-16-2004, 10:24 PM   #3
    SnowyLynne63
    Inactive

SnowyLynne63 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marimac
    The majority of people who suffer from B-12 deficiency are people who can not make the intrinsic factor in the gut that allows the body to use B-12 vitamin. B-12 is normally taken in through food and stored in the liver until it is needed. People who are normal have B-12 stored for use up to 5 years so one can suddenly develop an inability to absorb or utilize B-12 and still be ok for about 5 years(longest) before showing the symptoms you describe. The reasons that people can not make intrinsic factor are several: They are born with a defective gastric process, they acquire the problem from stomach or gastric ulcers, they have a reduced function due to aging process or they have had a gastric surgery for some reason such as Cancer, or weightloss surgery. The other vitamins that are needed in order to use the B-12 effectively are Folic Acid and Ascorbic Acid. Neurological and psychiatric problems are very common in people who are severely deficient in B-12. Other side effects are iron deficiency anemia in which the blood cells are not able to use the iron because of the way that iron and b-12 are used together to provide the metabolism for food and other metabolic functions. Since B-12 again has to have intrinsic factor to be absorbed"normally" if you do not have the intrinsic factor, then the stomach has to be by-passed by injecting the B-12 directly into the blood stream to aid body metabolism so that the body's cells, tissues etc can have use of the B-12. The fainting spells etc are caused by oxygen transport being compromised. The oxygen is being used to keep your vital organs going and that is causing a decrease to your heart, lungs and kidneys. But, when you go unconscious for a few moments here and there it is like a brown out is in a city who is drawing too much current for the electrical system. I hope this makes sense. The problem is that it will only get worse and could eventually effect a permanent DNA change at the cellular level leaving the door open for leukemic conversion and a cancer of some sort could take hold in the vulnerable areas of your body such as the stomach and other mucus secreting areas of your body.

I was Diagnosed 6 years ago with Pernisious Anemia.B-12 injections will be given to me the rest of my life.......

Old 02-20-2004, 07:54 PM   #4
    chevyman
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chevyman HB User

Quote:
    Very well said Maricmac, I was just wondering ... if they can seprate the heads of infants now days/ wonder if they can reinstall the intrinsic factor back into the stomach via surgery?

Thanks about the info as the 5 years I never knew that!
    I have perneious anmia and my injections are once a month 1000mg... when I first got it they loaded me up with the B- 12 (cyanocobalamin) every day for 2 weeks...now it's back to once a month....the reason I ask about this is if they can do that surgery then we can say good bye to them dreaded injections!

anyway you have a great post!

Old 02-20-2004, 08:10 PM   #5
    chevyman
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chevyman HB User

btw I was diagnosed with this (perneious anemia) at age 46..no ulsers or surgerys or any type of deseases like cancer's lukimia ect ect and no heavy drinking? or smoking!!!!
    I did go on a starvation diet for like 70 days the doctor said that maybe thats what caused mine?
    I was depressed slept a lot just set on the couch for 5 min and fall to sleep...I had a tingly feeling in my neck and back and fingers..my feet would feel hot and sweel up my equal-liberum was off I was constantly falling down....thats when I went to see the doctor, I am now 51

Last edited by chevyman; 02-20-2004 at 08:20 PM.

Old 02-21-2004, 06:46 AM   #6
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chevyman
    btw I was diagnosed with this (perneious anemia) at age 46..no ulsers or surgerys or any type of deseases like cancer's lukimia ect ect and no heavy drinking? or smoking!!!!
    I did go on a starvation diet for like 70 days the doctor said that maybe thats what caused mine?
    I was depressed slept a lot just set on the couch for 5 min and fall to sleep...I had a tingly feeling in my neck and back and fingers..my feet would feel hot and sweel up my equal-liberum was off I was constantly falling down....thats when I went to see the doctor, I am now 51
    I don't know exactly, but I suspect that there will eventually be the discovery that a particular virus causes some one to suddenly be unable to produce the intrinsic factor. But, since there are so many obvious reasons and the treatment is so easy to administer if people follow the instructions, my guess is that it will never be pursued.
    Once the symptoms have been brought into check, it is really no big deal. I think it would be nice if they could invent a pill that had the intrinsic factor added to the pill. The shots are not fun and I have heard that one can develop a physical tolerance to the shots so that eventually the shots do not have the desired effect either. I am hoping that this is rumor and not truth.

Old 02-21-2004, 01:15 PM   #7
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User

Quote:
    Hi
    I was diagnosed about 8 yrs ago, my B12 level was at 96 and already suffered irreversible nerve damage and some neurological as well. My memory was shot, didn't have much of a recollection of my own kids childhood for years but most of that has now come back. I give myself B12 every 2 weeks and have my blood draw every 3 months to check the level. It was my boss who insisted I go to the Dr as I was having a hard time talking to my customers in a coherent way, and I couldn't walk straight like I was tipsey and I don't drink. Yes, at this time the injections is the only way to get the b12 into the tissues etc, if you do lack the intrinsic factor, I also take b12 sublingual liquid drops as an extra boost, it will not supply you all you need alone but helps with the injection. If you are just low in b12, supplements as well as food with b12 will do fine. Get plenty of rest eat right and it does improve, took mine nearly 5 yrs to see a difference as my level wouldn't stay up very long.

Old 02-22-2004, 12:22 AM   #8
    chevyman
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chevyman HB User

Quote:
    I don't know exactly, but I suspect that there will eventually be the discovery that a particular virus causes some one to suddenly be unable to produce the intrinsic factor. But, since there are so many obvious reasons and the treatment is so easy to administer if people follow the instructions, my guess is that it will never be pursued.
    Once the symptoms have been brought into check, it is really no big deal. I think it would be nice if they could invent a pill that had the intrinsic factor added to the pill. The shots are not fun and I have heard that one can develop a physical tolerance to the shots so that eventually the shots do not have the desired effect either. I am hoping that this is rumor and not truth.
    I sure hope I don't develop a physical tolerance/ if that ever happens wonder if I'll die? Because before my dianoses I actually thought I was dying!!! TAKEING THE B-12 SHOTS DOES THAT GO FOR THE 5 YEAR PLAN TOO? This (P.A.) is like you say no problem when it's undercontrol but when it's not it sure is a big problem then!

Old 02-22-2004, 12:48 AM   #9
    chevyman
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chevyman HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NancyH
    I was diagnosed about 8 yrs ago, my B12 level was at 96 and already suffered irreversible nerve damage and some neurological as well. My memory was shot, didn't have much of a recollection of my own kids childhood for years but most of that has now come back. I give myself B12 every 2 weeks and have my blood draw every 3 months to check the level. It was my boss who insisted I go to the Dr as I was having a hard time talking to my customers in a coherent way, and I couldn't walk straight like I was tipsey and I don't drink. Yes, at this time the injections is the only way to get the b12 into the tissues etc, if you do lack the intrinsic factor, I also take b12 sublingual liquid drops as an extra boost, it will not supply you all you need alone but helps with the injection. If you are just low in b12, supplements as well as food with b12 will do fine. Get plenty of rest eat right and it does improve, took mine nearly 5 yrs to see a difference as my level wouldn't stay up very long.
    Nancy I heard taking anything by mouth to give your B-12 a boost is useless because the syliva -acids take away what you need before it gets in your bloodstream? I take folic acid by mouth and Iron supplments but there different ??... I don't really understand all this this myself?? but I think your waisting your money on them sublingual B-12 Drops?

If you have Perneious Anemia ? to me no matter what you eat "Liver" Fish" or the good foods that the intrinsic factor grabs up from your food intake to place it in your liver for later use/and of corse to put it in your blood stream!!!....so if it's missing (intrinsic factor) how can it do that? sure eating right will make you feel better and possible lose some weight getting proper rest ect.ect,, but for us that have to have the B-12 injections thats the only thing that can make it improve (prenious anemia) that is!!!!
    I could be wrong about the whole nine yards??? If I make any sense at all??

Old 02-22-2004, 07:00 AM   #10
    NChar

NChar HB User

I've been getting B12 shots since November(1000mg). The highest i got my levels were in the 500's. Last lab read 130. So i'm going down again for some strange reason. My doctor dosen't seem to understand why this is happening. I'm only 26 and the funny thing is last months we also found out that my husband (also 26) has a B12 deficiency. We are not vegan or vegetarian. Any ideas why we would both have a deficiency if its so rare at our age?

Old 02-22-2004, 10:20 AM   #11
    barry1598

barry1598 HB User

undefined
    Quote:
    Hi
    Hi,
    I used to take injections once a month for about 19 years.Now I take a pill everyday instead of the injections.I feel alot better since starting on the pills.Ask your doctor about changing to the pill instead of the injections.

Take Care.

Old 02-22-2004, 10:25 AM   #12
    barry1598

barry1598 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SnowyLynne63
    I was Diagnosed 6 years ago with Pernisious Anemia.B-12 injections will be given to me the rest of my life.......
    Hi Lynne,
    I took injections for about 19 years for my anemia.Now I take a pill everyday instead of the once a month injections.I hated those needles.I also felt alot better on the pills instead of the needles too.Hope this helps.

Take Care

Old 02-22-2004, 11:22 AM   #13
    chevyman
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chevyman HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by barry1598
    Hi Lynne,
    I took injections for about 19 years for my anemia.Now I take a pill everyday instead of the once a month injections.I hated those needles.I also felt alot better on the pills instead of the needles too.Hope this helps.

Take Care
    What pills you guys talking about? is it the same thing as the injections?
    how is it placed in the blood stream?
    Appreciate a response!

Old 02-22-2004, 11:37 AM   #14
    chevyman
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chevyman HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NChar
    I've been getting B12 shots since November(1000mg). The highest i got my levels were in the 500's. Last lab read 130. So i'm going down again for some strange reason. My doctor dosen't seem to understand why this is happening. I'm only 26 and the funny thing is last months we also found out that my husband (also 26) has a B12 deficiency. We are not vegan or vegetarian. Any ideas why we would both have a deficiency if its so rare at our age?
    NChar, that is strange about your hubby getting it? I don't think theres an age factor on getting it tho? maybe it's in the family genes?...you may want to have your drinking water tested? after everything else is rule out!!! unless you both are hevey drinkers/ I don't know why you both are getting it at such a young age either? I was told that alchol will eat away your intrinsic factor in your stomach?
    what it's caused by is strange? like a form of deseases(cancers) and such things as that, my Dr told me some times they are no medical explaination as to why some one gets it in rare cases? I went on a starvation diet and I believe thats what caused me to get it!

I wish you both the best of Luck!!!

Last edited by chevyman; 02-22-2004 at 11:40 AM.

Old 02-22-2004, 12:50 PM   #15
    NChar

NChar HB User

No we are not drinkers. Mine is understable because i also have grave's disease. (autoimmune hyperthyroidism) Prenicious anemia is another autoimmune disease and from what my docs tell me it does accure rarely with grave's disease. I was diagnosed with a undetectable B12 level and hubbies was 84.

Closed Thread