It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Acne Message Board

  • To Those Who Say Changing Diet Cures Acne

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 02-17-2004, 08:25 AM   #31
    Neca
    Veteran
     
    Join Date: Jul 2003
    Posts: 422
    Neca HB User
    Re: To Those Who Say Changing Diet Cures Acne

    The point is why should having acne be the ONLY stimulator for adopting a healthy diet? It shouldn't! I don't eat healthier because I hope it will clear my skin. I know it won't BUT it will contribute to improving my skin's quality.

    I eat healthy because I want my body to have an overall general state of good health. I can't see how a diet consisting of fast food can even enter someone's mind if you think about what the ingredients of the 'food' is used. Read Eric Schlosser's book "Fast Food Nation" and watch Morgan Spurlock's great film "Supersize Me" when it is officially released. They both document in great details the negative effects of this type of food. "Supersize Me" is even more interesting as one guy investigates what happens to the body if it lives on a diet of soley McDonalds for 30 days. He literally ate McDonalds in the morning, at lunctime and in the evening for this period of time. By the end of it he was on the verge of fainting, his skin complexion was an awful mess and doctors were afraid he may have done permanent damage to his organs. So much for McDonalds claiming their food is "nutritional".

    But when I say healthy diet, I'm not suggesting you remove every single acne-prone food or any food type that is considered "bad for you" (like I did). OF COURSE you shouldn't. Your diet should be a "balanced" one. We all know it should contain fruits, vegetables, fresh meat and water in equal amounts. Eating a diet like mine (entirely Mediterranean excluding: bread,pasta,pizza,rice) is good for your general health. It will reduce the risk of cancer, disease, infections etc. and could prolong your life. But what it WON'T DO IS CURE YOUR ACNE! It will, like the afore mentioned, REDUCE your acne break-outs but it will never get rid of them. Following this diet will reduce the CHANCES of cancer but it doesn't mean I CAN'T still get cancer.

    Further to this, I realise that my diet has been so modified (i.e. pasta, pizza, rice, bread, dairy products, aritificial sugars etc.. all cut out) that my body is TOO clean. I have let the psycology of acne=diet get the better of me. Every time I ate food and broke out I used to think: "yes it must be that juice I drank or maybe it was the bread" meaning I HAD to cut them from my diet. This is not good! It will now increase the possibility of acquiringallergies, asthma, eczema, infectious diseases, colds, flus etc. . I have noticed that my allergies (urticaria) have become progressively worse ever since cutting out so many foods.

    Doing all these liver cleanses, kidney cleasnes, parasitic kills and fasting routines make matters worse. Your body WILL NOT survive in the environment we live in now if it is too clean. The body's immune system NEEDS to be exposed to foreign matter occasionally therefore it probably is a good idea to eat a hamburger from a restaurant (probably not McDonalds as those are gross), maybe once or twice a month. It is a good idea to have some sweets, crisps, pasta, pizza a few times a month. Obviously if you were to ONLY eat these type of foods then your body will suffer. This is why it is called a BALANCED DIET! Everything needs to be in moderation and you will be fine.

    YES you might be able to cure your acne via special diets but you will only do yourself more damage in the future. Hypothetically speaking, what would happen if you were to drink bottle only water then suddenely you run out and your only alternative would be to drink the tap water. Tap water has bacteria in it as well as possibly containing chemicals. YOUR BODY WILL NOT BE ABLE TO COPE and the end result could be extremely dangerous.

    So in my opinion eat a balanced diet which includes some foods considered 'unhealthy' every now and again. Our bodies are not made to be forced to CLEAN! It needs to clean itself naturally.

    Last edited by Neca; 02-17-2004 at 08:29 AM.

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 02-17-2004, 08:35 AM   #32
    MsMeaganMay
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Posts: 246
    MsMeaganMay HB User
    Re: To Those Who Say Changing Diet Cures Acne

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aquarius0121
    To anyone who's battling both acne AND obesity, good luck because it's a long hard road when it comes to eating right. (Especially in a world where bad food is EVERYWHERE) Especially in an environment like mine where pizza is eaten 24/7, the only "convenient" food comes in a greasy bag, and the nearest produce store is half an hour away in bumper to bumper traffic.
    Aquarius, I'm a college student SURROUNDED by pizza and fast food, and I don't find it hard to eat healthy? Maybe it's because I enjoy the things I eat and am not tempted or frustrated by what surrounding people eat. I feel good, I have energy, and I like the food that I'm eating that provides me with that. I am not saying that it would be an easy thing for others to do..especially others who are easily tempted by those items or have eaten them and that's what they are used to. I know JHART mentioned that not everyone has grown up on good nutrition and does not find the things I do enjoyable...and I completely understand that JHART . But, I must add that I was not raised on good nutrition. My mother raised me on reeses, chicken fried steak, and buttered bread. That is what my whole family is used to eating on a normal day to day basis, besides my father and stepmother and a few other additions in my family who have their pantrys stocked with atkins foods and products. Do they think I'm odd for eating the way I do? Well yes a little...they couldn't live without their bacon, sausage and egg breakfast and cheese hamburgers for lunch....but I on the other hand don't think I could live without eating the things I do. I ENJOY them . I know alot of people, like myself previously were raised on fast food, breaded food, and soft drinks and that's why it is so hard for some people to convert to a healthier diet. JHART mentioned it being an addiction...and it is for alot of people. If you have been consuming it your whole life, it is not simple to just cut it out completely. BUT, everytime I generally look at threads discussing the importance of nutrition..posters such as Prometheus and SweetJade have said before that it's not always something you can jump right into..make it a gradual change. Many people in my family have suffered from addictions from alcohol to smoking, and NONE of them could just "quit"..it was a gradual change/process. I have to agree with you Prometheus..I think we should share things that have helped us "break" the addictions. Mine were the same as yours , as well as yoga and dance. Well I know this post is getting long...but there were a few more things I wanted to include. If diet is not for you, then that is fine and completely understandable. But, it really isn't just about acne or skin conditions...it's about YOU and your BODY and doing what is better for it. I know before adopting this diet I had terrible under eye circles/puffy eyes and always felt run down...and now I feel 100x better, my eyes are so much brighter, the circles are gone, and my body feels better overall. If you love the way you eat and don't want to change..then don't..do what YOU want to do But please don't criticize others by calling this a "restrictive/suffering" diet, because that is not what it is about. I know alot of people who enjoy eating healthy , and if you choose not to..or it makes you feel restricted..then don't do it..because mental health is just as important as physical health. Take care .

    *Sorry I mentioned you so often JHART...you just brought up alot of good topics in your previous posts

    *Prometheus...I'm not sure I can hit 120, but I'm atleast aiming for 110! We better watch out for those trucks! lol

    Meagan

     
    Old 02-17-2004, 08:36 AM   #33
    prometheus
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Posts: 1,034
    prometheus HB User
    Re: To Those Who Say Changing Diet Cures Acne

    Neca brings up a good point. Acne shouldn't be the only stimulater for eating "healthy". That is like worshipping God to get to heaven. Now the kingdom of God exists, but even if one is denied access, one should still worship God because it is good and it is right to do what God wills. I think God knows the difference between who wants to get to heaven and who wants to worship Him.

    Clear skin can be the only reason to change eating habits but it may not produce long term change. I believe that a person needs other reasons to change and once you see the results that good food makes, it is easy to foster a commitment to health (and the integrity of the body) that brings with it long term change.

    For me, acne helped me realize what exactly to put inside my body and what exactly to not put inside my body, whereas I may have been blind.

    Last edited by prometheus; 02-17-2004 at 08:41 AM.

     
    Old 02-17-2004, 08:39 AM   #34
    MsMeaganMay
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Posts: 246
    MsMeaganMay HB User
    Re: To Those Who Say Changing Diet Cures Acne

    I hear about people suggesting that sometimes healthy eaters have "too clean" of a body...but I honestly don't think I believe this. With all of the pollutants, second hand smoke, stress, and everything else going around today..I really believe that our bodys already have enough to deal with without the bad effects that can come from food. Just my opinion though .

    Take care.

     
    Old 02-17-2004, 08:45 AM   #35
    prometheus
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Posts: 1,034
    prometheus HB User
    Re: To Those Who Say Changing Diet Cures Acne

    I agree very much with your sentiments, Meagan.

    Take care.

     
    Old 02-17-2004, 09:07 AM   #36
    aquarius0121
    Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Posts: 372
    aquarius0121 HB User
    Re: To Those Who Say Changing Diet Cures Acne

    Meagan,
    Living in a restricted diet is harder for me than anyone would think. It's not the pizza/greasy food that's everywhere. It's my reaction to it. I live with three girls... one of whom eats healthy, the other two get take-out every couple of days. I don't have random cravings, like I HAVE to go to the student center and get pizza. But when one of my roommates orders a supreme pizza, and I can smell it and see them eat it... that's when I start having issues. Livewise when the other one bakes cookies for her boyfriend, and the smell of cookies fills my house. Eating is almost a part of student life here. I go to Rutgers, and something that is REALLY popular here is fat sandwiches. This is the only place I've ever heard of that has these... basically they take every bad food and stick it in a single sandwich... such as chicken tenders, french fries, mozzerella sticks, onion rings... ALL IN ONE SANDWICH. Now it sounds sick, I know... But once you have one... OH MY GOD. It tastes SO good, and many people order them weekly. It's especially hard when you've been drinking, and you're really used to eating one.... Anyway, the temptation for me is just too close to home. Maybe if I had a meal plan, or lived with people that were more health-conscious it wouldn't be a problem. But to me, watching people eat food and being able to SMELL it IS torture, it makes me want to cry... and there's nothing I could eat that can give me the same satisfaction... therefore, I don't diet. I get stressed out enough about grades, getting things done around the house, keeping up socially... that eating healthy isn't a big priority right now.

    I'm sure that everyone that eats healthier foods has an overall better health, and cutting back sure goes a long way. I'm just not dedicated enough.

    Anyway, in terms of acne, I was pleased to discover a few prescriptions that worked MIRACLES. I can eat whatever I like, and still have clear skin. But for me, acne didn't appear to tie into diet anyway. So for anyone that is on a restricted diet specifically for acne, don't you worry that one day of bad eating will ruin everything? This is why I'm amazed that so many people choose this option.

    Last edited by aquarius0121; 02-17-2004 at 09:08 AM.

     
    Old 02-17-2004, 09:13 AM   #37
    Neca
    Veteran
     
    Join Date: Jul 2003
    Posts: 422
    Neca HB User
    Re: To Those Who Say Changing Diet Cures Acne

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsMeaganMay
    I really believe that our bodys already have enough to deal with without the bad effects that can come from food. Just my opinion though .

    MeaganMay, we are living too cleanly and healthily. Here are the facts:

    The incidence of asthma and allergies in children in North America has more than doubled in the past 20 years. This fact is only common throughout the West, but not in the developing countries.

    Children who live on farms don't develop many allergies while those who live in cities have a 40 to 50 percent risk of becoming allergic to something?

    Why can children growing up in Jamaica eat all the peanuts they want while Jamaican children growing up in London develop peanut allergies?

    Why are more and more adults, who never had allergies or asthma as children, suddenly becoming allergic or asthmatic?

    The problem is our bodies aren't not developing a balanced immune system early on. We are obssessed with cleanliness against germs, using detergents and chlorine to antibiotics and vaccines to antibacterial soaps, antiseptic nappies (yes these exist) and now DIET. Yes we experience fewer infections from the bad germs that used to kill a lot of children, but we don't encounter as many "good" germs that are supposed to teach our immune system how to grow up because we have wiped all of them out aswell.

    By constantly cleaning/fasting out your system all these toxins, you are not giving your body's immune system the chance to evolve into a more advanced system. By the time these toxins enter, they are already out through the bottom door. Prometheus in about 5 years time, if you are still following your diet as you do, I can guarantee you will be allergic to many foods. How can you guarantee what you eat will be tolerated by your body? It may contain unknown bacteria and by that time your body's immune system will be too weak to react.

    Eating organic only produce is quite problematic as you are not guaranteed that any of these foods have not been contaminated. Once you develop an allergy it takes a hell of a long time for it to go away. Trust me I have loads.

     
    Old 02-17-2004, 09:23 AM   #38
    Neca
    Veteran
     
    Join Date: Jul 2003
    Posts: 422
    Neca HB User
    Re: To Those Who Say Changing Diet Cures Acne

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aquarius0121
    So for anyone that is on a restricted diet specifically for acne, don't you worry that one day of bad eating will ruin everything? This is why I'm amazed that so many people choose this option.
    That is very true. Sometimes you are invited out to dinner at a restaurant and restaurant food can contain anything! They put alot of colourings and preservatives inside the food, plus there is alot of bacteria going around in the kitchens and you don't want to even know what the chefs could do .

    With regards to improving your diet Aquarius, I wouldn't worry that you are finding it difficult. To give up foods that you have been so accustomed to eating is very difficult. I remember when I stopped eating cornflakes and milk when I was 14. That was a really hard time. For 14 years eating and loving only cornflakes in the morning and then to realise that infact I should give it up.

    When you change your diet it takes time. The worst thing is to suddenly jump on to a new one. You have to ease it in to your current diet. So for example, instead of eating the entire pizza one evening, just eat TAKE half, walk out the room leaving the other half there and eat some salad or something reasonably healthy. You just have to slowly build up eating new foods. Obviously don't just stop your current diet and eat a 100% healthy one because that will probably make you ill as your body isn't used to it.

    Just note down some of the things that are considered good for you and that you may like and start incorporating them into your current diet. In time you will resist the cravings.

     
    Old 02-17-2004, 11:06 AM   #39
    prometheus
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Posts: 1,034
    prometheus HB User
    Re: To Those Who Say Changing Diet Cures Acne

    Quote:
    Prometheus in about 5 years time, if you are still following your diet as you do, I can guarantee you will be allergic to many foods. How can you guarantee what you eat will be tolerated by your body? It may contain unknown bacteria and by that time your body's immune system will be too weak to react.
    I'm not afraid. I've healed my acne, I've signficantly reduced my "benign idiopathic myoclonus" which I believe I can eliminate completely, I've balanced my hormones, I've increased my tolerance to the sun, and I've had no more physical discomforts. I never get sick, even if everyone around me is infected and suffering. I don't think that is a sign of decreased immunity. My depression has decreased significantly. Overall I feel well, healthy and alive. I would trade this for food allergies anyday, however, food allergies are created by a leaky gut allowing food particles to enter the bloodstream where they are attacked by the immune system. If I don't have a leaky gut, I will not develop food allergies. Food intolerances are different. Food intolerances are either the result of the inability to process the food, or lack of nutrition and the body purposely thwarting its ability to digest said food. As far as your comment on bacteria is concerned. Again, I'm not afraid of bacteria. The terrain of your body is far more important than the immune system response. It is the terrain of an organism that either favors pathogens, or favors vibrancy. Just turn your refrigerator off and watch what happens to the food. Watch all the organisms that begin to grow in your food. They weren't there before. What changed? The terrain did. The pH of your body and the integrity of your flesh is more important for your immunity than anything else (and I should add electromagnetic current). The diet I am following is the path that others have followed which has allowed them to live longer, healthier lives than their non-cleansing, non-fasting counterparts. So I am not afraid.

    On the increasing incidence of asthma and allergies, you may want to consider air pollution, as research after research has attributed the increase to ozone and airborne components of diesel engine exhaust.

    Also on peanuts research has shown that the process of roasting peanuts increases their allergic potential. The increasing allergic response to tree nuts has to do with their increase in use on children (particularly cereals and sweets), and artificial soy formulas on infants who have not fully developed their gut. Infants need to be on breast milk, especially for the beneficial allergy protecting affects of colustrum.

    Frank D. Gilliland, Yu-Fen Li, Andrew Saxon and David Diaz-Sanchez, "Effect of glutathione-transferase m1 and p1 genotypes on xenobiotic enhancement of allergic responses," Lancet. Vol. 363, No. 9403.

    Last edited by prometheus; 02-17-2004 at 12:37 PM.

     
    Old 02-17-2004, 12:24 PM   #40
    prometheus
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Posts: 1,034
    prometheus HB User
    Re: To Those Who Say Changing Diet Cures Acne

    If you are concerned about air pollution and feel there is nothing you can do, there is a product I use for air pollution that has passed a number of tests, standards, and comforms to European Standard EN149FFP1(S) for particulates: the respro gold techno mask. Yea I know it is a little wierd but I'd rather look weird than breathe exhaust and sub-micron pollutants . It has helped people with asthma and allergy relief.

    Other sources of pollution: chemical household cleaners, detergents, dry cleaning, perfume, formaldehyde outgassing from carpetting and mattresses, insecticides, and air fresheners.

    For natural indoor air pollution, nutrition, and allergy control: get rid of your rugs, Replace mattresses with organic mattresses. Invest in plants like pothos, english ivy, peace lily, and spider plants. Choose old clothing over new clothing. Choose natural cleaning agents over chemical ones. Lastly, invest in an air filter.

    Last edited by prometheus; 02-17-2004 at 12:35 PM.

     
    Old 02-17-2004, 12:52 PM   #41
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran
     
    Join Date: May 2002
    Posts: 849
    SweetJade1 HB User
    Re: To Those Who Say Changing Diet Cures Acne

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neca
    MeaganMay, we are living too cleanly and healthily. Here are the facts:

    The incidence of asthma and allergies in children in North America has more than doubled in the past 20 years. This fact is only common throughout the West, but not in the developing countries.

    Children who live on farms don't develop many allergies while those who live in cities have a 40 to 50 percent risk of becoming allergic to something?

    Why can children growing up in Jamaica eat all the peanuts they want while Jamaican children growing up in London develop peanut allergies?

    Why are more and more adults, who never had allergies or asthma as children, suddenly becoming allergic or asthmatic?

    The problem is our bodies aren't not developing a balanced immune system early on. We are obssessed with cleanliness against germs, using detergents and chlorine to antibiotics and vaccines to antibacterial soaps, antiseptic nappies (yes these exist) and now DIET. Yes we experience fewer infections from the bad germs that used to kill a lot of children, but we don't encounter as many "good" germs that are supposed to teach our immune system how to grow up because we have wiped all of them out aswell.

    By constantly cleaning/fasting out your system all these toxins, you are not giving your body's immune system the chance to evolve into a more advanced system. By the time these toxins enter, they are already out through the bottom door. Prometheus in about 5 years time, if you are still following your diet as you do, I can guarantee you will be allergic to many foods. How can you guarantee what you eat will be tolerated by your body? It may contain unknown bacteria and by that time your body's immune system will be too weak to react.

    Eating organic only produce is quite problematic as you are not guaranteed that any of these foods have not been contaminated. Once you develop an allergy it takes a hell of a long time for it to go away. Trust me I have loads.

    Neca,
    You bring up some good points, but you must realize that we don't live in THAT sterile of a society. I don't use antibiotic cleansers or hand gels of any sort, unlike some people (but most?). I don't detoxify through the use of supplements etc and most people don't either. I don't get sick and when I feel a slight symptom coming on...I just take a nap and it's gone. Acne sufferers already have a HIGH immune response, thanks to the high levels of IGF-1 in our systems. When I was younger, I played the sick game, ear infections and a mild case of asthma and now...none of that. The only thing I have to do to ensure that I don't get sick...is sleep. I can stress myself out all I want, but as long as I give my body time to heal (by getting sleep), I won't get sick (nor increased breakouts).


    The other thing I would like to add, is that again, the majority of the people are not sterile and do not eat Healthy, even by their sense of it. ;-) Most people still eat commercial meats, fruits, Fast Food, etc. Most people take, use (and abuse) medications and certainly don't detoxify, fast, or do parasite cleanses. So while I agree that the pollution, and the poor drinking water can contribute to problems, you are forgetting a few things.

    It's true, if you are never EXPOSED to toxins, bacteria, etc. you will not have a fast immune response and you will get sick and may possibley die. Most definately one should allow kids to get dirty, eat off the floor, etc. There's far too many bacteriae, fungi, and parasites for us to be concerned with, but using a moderate degree of common sense (basic sanitary and cooking practices) has helped the U.S. stave off major or epidemic parasitic infections, etc. The thing is though, no matter what you do, ONCE you've been exposed, your body already KNOWS it's attacker and will attack it whether it sees it 5 days or 50 years later down the road. The body remembers, so just because you've stopped eating something, doesn't mean that it won't respond aggressively again once it sees it.

    That brings up the subject of allergies. Some say that you can train your body to accept allergens, but I don't know much about that. I personally think that all of my allergies have just transformed over the years. Ear Infections, Allergy to Burmuda Grass (distant relative of Wheat grass), Asthma, Acne, Sinus Headaches, and more Acne (hormonal balance,etc). I think everything just turned into acne, LOL. Also, I know that you can work with your body to accept certain foods you are intolerant to, but it may not work with all foods. Eitherway, I think that another reason that Allergies, Asthma, etc are RISING, is because of our crappy diets.

    We have people that are not Allergic, or Intolerant, but are now Chemically Sensitive...sigh. Allergies and Asthma have both been linked to eating specific diets. These diets, similar or equal to non-acne friendly diets, are very good at boosting our Inflammation Immune Response (IGF-1 among others). We have people sensitive to Food Colorings, Preservatives, Artificial sweetners and MSG. I myself can't always tolerate eating MSG and can NEVER tolerate Aspartame (or Stevia). Both of which contain neurotransmitters that cross into my imparied Blood Brain Barrier and excite neurons that gives me headaches. So not only might I have a leaky gut, but I've got an impaired blood brain barrier and no wonder certains foods (their proteins) and chemicals bother me and others. My mother can't handle Aspartame either and we are not the only ones. Thus, it makes sense that MSG and Aspartame, among other foods have been implicated in Migraines.


    To further add to the Leaky Gut Syndrome, that is blamed on Antibiotics and NSAIDS, right? Well, I used to take a ton of this stuff when I was younger. Not to mention the Asthma Inhaler for several years. Then I was poping Motrin (or Asprin) like candy for 8 years for menstrual pains (none of that now). If it's true, no wonder myself and others are sensitive to certain foods or chemicals now. To add to that, I recently heard that women that take antibiotics have an increased chance of breast cancer (hear that acne sufferers). Now, they don't know if its because of the Antibiotic itself or because it made their bodies too sterile. Of course, I bet being too sterile, not only will cause bad Bacteria and yeast to proliferate, but it most definately will alter your pH & Hormonal balance, as well as weaken your immune system.


    So again, while you brought up some good points, you also ignored the other aspects. Once exposed, our bodies remember. Continued exposure helps our bodies learn & remember to fight other attackers, but that doesn't mean we should just go out and jump in the Hot Zone. ;-) Food, as in whether it's prepared properly, it's nutrient content, geographical location (pesticides, arasites, GMO, etc) and unfortunately ingredient content (preservative, chemicals), are causing us a world of trouble. So I don't believe that those of us living in a "Civilized", Industrial, or Wesern Society are too sterile, but that for various reasons (usually conveniece) we are doing things the wrong way and its biting us back in the butt. Yet, since life is all about Trial and Error, it's not too late =)

    Take care

    P.S. I can't believe I used the phrase "no wonder" that many times ;-)

    Last edited by SweetJade1; 02-17-2004 at 03:19 PM.

     
    Old 02-17-2004, 12:55 PM   #42
    MsMeaganMay
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Posts: 246
    MsMeaganMay HB User
    Re: To Those Who Say Changing Diet Cures Acne

    Great response Prometheus . By the way, my asthma and allergies both have disappeared since adopting a better diet .

    Take care, and eat healthy

     
    Old 02-17-2004, 01:08 PM   #43
    prometheus
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Posts: 1,034
    prometheus HB User
    Re: To Those Who Say Changing Diet Cures Acne

    You might be interested to know CRON (Caloric restriction, optimal nutrition) practitioners have low levels of antibodies, low white blood cell counts, but have increased resistance to infections. White blood cells are nothing more than glorified scavengers.

    Last edited by prometheus; 02-17-2004 at 01:10 PM.

     
    Old 02-17-2004, 03:49 PM   #44
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran
     
    Join Date: May 2002
    Posts: 849
    SweetJade1 HB User
    Re: To Those Who Say Changing Diet Cures Acne

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aquarius0121
    Meagan,
    Living in a restricted diet is harder for me than anyone would think. It's not the pizza/greasy food that's everywhere. It's my reaction to it. I live with three girls... one of whom eats healthy, the other two get take-out every couple of days. I don't have random cravings, like I HAVE to go to the student center and get pizza. But when one of my roommates orders a supreme pizza, and I can smell it and see them eat it... that's when I start having issues. Livewise when the other one bakes cookies for her boyfriend, and the smell of cookies fills my house. Eating is almost a part of student life here. I go to Rutgers, and something that is REALLY popular here is fat sandwiches. This is the only place I've ever heard of that has these... basically they take every bad food and stick it in a single sandwich... such as chicken tenders, french fries, mozzerella sticks, onion rings... ALL IN ONE SANDWICH. Now it sounds sick, I know... But once you have one... OH MY GOD. It tastes SO good, and many people order them weekly. It's especially hard when you've been drinking, and you're really used to eating one.... Anyway, the temptation for me is just too close to home. Maybe if I had a meal plan, or lived with people that were more health-conscious it wouldn't be a problem. But to me, watching people eat food and being able to SMELL it IS torture, it makes me want to cry... and there's nothing I could eat that can give me the same satisfaction... therefore, I don't diet. I get stressed out enough about grades, getting things done around the house, keeping up socially... that eating healthy isn't a big priority right now.

    I'm sure that everyone that eats healthier foods has an overall better health, and cutting back sure goes a long way. I'm just not dedicated enough.

    Anyway, in terms of acne, I was pleased to discover a few prescriptions that worked MIRACLES. I can eat whatever I like, and still have clear skin. But for me, acne didn't appear to tie into diet anyway. So for anyone that is on a restricted diet specifically for acne, don't you worry that one day of bad eating will ruin everything? This is why I'm amazed that so many people choose this option.

    Aquarius,
    So are you saying that there are no healthy options where you live? What food places are there to eat at? I'll tell ya, I'm one of the semi-clean individuals on here that manages to eat "healthy" fast food, "healthy" junk, etc and still have GREAT results with my skin. Sure I'm betting that's why I still have 1% left (some dairy and bad oils), but having 99% clear skin is much better than having 60% - 80% any day! Not to mention, it's improved my mild hirsutism (w/Spiro) and eliminated my menstrual pains. Girl, solely for the permanent relief of menstrual cramps I would have followed this diet anyway!

    Of course, I've reduced my fast food, etc consumption by 50%, but I still eat there and out at resturants. There's some dieting rule out there that believes in the 80/20 rule. Meaning 80% "ALL the Right things" and 20% Splurge. Overtime, you no longer want certain things or can't even tolerate them. Sweet stuff even 100% fruit juice is almost unbearable to me now. I notice that I truly only crave sweets, when I'm hungry. I've read somewhere that if you are craving sugar it is because your body is hungry. Your body knows that Glucose is Fuel, so you will always prefer SWEET over any other flavor. As we get older this preference changes slightly, but it's built into us. So as long as I'm eating regularly, the thought never crosses my mind. I'm not a sugar or carb addict, but I did believe that certain carbs were "healthy". My mother she doesnt eat bread, but she gets PLENTY of bad carbs from the candy, cookies, sodas, non-100% fruit juices she's always consuming. The reason she does so is because she doesn't eat. At work she doesn't eat Breakfast or Lunch and so on the way home, what does she pick up? Junk. It's really insane, cuz she'll eat gum in bed! My dad and I both follow some form of a "Low Carb" diet, but the only thing I've managed to get her to change was to buy 100% fruit juice more often. I will say though, she eats more fruits (cuz their sweet) and vegetables than us ;-)

    So if you are addicted, the best thing to do is to shuffle your addiction onto healthier foods. You want that sandwhich, get it without the breaded stuff. You want cookies, bake your own Gluten Free Cookies or purchase some at the Health Food store or order them online (dozens of stores). If you like cake donuts, I highly reccomend Kinnikinnick Foods. I don't like cake donuts, but GF Cake donuts are awesome. If you like pasta, just purchase GF pasta. I've never been found of regular wheat pasta, but GF pasta is made with Brown Rice, Corn, Quinoa, Amaranth or other grains. I tend to favor the Brown Rice though...it's soo good.

    You want sweets, purchase Gourmet or Casein Free (milk free) Dark Chocolate. Eat tons of fruit. Eat dried fruit nuts, and seeds, instead of candy. Trust me, because I cut out certain foods, my desire to eat other foods that I normally wouldn't eat has increased. Of course thare are still vegetables and fruits that I don't like so I don't eat them, but otherwise, everything else is up for grabs! Eat carrots, pickles, olives, brocolli to munch on. The possibilities are endless. Changing your diet is a HUGE opportunity to Experiment and try something new. You wouldn't believe how many other foods are out there and how good they can taste. I bet if you got a meal plan and avoided only what was neccessary you would be better off.

    Oh yeah, I was wondering would you mind sharing with us what your current regimen is? What medications are you taking?

    I wish you the best either way ;-)


    P.S. Note about serving sizes. When we talk about Grains, a serving is 1/4 - 1/2 cup uncooked. So usually we end up eating 2x - 6x the amount of pasta per meal than we should....and call that ONE serving! Along with that, a Slice of Bread is ONE serving. So in Italy, yes they eat pasta, I wonder if it's ALWAYS made with wheat, but they eat 1 serving with their meals. So they probably eat a maximum of 6 servings a day, where as we eat between 6 - 20 servings a day (not counting the foods that contain wheat flours)

     
    Old 02-17-2004, 03:55 PM   #45
    Neca
    Veteran
     
    Join Date: Jul 2003
    Posts: 422
    Neca HB User
    Re: To Those Who Say Changing Diet Cures Acne

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by prometheus
    I've balanced my hormones
    Why did you balance your hormones? I thought you said acne was 100% caused by diet?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by prometheus
    If I don't have a leaky gut, I will not develop food

    allergies.
    There is no way for you to control this so you cannot guarantee you will never have an

    allergy therefore I would not tempt fate.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by prometheus
    The terrain of your body is far more important than the immune system

    response.
    This is NOT true, they are equally important and neither one can survive without the

    other.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by prometheus
    On the increasing incidence of asthma and allergies, you may want to

    consider air pollution, as research after research has attributed the increase to ozone

    and airborne components of diesel engine exhaust.
    This again is NOT true. If you speak to any allergy specialist they will tell you that

    our obssession with personal cleanliness is the PROBABLE causing factor. This does not

    imply that air polluction has no effect on allergies, they probably do but they don't

    cause FOOD ALLERGIES which is what we are talking about. Anyway if you examine journals

    regarding the ozone layer they all declare that the 'hole' in the ozone layer has

    diminished significantly as a result of a massive reduction in the use of pollutants by

    countries.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by prometheus
    If you are concerned about air pollution there is the respro gold

    techno mask. It has helped people with asthma and allergy relief.
    Well this would only be useful if I was allergic to air pollution. My point is: now

    more and more people are suffering from food allergies and the cause of this is because

    we are becoming too clean. Obviously food allergies are not a result of air pollution.

    I'm not sure why you keep referring to air pollution ???

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by prometheus
    For natural indoor air pollution, nutrition, and allergy control: get

    rid of your rugs, Replace mattresses with organic mattresses. Invest in plants like

    pothos, english ivy, peace lily, and spider plants. Choose old clothing over new

    clothing. Choose natural cleaning agents over chemical ones. Lastly, invest in an air

    filter.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SweetJade1
    You bring up some good points, but you must realize that we don't

    live in THAT sterile of a society.
    LOL! Sweetjade look at Prometheus post! She has just confirmed to me how CLEAN the

    average person can be and it is mad! ORGANIC MATTRESSES, SPIDER PLANTS, AIR FILTERS?!?!

    Yes this may work if you lock yourself up inside your house and never leave it. But

    when you go outside you will chock! No wonder Prometheus uses a face mask.

    Prometheus what will happen when your body isn't accustomed to acid rain? You will have

    to go outside in a plastic blow up bubble.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SweetJade1
    The thing is though, no matter what you do, ONCE you've been exposed,

    your body already KNOWS it's attacker and will attack it whether it sees it 5 days or

    50 years later down the road. The body remembers, so just because you've stopped eating

    something, doesn't mean that it won't respond aggressively again once it sees

    it.
    I agree with this, of course it is true, but you haven't taken into account mutations

    and mutating bacteria. Just because your body has been exposed to say bacteria "X"

    once, doesn't mean it will be able to fight off the same type of bacteria but different

    strain 50 years down the line. If you don't UPDATE your immune system then your body

    will definitely not have a wide database in its memory. You will only be immune to

    strains that you have been exposed to at THAT point in time and not the current time.

    So I disagree with all these cleansing, parasite kills etc. because it flushes

    EVERYTHING out of you and resets your system to purity. As a result of adopting this

    "perfect diet" you will avoid many types of food hence 5-10 years down the line you

    suddenly experience the food resulting in a likely allergy.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SweetJade1
    Once exposed, our bodies remember. Continued exposure helps our

    bodies learn & remember to fight other attackers, but that doesn't mean we should just

    go out and jump in the Hot Zone.
    Well eating acne-prone food once every two weeks won't hurt at all. It will help your

    immune system develop and maintain a strong barrier. Simply neglecting this fact is

    dangerous for your immune system in the future.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SweetJade1
    That brings up the subject of allergies. Some say that you can train

    your body to accept allergens, but I don't know much about that.
    The success rate with this is extremely slim and very few people actually succeed.

    Furthermore, it takes a very long time.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SweetJade1
    I personally think that all of my allergies have just transformed

    over the years. Ear Infections, Allergy to Burmuda Grass (distant relative of Wheat

    grass), Asthma, Acne, Sinus Headaches, and more Acne (hormonal balance,etc). I think

    everything just turned into acne, LOL. Also, I know that you can work with your body to

    accept certain foods you are intolerant to, but it may not work with all foods.
    So you do have allergies aswell then? Have they become progressively worse since you

    have become older and 'minimised' your diet?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SweetJade1
    Allergies and Asthma have both been linked to eating specific

    diets.
    ...most notably ones that isolate your intake to 'certain' foods only.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SweetJade1
    I recently heard that women that take antibiotics have an increased

    chance of breast cancer (here that acne sufferers). Now, they don't know if its because

    of the Antibiotic itself or because it made their bodies too sterile. Of course, I bet

    being too sterile, not only will cause bad Bacteria and yeast to proliferate, but it

    most definately will alter your pH & Hormonal balance, as well as weaken your immune

    system.

    You got it in one! Taking antibiotics DEFINITELY weakens your immune system. This issue

    is a big debate amongst allergists and dermatologists. The allergists believe that

    antibiotics suppress the immune system increasing the likelihood of developing many

    allergies while the dermatologists rubbish the claim. Of course the derms don't want to

    believe it because they make so much money from the antibiotics! Well I for one

    experienced this problem. I had very mild urticaria when I was young and would maybe

    have one skin reaction every 3 months. Now after 8 various courses of antibiotics I am

    allergic to many foods. I think, also, that me restricting my diet to a non-acne prone

    one has only worsened the problem.

    This is why I ALWAYS dissuade people from using antibiotics on this board unless it is

    absolutely necessary.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsMeaganMay
    By the way, my asthma and allergies both have disappeared since adopting a better diet.
    Well you can never be 100% sure why your allergies have disappeared but yes you may have stopped eating a particular food which you could have been allergic too.

     
    Closed Thread




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:43 PM.





    2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!