It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• To Those Who Say Changing Diet Cures Acne

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-17-2004, 03:58 PM   #46
    Neca
    Veteran

Neca HB User
    Re: To Those Who Say Changing Diet Cures Acne

P.S. sorry for the double spacing...my PC went all spacey on me

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2004, 04:38 PM   #47
    prometheus
    Inactive

prometheus HB User

Neca,

Yes I balanced my hormones through nutrition. I've written this elsewhere and so has Sweetjade just a few posts back, but it is simple to understand. Do you think diet and hormones are mutually exclusive? If acne is caused by an unnatural hormonal imbalance, then it is caused by improper diet, because if you have proper nutrition and elimination, then your body can regulate its normal hormonal fluctuations so that there is not an excess of hormones. If you have acne caused by hormones then you have an unnnatural hormonal imbalance, an excess of hormones. My unnatural hormonal imbalance was caused by improper diet. Do you think hormones just deregulate themselves and wreak havoc on the body? No. Your body has natural hormonal fluctuations that require nutrition in order to properly regulate.

I don't know if you are trying to be argumentative or what, but you brought up the rising incidence of allergies and asthma. I thought you meant it in general. That is why I brought up air pollution because of research concluding that air pollution is the main factor in the rising incidence of allergies and asthma. You ask me what air pollution has to do with food allergies..well, what does asthma have to do with food allergies? On food allergies, I don't know who you talked to, but it seems we have contradicting information. But that is ok, as professionals tend to disagree. I've not read anywhere that the rising increase of food allergies has to do with being too "clean". I have read, however, that the rising increase of food allergies has to do with improper diet, improper food preparation practices, and artificial (soy based) weaning practices. From research I've read, experts conclude that roasting peanuts increases their allergic potential, and that the use of nuts in candies and cereals is the likely cause of the rising incidence of peanut allergies in children.

Quote:
    There is no way for you to control this so you cannot guarantee you will never have an allergy therefore I would not tempt fate.
    There are a lot of things I don't have control over in this world but that doesn't mean I'm afraid of it (or that I should be or somehow let it influence my better judgement). Let's say despite everything I've read concerning food allergies (leaky gut, immune system reaction, improper food preparation, lack of proper weaning, etc) you are correct, and that people develop food allergies because they are too "clean". Let's say that's right, and I am seriously increasing my risk of developing a food allergy by somehow being too "clean". Well, hey, that's nothing compared to cancer, diabetes, acne, obesity, hormonal imbalance, multiple sclerosis, parkinson's, depression, chronic fatigue, being on 4 different medications at 40, or two different medications at 25, or dying from heart disease at 85. I am following in the path of many more who have gone before me and basing my meals on scientific research from the Caloric Restriction, Life extension community. I see the proof in my results and in my blood tests and I have reassurance in that.

This is not to say caloric restriction isn't without its risks. There are risks that I have accepted. Obviously, you don't know what they are, if you seem to think food allergy is a big risk. I've not heard of food allergy being a risk with optimal nutrition or caloric restriction, but there are so many other risks to choose from. There are, however, no risks with optimal nutrition except better health. All I had to do to get rid of acne was to eliminate my food intolerances, and enhance my nutrition. Now I practice CR, because I can, and I believe in the further benefits of living a life of periodic fasting. I could expand on all of the known benefits and also the speculated benefits here, some of which include increased resistence to all manner of disease and toxicity as compared to non fasting counterparts, which flies in the face of this "too clean" idea being somehow a hinderance to toxic resistence.

Last edited by prometheus; 02-17-2004 at 05:19 PM.

Old 02-17-2004, 04:40 PM   #48
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

LOL, Thanks Neca, cuz that was kinda tough to read ;-)

Anyway, in response to what you said to me, Prometheus is not the average person (much stronger) and I'm sure she's proud of that ;-)

Now, of course the only way your body can update to mutating bacteria is to get exposed which happens naturally. This happens whether you do it intentionally or not. I for one do not take any sort of Flu or Cold shots, don't believe in it and I haven't had any problems. I don't wash my clothes in hot water and only use bleach on my whites. Yet, I've been coughed and sneezed on and I've been around everyone else that has gotten the shot, so I've been exposed.

Actually I don't have any allergies and I tested Negative to Celiacs Disease. Those were all things I was experiencing as a young child and teen. LOL, thats why I said all of that probably just turned into acne. Asthma hasn't bothered me in 6 years (there was a year that it bothered everyone in town) and prior to that 4 years. Sinus Headaches haven't had those since I was 13. The only thing I have now are hormonal imbalances (16 years), but my diet has taken care of the majority of this.

Since changing my diet, no, none of the above has reoccured. In fact, I hardly get headaches now and was able to pinpoint MSG to giving me really bad headaches. I was also able to pinpoint taking certain foods to getting specific types acne. Eliminating Gluten, Sugar & Diary (as much as possible) guarentees a pain free menstrual cycle. So there were many benefits to changing my diet and there's still plenty to eat. =)

I think I understand what you saying though. You feel that because you eliminated certain foods, that now you are allergic to NEW foods, right? Well from what I've heard others with Food Sensitivities say, you can't eat the same food daily, you must rotate otherwise you could develop an intolerance to that specific food. However, I bet that the foods that you are now allergic to, and that others are intolerant or allergic to, are still the TOP ALLERGENS in our country. So instead of thinking about it in that form of light, why not think about it as your body telling you that you have no business eating these foods, period.

Yet, another way to look at is that once you eliminate a food, YES, you have now opened the door to allow your body to TELL you what else is AGGREVATING it. Before you were constantly eating these foods and you were overloading your body's receptors to the point that it reduced sensitivity to that particular food. Yes, you were still reacting physically, but overtime not as strongly or as strongly as you should have been. So once you STOP eating a certain food, you've just given your body the ability to heal and normalize it's sensitivity. So if you ever happen to eat a troublesome food (or enough of it), then it will react again only.....possibly worse (depending on amount or sensitivity).

So the food game is definately about listening to your body, and if that's too hard, then people are welcome to use a Journal or take Food & Chemical Intolerance tests. I believe the results are lists of foods broken into 3 groups and one group is Safe, the other is off limits, and the other group is the one that they are mildly sensitive to(?). I believe that group is that one that they try to work with the person over time so that they can include more of those foods in their diet as well. I remember reading one womans results from LEAP and it was very similar to the foods that we are avoiding. In fact it had the bad preservatives, MSG, colorings and eliminated Evil Lectins (ALL Grains, Nightshades, Peanuts, Cashews, Legumes) among other things.

Then again, to make it easier, most of what we avoid, seems to fall in the Top Allergen List also. These foods seem to be problematic, not just because they are allergenic, but also because of their other proteins and chemicals. They contain IGF-1 mimickers, and Insulin Mimickers, plus induce inflammation, harder to digest, reduce nutrient uptake, etc. So why not eliminate the BADDEST of the bad guys? ;-) There's still plenty of other alternatives, so why not enjoy them?

Anyway, how are things now for you? Your skin, your allergies?

Last edited by SweetJade1; 02-17-2004 at 04:46 PM.

Old 02-17-2004, 05:25 PM   #49
    prometheus
    Inactive

prometheus HB User

Quote:
    Yet, another way to look at is that once you eliminate a food, YES, you have now opened the door to allow your body to TELL you what else is AGGREVATING it. Before you were constantly eating these foods and you were overloading your body's receptors to the point that it reduced sensitivity to that particular food. Yes, you were still reacting physically, but overtime not as strongly or as strongly as you should have been. So once you STOP eating a certain food, you've just given your body the ability to heal and normalize it's sensitivity. So if you ever happen to eat a troublesome food (or enough of it), then it will react again only.....possibly worse (depending on amount or sensitivity).
    Yes Sweetjade, I agree. You bring up a good point about listening to your body. I hear the word "moderation" being thrown around here. Well, I prefer to let my body decide what is and what isn't moderation, with regard to diet.

Last edited by prometheus; 02-17-2004 at 05:47 PM.

Old 02-17-2004, 06:09 PM   #50
    aquarius0121
    Veteran
    (female)

aquarius0121 HB User

Sweetjade,

I'm currently on three prescriptions. Benzaclin, Tazorac, and Triaz 3% bp wash. All topicals, so I don't have the ugly side effects of oral meds. In the morning, the first thing I do is take a shower, where I wash my face with Triaz. After I get out of the shower, I apply Benzaclin and wait till it dries. Then I apply Oil of Olay sensitive moisure therapy lotion (noncomedogenic). After THAT dries, I apply Clinique superfit foundation (oil free), then the rest of my make-up. In the evening, I wash my face with Triaz again, AGAIN apply my moisturizer, then apply Tazorac after it dries. It's a pain, but I've been 100% clear for a few months. Once in a LONG while, I'll feel a little bump, like what used to be the begining of a cyst... but it actually disappears before surfacing! I believe that Tazorac is the thing that is working.

Old 02-17-2004, 06:58 PM   #51
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aquarius0121
    Sweetjade,

I'm currently on three prescriptions. Benzaclin, Tazorac, and Triaz 3% bp wash. All topicals, so I don't have the ugly side effects of oral meds. In the morning, the first thing I do is take a shower, where I wash my face with Triaz. After I get out of the shower, I apply Benzaclin and wait till it dries. Then I apply Oil of Olay sensitive moisure therapy lotion (noncomedogenic). After THAT dries, I apply Clinique superfit foundation (oil free), then the rest of my make-up. In the evening, I wash my face with Triaz again, AGAIN apply my moisturizer, then apply Tazorac after it dries. It's a pain, but I've been 100% clear for a few months. Once in a LONG while, I'll feel a little bump, like what used to be the begining of a cyst... but it actually disappears before surfacing! I believe that Tazorac is the thing that is working.
    Ahh, I see, you are one of those people ;-) He he, nah so how long have you had acne? Would you say that it is only facial, no body acne?

I vaguely remember Tazorac. It's supposed to help heal as well as lighten the marks left over, right? Is Benzacline a BP formula with a topical antibiotic?

To me if the above is true, than I wouldn't have any motivation to alter my diet either. I mean most of us that opt to change our diets do so because NONE of the other stuff worked or was EFFECTIVE enough =/

So, in a way, I am glad because my problems were deeper than just my skin, but that was one of the symptoms my body chose to show me. I had other problems and I knew that I wasn't going through normal bout of teenage puberty induced acne, etc.

If nothing else I hope that you don't take offense when you hear us post, because at the very least, we don't want those people that are dealing with other hormonal/health problems (may be unaware) to continue trying topicals or antibiotics when that isn't enough to solve their problems.

For me, if the doctors were more knowledgable or more compassionate, some of my problems would not have escalated to the point that they have. Just like Wieght Gain, Hirsutism & Androgenic Alopecia gets worse over the years, so the sooner you can stop that, the better off you will be. You can eliminate acne at any age, but once you've accquired those fat cells and once your hair follicles have been sensitive to DHT, that NEVER goes away...at least that's what they say. If you want those problems (100%) gone you'll have to follow a specific diet or use some sort of Topical and/or Oral Anti-androgen (prescription or herbal) to prevent sensitivity.

That's actually what you are using when you use Tazorac, I guess that's why you like it some much. It's a type of retinoid that acts as a topical DHT inhibitor (anti-androgen). I tell ya, I loved RetinA and Azelex (both retiniods), but when I switched to BC-Spiro (oral anti-androgens) and then started using non-pore clogging skincare, my skin looked just as good, if not better. Now my skin (face & body) looks amazing, and of course, you know what I'm know doing for that =)

Take care

Last edited by SweetJade1; 02-17-2004 at 07:07 PM.

Old 02-18-2004, 05:46 AM   #52
    aquarius0121
    Veteran
    (female)

aquarius0121 HB User

Sweetjade,

I was never a person who HAD responded to topicals before. I had cystic acne on my chin line, which is a common symptom of hormonal acne. I had been taking Differin, Cleocin, Triaz, Benzaclin, Retin-A, about 4 different birth control pills... I can't even remember all the other prescriptions I've taken over the years. Tazorac was the last step my dermatologist prescribed before accutane. And luckily it seemed to be exactly what I needed. And Tazorac's fading capabilities on red marks is decent. So I can definately say I've been one of those people that's tried just about everything to cure acne, even attempting a strict diet. My acne lasted a duration of about 6 years, which compared to others here, is probably no time at all. My one saving grace is that I never picked at my acne, so in terms of gruesome scars, I barely have anything.

I never had much in terms of body acne, only a few cysts on my chest and on my back once in a while. Those have basically gone away because I use topicals on those areas too.

BELIEVE me, even though it sounds like I have no problems now, I had YEARS of acne suffering before I found the right mix. I was almost ready to call it quits, and just accept myself, acne and all.

Old 02-18-2004, 02:42 PM   #53
    Emma2

Emma2 HB User

I never heard tazorac was able to inhibit androgens. That's very exciting since I can't take the pill or spiro.I'm going to try it.

Thanks

Old 02-18-2004, 05:36 PM   #54
    aquarius0121
    Veteran
    (female)

aquarius0121 HB User

I'm a HUGE Tazorac fan, just watch out for the peeling and burning in the beginning. It'll take your skin a while to get used to it, and lots of people give up too early.

Closed Thread