It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• How many times a day should I.....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-18-2004, 11:02 PM   #1
    PxPx

PxPx HB User
    Exclamation How many times a day should I.....

Hello all, I'm currently using Differin gel and Clindamycin Phosphate gel for my moderately bad acne. It works fairly well, but my skin has become fairly red and the skin by my chin is chapped and peeling. I am now starting to moisturize my skin with Curel Ultra Healing lotion. However, I don't know how often to moisturize my face since I'm fairly dumb at stuff like this. Also, will the Curel cause my face to break out more and does moisturizing your face actually make the redness go away? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2004, 01:49 AM   #2
    surrealmeal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

surrealmeal HB User
    Re: How many times a day should I.....

If i'm remembering correctly, the Curel lotion you are talking about is made for the body. Usually body lotions are more likely than facial lotions to have pore-clogging ingredients and oils. A better bet would be to find a gentle, oil-free, noncomedogenic (non-pore clogging) facial lotion. There are a lot of lotions to choose from. Applying the lotion twice a day would probably be a safe bet. Another important thing is to use a moisturizer with SPF during the day time. Using any topical acne treatment, including Differin (which i have used before), it is really important to protect the skin from sunburn. The skin is more fragile when using topical acne medications so preventing a sunburn is a good thing to do to prevent redness and further irritation.

My personal preference for moisturizer is 100% jojoba oil. This stuff is really awesome. If you haven't heard much about it, you might be thinking "Um, but you just said to use oil-free moisturizer??" Technically, jojoba oil isn't actually an oil, but a wax. It helps unclog pores, it's very moisturizing, and extremely gentle. It doesn't have spf though. What i use for a daily SPF moisturizer is "Faces" by Banana Boat. It's SPF 23, oil free, and hypoallergenic. Good stuff, gentle too. If you have any other questions i'll be happy to try and help out.

Old 02-19-2004, 07:42 AM   #3
    jojo64
    Senior Veteran

jojo64 HB User

I was also going to suggest jojoba oil. I use it as my night time moisturizer (I also have acne prone skin....this won't break you out). During the day I use an spf moisturizer so I don't use the jojoba with it. But it's an awesome moisturizer, and works very tell to counteract the drying effects of acne topicals.

Old 02-19-2004, 01:31 PM   #4
    PxPx

PxPx HB User

Can you get moisturizers with that Jojobo Oil at most supermarkets. Or is that something you have to go to some special store to get? Also, is it fairly expensive, or is the price run-of-the-mill along with other moisturizers?

Old 02-19-2004, 02:17 PM   #5
    grracne

grracne HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PxPx
    Can you get moisturizers with that Jojobo Oil at most supermarkets. Or is that something you have to go to some special store to get? Also, is it fairly expensive, or is the price run-of-the-mill along with other moisturizers?
    i had to order mine off the internet

Old 02-20-2004, 02:38 AM   #6
    surrealmeal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

surrealmeal HB User

Well yes you can get moisturizers including jojoba oil, but i personally think it's best to get the pure oil, 100%. I found my bottle at a local healthfood store and it cost $6, which i think is a good price considering most other moisturizers are around that price. But i'm sure it can be found for even cheaper--the healthfood store around here is kinda expensive. Hopefully you can find some locally, but if not, online is always a good option.

Old 02-20-2004, 07:25 AM   #7
    jojo64
    Senior Veteran

jojo64 HB User

Yeah, I get mine jojoba at a vitamin store called the Vitamine Shoppe. Not all places carry it though, like I know my local GNC's don't carry it. But it's really a great moisturizer for all skin types and it's inexpensive, and you only need to use a few drops so it lasts a very long time.

Old 02-20-2004, 08:31 PM   #8
    marykatherine
    (female)

marykatherine HB User

Hi:
    I have been using the Differin and Cleocin T (clindamycin) since last fall. I can't tell you what a difference it has done for me. Whatever you do don't stop the regimen your doc has you on. I am now using the clin daily and Differin every other day but only washing once a day. If my skin starts to break out with any acne it is gone by the next day without ever erupting. I love this stuff. Anyhow....the dryness will go away eventually. I had such dryness for maybe a month. I didn't use any lotions too much though. Maybe to touch up some really dry spots now and then. I would recommend using the Cetaphil lotion. If your skin gets too dry I would suggest stop the regimen for a day. Then go back to it again. But hang in there. I use the Cleocin lotion (forgot what it is but it's not really lotion but a liquid with a dabber) and I love it. But after your skin starts to act normal again you may be able to just use the Differin every other day or even once a week. Good luck.

Quote:
    Hello all, I'm currently using Differin gel and Clindamycin Phosphate gel for my moderately bad acne. It works fairly well, but my skin has become fairly red and the skin by my chin is chapped and peeling. I am now starting to moisturize my skin with Curel Ultra Healing lotion. However, I don't know how often to moisturize my face since I'm fairly dumb at stuff like this. Also, will the Curel cause my face to break out more and does moisturizing your face actually make the redness go away? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-10-2005, 11:36 AM   #9
    skoniossis
    (female)

skoniossis HB User

Quote:
    why are you mixing drugs? Use on or the other, it may be why youre skin is irritated. Also, use an oil free moisturizer

Old 08-10-2005, 11:43 AM   #10
    AcneSufferer
    (male)

AcneSufferer HB User
    Thumbs up Re: How many times a day should I.....

This answers your question, look no further
    I use Clindamycin Phosphate gel and use a mosturizer in the morning, and my skin is looking much better from moderate to mild after 1 month. Do not use body moisturizers they will break your skin out and/or make your skin look much more oily, use "Neutrogena Healthy Defense SPF 30 daily mositurizer. It is non-comedogenic and doesnt make your skin look oily. You will find it by the acne products at a local grocery store. It is in a whitish box.
    Good Luck

Old 08-11-2005, 06:27 PM   #11
    Erica in IL
    (female)

Erica in IL HB User

The Wild Oats (health food store) near me sells a 16 oz bottle of jojoba for $16. Companies that stock soap making or lotion making supplies will have it much cheaper than this.

Last edited by Erica in IL; 08-11-2005 at 06:37 PM.

Closed Thread