It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Home Phototherapy for Mild/Moderate Acne

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-21-2004, 03:06 AM   #76
    Bonnie1892

Bonnie1892 HB User
    Re: Home Phototherapy for Mild/Moderate Acne

Looks like JHart may have been banned!? Not sure why, but he hasn't posted recently and it says "banned" under his username. That's strange, though. I've seen him on this board forever. Hopefully he comes back under a different alias and updates his results!

I am interested in this light treatment, but hesitant to shell out the money right now (I'm a broke college student, haha). I emailed my dermatologist...we'll see if they say anything about it. It's hard to accept something as legit with such little research. Then again, why would my derm recommend a product that is so much less money then conventional treatments? Oh well, we'll see!

Anyway, keep posting your results! I am mostly clear but still get minor out breaks a few times a week. And I would definitely love to have better skin texture! I'm guessing this doesn't help with blackheads, huh? That's a huge problem of mine especially on the nose, chin, inner cheeks.

Well, good luck guys!
    Bonnie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2004, 05:20 AM   #77
    Neca
    Veteran

Neca HB User

Bonnie I agree that this light treatment is very expensive especially if you are a student and moreover as you say, there isn't alot of research available. But if you are lucky you might find some cheap ones on eBay. You just need to constantly check. I was really lucky as I got my system on eBay for only 50 ($85) when it retails over four times that price. But I recently checked eBay and the price seems to have gone up to 100 for second hand models which is weird. I guess you just have to find an auction where not many people are bidding.

I also have quite a bad blackhead problem on my nose and haven't really seen great results in this department using the light box. But I guess it is aimed more at reducing inflammation and killing off bacteria. The problem with blackheads is that they are blocked pores so I am not too sure how long it takes for the light box to effectively penetrate all the way down. We will see after the next four weeks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ruthy
    Neca - He was sitting about 24" away from the bulbs and was using both the red and blue bulbs (at the same time) once a day for 15 min on one side of his face, and then turning and 15 min. on the other side of his face. He would appear slightly red all over after the treatment, but that would go away quickly. However, some parts of his "acne areas" were seeming a little redder, and drier. The only other thing he is using is Lubriderm for a moisturizer and washing twice a day with Pears bar soap. The last 2 days he has started Cetaphil/no water instead of the Pears.
    Ruthy wow he is sitting that far back, I sit 6-7 inches from the light box. My redness lasts maximum 10 minutes. The fact that your son's redness disappears after a short period of time is a good sign. You say some parts of his acne seem redder and I am not surprised by this. This could be the result of one of two things: either your son is using the unit while his face still has moisturiser lotion on it or some cream etc. as he may have forgotten to wash his face. Remember he needs to have washed is face and it needs to be clean before using the unit. So his skin, creams and the light may be reacting with eachother. Or on the other hand his acne is being 'killed off' by the light which is a great sign too. But easing off the light treatment is also a good idea because you don't exactly know why he is reacting so check with your derm just to be incase. The Cetaphil regime is a great switch as well! I have been using it recently and my skin feels better and smoother.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-21-2004 at 10:16 AM.

Old 02-21-2004, 06:06 AM   #78
    Clark

Clark HB User

Neca - The light treatment that Ruthy and I are referring to is different from the Dermalux unit that you are using. Ours is simply two large GE 150 watt dichro-color light bulbs (one blue, one red). I think the lights are much hotter than what you are experiencing from the Dermalux, and you must sit much farther away.

Ruthy - I began sitting about 36" away from the bulbs, and quickly noticed the same thing your son did -- certain portions of my face were getting too dry. In my last session I moved back to about 44", and noticed that the heat that I felt was substantially reduced. I feel like it is doing some good generally, but also creating some issues with the severe dry spots.

Neca - What are your current thoughts regarding the effectiveness of your light box?

Last edited by moderator2; 02-21-2004 at 10:15 AM.

Old 02-21-2004, 07:06 AM   #79
    Neca
    Veteran

Neca HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clark
    Maybe Jhart has disappeared because his treatment is working so well?

Neca - What are your current thoughts regarding the effectiveness of your light box?
    LOL!! That's what I was thinking aswell, I bet he has got perfect skin and is making the most of it now If he does then that is excellent and suggests that the light treatment the right direction to go.

I knew you guys were using a different model of light unit but I didn't realise they were that different strength. Sorry about that, I shouldn't have assumed that. My dermalux unit is only 75 watts, so it seems like yours is double the power. That explains why you guys sit so far back, I see But it is strange that you are experiencing a bit of irritation, it probably does relate to how close you sit.

Regarding the effectiveness of the light box, I'm not entirely sure beause some days my skin can look really good and reasonably clear but then there are long periods where my skin gets inundated with some stubborn spots.

So far I would say that the light box operates similar to Benzol Peroxide. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. It's strange. I have certainly seen a huge reduction in blemish production, I do not get them anymore whatsoever. I still have spots, pimples, blackheads but these are less stubborn.

I'm hoping I continue to see improvements though. Clark, what are your thoughts so far?

Old 02-21-2004, 09:59 AM   #80
    progessmaker
    (female)

progessmaker HB User

Hi Neca, sorry to get back so late but yes I am still doing very, very well & am confident with going in to the summer with clear, smoother skin. I can't believe that the Verilux lamp that I have is working so well. Now I don't even worry if I get a small pimple because I know it will be gone the next day. In regards to the SPF when I started the Clearlight treatments they advised that I should use an SPF because sometimes lasers & light therapy can make your skin mor susceptible to darkening from the sun, but I think in my case because I was also using the products for hyperpigmentation they wanted me to use the SPF to protect my skin. So if you aren't noticing any problems then I probably wouldn't change what you are doing. I just feel like I am armed with something to fight against the acne & I also feel that taking a zinc supplement along with Essential Oils, & Bee Pollen has helped tremendously. The results for me have been amazing & I am really getting excited about it. I think we are on to something here.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neca
    Progressmaker seems like you are experiencing extremely good results from the light treatment. It's great to hear your dark marks have faded because they can be the biggest pain in the neck to deal with. Also I think we can almost definitely claim that this light treatment is excellent at destroying cysts. It seems like everyone is seeing a major reductions in this aspect of their acne.

With regards to the quote above, I have been meaning to ask you about using SPF 15 as you have said this before. Why do you think we should be using SPF 15 while undergoing light treatment? The UV light that is produced from the light box is outside the spectrum of harmful/damaging rays. In addition the UV light produced is very limited. I checked with Dermalux many times as I was very concerned and wanted to make sure it was 'safe' to use. I said to them that I already have hyper-pigmentation as a result of too much sun exposure so I don't want anymore. They said there is no chance you can suffer hyperpigmentation from the light box EXCEPT if you are using certain medicines that increase your skin's sensitivity to light e.g. accutane, harsh steroids and possibly some other antibiotics. I am not taking a medicine so hopefully I am ok. Can you confirm that this is also the advice you heard or have I missed something? Thanks

Old 02-21-2004, 12:52 PM   #81
    Ruthy
    (female)

Ruthy HB User

Update on Ruthy's son----- he does always clean his face before using the light treatment -- and it does seem to appear less red after not using for a few days. Will be anxious to what the new derm has to say Monday -- if he has any new ideas.
    My son is just excited about being out of school for a day for travel. Kids!

Old 02-21-2004, 02:05 PM   #82
    Clark

Clark HB User

I'm hoping I continue to see improvements though. Clark, what are your thoughts so far?[/QUOTE]

Well, after 3 days of use, I am optimistic. It has definitely impacted my skin, but I'm not sure exactly how. I have had a trouble spot break out with multiple small red marks (not even sure they are pimples), and this I have attributed to the dryness resulting from the possible over-heating from the lamps. But, I have not had any big-daddies. It looks as if the light is helping to quickly reduce some stubborn red spots that I have had lingering for many months, and that is encouraging. Bottom line is that it is too early to predict one way or the other, but I am optimistic enough to continue using vigorously.

The light treatment is in addition to the Cetaphil/no water method, and on top of my own modified SweetJade/Prometheus diet. I take multivitamins too, and am about to add saw palmetto and EFA supplements to the mix.

Sometimes I think this is a full-time job.

Old 02-21-2004, 11:39 PM   #83
    ejonez

ejonez HB User

Hi all-

I just got my 2X150W bulbs today, screwed them into some clip-on work lamps, and clipped the lamps above my bed so they're about 8" from my face when I'm lying down. Even at this distance, the heat is almost unbearable after 10 minutes- at that point I was rotating my face from side to side so as to give parts of my face a few seconds to cool off. I'll probably try to get a couple inches farther away next time. My face is slightly red, but I think it's just from the heat. I plan to continue this same exposure (15 minutes with both lamps pointing straight down on my face) once a day. I'll keep you posted.

My current skin condition is fairly light acne, with 3 or 4 swollen closed zits near my sideburns that take a week or two to go away. I usually also have one or two zits near my mouth. I started taking pantethine about 2 years ago to great success, and added in 200 mcg chromium polynicotinate (GTF/albion/chromemate) about a year ago, also to great success. I'm trying to eradicate my last few pimples. Also, last week, I tried dropping the pantethine and going on 2 g of EFA's a day- I haven't seen much difference... things are better, if anything. So I'll see how that goes.

The only thing I've found that essentially makes all of my acne go away is eating less than 10-15 g of carbs per day. Which isn't a way of living that makes me particularly happy.

Old 02-22-2004, 03:14 PM   #84
    Ruthy
    (female)

Ruthy HB User

Ejones --- You might want to consider at least 24" away from the bulbs. Our bulbs came with some info sheets explaining suggested distance for use. Be careful!

Old 02-22-2004, 09:32 PM   #85
    cappy21

cappy21 HB User

I am so glad that their are people like you guys that are willing to share their experiences for the benefit of others. Thanx so much. I am considering purchasing the dichroic lamps. Are all you guys still using them

Is your progress still getting better?

I know that from personal experience that the sun has really helped to clear my skin. Several years ago I asked my derm about this, and she said that the results of clearer skin from the sun is not actually a reaction to the light on the skin, but rather a reaction to the light on the top of the head. There is a gland in the scalp whic directly correlates to the amount of oil and sebum the body will produce. Exposure of the scalp to the sun helps to stabilize oil production, and regulate the way bacteria on the skin are dealt with by the body's immune system. May sound crazy, but I wonder if exposing more of these lamps to the scalp area, would produce optimum results?

May sound crazy, but at this point, I'll try anything.

Old 02-23-2004, 09:55 AM   #86
    Neca
    Veteran

Neca HB User

Damn damn damn! Looks like my skin is slowly returning to its original condition. Those blemishes have reappeared over the past few days. They are smaller than usually but very much present, red and annoying. I think my skin is slowly becoming used to the light treatment and creating some form of resistance against it, if this is possible. That is why I think my comparison with Benzoyl Peroxide seems to be materialising more and more now. I hope not!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by progessmaker
    I can't believe that the Verilux lamp that I have is working so well. Now I don't even worry if I get a small pimple because I know it will be gone the next day. In regards to the SPF when I started the Clearlight treatments they advised that I should use an SPF because sometimes lasers & light therapy can make your skin mor susceptible to darkening from the sun, but I think in my case because I was also using the products for hyperpigmentation they wanted me to use the SPF to protect my skin.I just feel like I am armed with something to fight against the acne & I also feel that taking a zinc supplement along with Essential Oils, & Bee Pollen has helped tremendously. The results for me have been amazing & I am really getting excited about it. I think we are on to something here.
    That's great to hear Progressmaker, keep up the good work I agree with regards to using the SPF. I think it is probably only necessary if you are using antibiotics that make your skin more light sensitive or creams/treatments that do the same also. So far I haven't experienced any hyper-pig so it should be fine. Zinc supplements, essential oils and bee pollen: it does definitely sound like you are fully armed What do you use the essential oils and bee pollen for? They sound very beneficial for the skin?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ruthy
    Update on Ruthy's son----- it does seem to appear less red after not using for a few days. Will be anxious to what the new derm has to say Monday -- if he has any new ideas.
    I'm glad your son is experiencing less redness now Ruthy. Sorry I didn't realise that your lamps are double the power of mine. Sitting further back and using it less often is definitely a good idea. Let us know what the derm suggests.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clark
    Well, after 3 days of use, I am optimistic. It has definitely impacted my skin, but I'm not sure exactly how. Bottom line is that it is too early to predict one way or the other, but I am optimistic enough to continue using vigorously.

The light treatment is in addition to the Cetaphil/no water method, and on top of my own modified SweetJade/Prometheus diet. I take multivitamins too, and am about to add saw palmetto and EFA supplements to the mix.

Sometimes I think this is a full-time job.
    Optimism is definitely the way forward, I just get frustrated when I see new spots/blemishes appear as I *hope* that the light treatment would prevent any of these eruptions. It seems as if the 8-week period for this light treatment operates along a learning curve, sometimes there are peaks and sometimes there are dips but we hope to end on a high peak!

Clark I too and doing the same as you, I am using the light treatment alongside the Cetaphil/no water method and a no/low carb high fruit/veg diet (which I have followed for virtually 10 years). But I'm not taking any vitamins. How beneficial are the palmetto and efa supplements as there seems quite a few people talking about them?

Oh and you couldn't be more right when you say: "Sometimes I think this is a full-time job." Seriously I find about 60-70% of my time relates to dealing with my acne, thinking about my acne and buying products for my acne. It's ridiculous.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ejonez
    The only thing I've found that essentially makes all of my acne go away is eating less than 10-15 g of carbs per day. Which isn't a way of living that makes me particularly happy.
    Hi ejonez, great to see you have 'joined the phototherapy club' (lol). Seems like you have also purchased one of the more powerful light units so I would definitely take Ruthy's advise and sit much further back than 8".

I too agree that changing to a no/low carb diet helps improve acne problems considerably. But as you say, living in today's day and age, it is so very hard to do. Almost everything is high carb. But I have managed to survive since converting 10 years ago and have never looked back since. You just adapt.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cappy21
    I am so glad that their are people like you guys that are willing to share their experiences for the benefit of others. Thanx so much. I am considering purchasing the dichroic lamps. Are all you guys still using them

Is your progress still getting better?

I know that from personal experience that the sun has really helped to clear my skin. Several years ago I asked my derm about this, and she said that the results of clearer skin from the sun is not actually a reaction to the light on the skin, but rather a reaction to the light on the top of the head. There is a gland in the scalp whic directly correlates to the amount of oil and sebum the body will produce. Exposure of the scalp to the sun helps to stabilize oil production, and regulate the way bacteria on the skin are dealt with by the body's immune system. May sound crazy, but I wonder if exposing more of these lamps to the scalp area, would produce optimum results?

May sound crazy, but at this point, I'll try anything.
    Hey cappy, well with regards to my progress, apart from what I have already outlined I think I should add that it seems like everyone who is using the dichronic (i.e. 2x the power of my Dermalux unit 70watts) is experiencing better results. But it is hard to judge as we have all been doing this form of treatment for different periods of time so I guess we will all get a better idea in 3 or 4 weeks time.

And OH my God you bring up a really interesting point regarding sunlight's effects on the skin. I too have also heard this theory/fact but have never seen it actually verified. However it does sound so plausible that I am going to try it out. Tonight I will add 5 minutes light exposure on my scalp and 5 minutes tomorrow morning alongside my usually 15mins facial for morning and evening. I am so sure that there is a gland as you say in the scalp that does regulate oil production. Thanks so much for bringing this up. I will post my results maybe 5-7 days from now.

Take care all and good luck...

Old 02-23-2004, 04:37 PM   #87
    cappy21

cappy21 HB User

Good luck Neca!!! Please give it a try and let us know...I am thinking I might order some of these lamps.....hmmmm

Old 02-23-2004, 07:12 PM   #88
    Clark

Clark HB User

Ejonez - You are definitely too close at 8". I think the instructions say to stay between 24 to 48". I started close to 24" and found that to be too hot, and have since moved back to somewhere between 36 and 48".

After 5 days, I'm not yet ready to declare success or failure, but things have not got any worse. I hate to sound the bell that "this is working!" only to have a letdown shortly thereafter. We all could really benefit from an update from the user of longest duration -- Jhart-- who is apparently MIA.

Neca - I have just started the saw palmetto and EFA supplements, and I'll keep you updated as to any developments.

Old 02-23-2004, 09:15 PM   #89
    ejonez

ejonez HB User

Day 3: So far, so good. No new zits. One that was seriously threatening on Day 1 has mostly receeded without becoming very noticeable. I'm somewhat concerned that I won't be able to fully differentiate between the phototherapy results and the several-weeks-old EFA therapy, but ah well...

I'm sticking with approximately 10" from the bulbs. The red seems to be putting out almost all the IR (which makes sense).... if I put my hand in front of it, there's barely any heat coming at me at all. I don't want to move too far back, because I want to get as much of the blue as I can.

The 2 ClearLight studies have a measurement for the amount of power incident upon the patient's face (90 mW/cm^2, I think)... if I'm ever able to get my hands on some sort of portable luminometer and/or spectrometer, I'll try to figure out exactly how these dichro-color bulbs compare.

Old 02-23-2004, 09:17 PM   #90
    ejonez

ejonez HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ejonez
    if I put my hand in front of it, there's barely any heat coming at me at all.

To clarify, I mean that if I block the red with my hand, the blue doesn't throw much heat at my face.

Closed Thread