It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Xanax was great. 1st day on klonopin and (m)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-20-2004, 06:00 AM   #1
    stellinator

stellinator HB User
    Question Xanax was great. 1st day on klonopin and (m)

I feel drugged. I'm on .05 only. Do you think I still have xanax residue left in my system as well? I don't get it, how can there be more chances of abuse with xanax then with klonopin? They're the same drug family aren't they? I'd rather be back on xanax anyday.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2004, 07:17 AM   #2
    Graciecat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User
    Re: Xanax was great. 1st day on klonopin and (m)

These medications affect everyone differently.
    I tried Klonopin and it made me feel like a zombie...some people have no problem with it though.
    Xanax is the only thing that worked for me and didn't make me feel dopped up.
    Then again some people have a problem with Xanax.
    The best advice I can give you is call your Doctor and tell him/her how you are feeling.

Old 02-20-2004, 11:27 PM   #3
    Some12
    Senior Veteran

Some12 HB User
    Smile Re: Xanax was great. 1st day on klonopin and (m)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stellinator
    I feel drugged. I'm on .05 only. Do you think I still have xanax residue left in my system as well? I don't get it, how can there be more chances of abuse with xanax then with klonopin? They're the same drug family aren't they? I'd rather be back on xanax anyday.
    Dear stellinator,
    The strengths of dosage are the same but the two benzos are different. Klonopin is the best choice if you can handle it because of maintenance and it is better for long term usage. Xanax is an anti-anxiety class mediation only, where Klonopin is a anti-anxiety class and has anti-convulsant properties as well. You may just need more time to adjust. I am on xanax and and anti-convulsant medicaton at the same time. Klonopin would have been a better choice for me if I would have been put on it years ago but it is too late to make the change now. The anti-convulsant will help if you get muscle pains, spasms, etc. during panic attacks. You should always tell your Doctor what symptoms you are having. Have a nice day

Sincerely,

Sickman

Old 02-21-2004, 11:53 AM   #4
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

any new benzo can sedate you strongly at first, until you get used to it, making you feel drunk or drugged, if so, reduce the dose for a whiile by cutting the tablet into halves or quarters

both meds are similar, K lasts longer than X

Old 02-21-2004, 02:09 PM   #5
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stellinator
    how can there be more chances of abuse with xanax then with klonopin?
    I'm afraid, stellinator, that you answered your own question with the title of your post. You said, "Xanax was great". That's why it's more likely to cause addiction - because it makes people feel better without all the side effects.

How is day 2 on the Klonopin?

Old 02-22-2004, 12:25 AM   #6
    Some12
    Senior Veteran

Some12 HB User
    Thumbs down Re: Xanax was great. 1st day on klonopin and (m)

I do believe that stellinator meant that xanax worked well to check the panic symptoms, not that it made people feel better by the statement "Xanax was great". First of all there is no mental medication that is not addicting or chemical changing that doesn't require winging off of to be safe. Addiction is not abuse. Medications that play with your seritonin levels are far more dangerous then benzos if not taken properly or winged off in the correct manner. I have taken srri's and I am on one now. I have taken xanax for years and and I take it on an around the clock dosage of 1mg for approximately every six hours along with 300mg of neurontin becuase I am disabled from an ssri reduction. I have never taken xanax during a painc attack to stop it unless it is the specific time of my daily dosage. Having to up your dosage is a farce when you understand that you can not cure panic attack with any method. Abuse starts when a person believes they have to up their dosage to try to cure or stop all of the symptoms which is impossible. Teaching people the proper understanding of the medications is more important then labeling the medication addicting when it may be the only relief for that particular person. Another thing is that xanax only makes "abusers" feel better, like a street drugs might. When I take my xanax at every dosage, I dread it and it does not make me feel at all better then before I took it. It only checks the severe symptoms of my condition that never stops. An as far as not having side effects, I can tell you that is not in the least bit true. Here is a comparision of common, un-common and rare side effects of xanax, Welbutrin and Effexor as an example. I have at least 70% of all of the xanax side effects at different times. Comparing a benzo that acturally is the only real thing that works for panic attacks with two of the ssri's that might work for some, which medications are truly worth the worry based on possible side effects alone?

SIDE EFFECTS OF XANAX (alprazolam):
    drowsiness, dizziness, tiredness, weakness, dry mouth, diarrhea, upset stomach, changes in appetite, restlessness or excitement, constipation, difficulty urinating, frequent urination, blurred vision, changes in sex drive or ability, shuffling walk, persistent fine tremor or inability to sit still, fever, difficulty breathing or swallowing, severe skin rash, yellowing of the skin or eyes, irregular heartbeat.

SIDE EFFECTS OF WELLBUTRIN (bupropion):
    drowsiness, weakness or tiredness, excitement or anxiety, dry mouth, insomnia, nightmares, change in appetite or weight, frequent urination, difficulty urinating, constipation, blurred vision, change in sex drive or ability, excessive sweating, headaches, seizures or tremors, loss of coordination, fever, severe skin rash, itching hives, chest pain, shortness of breath, muscle or joint pain, yellowing of the skin or eyes, irregular heartbeat.

SIDE EFFECTS OF EFFEXOR (venlafaxine):
    upset stomach, drowsiness, weakness or tiredness, excitement or anxiety, insomnia, nightmares, dry mouth, skin more sensitive to sunlight than usual, changes in appetite or weight, headache, constipation, difficulty urinating, frequent urination, blurred vision, changes in sex drive or ability, excessive sweating, jaw, neck, and back muscle spasms, slow or difficult speech, shuffling walk, persistent fine tremor or inability to sit still, fever, difficulty breathing or swallowing, severe skin rash, yellowing of the skin or eyes, irregular heartbeat

Sincerely,

Sickman

Closed Thread