It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Hearing Disorders Message Board

  • parched eustachian tubes...

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 03-01-2004, 06:06 AM   #61
    lib
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Posts: 850
    lib HB Userlib HB User
    Re: parched eustachian tubes...

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TMJgirl
    Lib: I had a nueromuscular dentist that I thought was God. He was kind and gentle, caring and not to mention handsome and 45 and rich. He and I one day, sat all alone in the office and he spilled beans with me about his personal life, and I promised to keep it under my hat. I thought he was the most genuine human I had ever met, for a professional to spill beans like that with me a patient meant alot. Long story short, the guy was a con man. Ripped me off 6 grand and made my jaw worse then before and didnt stand behind his promise. I wrote him a letter to ask for mymoney back and he sent me an electronic valentine card. Hows that for ignorant? So I dont trust any of these premadonnas. They think they are God. You are just a dollar sign. Dont forget that, Libby. When it comes down to it, that is it!! Anyway, I am trying to quit the smokes. Day one. Lets see how it goes.
    demi,
    i understand what you are saying, i have been to some of those as well, also some rude ones also. but you have to remember, hopkins does not allow the rip of guys, the are of the highest standards in medicine and only employ the top notch dr.s, no idiots or jerks there, thats why they are the number one hospital, and the ear nose and throat dr.s are as well. i just want you to get better and the guy around the corner does not know what the dr.s at hopkins know,and thats why i though you should give it a try, you have already lost a year of your life to this, i dont want to see you suffer another. think about it. good luck with the smoking.will post after my appt today,and let you know what this one says. lib

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 03-01-2004, 02:44 PM   #62
    lib
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Posts: 850
    lib HB Userlib HB User
    Re: parched eustachian tubes...

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lib
    demi,
    i understand what you are saying, i have been to some of those as well, also some rude ones also. but you have to remember, hopkins does not allow the rip of guys, the are of the highest standards in medicine and only employ the top notch dr.s, no idiots or jerks there, thats why they are the number one hospital, and the ear nose and throat dr.s are as well. i just want you to get better and the guy around the corner does not know what the dr.s at hopkins know,and thats why i though you should give it a try, you have already lost a year of your life to this, i dont want to see you suffer another. think about it. good luck with the smoking.will post after my appt today,and let you know what this one says. lib
    o.k. i am home, he said it is to hard to tell if it is to open or just dysfunctioning, so back to square one, he mentioned tubes, and he said they can always go in and sew the e tube up a little, dont know, i cant believe there are no answers out there for sure, guess i will go on the meds so i dont frickin lose my marbles and pray that my good dr. will help me, otherwise it is boston for me in july and i dont want to have to do all that. what do you think? lib

     
    Old 03-01-2004, 05:43 PM   #63
    TMJgirl
    Senior Member
     
    TMJgirl's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2003
    Location: Pa. USA.
    Posts: 137
    TMJgirl HB User
    Re: parched eustachian tubes...

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lib
    o.k. i am home, he said it is to hard to tell if it is to open or just dysfunctioning, so back to square one, he mentioned tubes, and he said they can always go in and sew the e tube up a little, dont know, i cant believe there are no answers out there for sure, guess i will go on the meds so i dont frickin lose my marbles and pray that my good dr. will help me, otherwise it is boston for me in july and i dont want to have to do all that. what do you think? lib
    My advise to you is do not cut anything until you have cold hard facts in your hands, not just suppositions. I was told months ago to get tubes and then another guy said no way. First I would do nasal cort, robitussin and stop smoking. I hate to say that, as a smoker and jonesing for one right now, that i think the smoke is screwing up our ears. I think you have glue ear!!! I swear to god. You dont have PET. I do not think you do. You have tomany of my symptoms. Try the antidepressant. What kind? Antianxiety or antidepressant. I am not going to take antidepressants. They suck. Hard to get off and hard to get on. I am going to try xanax just a chip at a time to calm me down from the muscle spasms in the face head and neck. I am still on the antibiotic, which isnt working, and cant mix the two. So a glass of wine is cool right now for that in the evening. Forget about July. Just try to stop smoking even for three days and see how your ear feels. I swear mine is different in 24 hours. You have to try. Have you tried it yet??? I smoke alot. I have since age 15 and have great lungs. I can smoke all I want but now I cant because of my ears, not my lungs. So I have to stop. That is that. Just try.........just one day. See what happens. I eat lollipops all day long. Suck on the stick and everything to try and get over the hump. I can go 3-4 days and then I flip out, and buy the stupid things and then I cry when I light up because i know I am hurting my ears again. Then it gets worse, the clogg gets worse and then I quit again. I know smokes are hurting my ears. I have to stop. Try libby, just try it. Forget about the stupid doctors. Listen to your body and try. We can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

     
    Old 03-01-2004, 06:14 PM   #64
    lib
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Posts: 850
    lib HB Userlib HB User
    Re: parched eustachian tubes...

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TMJgirl
    My advise to you is do not cut anything until you have cold hard facts in your hands, not just suppositions. I was told months ago to get tubes and then another guy said no way. First I would do nasal cort, robitussin and stop smoking. I hate to say that, as a smoker and jonesing for one right now, that i think the smoke is screwing up our ears. I think you have glue ear!!! I swear to god. You dont have PET. I do not think you do. You have tomany of my symptoms. Try the antidepressant. What kind? Antianxiety or antidepressant. I am not going to take antidepressants. They suck. Hard to get off and hard to get on. I am going to try xanax just a chip at a time to calm me down from the muscle spasms in the face head and neck. I am still on the antibiotic, which isnt working, and cant mix the two. So a glass of wine is cool right now for that in the evening. Forget about July. Just try to stop smoking even for three days and see how your ear feels. I swear mine is different in 24 hours. You have to try. Have you tried it yet??? I smoke alot. I have since age 15 and have great lungs. I can smoke all I want but now I cant because of my ears, not my lungs. So I have to stop. That is that. Just try.........just one day. See what happens. I eat lollipops all day long. Suck on the stick and everything to try and get over the hump. I can go 3-4 days and then I flip out, and buy the stupid things and then I cry when I light up because i know I am hurting my ears again. Then it gets worse, the clogg gets worse and then I quit again. I know smokes are hurting my ears. I have to stop. Try libby, just try it. Forget about the stupid doctors. Listen to your body and try. We can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    hi, when you say the antideprssants are hard to get on and off what do you mean? i am worried about that also. i have not tried to quit, i am to anxious to quit, maybe i will try to cut back this week and quit this weekend. i just at this point think i am doomed to this and really dont want to be on antidepressants either. why is it so hard for them to figure it out? do your ears pop randomly, just by bending over? i cant take the strange thumps and other wierd stuff, the rattling ear drumd and breathing into my ears and on and on. when you open your mouth does it sound like something is unsticking? what sensation do you get when you blow your nose? let me know these things please. hang in here! lib
    oh...the antidepressant is effexor xr...know any thing about that one?

    Last edited by lib; 03-01-2004 at 06:17 PM.

     
    Old 03-02-2004, 04:28 AM   #65
    TMJgirl
    Senior Member
     
    TMJgirl's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2003
    Location: Pa. USA.
    Posts: 137
    TMJgirl HB User
    Re: parched eustachian tubes...

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lib
    hi, when you say the antideprssants are hard to get on and off what do you mean? i am worried about that also. i have not tried to quit, i am to anxious to quit, maybe i will try to cut back this week and quit this weekend. i just at this point think i am doomed to this and really dont want to be on antidepressants either. why is it so hard for them to figure it out? do your ears pop randomly, just by bending over? i cant take the strange thumps and other wierd stuff, the rattling ear drumd and breathing into my ears and on and on. when you open your mouth does it sound like something is unsticking? what sensation do you get when you blow your nose? let me know these things please. hang in here! lib
    oh...the antidepressant is effexor xr...know any thing about that one?

    OH MAN!! Effexor??? That is some bad sh..! My friend just recently got off that stuff and she was in for a ride. A week of being sick as a dog. Get off it! How long have you been on this crap. That one is very hard to get off. It is an SSRI drug class, you cant quit this cold turkey especially if you been on it for a while. You have to wean very very slow. She ended up very ill when she stopped until the drug got out of her body and she is a 26 year old girl, young and healthy.
    Yes, when I open my mouth my ears stick. That is why I started this thread called parched eustachian tubes. It feels like they are parched, like no moisture is in them. When I blow my nose, my ears get really loud and wont pop. Like I want to pop my ears and then my voice gets really loud in my head and all the sounds vibrate inside and out. Sometimes I cant tell where sounds come from when it gets like that. It is congestion! I know it is. Fluid, I can hear it move. Like glue. I bet you have glue ear!!! Day three, smoke free. Trying my best. When I wake in the morning the clogged ears are the worst. Are your ears clogged? Do you hear your own voice real loud inside like you have a bucket on your head? Let me know........

     
    Old 03-02-2004, 04:36 AM   #66
    lib
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Posts: 850
    lib HB Userlib HB User
    Re: parched eustachian tubes...

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TMJgirl
    OH MAN!! Effexor??? That is some bad sh..! My friend just recently got off that stuff and she was in for a ride. A week of being sick as a dog. Get off it! How long have you been on this crap. That one is very hard to get off. It is an SSRI drug class, you cant quit this cold turkey especially if you been on it for a while. You have to wean very very slow. She ended up very ill when she stopped until the drug got out of her body and she is a 26 year old girl, young and healthy.
    Yes, when I open my mouth my ears stick. That is why I started this thread called parched eustachian tubes. It feels like they are parched, like no moisture is in them. When I blow my nose, my ears get really loud and wont pop. Like I want to pop my ears and then my voice gets really loud in my head and all the sounds vibrate inside and out. Sometimes I cant tell where sounds come from when it gets like that. It is congestion! I know it is. Fluid, I can hear it move. Like glue. I bet you have glue ear!!! Day three, smoke free. Trying my best. When I wake in the morning the clogged ears are the worst. Are your ears clogged? Do you hear your own voice real loud inside like you have a bucket on your head? Let me know........
    hi,
    yes for the most part but a little different, my ear drums rattle when i talk and i can feel air going up in them, how bout you? i have not started the meds, can you find out how much your friend was taking? when you swallow does it sound loud and feel like a huge bubble going into the ears?

     
    Old 03-02-2004, 04:59 AM   #67
    TMJgirl
    Senior Member
     
    TMJgirl's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2003
    Location: Pa. USA.
    Posts: 137
    TMJgirl HB User
    Re: parched eustachian tubes...

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lib
    hi,
    yes for the most part but a little different, my ear drums rattle when i talk and i can feel air going up in them, how bout you? i have not started the meds, can you find out how much your friend was taking? when you swallow does it sound loud and feel like a huge bubble going into the ears?
    Yes, I have all your symptoms. That is why I think you have glue ear! You have major congestion in there. Thick mucous that cant come out. Start taking robitussin and get a nasal steriod. Dont take effexor, what ever you do. My friend took the required dosage, I dont know, just the required amount for a few months and it was a disater. Dont take that. It is very very bad. Your asking for trouble with that stuff. It is hard core. Just get some xanax or clonopin if you feel the need. I have both, and havent taken any, cause I hate medicine so much. But I think I need to calm down, have to wait for the euthromycin to leave my body first. By the weekend. Do you get dizzy? Are your ears clogged? Do you hear your own voice loud?

     
    Old 03-02-2004, 06:18 PM   #68
    lib
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Posts: 850
    lib HB Userlib HB User
    Re: parched eustachian tubes...

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TMJgirl
    Yes, I have all your symptoms. That is why I think you have glue ear! You have major congestion in there. Thick mucous that cant come out. Start taking robitussin and get a nasal steriod. Dont take effexor, what ever you do. My friend took the required dosage, I dont know, just the required amount for a few months and it was a disater. Dont take that. It is very very bad. Your asking for trouble with that stuff. It is hard core. Just get some xanax or clonopin if you feel the need. I have both, and havent taken any, cause I hate medicine so much. But I think I need to calm down, have to wait for the euthromycin to leave my body first. By the weekend. Do you get dizzy? Are your ears clogged? Do you hear your own voice loud?
    hi,
    have not really been that dizzy, i was in the fall, my ears feel like pressure, but empty, my voice bothers my ears, and makes the ear drums rattle, and thump. i cant take much more, do you think this could be pet, now that you read the other posts? when you breath in through your nose can you feel your ear drums move? lib

     
    Old 03-03-2004, 04:55 AM   #69
    TMJgirl
    Senior Member
     
    TMJgirl's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2003
    Location: Pa. USA.
    Posts: 137
    TMJgirl HB User
    Re: parched eustachian tubes...

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lib
    hi,
    have not really been that dizzy, i was in the fall, my ears feel like pressure, but empty, my voice bothers my ears, and makes the ear drums rattle, and thump. i cant take much more, do you think this could be pet, now that you read the other posts? when you breath in through your nose can you feel your ear drums move? lib

    I dont think I have the ear drums moving when I breathe in from my nose. I get a feeling of extreme pressure and feels all dry and glue like in th e tubes. My voice is always loud in my head. Sometimes when I take Robitussin it eliviates it. I believe my problem lyes with fluid build up and over time, the fluid has become very thick and cannot move. I also believe that my e tubes have been traumatized and they swell just for nothing and the cycle begins again the next day. think they close off, and then the vacume of air gets stuck in there, (hence the loud voice) and then the fluid seeps out of the etube lining. That is what i have read, and that is what I think I have. You could very well have that too. I think they would have seen PET on you. Did they scope you?

     
    Old 03-03-2004, 05:26 AM   #70
    lib
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Posts: 850
    lib HB Userlib HB User
    Re: parched eustachian tubes...

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TMJgirl
    I dont think I have the ear drums moving when I breathe in from my nose. I get a feeling of extreme pressure and feels all dry and glue like in th e tubes. My voice is always loud in my head. Sometimes when I take Robitussin it eliviates it. I believe my problem lyes with fluid build up and over time, the fluid has become very thick and cannot move. I also believe that my e tubes have been traumatized and they swell just for nothing and the cycle begins again the next day. think they close off, and then the vacume of air gets stuck in there, (hence the loud voice) and then the fluid seeps out of the etube lining. That is what i have read, and that is what I think I have. You could very well have that too. I think they would have seen PET on you. Did they scope you?
    i have been scoped 3 times, nothing that they can see, however, it is very difficult to diagnose, they have to do mor than the scope. i think i have pet, i am almost certain, i am sick of it all and cant take much more.i will do anything to fix this, so desperate and sick of crying. i can breath air into my ears, that worries me. lib

     
    Old 03-03-2004, 09:18 AM   #71
    TMJgirl
    Senior Member
     
    TMJgirl's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2003
    Location: Pa. USA.
    Posts: 137
    TMJgirl HB User
    Re: parched eustachian tubes...

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lib
    i have been scoped 3 times, nothing that they can see, however, it is very difficult to diagnose, they have to do mor than the scope. i think i have pet, i am almost certain, i am sick of it all and cant take much more.i will do anything to fix this, so desperate and sick of crying. i can breath air into my ears, that worries me. lib

    I am crying too, Lib. What can we do??? I cant do this every day anymore either. I have had 2 scopes also. Everyone tells me I look good, so therefore they treat me that way. I am not good. I am full of anxiety and nerves. My ears are always clogged up and cant stand hearing my voice like a microphone in my head. I am loosing my mind. It makes me shake and tremble and my husband yells at me and my kids ignore me because it is going on so long. I feel that permenant damage has been done to my tubes because this is there so long. What can we do, Lib???

     
    Old 03-03-2004, 09:34 AM   #72
    lib
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Posts: 850
    lib HB Userlib HB User
    Re: parched eustachian tubes...

    honestly, you have to go to johns hopkins and make an appointment for boston, this is the only way you will find answers, and hopefully relief. lib

    Last edited by moderator2; 03-03-2004 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Please carefully read, know and follow the Healthboards.com Policies and Guidelines. Click on FAQ at the top left of this page. Thank you!

     
    Old 03-03-2004, 09:51 AM   #73
    TMJgirl
    Senior Member
     
    TMJgirl's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2003
    Location: Pa. USA.
    Posts: 137
    TMJgirl HB User
    Re: parched eustachian tubes...

    I dont know. I sent an email to the customer service here, and no one contacted me.

    Last edited by moderator2; 03-03-2004 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Please carefully read, know and follow the Healthboards.com Policies and Guidelines. Click on FAQ at the top left of this page. Thank you!

     
    Old 03-05-2004, 05:28 PM   #74
    PinkBananaz
    Member
     
    PinkBananaz's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Posts: 68
    PinkBananaz HB User
    Re: parched eustachian tubes...

    I see you've both been banned...but I hope your still reading this anyway.
    Have they never once considered allergies?????
    That surprises me!
    I have pretty severe Eustachian Tube Dysfunction brought about by allergies. Meaning my entire ET track will be swollen..first my sinuses, get sinus headaches, runny nose, sneezing, then my ears, pressure & pain, can't pop it out, muffled hearing, then when its really bad..my throat gets sore and swollen, sometimes 2 the point where I can't eat. In the past few years i've had dangerous throat infections..ones that have left me dehydrated b/c I couldn't eat or drink my throat was swollen 2 begin with, then it swelled an outrageous amount with the infection. I have had 2 switch medications several times b/c my throat is constantly swollen & I can't take most pills unless they are advil size or smaller. I was on Allegra in the beginning 4 all this, but it got 2 big 2 be swallowed..now I am on Clarinex. In the beginning I had sinus infections all the time, then I started feeling like I had ear infections..it was actually ETD from the imbalance of pressure between my sinuses and ears. I've been on Flonase, Clarinex, Singulair daily which helps a ton 2 keep me better, then Sudafed 4 flare ups. If I'm having a severe allergy flare up(generally i'll have hives/rashes & asthma problems also) then prednisone usually helps. I'm constantly congested & my ears hurt almost everyday. I do get dizzy when I get sinus infections or a cold you know why dizziness happens..when the sinuses under your eyes are full, they cause dizziness. So i've heard. I have a few ideas of what I know i'm allergic 2 by trial & error & observation(dust, pollen, mold, trees/grass, various skin allergies) but I am not able 2 be allergy tested(2 bad of skin allergies) which makes shots out of the question also. I've noticed so far the WORST feeling is when you feel the mucus dripping down your ET..from your ear past your nose 2 your throat..its just like you wanna reach in somehow and scratch it! ahhhh sorry 2 be gross but i'm sure you have the same thing. When i'm not doing well also I notice that I wake up with uneven pressure on my ears depending on what side I sleep on. Flonase & Clarinex are VITAL 2 maintain at least me being able 2 get up in the morning and feel somewhat ok at least. So they do help. But during some bad allergy attacks or sickness nothing helps. I thinky ou both should consult an allergist and have allergy testing done..or have an IgE count 2 see if allergies is the culprit. That could be why they aren't seein anything. Also it could very well stil lbe sinusitis..it coudl be that it's deep in the sinuses, and very backed up..IV antibiotics & sinuneb coudl help. Just some thoughts. Hope I helped you guys..!

     
    Old 03-05-2004, 06:20 PM   #75
    lib
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Posts: 850
    lib HB Userlib HB User
    Re: parched eustachian tubes...

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PinkBananaz
    I see you've both been banned...but I hope your still reading this anyway.
    Have they never once considered allergies?????
    That surprises me!
    I have pretty severe Eustachian Tube Dysfunction brought about by allergies. Meaning my entire ET track will be swollen..first my sinuses, get sinus headaches, runny nose, sneezing, then my ears, pressure & pain, can't pop it out, muffled hearing, then when its really bad..my throat gets sore and swollen, sometimes 2 the point where I can't eat. In the past few years i've had dangerous throat infections..ones that have left me dehydrated b/c I couldn't eat or drink my throat was swollen 2 begin with, then it swelled an outrageous amount with the infection. I have had 2 switch medications several times b/c my throat is constantly swollen & I can't take most pills unless they are advil size or smaller. I was on Allegra in the beginning 4 all this, but it got 2 big 2 be swallowed..now I am on Clarinex. In the beginning I had sinus infections all the time, then I started feeling like I had ear infections..it was actually ETD from the imbalance of pressure between my sinuses and ears. I've been on Flonase, Clarinex, Singulair daily which helps a ton 2 keep me better, then Sudafed 4 flare ups. If I'm having a severe allergy flare up(generally i'll have hives/rashes & asthma problems also) then prednisone usually helps. I'm constantly congested & my ears hurt almost everyday. I do get dizzy when I get sinus infections or a cold you know why dizziness happens..when the sinuses under your eyes are full, they cause dizziness. So i've heard. I have a few ideas of what I know i'm allergic 2 by trial & error & observation(dust, pollen, mold, trees/grass, various skin allergies) but I am not able 2 be allergy tested(2 bad of skin allergies) which makes shots out of the question also. I've noticed so far the WORST feeling is when you feel the mucus dripping down your ET..from your ear past your nose 2 your throat..its just like you wanna reach in somehow and scratch it! ahhhh sorry 2 be gross but i'm sure you have the same thing. When i'm not doing well also I notice that I wake up with uneven pressure on my ears depending on what side I sleep on. Flonase & Clarinex are VITAL 2 maintain at least me being able 2 get up in the morning and feel somewhat ok at least. So they do help. But during some bad allergy attacks or sickness nothing helps. I thinky ou both should consult an allergist and have allergy testing done..or have an IgE count 2 see if allergies is the culprit. That could be why they aren't seein anything. Also it could very well stil lbe sinusitis..it coudl be that it's deep in the sinuses, and very backed up..IV antibiotics & sinuneb coudl help. Just some thoughts. Hope I helped you guys..!
    hi, been tested for allergies, only dust and dustmites. i am on nasonex and claratin and it has not helped all this ear stuff. do you get reverberation in your ears? how bout rattling ear drums when talking, popping crackling and thumping? i dont know if it is edt or pet, i can breath air into my ears can you? thanks for all your info, may try the clarinex ! lib

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    parched ears or blocked eustachian tubes marjs_life Hearing Disorders 0 07-15-2004 02:30 AM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:16 AM.





    © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!