It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Sleep problems & Megloblastic anemia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-13-2004, 10:23 PM   #1
    mipps

mipps HB User
    Sleep problems & Megloblastic anemia

I have meglobastic red blood cells (MCV 116) due to B12 deficiency (138 {range 200-1000). I am about to start a course of B12 injections. I currently take tyroxine for hashimotos and Oestrogen as I am not producing any. I am 40.

My night times are a nightmare. I wake every two hours with pins/needles throughout my body, my feet feel as if they belong to an elephant, my ankles hurt, my whole body irritates me. I find it hard to breath. I sometimes wake with flashing black/white lines (like TV off station) in my head on awakening, altough I think my eyes are closed. Sometimes pain in the centre of my chest. But always with an overwhelming sense of irritability & smothering sensation. The worst part is the crazy thoughts I get eg desire to jump out of a window to smash off my feet or slice open my chest to allow some air in and cool off my organs. The feelings I know are illogical. I usually get up and take a shower or have a cold drink just to ground my racing thoughts and stop the irritability. It does but the cycle of sleep for 2 hours, awake for 1, happens 2-3 times a night for 4-5 nights in a row, then nothing for a couple of weeks. This has been going on for nearly 3 months and is getting very scary.

I would like to hear if anyone else suffers from similar symptoms and if this is because of the anemia.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2004, 05:38 AM   #2
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
    Re: Sleep problems & Megloblastic anemia

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mipps
    I have meglobastic red blood cells (MCV 116) due to B12 deficiency (138 {range 200-1000). I am about to start a course of B12 injections. I currently take tyroxine for hashimotos and Oestrogen as I am not producing any. I am 40.

My night times are a nightmare. I wake every two hours with pins/needles throughout my body, my feet feel as if they belong to an elephant, my ankles hurt, my whole body irritates me. I find it hard to breath. I sometimes wake with flashing black/white lines (like TV off station) in my head on awakening, altough I think my eyes are closed. Sometimes pain in the centre of my chest. But always with an overwhelming sense of irritability & smothering sensation. The worst part is the crazy thoughts I get eg desire to jump out of a window to smash off my feet or slice open my chest to allow some air in and cool off my organs. The feelings I know are illogical. I usually get up and take a shower or have a cold drink just to ground my racing thoughts and stop the irritability. It does but the cycle of sleep for 2 hours, awake for 1, happens 2-3 times a night for 4-5 nights in a row, then nothing for a couple of weeks. This has been going on for nearly 3 months and is getting very scary.

I would like to hear if anyone else suffers from similar symptoms and if this is because of the anemia.
    Yes, sleep problems and racing thoughts are definitely a part of the anemia. But, until the B-12 levels are adjusted you might need to see a psychiatrist for medications to help with the self destructive thoughts. This is a chemical imbalance caused by the anemia and has to be addressed immediately because it will take about a year of treatment with the B-12 to restore everything. When the levels get out of the normal range for a long time everything in the body adapts and it takes a while for it to go back to normal. Please see a psychiatrist or a medical doctor because eventually the lack of rest will wear down your ability to determine reality from fiction.

Old 03-16-2004, 04:42 AM   #3
    mipps

mipps HB User
    Talking Re: Sleep problems & Megloblastic anemia

Hi Marimac

Thank you for your reply. I had my first B12 yesterday and slept all night! Today I yawned all day at work and can't wait to climb into bed. My whole body is hurting at the moment.

I will keep your advise in mind, but thankfully at the moment, I can function normally during the day. If I get to the point where things are getting that I can't pull myself out of the nightnight horrors, I will definately seek further help. At least I get two good weeks!!

It's so good to share thoughts and feelings with someone who understands how it feels.

Closed Thread