It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Home Phototherapy for Mild/Moderate Acne

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-10-2004, 09:57 AM   #151
    senoflys
    (male)

senoflys HB User
    Re: Home Phototherapy for Mild/Moderate Acne

I've also just started using the dichro bulbs and it has only been 3 days so too soon to tell anything. I was wondering however if any red or blue lights will work or does it have to be these special dichro bulbs?a

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2004, 11:23 AM   #152
    ejonez

ejonez HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clark
    Ejonez - I know you sit closer than I do at about 10", but how do you position the bulbs?
    I have them about 6" apart, both pointing at my face, so they're angled slightly inward... I sit for maybe 8 or 9 minutes at 10" away, so they're both hitting my face, though the blue might be a little stronger on the left side and the red stronger on the right. For the remainder of the time, I get my face much closer, about 6" or less, and I continuously move it around, trying to slowly "scan" the blue and red lights across all of my face, especially the problem areas.

Quote:
    Why did you decide to drop the pantethine?
    It wasn't really intentional at first, but I currently live in a dorm and drive home to my parents' place to do laundry about once a week. I ran out of pantethine here, but knew I had a couple more bottles at home, so I didn't buy any more. When I went home, I forgot to pick up the bottles... so I was stuck without it for a few days. When 3-4 days passed and I hadn't taken any and I didn't notice any bad effects, I figure I'd try cutting it out all together.

Old 03-10-2004, 11:24 AM   #153
    ejonez

ejonez HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by senoflys
    I've also just started using the dichro bulbs and it has only been 3 days so too soon to tell anything. I was wondering however if any red or blue lights will work or does it have to be these special dichro bulbs?a
    The advantage of these bulbs is that they're rather high-powered, but will screw into a regular socket. Also, they're supposedly designed in a way which will give strong peaks at the appropriate frequencies, but block out all UV.

Old 03-10-2004, 11:51 AM   #154
    senoflys
    (male)

senoflys HB User

thanks for the help ejonez

Old 03-11-2004, 04:43 AM   #155
    Clark

Clark HB User

Yep. Thanks ejonez.

Old 03-13-2004, 09:16 AM   #156
    progessmaker
    (female)

progessmaker HB User

Hi everyone. Just wanted to check in at let everyone know that I am still doing very well with the Verilux system. I have even been able to cut down on my usage time with it & I have had very few new pimples. I can't believe that this is working so well for me. I would say that from what I have been reading that I think it is easier to get the proper exposure that you need with Verilux/Dermalux than with the dichro bulbs which seems like a little bit of trial & error can be involved. The Verilux has a protective screen over the bulbs so that it can filter the amount of heat that you experience from the system. It is just amazing to look at a small bumb that in the past would have formed & then take weeks to get rid of just disappear the next day. I am literally having new pimples if I get any disappear over night, cystic ones included. That is amazing & from my own experience of both this & Clear Light I would definitely give the Verilux manufacturers two thumbs up.

Old 03-15-2004, 05:44 AM   #157
    Clark

Clark HB User

Ejonez - Have you suffered any side effects from the chromium supplementation? The first day I added 2x200 mcg I felt a bit dazed shortly after the second pill. It lasted for a few hours then subsided.

Is Jhart out there? Jhart, is all still going well?

Old 03-15-2004, 08:26 AM   #158
    ErimusValidus
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ErimusValidus HB User

JHart reads you, Clark

I am here and I am still in awe of the complete turnaround in the condition of my facial skin. I am reluctant to post here for two reasons. Firstly, I don't want to tempt fate and jinx my progress [I've come up with another adage to add to John's first law "Good skin breeds good skin". It is "You are only ever one breakout from having acne".] Secondly, it makes me feel bad to recant my delight and amazement at my progress when there are others here who seem less fortunate.

But as you ask I shall give you a progress report. About a week and a half ago I was very stupid and got tempted to pick at a few blackheads (I mentioned before how I barely used to notice them but that they became more noticable in light of the cystic acne virtually disappearing) and I suffered the consequences for a couple of days afterwards [no matter what treatment one uses, careless cross-infection is a tough force to reckon with]. Disgusted at my lack of patience and carelessness I made a real effort to leave my face well alone, including not using an exfoliator any more than once a week.

I noticed that the Dermalux helped my picked-at spots heal very quickly and neatly. I couldn't quite believe that I'd gotten away with prodding and poking my skin so stupidly. But basically I did. The blackheads I went to task on were bugging me and now they're gone and there aren't any more coming to replace them. It's totally inconceivable to me that all I needed was red and blue light to irridicate all forms of acne but it really is working. I'm wary that people will be reading and thinking that I probably didn't have bad acne to begin with.

But I must stress that I did. And in the cold light of day I have the ice-pci scars and premature wrinkling (mostly from all that frowning I did) to prove it. But, remarkably, even the scars and the wrinkles are diminishing alarmingly quickly. I have quite a well-defined wrinkle across my forehead (which I notice none of my clear-skinned friends don't have). But even that wrinkle is fading. I guess the cell regrowth is forming new collagen (some believe it's impossible for collagen to regrow, though) because something is making my forehead more supple and smoother.

My pores are still getting more refined and the overall texture of my skin is greatly improving. What has impressed me the most in recent weeks is the amelioration in my facial complexion. I was worried that I would be forever condemned to a blotchy appearance but my naturally milky skin tone is gradually returning. To put this into context, I went for a haircut at the weekend and decided to brave looking into the mirror. I'm usually averse to doing so because the lighting makes me look terrible. But I was surprised to see how much I had improved in just a month.

So what you're hearing guys is basically more of the same from happy old me. I'm glad to hear of other success stories on this thread and still continue to cross my fingers for you all. If anyone is still unconfident that light therapy is not for them then I would advise them to hang in there at least until the eight week mark if not before. I might be extremely fortunate to be as sharply responsive to the treatment as I have been, but that's not to say that others cannot experience similar results after a longer period of usage. Good luck everyone

Old 03-15-2004, 07:56 PM   #159
    Clark

Clark HB User

Awesome, Jhart, just awesome. Go out and enjoy. Thanks for the update.

Old 03-15-2004, 08:00 PM   #160
    ejonez

ejonez HB User

Quote:
    Ejonez - Have you suffered any side effects from the chromium supplementation? The first day I added 2x200 mcg I felt a bit dazed shortly after the second pill. It lasted for a few hours then subsided.
    I initially felt a little dizzy on the chromium, and occasionally had a headache... though I haven't experienced this for quite a while. You may well want to start off with just 1 dose per day.

Old 03-16-2004, 04:25 AM   #161
    Clark

Clark HB User

Good advice. That's what I did -- after the first day I immediately cut the dose to 1x200 mcg.

Old 03-18-2004, 03:09 PM   #162
    senoflys
    (male)

senoflys HB User

I have a quick question I was hoping someone could answer. Is there a point when the light won't work anymore in one session...I mean is there a certain time in one sitting that after that point you are just wasting time. I fell asleep the other day with the blue light on for an hour and I wanted to know if that was more effective than 2 15 minute sessions.

Old 03-18-2004, 04:03 PM   #163
    ErimusValidus
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ErimusValidus HB User

I believe that 15 minutes is about right in one sitting.

Old 03-20-2004, 06:43 AM   #164
    Clark

Clark HB User

Senoflys - I think most people stick with the 15 minutes because that is the time period that was used in Dr. Chu's study and what is recommended with the Dermalux unit.

Old 03-24-2004, 07:16 PM   #165
    Neca
    Veteran

Neca HB User

DAY 65 (9 Weeks+)

Well I have just completed the official recommendation period for trialling the Red/Blue light box treatment. Unfortunately I cannot preach good news or good results. I have to say I am definitely back to where I started with my acne. My large blemishes have returned, my whiteheads/blackheads are very much present and my skin's complexion looks terrible; it's all patchy, with some parts lighter than the others

It is strange that so many treatments start off so positively and just peter off. I, frequently, experience good results with new treatments but within a few days to a week they start to be less effective.

I guess the light treatment was just too much to hope for and should not have got so excited about it. The only positive thing I can take from trialling this treatment is the fact that it does seem to be working for other people and hopefully will continue to work for as long as possible.

I am very much interested in how the light treatment is going for all you guys as you are now entering the mid-point phase. I am praying that all is well for you and your skin is looking great!

Maybe one day, doctors will be able to synthetically reproduce the light from the sun that will contain non-cancerous UV-light. Oh well there is always hope...keep posting your updates...good luck all and take care...

Closed Thread