It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Accutane Report - Month and a half

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-24-2004, 07:41 AM   #1
    Skeet

Skeet HB User
    Accutane Report - Month and a half

At this point, I am pleased with the results so far, especially since I'm relatively early in my treatment. I really can't believe some of the changes. The entire left side of my face and my forehead are entirely clear. The red marks from before are about 75%+ clearer. My right side and chin are about 70% clear. Although there are still some bumps under my skin, which will eventually come up and form pimples.

I've gotten several compliments (from family) on my skin. And one of the greatest things is that stare people give you when your walking past them. The type of stare you do when you see a good looking girl and you keep your eyes secretly locked on her until they look your way then you quickly look away.... well, I get that now! lol. Makes my day every time

Side effects: I got a new derm who switched me from generic accutane (Amnesteem) 20mg twice a day, to real Accutane 40mg once a day. This switch over somehow actually lessened the bone aches I get... but I do still get them.

Thanks to the non-water Cetaphil cleaning regimine, my face isn't superdry. Once in a while I get flakes on my nose, chin, or near my eyebrows - but thats not too much of a problem. Aquaphor is a Godsend for my lips, while they are chapped when I dont put any on, they have never gotten to the point of bleeding or anything.

One thing I have noticed that has gotten worse are the nosebleeds. This could be because I cut back on the Vaseline a little during spring break. But now its hard to put Vaseline in my nose cause it triggers a nose bleed. VERY ANNOYING.

One really disgusting thing that I have noticed is that once in a while shed skin starts to accumulate and turn light green, it kinda looks like a scab. It scared the **** out of me when I first saw it cause I thought I was having some allergic reaction, but then I noticed I can peel it off. Since then it hasnt become a problem.

Another thing is how thin my skin is. Just scratching an itch can cut my skin. At one point the pores in the back of my hand were getting raw or something cause I wasnt putting lotion on there. Resting my arms on a table for too long will also damage my skin, the first time I found this out I left my inner arms on the table for a while cause I was leaning on it. When I went to pull them off it looked like I had broken out in a rash. Cetaphil lotion and Vaseline have fixed both problems.

As for mood changes, I'm really astounded by the fact that my mood and self-esteem have actually gotten better. I'm feeling great and optomistic. I don't even feel excessively tired like some said I would, in fact I felt more tired last semester when I didnt even do anything but sit in my room. Now I'm a lot more active throughout my day and still have the energy to goto the gym everyday, although I am getting a good 7-8 hours of sleep everyday - as opposed to the 4-5 hours last semester.

How are the people that started taking accutane with me doing?

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

Last edited by Skeet; 03-24-2004 at 07:48 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2004, 07:45 AM   #2
    JustBlaze

JustBlaze HB User
    Re: Accutane Report - Month and a half

Thats good news bro. I hope I get the same results. I am on Day 8, and things are looking fairly good so far. Congrats! Now go get yourself one of those girls who has been grillin you as you walk by. Play on playa!

Old 03-24-2004, 07:55 AM   #3
    whoanelly

whoanelly HB User

Light green? That is totally bizarre. It great he changed you to lessen those terrible effects. I am on day 6. No changes, except for some slight scabbing of zit boo boos.

Old 03-24-2004, 11:04 AM   #4
    Genn
    (female)

Genn HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skeet
    At this point, I am pleased with the results so far, especially since I'm relatively early in my treatment. I really can't believe some of the changes. The entire left side of my face and my forehead are entirely clear. The red marks from before are about 75%+ clearer. My right side and chin are about 70% clear. Although there are still some bumps under my skin, which will eventually come up and form pimples.

I've gotten several compliments (from family) on my skin. And one of the greatest things is that stare people give you when your walking past them. The type of stare you do when you see a good looking girl and you keep your eyes secretly locked on her until they look your way then you quickly look away.... well, I get that now! lol. Makes my day every time

Side effects: I got a new derm who switched me from generic accutane (Amnesteem) 20mg twice a day, to real Accutane 40mg once a day. This switch over somehow actually lessened the bone aches I get... but I do still get them.

Thanks to the non-water Cetaphil cleaning regimine, my face isn't superdry. Once in a while I get flakes on my nose, chin, or near my eyebrows - but thats not too much of a problem. Aquaphor is a Godsend for my lips, while they are chapped when I dont put any on, they have never gotten to the point of bleeding or anything.

One thing I have noticed that has gotten worse are the nosebleeds. This could be because I cut back on the Vaseline a little during spring break. But now its hard to put Vaseline in my nose cause it triggers a nose bleed. VERY ANNOYING.

One really disgusting thing that I have noticed is that once in a while shed skin starts to accumulate and turn light green, it kinda looks like a scab. It scared the **** out of me when I first saw it cause I thought I was having some allergic reaction, but then I noticed I can peel it off. Since then it hasnt become a problem.

Another thing is how thin my skin is. Just scratching an itch can cut my skin. At one point the pores in the back of my hand were getting raw or something cause I wasnt putting lotion on there. Resting my arms on a table for too long will also damage my skin, the first time I found this out I left my inner arms on the table for a while cause I was leaning on it. When I went to pull them off it looked like I had broken out in a rash. Cetaphil lotion and Vaseline have fixed both problems.

As for mood changes, I'm really astounded by the fact that my mood and self-esteem have actually gotten better. I'm feeling great and optomistic. I don't even feel excessively tired like some said I would, in fact I felt more tired last semester when I didnt even do anything but sit in my room. Now I'm a lot more active throughout my day and still have the energy to goto the gym everyday, although I am getting a good 7-8 hours of sleep everyday - as opposed to the 4-5 hours last semester.

How are the people that started taking accutane with me doing?

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.
    I am very happy to hear it is working so well for you!

I am on day 36 myself, so we pretty close on the treatment timeline! I too am amazed at how well it it is working, and how fast! My skin looks better now than it has in years! Yesterday, I saw a friend that I hadn't seen in about a month. As soon as she saw me she said "Wow!!! Your Face!!! Your skin looks great!!!" That really made my day!

The only side effects I have are dry lips and nose, but it is nothing that a little vaseline can't take care of! My bloodtests so far have been fine, no changes from the pre-accutane baseline tests! I told my Derm that if I couldn't see that it is working so well, I would think I was taking a placebo! After all of the negative stories we all hear, I was prepared to have problems, but so far, so good!

She raised my dosage at the start of month 2 (last week) from 40 mg per day to alternating 40 mg once per day and 40 mg twice per day - every other day. I had a little bit of an initial breakout with the increased dosage, but it has already cleared up! I have been taking weekly pictures to document my progress, and the change from week one to now is outstanding!

Well, good luck with the rest of your treatment! We will have to keep eachother updated!

Old 03-24-2004, 11:56 AM   #5
    usedtobewantsittoend
    (male)

usedtobewantsittoend HB User

it's great that it's working so quickly for you. i hope the same goes for me when i start. keep giving updates, gl.

Old 03-24-2004, 12:48 PM   #6
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

I'm so glad to hear how well accutane has been working for you! I'm only on day 5 but so far so good, haha. I'm taking 40mg a day and I'm starting to get chapped lips but that's easily dealt with. Keep us updated on your progress!

Old 03-24-2004, 01:21 PM   #7
    j54
    (female)

j54 HB User

I'm glad it's working so well for you - as for me, today is the last day of month 2 and I feel like my face is still getting worse. My skin was not very bad, and now I believe that it was the wrong prescription for me and that my derm did not take enough time to listen to my case before she dished out the accutane to me. A beautician said that she could not believe I had been given it, and that it probably won't work for the problems that I have (little bumps around chin/mouth area, seemingly stress related) so now I don't know whether to keep going or try something else. I did not have cystic acne before, but now get about one a week. I am at a loss as to what to do. I still have another month of the prescription before I need to return to the derm, so was thinking of holding out til then, but I am losing hope.

Old 03-24-2004, 03:20 PM   #8
    spee

spee HB User

Hey everybody-I'm glad to hear all the good responses so far. I'm a little over 2 months into the treatment so far and my skin is looking so much better. I had a pretty bad breakout up until about 2 weeks ago, so now i'm keeping my fingers crossed that it only gets better from here. I have been on 40Mg once a day and 40Mg twice a day alternating since i started. I had dry skin to start with and really dry lips, which i still have, but my skin doesnt get nearly as dryed out as it used to. I just have one question. Did anybody elses doctor tell them it was ok to drink while on accutane just as long as you didnt go overboard with it? Cuz mine did and i'm a college student who just turned 21 a month ago and i go to the bars and drink probably 2-3 times a week. I never thought this was a problem and my blood tests are good but then i started reading some other posts about how drinking and taking accutane is the dumbest thing you could do. I just wonder why my doc said it would be alright though. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 03-24-2004, 06:01 PM   #9
    usedtobewantsittoend
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spee
    I just have one question. Did anybody elses doctor tell them it was ok to drink while on accutane just as long as you didnt go overboard with it? Cuz mine did and i'm a college student who just turned 21 a month ago and i go to the bars and drink probably 2-3 times a week. I never thought this was a problem and my blood tests are good but then i started reading some other posts about how drinking and taking accutane is the dumbest thing you could do. I just wonder why my doc said it would be alright though. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    see this is what i've been talking about. spee im starting accutane as soon as i pass my blood test. i'm a freshman in college and i drink 2-3 times a week also. my docotr told me i can have "a beer every now and then" which is a lot less than what your doctor is letting you have. i'm as confused as you, and the people on here basically agree that drinking at all while on accutane is a bad decision. i'm thinking about calling my doctor and asking him about this again. let me know if you find out anything.

Old 03-26-2004, 02:40 PM   #10
    Skeet

Skeet HB User

Hey,
    for everyone starting Accutane. My advice is to moisturize like theres no tomorrow. Most importantly, do it before drying occurs... it allows you to get a leg up and stay ahead of the drying effects.

AVOID WATER on your face. It will make your face peel so much that its disgusting.

Any other questions feel free to ask!

As for alcohol, Im a freshman in college too and i was a pretty big drinker before. But I decided to forgo alcohol totally when I started accutane, even to the point that I put off rushing this spring until next year cause i didnt want to be put in a position where im expected to drink even more. Plus, seeing your friend completely trashed while your sober is hilarious. And helping everyone put the pieces together the next day is pretty funny too, since your the only one who remembers, haha.

Even though ive stopped alcohol completely, from what I hear its allright to drink minimal amounts once in a while. If you think about it its obviously stupid to drink a lot since alcohol definetly taxes your liver, which is already under a lot of strain with accutane.

So basically the decision is up to you, it won't kill you... oh wait, it could.

Last edited by Skeet; 03-26-2004 at 02:42 PM.

Old 03-26-2004, 04:25 PM   #11
    usedtobewantsittoend
    (male)

what do u know about smoking weed while on accutane? i know there may be some psychological effects since both can make you depressed...are there any physical effects? would it show up in my blood tests?

Closed Thread