It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Iron vs. B12 anemia?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-26-2004, 05:23 PM   #16
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User
    Question Re: Iron vs. B12 anemia?

Is there a difference between being iron deficient and anemic?Can iron deficiency lead to anemia?Thanks for any info.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2004, 06:18 PM   #17
    mssmith068

mssmith068 HB User
    Question Re: Iron vs. B12 anemia?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NancyH
    Pernicious anemia in latin means "violent death" as it once was before the invention of the B12 injectable. My grandmother died of PA as it was before the injection was introduced. I was diagnosed 7 or so years ago at level 96 but already had neurological problems some of which still exist. My level falls fast so the neurologist is always upping the frequency and amount. I give my own injections or my hubby does. Having no intrinsic factor is a lifetime of injections until someone can produce a pill that will bypass the stomach. If you are just low in b12 taking supplements will help alot.
    My own recent Diagnosis as of Thursday was pernicious anemia. I have the tingle in my left arm numbness all the way down to my finger tips. I just took my first shot on Thursday and for the next 4 weeks every Thurs then injecting them myself for the rest of my life. If you dont mind can I ask you some questions?
    How long did the injection take before you notice a difference?
    Do you eat dairy products or meat? ME I havnt had a taste for it. vegan diet not by choice
    Did you get numbness anywhere else or tingle?
    What other type of supplements do you take? ME viatmin e, calcium and vitamin c
    Weight loss or Gain? ME I've lost quite a bit, wandering if the shot will cause me to lose more..

I'm consider a tough girl but I'm scared like a baby right now. I almost died after they discovered I was walking around with my HGB at 4.2 I got my 3 liters of blood. Still no answers to where it went. I go back next week..any feedback would help I never post on these things just reaching out.

thanks

Old 03-26-2004, 06:31 PM   #18
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
    Re: Iron vs. B12 anemia?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by suzyshop1
    Is there a difference between being iron deficient and anemic?Can iron deficiency lead to anemia?Thanks for any info.
    The only difference between iron deficiency anemia and any other anemia is what size the red blood cells are and whether there are too many insufficiently functioning red blood cells or whether there are just too few that are basically well formed but not enough off to do the job. The differences merely suggest the type of treatment but the symptoms are basically the same with fatigue, easily infected, and of course increasing neuropathy and neurological problems.
    The major differences are just levels of severity and how the body responds to treatment.

The Following User Says Thank You to Marimac For This Useful Post:
    texas seed (02-13-2012)
    Closed Thread