It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board

• Questions about Pegacy's injections ?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-28-2004, 09:14 AM   #1
    smileylady
    (female)

smileylady HB User
    Questions about Pegacy's injections ?

Hello to everyone!
    Can anyone offer any suggestions on what day of the week, and what time of the day, seems to work the best to take Pegacy's injections?
    I am to begin on Pegacy's with ribiviran in a couple of weeks.
    I am wondering what seems to be the average time frame for I might expect to feel at my worst. Does it seem worse within a few hours or within a few days of an injection?
    I don't know if I it would be better for me to take my shots morning, evening or bedtime, or during the week, or on the weekend.
    I am also wondering if I can expect the very first shot to be my worst? or Should I expect to feel a little little worse as time goes on.
    I would like to have an idea on what I might expect.
    I spoke with a lady who was on one non-pegulated interferon a few years ago and she said that her first shot was really horrible, but it got easier after that.
    I hear that the Pegacy's is suppose to be a little bit better as far as side effects. Could some of you who have taken Pegacy's share with me what you experienced with your first shot and did the sides get better or worse as time goes on?
    Thanks so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2004, 05:34 AM   #2
    hordubal
    (male)

hordubal HB Userhordubal HB Userhordubal HB User
    Re: Questions about Pegacy's injections ?

Hi,
    the very first thing is, that we are all different, and the reaction on tx as well. I can tell you my experiences. I was on Interferon (3 times a week) and Pegasys, therefore I can compare.

Sides by Pegasys were MUCH LOWER! I felt tired, sometimes headache, but I was able to work all the time. From my point of view, sides by Pegasys are not comparable with sides by plain Interferon.

Usually the sides at the beginning are worse than later. That was my case as well.

Which day of week is the best for injection? I choose friday. Saturday and sunday I felt not very good, monday was better etc. I choose friday, because I like to make trips throuhgh the weekend. Interferon must be kept cool (under 8 C), and that makes the travelling complicated.

You will have to learn how to handle the side effects. Try to observe, what helps you, and what not. Probably you will feel tired, fatigue, etc. Learn youreslf to rest. When I was on Pegasys, I used to sleep 9 hours a day! But have found that sleep helps me.

Another important thing is water. You should drink a lot! 3 liters a day or more! Water, juice, etc. No alcohol (of course!), no coffee, no Cola.
    And no smoking!

There are many web sites, where you can learn the DOs and DONTs.

Well, therapy is a long run. But you can win only if you fight.
    Thats the life.
    I wish you good luck!

Petr

Old 04-01-2004, 05:42 AM   #3
    hordubal
    (male)

hordubal HB Userhordubal HB Userhordubal HB User
    Wink P.s.

Sorry, I forgot: in another thread you asked me, if decafe coffee is OK.

Well, i do not know what "decafe coffee" exactly means (I live in central Europe, and I did not drink caffee in my life). But important is, if this coffee contain Coffein (try to read the label on the box). Generally - try to avoid everything, what is not suitable for children

Bye

Petr

Old 04-01-2004, 09:50 AM   #4
    thanbey
    Inactive
    (female)

thanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB User

Coffee is fine in moderation.

Drinking enough water to stay hydrated is important and the maount is variable from person to person. There is as much risk to drinking too much water as there is to drinking too little.

Smoking anything or being exposed to smoke of any kind is associated with increased damage to the liver.

For more information on this and other issues, check out "thanbey responds" on the website below my name. It is a compilation of questions and answers on a number of topics from this and other boards.

best wishes,

thanbey

Old 04-02-2004, 07:32 PM   #5
    smileylady
    (female)

smileylady HB User

Thank you so much for your reply!
    It is very helpful to me to know how other people have reacted.
    Thank you for sharing your experiences with me!!!

Old 04-02-2004, 07:46 PM   #6
    smileylady
    (female)

smileylady HB User

Thanbey,
    Thank you for all of your replies and for all of the wonderful information you have shared. You have been a tremendous help to me!!!
    I am learning so much from reading the information on your website. It's really great!
    My doctor had mentioned that I would need to drink a gallon of water a day.
    That sure sounds like a lot! Is there I way I will be able to tell if I am drinking too much water?
    Thanks!!

Closed Thread