It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• What finally cured my chronic hives

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-05-2004, 06:50 AM   #31
    muellersfarm

muellersfarm HB User
    Re: What finally cured my chronic hives

Sorry for being evasive, I just felt so "at home" after seeing so many posts from people who have this stuff! DPU ....DELAYED PRESSURE URTICARIA. We all know that the welps or hives are caused by our bodies producing too much histimine. So here are some examples of my husbands experiences: If he changes a tire, gotta use the tire iron or impact wrench to remove the lug bolts, couple hours later his hands welp up. If he squats down to change the tire, a couple hours later his feet welp up from the pressure of squating down. We have horses, so if he rides two or more days in a row, then he gets welps from the saddle, on his legs, and on his hands from the reins. Also, his face and eyes will begin to swell, and as I said before his breathing is horrible. The only durg that has helped him is Prednisione. Which is a drug of death if taken long term. We have tried every other medication out there and my husband is not one to want to take meds every day for the rest of his life. It seems to take him 2 or 3 days to physically recover from even mild outbreaks, it seems to just do something to his whole system. That is why I was courious as to what was going on with "NAVY" since I had read about him trying to get disability. My husband is a self employeed rancher/farmer more or less and this DELAYED PRESSURE URTICARIA has cost us so much........I believe doctors for the most part
    dont want patients cured, they want them to keep comming back and to ask no questions, cause at least with DELAYED PRESSURE URTICARIA, I have found that the doctors don't have answers. I have learned one thing about the way our medical system works and it is this....Being self employeed we do not have insurance. If we go to the doctor we pay the bill, it is always at the time of service, but WE PAY THE BILL..We have asked about having tests run, surely it seems there is some kind of test that should tell something but it doesn't seem necessary. Maybe its for the better because I have read a lot of posts and most usually a doctor can find 'SOMETHING" wrong with everybody if they look hard enough, but nothing ever seems to be associated with the URTICARIA. The funny thing is that the times when we have had insurance and would go to the doctor for the most common ailments, they are always wanting to run tests to milk money out of the insurance companies....OK, sorry about rambling. So, I am basically trying to find out if anyone A.) has severe breathing problems caused by the urticaria, my husband has not had good lung capacity since diagnoised with DELAYED PRESSURE URTICARIA, and it doesn't matter if he has welps or not, if he gets his heart rate up, laughing hard, running, anything really, he can not breath and is reaching for his epi-pen. he has never passed out from lack of air, but it is really scary to watch him gasping for air. The other thing I am looking for is B.) has anybody found that they are disabled due to this and is there any help. We have had lots of people say he should get on disability, but he's not disabled everyday. The rule of thumb with urticaria seems to be some days you can, then other days you can't cause you have to suffer. Some days he might be able to do several things and other days his feet might start swelling just from walking around a while. SO FRUSTRATING. Thanks for your time and response..
    Mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2004, 12:28 PM   #32
    HAIRDOER
    (female)

HAIRDOER HB User

Mary.
    I just wanted to say I am so sorry that your lives are being affected this way. I have had the hives everywhere too. Including my throat and have had trouble breathing but not so much as to have to use a epipen. Benadryl helps sometimes. I have not had them very bad since I take the Sulfasalizine. I really think it is worth him trying. I still work two jobs. I do not go on long walks or do much excersizing so my muscles don't get too stressed. I think I would also check into him having something else going on like asthma. Sounds like something different than hives in his lungs if this happens daily. Has he had any other tests? Has he had his thyroid checked? Don't give up on him yet. I used to only be helped by the predisone too. I took many rounds of it and as soon as I would taper off the hives would come back stronger. I hope Navy is still out there and can give you some answers. I have not seen her on here in awhile either. Good Luck!!

Old 05-10-2006, 03:47 PM   #33
    HAIRDOER
    (female)

HAIRDOER HB User
    Smile Re: What finally cured my chronic hives

Thought I would revisit this post I did a long time ago in case this info might help someone. The sulfasalizine quit working for me and after now 4 and a half years of chronic hives, angioedema and delayed pressure hives I have found something new that has stopped the all over daily stuff, and almost completely stopped the presssure hives too. I will do a different post on it later but it definatly is a hormone issue for me. I know other women have similar problems like me so maybe this will get you into researching the connection too. Here is a clue......Autoimmune progesterone dermatitis.. Will do a new post later............

Old 10-07-2007, 09:23 PM   #34
    HAIRDOER
    (female)

HAIRDOER HB User

I am back and hive free for 4 months now. The medicine that finally did it was called Danazol. Yes, I am allergic to my own hormones. Autoimmune progesterone dermatitis. Did the test to prove it and now I am off the medicine and the hives have not returned. My next option was a histerectomy. I will post more later. It is so great to have my life back. I am the one who found out the info and took it to my Dr. and said here, give me this test and then give me this drug. TA DA. Over one year on it and now off and free! Thank you GOD!

Old 10-18-2007, 08:36 AM   #35
    HAIRDOER
    (female)

HAIRDOER HB User

Wondering how many people on here who have chronic hives are female??
    I have continued this disussion on another thread called hormone allergies. I know I am not the only one allergic to myself on here. It is a autoimmune disorder though and curable. There is a light at the end of the tunnel!

Old 12-14-2007, 01:40 AM   #36
    Hogan Grimm
    (male)

Hogan Grimm HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HAIRDOER View Post
    Wondering how many people on here who have chronic hives are female??
    I have continued this disussion on another thread called hormone allergies. I know I am not the only one allergic to myself on here. It is a autoimmune disorder though and curable. There is a light at the end of the tunnel!
    Hey there.. glad to hear you are hive free.. I have been for a couple of years now.. HAPPY FOR YOU HAIRDOER...
    Hogan Grimm

Old 12-15-2007, 04:13 PM   #37
    summerluvr
    (female)

summerluvr HB User

did this sydnrome cause other allergy symptoms like running nose, and sneezing? what is the test for this?

I am female, i don't know if i posted in here, but i've had chronic hives for 5 years now, somewhat controllable by diet, i have a stong sensitivity to eggs fruits and pork and when i eat them i break out and have very bad running nose, sneezing etc.. usually worse the next day, but they dont' show up as allergies on tests so the allergist refuses to say its an allergy and instead says its autoimmune

Old 01-19-2008, 01:52 PM   #38
    ruby99
    (female)

ruby99 HB User
    Angry Re: What finally cured my chronic hives

Hello everyone I wanted to start on this message board because all of you seem to know and understand about the difficulties living and coping with dpu
    I have always suffered with allergies and sometimes suffered with acute urticaria that would only last a few days or even hours at one time and would respond well with antihistamines,it would usually be caused by my own horses/cats/dust/plants/heat etc, but I have been able to live a normal life.
    However 10 weeks ago I started to develop these hives all over my body that would not go away with the usual treatment, the worst places affected are my hands and feet, on xmas eve my hubby had to carry me into the doctors as both feet had swollen so badly I was unable to walk.
    My doctor has been very supportive but was unsure why I was developing these hives all over and requested an urgent referral to see a dermotologist who diagnosed me with having chronic pressure urticaria, he had doubled my dose of loratadine and also perscribed me atarax for night, I have an epien also because I get them in my throat and they restrict my breathing.
    Having been an asthmastic for years I am used to steroids and if there is no improvement then these will be used to calm it down, although I hate how I feel when I am taking them.
    It upsets me so much when I read about how long so many has had this awful condition, I am an emergency response officer and now having difficulty in my job, one day I can be ok then the next just from being on mobile response I cannot walk through pain and swelling, I had been signed off a few times now and am deeply concerned about how long I can bluff my way through such a demanding position that I have been working for many years.
    Basically all of this is making me depressed and suffering pain constantly is a nightmare, my children do not understand why mummy can not run about for them all the time and this causes bad feelings and makes me feel inadequate.
    I am not here to give my sob story because I know that you have all been suffering with this for many many years and I dont know how you have got through, I am here to learn.
    I have listed all the suggestions of medication that you have mentioned and will put these to my doctor in the future.
    Could anyone suggest a good anti'imflammatory because diclofenac sodium has made me terribly sick also what would be good for all the muscle pain that I have had all over various parts of my body. Ruby

Last edited by ruby99; 02-24-2008 at 08:52 PM. Reason: wrong spelling of medication

Closed Thread