It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Red Yeast Rice.Riz-Strol Questions: HELP

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-08-2004, 11:52 AM   #1
    goodby1

goodby1 HB User
    Red Yeast Rice.Riz-Strol Questions: HELP

Hey everybody- I posted a couple of days ago concerning this but it seems like either the title wasn't provocative enough or the thread got overlooked. So I'm kind of reposting with a more URGENT sounding title, hoping that someone might help answer some of my questions...

Read on:

1) Went to the doctor 4 months ago. Bad news- High Cholesterol.
    Total cholesterol: 242
    Triglycerides: 83
    HDL: 53
    VLDL:17
    and (YIKES) :172

OK, this didn't surprise me. My dad has high cholesterol.
    I'm male, 120 lbs, 5'7". Doc looks at me and says: "I hesistate to put you on any diet at all." (hah!) Anyway- he gives me the basic "lower your cholesterol" diet but if I were to follow that I'd probably blow away with the next strong breeze. Instead I do a couple of things: I start being less sedate and go to the gym AND I start watching my diet. Instead of the strict regimen given to me, I cut out most fatty foods, stop drinking soda, watch the foods that might spike my glycemic index (white breads etc.), and elimate all transfatty stuff (the snacks we all love). I also begin taking 1000mg of Fish Oil per day. I look foward to my second blood test to affirm that all of these measures are helping.

2) 3 months later: Nurse calls me up. "I have some bad news, and I have some bad news." Apparently all of my dieting and exercise have been for naught. Bad news 1: cholesterol hasn't gone down. Bad news 2: it's actually popped up another 10 points. Terrible!

3) Doc wants to put me on Lipitor- just 10mg a day. However since I don't want to contribute to overall decline of the health care of our nation, I tell the doc to give me another 3 months to try alternatives to going on the prescription drug rolls. He agrees.

4) My plan: I have just bought Riz-Strol. After browsing these boards, it seems to have yielded the best results with the fewest number of scary side effects. Here's what it is:

500 mg red yeast rice
    100 mg Guggulipd Extract
    75 mg Artichoke Extract
    10 mg Grape Seed Extract
    5 mg Garlic powder Extract 100:1

I plan on taking this 3x a day according to the bottle for 21 days. It then says to lay off the stuff of 7 days and then resume. I will probably resume with only 2x a day.

HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS:
    1) Is there anything that I should be taking to offset any potential damage or side effects that this Riz-Strol might do? I know that some people take pills to guard against what the statins do to their system- is it like CoQ or something? Should I be taking something like that concurrently?

2) What IS this stuff? Browsing the boards it SEEMED like Riz-strol actually contained the same stuff as lovistatin: is that true? Is this just a cheaper and more natural way of getting the same stuff as in the prescription meds? If so, I LIKE it! -
    Anyway- from what I gathered IT SEEMED like Riz-strol contained 2.5 mg lovistatin per caplet... correct me if I'm wrong.

3) What do you think of my plan? I kind of wanted to do the least bit of pill popping for the maximum effect. Since it's been proven that my diet really isn't effecting my serum cholesterol, I'm going to go back to eating normal-like with a few exeptions: I'm still watching transfats and cutting back on obvious offenders (no shellfish, etc). I didn't want to be too Spartan but I'm not going to go and disregard diet altogether. Also, I didn't want to take 15 pills a day, so I thought that I'd start with Riz-Strol since people seem to have been getting some pretty maximum results from it with the least amount of possible side effects (whenever people mention "flushing" it creeps me out- I don't know what it is, but it doesn't sound good and I don't want it happening to me!)

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2004, 03:23 AM   #2
    pcovers
    Veteran
    (female)

pcovers HB User
    Re: Red Yeast Rice.Riz-Strol Questions: HELP

Quote:
    Originally Posted by goodby1
    HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS:
    1) Is there anything that I should be taking to offset any potential damage or side effects that this Riz-Strol might do? I know that some people take pills to guard against what the statins do to their system- is it like CoQ or something? Should I be taking something like that concurrently?

2) What IS this stuff? Browsing the boards it SEEMED like Riz-strol actually contained the same stuff as lovistatin: is that true? Is this just a cheaper and more natural way of getting the same stuff as in the prescription meds? If so, I LIKE it! -
    Anyway- from what I gathered IT SEEMED like Riz-strol contained 2.5 mg lovistatin per caplet... correct me if I'm wrong.

3) What do you think of my plan? I kind of wanted to do the least bit of pill popping for the maximum effect. Since it's been proven that my diet really isn't effecting my serum cholesterol, I'm going to go back to eating normal-like with a few exeptions: I'm still watching transfats and cutting back on obvious offenders (no shellfish, etc). I didn't want to be too Spartan but I'm not going to go and disregard diet altogether. Also, I didn't want to take 15 pills a day, so I thought that I'd start with Riz-Strol since people seem to have been getting some pretty maximum results from it with the least amount of possible side effects (whenever people mention "flushing" it creeps me out- I don't know what it is, but it doesn't sound good and I don't want it happening to me!)

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!
    Taking CoQ10 is a good idea. Th dosage is speculative. I take 100mg day of the highly soluble variety.

In the supplement you are looking at the only think that is going to effect your cholesterol directly is the Red Yeast Rice. It is a statin. Many do have good results.

Old 04-09-2004, 06:47 AM   #3
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

goodby,

I think it's a bad idea. Who is guaranteeing the statin sode of 2.5 mg lovastatin.

On the cost:
    20 mg. lovastatin: $ 36.99/30 days

To get this dose of the Riz-stol you'd have to take a handful of pills and the cost will be MANY times the Rx lovastatin.

With any statin, I think 100 mg CoQ10 is good but with a teeny dose like the herbal, it's probably not necessary.

Let us know if you get your lipid numbers improved with it.

Old 04-09-2004, 10:02 AM   #4
    goodby1

goodby1 HB User

1) Thanks for the answers so far. I think I'll try that CoQ stuff at a low dosage as you recommended.

2) I suppose that I am a little adverse to going prescription right off the bat. The Riz Strol stuff is going to be initially about $15/ for a month in the beginning but I'm going to lower the dose to 2 caps a day in the second month- and if that works, then to 1 cap a day... that would reduce the cost to $7 a month or so. So far people have been getting good results doing this it seems. And since my doc was only going to put me on 10mg lipitor to start with, I'm thinking that he doesn't think that I need to much bang in my prescription straight away. That's why I'm kind of shooting for the low dosage alternative.

3) IS ORGANIKA A LARGE, REPUTABLE COMPANY?

Old 04-10-2004, 12:09 PM   #5
    tacomel

tacomel HB User

welcome to the world of confusion!! i have been on a "diet" since last july and have read so much about cholesterol/triglycerides that i make myself crazy with it all, it is a huge area of contradiction. however , t here do seem to be certain peices of advice that you read over and over again- and i just tend to follow the stuff that actually makes sense to me.. Red Yeast Rice does work much the same way as the statin medications, and i have read that if you take red yeast rice supplement- you should also take coQ10 as well because both statins and red yeast rice deplete coQ10 enzyme from your body. the problems with the natural supplements is that there are no specific guidelines to what the actual dosage should be- so you dont know if you are taking the proper amounts to help yourself. GOOD LUCK!

Old 04-11-2004, 12:28 PM   #6
    Sun50flower
    (female)

Sun50flower HB User

High cholestrol runs in my family so I thought I could never lower it unless I take medicine. This wasn't an option for me so I tried fish oil & red yeast rice tablets. Three mos. ago, my total was: 216; Tri- 100; HDL 63; LDL 134.

During the 3 mos. I worked out in the gym 3x a week; ate a low fat and high fiber diet; treadmill 3x a week (4.3 mph & at a high incline); drank red wine with dinner AND took Red Yeast Rice 600 mg 2 tablets twice a day with meals & EPA-DHA Omega 3 Fish Oil 500 one tablet twice a day with meals.

Had another blood test & I was very happy with the results: total: 173; Tri- 57; HDL 66; LDL 96. Even though I just had surgery & am unable to exercise, I am still taking the fish oil & red yeast rice tablets along with the low fat & high fiber diet. Good Luck!

Old 04-11-2004, 05:48 PM   #7
    goodby1

goodby1 HB User

well, I'm interested in everyone RYR dosage.

I'm taking this Riz-Strol 3x a day and it's got 500mg RYR extract in it or something. Other pills I've seen only have 300mg.

After I follow the package directions I'm gonna lower the dosage to 3 and then to 1 pill a day.

Again- I'm going for the "take as little supplement" as possible strategy with the philosophy that the less stuff you put in your body, the less the danger of side effects.

Old 07-16-2004, 03:55 PM   #8
    goodby1

goodby1 HB User

Just wanted to update you on the recent cholesterol news since I haven't posted since this April.

Well, I've been taking "Riz-strol"

Anyway- as you know I had cholesterol that was hovering around 258 even AFTER watching my diet. Then I started on this Riz-strol stuff: three caps a day and then later 2 per day (recently I've been not as consistent and only been doing 1 or 2 a day). I went to eating the way that I was eating before any of this started (minus really really bad stuff like shellfish and full sticks of butter) Anyway I got my blood test last week and got the results over the phone: Total Cholesterol has been lowered to 208! 50 POINTS!

Anyway I have yet to get the total results in the mail but the nurse said that my tri's and my ratio were good and to keep doing whatever I've been doing. So anyway, just thought I'd catch you up if any of you don't want to go on Lipator and drain the medicare system.

Old 07-24-2004, 06:41 AM   #9
    clemons21
    Inactive

clemons21 HB User

why don't you quit paying more for riz-strol and just by red yeast rice which is basically a statin like lovastatin. the red yeast rice is the only thing in it that will lower your cholesterol

Old 08-22-2004, 05:10 PM   #10
    alptraum
    Inactive

alptraum HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jenny_b
    that Riz-Strol has another name called Kelesstrol, and it's also good at reducing high blood pressure. My father has high blood pressure and high cholesterol for over 10 years. I'm wondering Riz-Strol is helpful for him or not. Could you advise?
    The Japanese have conducted quite a few clinical trials using beni-koji (Japanese red rice yeast):

Tsuji, K., Ichikawa, T., Tanabe, N., Abe, S., Tarui, S. & Nakagawa, Y. (1992b). Effects of Beni-koji foods on blood pressure in spontaneously hypertensive rats. Nippon Shokuhin Kogyo Gakkaishi, 39, 919-924.

Had access through my university to the journal. Above study uses rats, but does show that it can be useful, atleast in rats, in slowing down the rise of systolic as they age.

Inoue, K., Mukaiyama, Y., Tsuji, K.et al. (1995). Effect of beni-koji extracts on blood pressure in primary hypertensive volunteers. Japanese Journal of Nutrition, 53, 263-271.

A paper I'd like to get my hands on to but have not been able to locate yet. There's quite a few others, but my Japanese is nowhere near the level to read academic journals, I used to be able to read childrens books and newspapers intended for younger audience, but don't use it, you lose it

Do keep us updated on when you get another blood test and if if the numbers keep dropping or stabilize.

Closed Thread