It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board

• Anyone Tried Smoking Cessation Shots?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-24-2004, 09:30 PM   #1
    julbox

julbox HB User
    Question Anyone Tried Smoking Cessation Shots?

My husband is scheduled tomorrow at a Nicotine Addiction Clinic to receive injections that are federally patented and have an 86% success rate. He has to have someone to drive him home afterwards because he will feel euphoric for the rest of the day. Has anyone else tried this method and if so, was it successful? Can you describe the euphoric feeling as far as intensity? Also, he is a cocaine addict and has been clean and sober for 4 years and I am concerned that the euphoria that he will feel tomorrow after the shots may trigger his addicition. Thoughts or advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2004, 06:42 AM   #2
    Missylynn
    Inactive

Missylynn HB User
    Re: Anyone Tried Smoking Cessation Shots?

I have never heard of a shot before and would be interested in learning more about it. Sorry I couldn't help.

Old 03-25-2004, 05:10 PM   #3
    Tobias
    Veteran
    (female)

Tobias HB User

Are you sure this isn't some sort of scam? "Federally patented" means nothing.

Old 03-25-2004, 10:09 PM   #4
    julbox

julbox HB User

I cannot answer that other than how can a person be sure what is and isn't a scam anymore? He had the injection earlier today and all we can do now is wait and see. I can tell you that there were a lot of people there who had family members and friends that have had the injections and so far they have not relapsed. There were some people who knew people that had been smoke-free for over 8 years using this method. I talked to my brother who is a pharmacist about it and the medications used are legitimate and have been on the market for years and are perfectly safe when used for other indications. I'll keep you all updated!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tobias
    Are you sure this isn't some sort of scam? "Federally patented" means nothing.

Old 04-02-2004, 02:07 PM   #5
    Cin4676
    (female)

Cin4676 HB User

Hi Julbox,

How is your hubby doing now? Does he think it's working? I would really love to see a follow-up on this. I have never heard of it before, either. What did they charge for this and was it covered by insurance?

Old 04-05-2004, 03:29 PM   #6
    redjoy
    Inactive

redjoy HB User

Can anyone tell me what these shots are called?

Old 04-14-2004, 04:50 PM   #7
    ladyhawke

ladyhawke HB User

Hi Julbox.. congrats to your hubby & best of luck to him.. I too have decided it's time to give up the smoking habit.. I've heard of this shot but I don't know what it's called & sadly enough neither does my doctor.. Could you help out & give me the name of this product? thanks.. Sharon

Old 04-15-2004, 08:04 AM   #8
    snookhead

snookhead HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Anyone Tried Smoking Cessation Shots?

Hi everybody,
    I am new to the world of boards. Anyway, I know one person who has had the smoking shot. (Over 50, has never quit B4, 2 packs a day).
    He has been smoke free for 7 mo. now and loving it. The company is called Lifeline Stop Smoking Clinics, [[[ url and telephone number removed ]]] I go at the end of Apr. CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!
    Best of Luck to all trying..........G

[[[ brand names are allowed - do not post any other contact information ]]]

Last edited by moderator2; 04-15-2004 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Please carefully read, know and follow the Healthboards.com Policies and Guidelines. Click on FAQ at the top left of this page. Thank you!

Old 04-15-2004, 08:52 AM   #9
    Tobias
    Veteran
    (female)

Tobias HB User

I did some research and discovered that the injection method referred to in these posts involves Anticholinergics which Block the transmission of the impulses along the parasympathetic nervous system. They work by blocking acetylcholine. This appears to be an off-label use of some antidepressant drug or drugs, but the good folks who give these shots aren't about to let us know which specific drugs they might use. There are contraindications, such as prostate trouble.

Apparently the single "shot" is used to get through the first couple of days of not smoking and works by basically turning the smoker "off" to cigarettes - they don't taste right, mouth is dry, etc. The $10 explanation is is that the drug or drugs are anticholinergic antagonists.

The regimen of interviews and tests plus the injection itself costs around $450.

Old 04-15-2004, 09:28 AM   #10
    snookhead

snookhead HB User

The 2 drugs used in the cessation shot are scopolamine and atropine (not atrophine). They use saline (my friend had this) to be employed as the carrier liquid for the injection. This is according to their site. Barbara

Old 04-19-2004, 08:28 AM   #11
    smartgal
    Veteran
    (female)

smartgal HB User

Both of those are very serious drugs and nothing on their site shows that these shots are proven to work. The "references" just talk about the brain chemicals, but none of them show that this treatment corrects it. I would wait for more studies myself, or at the very least, I would want to know someone else who had it done successfully.

Old 05-04-2004, 07:16 AM   #12
    snookhead

snookhead HB User

I had "the" shot Friday nite! You get one shot behind each ear. You then go home with 2 small patches, 2 valium, and a script for Donnetol. You put one patch behind one ear for 3 days. Remove it and put the other patch behind the other ear for 3 days. I take the Donnetol 4 times a day for 2 wks. Donnetol is of the belladonna family. I am very glad I had the shot. I stay very relaxed due to the Donnetol, but functional. The patches have the Atropine and Scopolamine in them. It was $444 total. I have had no problem not smoking. It's been 3 days now. No withdrawls......

Old 05-04-2004, 07:27 AM   #13
    redjoy
    Inactive

redjoy HB User

What kind of a Dr did you go to & whats this called?

Old 05-04-2004, 10:20 AM   #14
    Tobias
    Veteran
    (female)

Tobias HB User

The patch behind the ear, containing scopolamine, is also used to fend off seasickness and is used by those going on cruises, etc.

Hey, there's an idea - reward yourself for not smoking by going on a cruise!!

Old 05-06-2004, 11:05 AM   #15
    LL29
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LL29 HB User

You know what I say? Save your $450 and just quit cold turkey and be miserable for the first week.

If I can do it - anyone can!

Laurie

5 months CTurkey quit and counting

Closed Thread