It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• What Foods Break You Out?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-14-2004, 02:42 PM   #1
    Legend#14

Legend#14 HB User
    What Foods Break You Out?

Now Doctors say that Food doesn't break you out but I know from my point of view Food does break me out, but what Foods break you out and you have to aviod

I have moderate acne and I've come to the conclusion that Milk breaks me out, Cheese also breaks me out, most greasy foods do and most things that contain dairy

What about you?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2004, 02:54 PM   #2
    another_girl

another_girl HB User
    Talking Re: What Foods Break You Out?

When I was younger I barely drank milk or at dairy but I had a little bit of acne now and then. At 21, I stopped eating red meat but I started drinking TONS of milk. My face was COVERED IN painful acne. It took my 4 years to draw the connection! I stopped drinking milk and eating dairy, I lost 15lbs. and all my acne!!

Old 04-14-2004, 03:30 PM   #3
    Max_Payne

Max_Payne HB User
    Re: What Foods Break You Out?

definately milk ,cheese, whatever has milk man!

Old 04-14-2004, 04:07 PM   #4
    indy gal

indy gal HB User

Cheese
    Salted, oil-roasted nuts
    Low-carb products (shakes, bars, chocolate)
    Regular chocolate :-(

Old 04-14-2004, 07:45 PM   #5
    erica1213
    (female)

erica1213 HB User

Another girl,
    How long did it take before your acne cleared up? You're still clear today?
    Thanks!

Old 04-14-2004, 08:21 PM   #6
    x SmiLez x

x SmiLez x HB User

What is the connection with milk and pimples? I think it breaks me out toooooo..

Old 04-14-2004, 11:49 PM   #7
    Loving_Life

Loving_Life HB User

There's a thread on milk & acne on the 2nd or 3rd page of this board. Well, milk can make acne worse. Cow's milk is very high in a protein called casein. It can clog and congest your body's system of tubes. It is the same stuff that glue is made out of. So to have acne-free skin you have to have pure blood and lymph fluid which casein proteins can block.

Last edited by Loving_Life; 04-14-2004 at 11:50 PM.

Old 04-15-2004, 09:37 AM   #8
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

LOL, you REALLY wanna know what bugs me? I just got finished making a list cuz it was starting to add up there, so here ya go ;-)

Major Irritants -
    Gluten - Wheat, Barely, Rye, & Oats - various acne & horrible painful menstrual cramps

Diary - even 100% organic, side of face pimples or cysts,

Gluten-Free Cereal & Organic Dairy - Tiny cysts in & around my earlobes, every time!

Bananas - last time I had this, I got armpit cysts!

Peanuts - forehead cysts, eyebrow acne, & some body cysts

Cashews & Pistachios (same family as Mangos) - neck acne, mild cysts

Pecans & Walnuts (same family) - Some forehead cysts, eyebrow acne, some body acne

Soda - jawline & chin cysts

Mild Irritants-
    Milk Chocolate Candy - sometimes stubborn tiny pimples (neck & under jaw area), sugar pimples

Candy- tiny sugar pimples that lasts 2 days

Trans Fats - Includes Partially & Hydrogenated Oils, some clogged pores & blackheads which makes more pores on & around my nose larger.

[bIffies[/b]
    (meaning could have been due to some other unknown ingredient that I thought was "OK")

Cherries - the Cysts may have been from the Whey Protein I had at the same time

Orange Juice - 100% pure even, cysts

Legumes - Slightly intolerant to some types. Peanuts is one of these that I know gives me acne.

Just a comment about the above list, I'm still discovering food that causes me problems. I can't always determine the pattern, but some foods do give me acne in very specific places. When I initially changed my diet and saw the amazing progress, I stopped consuming a lot of misc. foods, naturally. So once your skin gets better or you start learning to buy healthier foods, you start wanting to add more into your diet. Sometimes it feels like I shouldn't experiment with other foods, but not every new food has affected me. Most of these are common among others on this board too.

It takes awhile to figure out what's causing the problem, especially if you think you eating something thats safe. Once you start eliminating foods, even foods that you ate daily or occassionally could be a culprit and so you must pay attention to how your body reacts to it. This is what makes people doubtful because it's not usually an instant breakout or oil. If you are allergic you will have an instant reaction within in a 24 hour period. Yet, if you are Intolerant, it will be a delayed reaction. Sometimes that delayed reaction occurs on average 3 - 5 days after you've consumed that food item. So, if you aren't sure, you stop consuming it and see if your skin improves. If so, you consume it again, just to double check (or triple check). If it's found to be a problem, avoid it.

One of the things I didn't mention was 100% Fruit Juice and that's because I don't have it often enough, extremely rare, for me to even make a decision one way or the other. I usually only drink water. However, some of those foods, I never liked such as Walnuts or Cashews. Or I enjoyed, but rarely consumed such as Pistachios & Pecans. Yet, when I eliminated other ingredients, I thought it would be great to add in other foods, but it turns out that sometimes maybe there's a reason you don't Like to eat certan foods. Sometimes there's a reason that you LOVE to eat other foods (intolerances can be addictive). Bananas (Banana nut bread) are my favorites and so are Cheeses (cheesecake) & cherries, but....I can't have them.

If that seems depressing or "too hard" the thing that consoles me is that there are cookbooks and substitute foods that you can always play around with to add more flavor and variety. Also, I've had over 20 years with my favorite foods and I know what they taste like and smell like I can think about it fondly, but I can gladly given up most of those easily (some requires some planning) for the next 20 years or longer.

A sign of good health is to look and feel healthy. Darn my Animal Behavior class, thanks to it, I'm learning that animals judge reproductive fitness of a potential mate based on how deep or brightly colored they are. How well they sound. How big or healthy they look. Those that have parasites are sick, undernurshied, are smaller. Those that aren't eating well, their coats don't look as good. So lately what I've been thinking is how sad it is the way we treat ourselves. Most people don't put their health as their number one goal in life. That's unfortunate because our health can sometimes determine our reproductive fitness.

I hesitate to say this, because it's not "pretty", but we are lucky that we have an external indicator that tells us there is something wrong with us on the inside. Some "beautiful" or "flawless" people don't have this indicator, but it doesn't mean they aren't unhealthy in some way. For some people it's a matter of dietary changes (when meds fail) and for others it so severe that they need a combination of solutions, including diet and detoxing, etc. Thankfully human beings aren't always so judgemental, but a good example of this is having PCOS. It can cause infertility problems along with acne, and wieght etc, but women with this who change their diets are capable of concieving!!!

So, the thought that because I'm consuming something for pleasures sake, is causing my body to actually cry out in pain with lesions (cysts, pimples, etc), and horrible cramps (during menses), etc is very unsettling. My goal has always been to be healthy for I figured that was the way I would also be clear. It turns out my instincts weren't too far off. I'm not trying to prevent cancer or to live longer, but I do want to improve the quality of life that I have now. I just want to be healthy and I want clear skin more and I'm more than willing to eliminate the foods that won't allow me to achieve that goal. When I'm well "behaved" my skin is clearer, smoother, glows, and I have the tiniest pores I've ever had! =)

Last edited by SweetJade1; 04-15-2004 at 10:39 AM.

Old 04-15-2004, 09:45 AM   #9
    Crossbow
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Crossbow HB User

Cutting out dairy will make your cramps worse unless you are taking a heck of a lot of calcium. In fact, for me, calcium supplements don't cut it. It has to be dairy.

There is still absolutely no medical evidence that foods can cause acne.

Old 04-15-2004, 10:07 AM   #10
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Crossbow,
    All I usually ever do is explain and provide scientific support as to how, why, and what foods contribute to our hormonal problems that can have acne as a symptom. Even if you don't "buy it" those studies are no different than the ones for Accutane, etc. It's science and the fact that our body is built on Fats, Proteins, and Sugar, its amazing that no one could connect the dots, despite decades upon decades of studies that have at least hinted at it. Yes food matters, and it matters THAT much to our overall health. Since 1940s they've had Trans fats in our diets, and have had repeated studies disfavoring this, but only now are they putting up the warning signs that it can lead to obesity and heart disease...sigh.

Anyway, I've mentioned this to you before, Gluten Intolerant individuals sometimes can't even tolerate Corn, Rice, or potato..starches. Those that gave up Corn along with gluten, had clear skin again. As for the cramps, that is a mystery for me. When I get some free time I'm going to have to look up what it dairy provides you, but atheltes have reported the same thing. Stop dairy and muscle cramps start and they go away when you add it back. How long have you gone without dairy? Since calcium does plays a big role in muscle contractions, have you tried increasing your Calcium Rich Vegetables instead? Or maybe dairy is providing you some B Vitamins, have you tried adding that or Magnesium in with your Calcium Supps? However eliminating Gluten or anything that will spike my insulin levels enough, eliminated the menstrual cramps. I could consume dairy and candy during this time, but I've found it makes me feel a bit physically uncomfortable (odd sort of pain) when I do. So dairy is not a friend of mine (or others) around this time either. =)

Take care

Last edited by SweetJade1; 04-15-2004 at 10:18 AM.

Old 04-15-2004, 03:01 PM   #11
    coloradogirl1
    Veteran

coloradogirl1 HB User

I had pretty moderate acne before I became pregnant and now I am 23 wks pg. My skin has pretty much cleared up for the entire pregnancy. Except for the last two weeks - I am getting pimples where as soon as they heal, another two or three are brewing. The only thing that has changed lately is that I started eating bananas, which I had always suspected made me break out, but I could never tell for sure since I had so much acne anyway. I am going to try to stop eating them for a few weeks and will let you know what happens. Weird! Why bananas - food allergy?

Old 04-16-2004, 12:22 AM   #12
    ccynthia

ccynthia HB User

Please let us know Coloradogirl. It is always interesting to hear what foods break people out. After some time of eliminating foods, I think I may have problems with dairy (CHEESE!). Which really sucks because I am physically addicted to it (*smile).

Does anyone else have an idea of what might cause earlobe cysts? I used to get these all of the time and all of a sudden I never got them again.

Old 04-16-2004, 05:08 AM   #13
    euro18

euro18 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crossbow
    There is still absolutely no medical evidence that foods can cause acne.
    I just don't understand how people can ignore the acne-food correlation. I am surprised people like sweetjade still post on this board because I am sure she is getting sick and tired of repeating herself! If you don't believe that certain foodgroups can break you out , you should acknowledge that food has a massive effect on hormones.

1) I think everyone agrees acne is related to your hormones. Well, what do you think has the BIGGEST effect on your hormones???????????? FOOD!! Let me quote Dr Sears to you

" Food may be the most powerful drug you will ever take. Hormones are hundreds of times stronger than drugs. Every time you eat, you start a hormonal cascade."

Thus, food affects hormones which in turn affects our skin.

I am as frustrated as anyone - I don't want to believe that diet can affect acne. But, I am afraid it does. I used to eat what I thought was "healthy." I never ate any fast foods, chocolate, sweets or dairy even. Yet I still ate lots and lots of wholemeal bread, wholemeal pasta, citrus fruits, spicy vegetables - yet these are the things that were causing problems. I know now my body does not like citrus fruits or spicy vegetbales - So I stopped eating them. (skin improved - lot less redness)
    Moreover, every time I give up pasta , bread etc (wholewheat kind) my skin improves - so I am not waiting for a doctor to tell me in 10 years time that they have just discovered a connection between food and acne - I want to know now!

Old 04-16-2004, 06:38 AM   #14
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

LOL, well Thanks Euro. It can be frustrating, particularly when you can't see the connections. Yet, I've tried that argument above, and people still ignore it. There are studies going back to the 70s that state that sebum is caused by androgen production. There is one study that goes back to the 40s that states that DHT MAY be the reason for acne in susceptible individuals. Yet despite those studies, it seems that the media, doctors, derms, I dont know who, focused only on the sebum itself. It's ridiculous that people still say it's solely bacteria or sebums fault, that's been discounted on several occasions. Oh well...

So how are you doing?

Old 04-16-2004, 06:42 AM   #15
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

CCynthia

As far as earlobe acne goes, I just started to get that after I changed my diet. It's probably because I am more susceptible to breakouts now that I'm off of spiro, so I have to watch what I eat. I dont' have spiro to protect me from the backlash. Although...at that time I was on Spiro, so it may have had to do with the protection that I had from Avandia (an Insulin Sensitizer, but altering my diet worked better). Anyway, what I found caused it was a combination of (Gluten-Free) Cereal and Organic Milk. I tested it on several occasions. I went through periods where I ddin't have them and then when I did. I finally linked it to how often I was consuming cereal. I used to eat this on a daily basis, but when I changed my diet, I drastically reduced my consumption. So I was purchasing cereal every 2 or 3 months and would proceed to finish off the box or two that I had by eating it almost everyday. Tsk tsk tsk ;-)

So that MAY be your problem, or it might be something else. I couldn't say but maybe you should try and think about things that you eat at certain periods vs. what you eat during other periods. A food diary always helps, if you can recall. Now as for your cheese addiction, why don't you try Red Star Nutritional Yeast. It supposed to enhance flavors and some have stated it tastes a bit like cheese. There's also a company called Road's End that makes a product line called ChReese. It's Dairy Free, Soy-Free, and some things are even Gluten-Free!

HTH =)

Closed Thread