It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Working out after back surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-20-2004, 05:07 PM   #16
    Racharina
    Inactive

Racharina HB User
    Re: Working out after back surgery

Jill,
    when did you have your surgery and what did you have done? fusion or just a hemi?

I can see why Brooke says walking outdoor is better than the treadmill, you use other muscles, but if you can't do it outside a treatmill is great. As long as you walk.

I tried Yoga, I couldn't do any of the bending, but there were other exercises I could do. Then when the people went back to the bending, I did stretches and more stretches. I was a little sore after the class, but I went to the Jacuzzi and I was back like new.

I am so glad you are free of pain Jill. That is great. I get sad when I hear that some people had failed surgeries. I hope mine soon will be a 100% success!

-R

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2004, 05:08 PM   #17
    sgc123
    (female)

sgc123 HB User

Doing exercises while sitting sounds great! Of course, you probably still sweat. Unfortunately, I still can't sit for any length of time comfortably. I am actually sitting on a big exercise ball now while typing. For some reason, the ball is more comfortable than a chair. I just have to remember my posture. That is the one good thing about surgery, the pain reminds me when I start slouching or am in a bad position for my back.
    I'm glad you are improving without surgery. I did everything possible to avoid it, but my disk had actually ruptured and fragmented and then started to adhere to the nerve. I waited a year and a half though, but I was in so much pain by the end that I was considering taking a leave of absence from work because I couldn't do it anymore even with pain meds. Hopefully your inclines will help you build up your back muscles. Don't forget about the abs either- they are very important to keeping your back in line. I currently working on that myself
    Jill

Old 04-20-2004, 05:12 PM   #18
    sgc123
    (female)

sgc123 HB User
    Talking Re: Working out after back surgery

[QUOTE=Racharina]Jill,
    when did you have your surgery and what did you have done? fusion or just a hemi?

I can see why Brooke says walking outdoor is better than the treadmill, you use other muscles, but if you can't do it outside a treatmill is great. As long as you walk.

I tried Yoga, I couldn't do any of the bending, but there were other exercises I could do. Then when the people went back to the bending, I did stretches and more stretches. I was a little sore after the class, but I went to the Jacuzzi and I was back like new.

I am so glad you are free of pain Jill. That is great. I get sad when I hear that some people had failed surgeries. I hope mine soon will be a 100% success!

-R[/QUOTE]

I had a microdiscectomy. I was actually lucky because there was enough space between the vertebrae that the dr. did not even have to do a laminectomy to get his tools in to remove the disk. I think I had more back trauma from standing on one leg and walking with a limp for over a year than the actual surgery.

Every day without pain is a great day It is amazing the little things you start to appreciate after going through something like this.
    Jill

Old 04-20-2004, 05:13 PM   #19
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

Jill, I love the ball!!!! I have three of them, the oblong one, the massage one, and the regular one. I use them to a tape that came with them. They are great for sitting on as your tail bone is supported. They now make chairs that have the ball built in, came you believe it?

The chair lady says that you can also do the exercises in bed. I wonder if you have her in your area on PBS or can get a tape? She is great.

Old 04-20-2004, 05:20 PM   #20
    sgc123
    (female)

sgc123 HB User
    Cool Re: Working out after back surgery

[QUOTE=moonlight]Jill, I love the ball!!!! I have three of them, the oblong one, the massage one, and the regular one. I use them to a tape that came with them. They are great for sitting on as your tail bone is supported. They now make chairs that have the ball built in, came you believe it?

The chair lady says that you can also do the exercises in bed. I wonder if you have her in your area on PBS or can get a tape? She is great. [/QUOTE]

There is a massage ball?! I'm going to have to get that one. Anything with massage in the name has to be good A chair with a ball in it- what a unique concept. I bet it looks pretty funny though. I might have to get one of those to work or just take my ball in with me. Of course, I am certainly going to get some strange looks if I do that. I do get PBS. What time does this lady come on? Do you know the name of the show? I will have to see if I can find it so I can try some of the exercises. It has been nice posting with you tonight. I don't normally get responses right away- tonight I can't even keep up with you My back is starting to get sore even on the ball so it is telling me that I need to go do something else. I'll check later or tomorrow about the PBS show. Thanks for the info.
    Jill

Old 04-20-2004, 05:25 PM   #21
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

[QUOTE=sgc123]There is a massage ball?! I'm going to have to get that one. Anything with massage in the name has to be good A chair with a ball in it- what a unique concept. I bet it looks pretty funny though. I might have to get one of those to work or just take my ball in with me. Of course, I am certainly going to get some strange looks if I do that. I do get PBS. What time does this lady come on? Do you know the name of the show? I will have to see if I can find it so I can try some of the exercises. It has been nice posting with you tonight. I don't normally get responses right away- tonight I can't even keep up with you My back is starting to get sore even on the ball so it is telling me that I need to go do something else. I'll check later or tomorrow about the PBS show. Thanks for the info.
    Jill [/QUOTE]

The massage ball has bumps all over it and feels good.

The chair looks weird but works great. Office Depot has them. They have to accomadate you at work so you might hint about it to your boss

Call your local PBS and ask about the programming. I am not sure of the name of the show.

Get up and walk around, stretch those legs. I know that I am going to do that right now

Old 04-20-2004, 06:31 PM   #22
    jettsmom

jettsmom HB User

Hi everyone, I just have to say I just got the massage ball about a month ago and I love it! Although I have to kick my 5 year old off of it everyday. I also try to walk outside everyday for a little while, I think it just makes me feel better to get of the house and feel a little normal. I'm also working on my abs everyday especially since I am also a spondy, not sure yet if anorther surgery is in the future, keeping my fingers crossed that I'm still healing from my laminectomy last december.

Old 04-20-2004, 06:41 PM   #23
    Racharina
    Inactive

Racharina HB User

mmmhhh i will have to get this massage ball!!

Is that a ball that is big and you do abs with it as well resistant? If so I have one and it came with a tape of Kathy Smith. I just never use it. It sits there as another decoration item.

am I wrong or are you guys talking about another type of ball?

-R

Old 04-20-2004, 07:24 PM   #24
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Dear Jill,

Im glad you've asked about sessions with a personal trainer. I dont know how it works in the states but in Australia, there is minimum requirements a trainer must educate themselves with before becoming a trainer. There are all different kinds of institutions that run these courses.

Basically the trainer must first complete a gym instructor course. That is one week full time. They can then on successful completion of their exam they go on to do a personal trainers course which runs for 6 weeks full time. After that athey are called a personal trainer.

I do not agree with this method of education at all. I would not put myself in the hands of someone who has done under half a years worth of study in a field. I think the body is far too important to have such little education toward it.

Unfortunately it is compulsory that one does these 'courses' to practice as a personal trainer regardless of prior academic knowledge. I am also studying exercise science at uni (4 years) and then doing post grad physiotherapy so i am a little more confident in my knowledge (though am still learning).

So...to cut a long story short, perhaps someone with a strong sturctural anatomy and no other major health issues could go to a regular personal trainer but if i were you would not go to a personal trainer as they do not know anything about your spinal history and would most likely not understand it either. They do cover the anatomy of the spine in the courses and the importance of a strong stable structure but no one really understands the spine like we do. I think thats a natural thing, you dont realise somethings worth until it is under threat. That said i would go to a physio who has perhaps done sports science or exercise science for advise on working out, i know i will be doing that. I believe they are called sports physiotherapists.

Hope this helps Jill, sorry about the long blerb on personal trainers.

Brooke

Old 04-20-2004, 07:37 PM   #25
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Dear moonlight,

Hi, how are you? You're very lucky that you've not had to have surgery yet. You're absolutely right, try all the natural methods first.
    I tried everything for 3 years and the first 2 years were great but toward then end my abilities fast declined.

It sounds as if these tv and tape workouts seem to agree well with you. It seems a lot of the time people do these workouts on tape and tv and sometimes can do damage to their otherwise injury free body because there is no face to face with anyone who is qualified to ensure that you are performing the exercises correctly. I know my mum wanted to do beginner yoga on the tv and there was no way i would let her, she has very little knowledge of exercise and i could see an accident coming on.

As i said, these seem to be working for you so as long as you feel fine, go for it Just remember though when sitting there is 150% pressure on the spine. To then apply weight in your upper body (resistance bands or free weights) will add to that pressue because your abdominals and obliques remains moderately relaxed due to the seated position. Can you perhaps modify these resistance exercises laying down or standing up?

I dont mean to interfere with your exercise regime, just some advise.

Brooke

Old 04-20-2004, 08:08 PM   #26
    ItHurts!

ItHurts! HB User

Exercise is great for me! But then again that is just me. I am functionally 100% like i was before i was injured so I exercise quite a bit. It makes my back and neck stronger and more resistant to impact and stress. I also play contact flag frisbee alot during the weekends. I don't attribute the fact that i suck at it to my back though. I just hope it dosn't someday make things worse for me but for now everything is going fine in terms of exercising.

Old 04-20-2004, 10:52 PM   #27
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

[QUOTE=Racharina]mmmhhh i will have to get this massage ball!!

Is that a ball that is big and you do abs with it as well resistant? If so I have one and it came with a tape of Kathy Smith. I just never use it. It sits there as another decoration item.

am I wrong or are you guys talking about another type of ball?

-R[/QUOTE]

This is a large ball, same size as the exercise ball but with bumps on it.

I do it with most of my exercises. It is less painful on the joints. It is great for abs.

Might want to dust it off. It is also great for sitting on while typing.

Old 04-20-2004, 11:10 PM   #28
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

[QUOTE=Brooke79]Dear moonlight,

Hi, how are you? You're very lucky that you've not had to have surgery yet. You're absolutely right, try all the natural methods first.
    I tried everything for 3 years and the first 2 years were great but toward then end my abilities fast declined.

It sounds as if these tv and tape workouts seem to agree well with you. It seems a lot of the time people do these workouts on tape and tv and sometimes can do damage to their otherwise injury free body because there is no face to face with anyone who is qualified to ensure that you are performing the exercises correctly. I know my mum wanted to do beginner yoga on the tv and there was no way i would let her, she has very little knowledge of exercise and i could see an accident coming on.

As i said, these seem to be working for you so as long as you feel fine, go for it Just remember though when sitting there is 150% pressure on the spine. To then apply weight in your upper body (resistance bands or free weights) will add to that pressue because your abdominals and obliques remains moderately relaxed due to the seated position. Can you perhaps modify these resistance exercises laying down or standing up?

I dont mean to interfere with your exercise regime, just some advise.

Brooke[/QUOTE]

Brooke:

I tried to answer your questions by highlighting, but didn't work, so:

I am hoping that what I am doing will work. I may be fooling myself though. My back is killing me today. I think that it is because I have not done stairs today.

I am sure that surgery is in the future for me. I am so happy that they have these boards so I can get an informed opinion.

I had my back doctor show me exactly how and what I could do. I am not to try to bend over at all or to twist. This is why I am working on my hams by putting them up on a table or using a band on my legs as my hams ar too tight and pulling on my lower back. One of my friends is a physical therapist and another has taught Yoga for years. So: Disclaimer: If you are doing exercises by tape or tv, have a doctor or physical therapist show you what you can and can't do.

The exercise ball tape has beginnger, middle and advanced. I do the beginner and do other things when they do things that I can't do.

As for Yoga, same thing. I have a personal program that I can do.

The lady on tv is set up for people who are injured or are not able to do floor work. I know that my mom can no longer get up and down off of the floor so she is going to do strength training and then back to floor exercises.

First I work out with the fit and fifty club on tv (which is pretty strenous) and then I move on to the lady in the chair who does thing very slowly. I find that she does things in a mode that would be easy for a person who is eighty to do. We have a large number of older people in our population.

The sitting program only lasts one half of an hour. I also do the floor stuff with bands laying down.

Thank you, sincerely, for your concern and I hope that no one reads this and thinks that all exercise is good for everyone. Everyone needs to have someone, hopefully their doctor, show them what they can and can't do.

It took me awhile to realize that you have to really watch every movement. I bought back supports for the car, stay off of the couch and only sit in the right chairs, and never, never, twist and bend at the waist, especially at the same time. Getting in and out of the car is a feat in itself as I had to learn to do it correctly, same as getting out of bed or off of the floor. So often we just do something out of habit and then get hurt and have to learn new habits.

Old 04-21-2004, 02:44 AM   #29
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Dear Moonlight,

Thats great to hear. You sound like you are very conscious of what you are doing exercise wise and sound as if you are receiving excellent guidance from those around you which is great.

I have always been active in some kind of way and have a deep passion for exercise and health. I cant wait for the day when i get back to the way i once was. I think i need to come to terms with not being able to exercise quite as i used to but it will be trial and error to figure my limits. This of course is at least a year off for me so in the meantime i have plenty of time to study more and help other out.

Brooke

Old 04-21-2004, 02:56 AM   #30
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Dear Ginger,

Its really great to hear that you are feeling well except for the usual stiffness associated with this type of thing.

It is real important as you know to get those tummy muscles in peak condition. It is the abdminals that support the back. Without good core stability youre back can be at risk of re-injuring due to weakness. There are so many layers to the abdominals that wrap around the spine from the back all the way around to the front. Its like the seatbelt for the spine. Think of a cylinder that is a barrier and protector. The deepest layer is the most important and is actually the easiest to work on...anytime of the day in any position...even in bed with minimal exertion. All you have to do is breath deeply and normally and slowly suck in your tummy to your spine, as tight as you can whilst still breathing normally. Hold that for 10 seconds then release the tension 70% hold for another 10 seconds and release totally. Rest and repeat as often as you like. I begun that way and now i have those stomach muscles at 70% tightness all the time (except when sleeping that is). lol.

Thats the best way to start and you can do it anytime regardless of how your spine is feeling, i did it while i was in intensive care!! lol.

Yep carbs are our primary fuel source then fats. Whilst carbs are and always must be an essential part of our diets it must be ensured that we dont over do it as tempting as that might be. Carbs are broken down in the body and become glycogen or glucose. Glycogen is used to fuel our daily activities or it is stored as glucose. Whilst it is important that we keep eating them if you are in a period of inactivity due to surgery or recovery it is not as neccessary to eat as much. That goes for all food groups because we simply are not going to use as much energy as we otherwise would, therefore we do not need as much food. That said we need to adequately supply our body with good nutritonal foods to allow the best healing process possible, but we must cut out those uneccessary foods which includes excess carbs.

Hope this has been of some help,

Keep me posted

Brooke

Closed Thread