It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• 10 weeks after ACDF C6-C7

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-15-2004, 04:12 PM   #1
    2nd timer
    (female)

2nd timer HB User
    Cool 10 weeks after ACDF C6-C7

I am almost 10 weeks post op from ACDF w/plating at the C6-C7 level. As many of you know this was my second fusion surgery. I had already had C5-C6 removed 8 years ago. I returned to work on April 5 and I have had some discomfort since then but nothing major. I think I just need to get a desk which is a little more ergonomic.
    For all of those who are facing this surgery I wish you the best of luck. I have had nothing but relief from all of the pain and numbness. And I even got my voice back at about 6 weeks post op. I would do it all over again without a second thought. This second time around went much better than the first time.
    For those who have had the surgery and are still experiencing problems. You are in my prayers. And believe me you will continue to improve for many months to come.
    This board was a lifeline for me and helped me recover so much easier. Loved ones tend to get tired of hearing us complain about the pain and this is as much better place to vent our pains and fears.

Good luck to all!!!
    Susan
    38 yrs old and feeling great in KY!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2004, 02:56 PM   #2
    tuxedo

tuxedo HB User
    Re: 10 weeks after ACDF C6-C7

When you refer to c6 & c7 are you referring to your neck? If yes, I have questions for you!

Old 04-19-2004, 07:40 AM   #3
    2nd timer
    (female)

2nd timer HB User

Yes, C6 and C7 in my neck. What is your question?

Old 04-19-2004, 09:56 PM   #4
    secondfiddle

secondfiddle HB User

Thanks so much for your encouragement! I'm only 4 days post-op. I was thinking that day 3 might be the worst, but today was actually a little worse than yesterday. One of these days I'm sure things will start looking up, and it helps to read posts like these to keep me positive. I'm glad you're doing so well!

Old 04-20-2004, 05:26 PM   #5
    2nd timer
    (female)

2nd timer HB User

Hey Secondfiddle,
    Recovery from ACDF surgery is not easy. Having a positive attitiude is a big part of it. My first surgery 8 years ago was terrible. I had been taking oxycodone and lortabs for 6 months just to cope with the pain and I stopped taking them the day I had the surgery. Big mistake!! I had terrible withdraws and had no idea what was causing it. I had alot of muscle pain afterwards. I would say that my recovery the first time took about a year. I finally went through PT and found relief.
    But this time around I was more prepared and I had not been taking the narcotics. I did lose my voice for about 6 weeks, but it had came back completely now. Muscle spasms have not set in either. At eleven weeks post op I am almost completely pain free. I am a little sore and stiff first thing in the mornings but as soon as I start moving around it goes away.
    Good luck in your recovery. My advice is to do exactly what your doctor says and don't over do it. Keep me posted.
    Susan

Old 04-20-2004, 07:42 PM   #6
    JenEbean
    (female)

JenEbean HB User

I am envious. I had ACDF of C6-7 on 12-11-03 and still have a lot of pain. I am in PT but the physical therapist and my ortho don't agree on what is happening. He says I am still healing from the surgery, that the pain in my upper arm and under the arm is nerve related and that I have bursitis of the shoulder. I have had 4 cortisone shots so far. The Physical therapist thinks I have a subluxation of the shoulder and that I have a labrial tear around the back of the arm. She doesn't believe it is at all related to the ACDF. Who do you believe?

I am so glad that you got relief from your surgery. I wouldn't want anyone to go through this.

Old 04-23-2004, 04:16 PM   #7
    2nd timer
    (female)

2nd timer HB User

JenE
    Your recovery sounds just like my first experience 8 years ago. I had Pt and cortisone injections too. I didn't think I would ever get over it. It took me about a year to finally feel like things were normal again. It's strange that it can go good one time and struggle another time. I had all of the same doctors with both surgeries.
    I wish you the best of luck. Keep your spirits up and think positive. One thing I found that really helped me both times was to keep a log of my pain episodes. When I would look back a month later I could always see that I was improving ever so slightly.
    I am proof that this surgery can be the best thing. I am back 100% and I have no fears of having to go through this a third time. I feel like this second surgery will be my last. I couldn't say that after my first disk was removed.

Susan

Old 04-23-2004, 10:27 PM   #8
    simeone

simeone HB User
    Smile Re: 10 weeks after ACDF C6-C7

Hi my name is Simeone:

This is my story I had a seizure 2 year ago. 7 month after a starting having neck pain shoulder arm ect. First they did a MIR on my shoulder and they found a tear so I went physio and she fix my up. One month later I starting having sore neck headaches and then went away then 4 month later everytime I would turn my to the left it would pull all the right arm. And work with that. I am a Cashier Supervisor at a Shopper's Drug Mart so I work a lot with my hand and neck so I was in a lot of pain. I work like this for 2 week
    and then I went to see my doctor to take a MIR fo my neck. Meanwhile I was going physio for my neck. The day of my MIR the result came back. The result was that between C6-C7 was punch back and was pinching my nerve that goes throught the arm. On April13/04 gave a paper go go on sick leave for a little until I get better. The morning is the worse I feel so much pain.

The physio think that maybe went I feel from my seizure that I some damage to my neck God Bless my husband the love of my life was home that morning, because the way I felt on the bathtub, I was unable to get free.

Now I am suffering with pain but at least a have a great husband and great daughter to support and help me.

Closed Thread