It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• when does it end

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-23-2004, 05:03 AM   #46
    no patience
    Senior Veteran

no patience HB User
    Re: when does it end

Quote:
    Originally Posted by deeanndees
    patience, I have just stopped taking methadone hours short of 8 days..could you tell me when I can expect to sleep . No sleep and not even a yawn. Sometimes I think I fall asleep for about 45 minutes..Please tell me soon.. noreally I need honesty , just in high hopes that it will be soon..thanks in advance...and stay strong, I admire you alot, I know it was a nightmare for me..I keep thinking ..."yes!I made it through the hard part, If I can beat that, nothing in life can hold me back. Although I feel like crap I also feel like it has kinda empowered me. Maybe its silly and maybe its from lack of sleep but hope I continue to feel this way. You should be very proud of yourself. I know it was the hardest thing I have ever done. stay strong!!!
    deeanndees call your doc and see if he will prescribe you trazadone i was on it going through the w/ds and was lucky enough to sleep its just an ssri they use for sleep because everyone is different and your sleep pattern could not be normal for along time my heart is with you i know what your going through i also called my doc and he put me on a fentynal patch and weaned me down to help ease the withdrawals im telling you i really feel for you did you wean off the methadone or go cold turkey please keep in touch im proud of you for doing this it takes alot of will power sleep soon and please call your doc kelleigh

Last edited by no patience; 04-23-2004 at 05:05 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2004, 10:48 AM   #47
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by howard678
    Jennita,

I am afraid I relate to Mic and the guy`s lyrics. My pills were a shelter for me. They were my "little helper." And from June to October of last year, I really did not know how many I was taking. I loved to take a Xanax bar, big dose, 2 mgs, about 6 p.m. and sleep undisturbed, wake up 12 hours later. And I drank with them too. That song makes me said while motivating me. I listen to it from time to time. And I was a drug recepticle in my late teens and early 20s. When first prescribed benzos I was under some pretty serious stress and symptoms were manifesting. I really do not relate to the pure accidental addict that was prescibed benzos for some simple muscle twitch or something then stayed at the same dose for 8 or 10 years. I developed tolerance quick. My biggest complaint is that I was not warned of the extent of the withdrawal syndromes, had I, I would never have started benzos. But I had eaten blue Valiums like candy when I was young along with whatever else happened to be available and never had any benzo specific problems that I can recall. BUT, as to know, I got the discipline to taper, and that is good. It is great hearing you are athletic. I think more exercise will do me good, have gotten slack on my walks, will kick them back up this weekend.

Yep, makes sense, stress weakens the immune system, but I am working on stress reduction. You will see a victory here my friend, no matter the cost, and I think you will be here to rejoice with me.
    Yes, I will be here rejoicing!

Wow, it takes guts to admit all those things you did. I can see why then, you can't relate to most of the people in those support groups since most of them are accidental addicts....they are probably have alot more anger issues about it than you do, and I know sometimes they can go a bit too far with it.....deep down you are taking some of the blame yourself because of your past behavior...the accidental addicts don't, and for good reason.

I think you are being a little hard on yourself and don't realize that your past is not to blame here. Yes, you did something very unwise and dangerous in doing drugs when you were young! But that does not excuse what the doctors did to you in later years by prescribing benzos to you. Because whether or not you did drugs in the past, those drugs should not have been prescribed to you at all, or to anyone for that matter. Yep, I'm one of those people who thinks that benzos have their place in hospital/emergency/anesthetic settings only (their original intent) and that's about it....never should they have reached prescription drug status.

But, then again, I am one of the accidental addicts, so my view is different than yours. I know I had no blame, other than trusting doctors and being a good patient. My past involves no drugs, as I never understood it, really. I prefer real life, not a fake one. Fake ones have no meaning and the real world is always going to be there whether you like it or not, right? As far as alcohol, I tried it but really hated the taste. Plus, I got a bit tipsy and also didn't like the feeling...a little out of control....I like being in control of myself I guess.

But like I said; this is really not your fault either! Your past is not relevant because they also prescribe these pills to innocents like me, and I had a terrible time with tolerance and getting off of them....if my past was relevant, it should have been a different story, right? You get what I'm saying?

Doctors love to blame the patient when their drugs go wrong, you are a perfect example. But where is my blame? I ended up just like you with these drug, but without the drug past. Now, true, I didn't drink with my pills....but guess what? One night out of desperation, I actually did! Yes, me, Ms. "I hate the way alcohol tastes". Why? because it got me a few hours sleep.

I didn't do it again because I realized the next day what was happening and didn't like it. Although I admit, during my worst, sleepless withdrawals, I wondered if I drank some alcohol, would I go to sleep?......sometimes, my husband even would say, maybe I should try it (I wouldn't sleep for days on end and he felt sorry for me). But usually, I'd say to him only if I go one more night without any sleep at all...then thankfully, that night I would get a few hours...so I staved it off long enough to actually avoid using the alcohol.

So as they say, where there is benzos, alcohol is not far behind, even for non-drinkers like me.

The thing is, alcohol will boost the effects of benzos when they start to poop out on you. Some non-drinkers had taken it up during tolerance. One woman in the support group said that she met a doctor who outright admitted that benzos were really just concentrated "alcohol in a pill"....so if a doctor thinks benzos are ok then he is saying (whether he knows it or not) that daily drinking is an ok thing to do.

Now, I remember the measure of comparison was around 1 mg. Ativan=4 oz pure gin. So my daily dose was 8 oz. of gin. This was given to someone who didn't like alcohol...how ironic!

As you can see, the accidental addict is usually no better off than you, howard, when it comes to benzos.

So, I have to insist you do NOT blame yourself for any of this. Your past, although risky, is ancient history and would probably not make a difference in your current situation(as my past did not make a difference either!)

Old 04-23-2004, 11:12 AM   #48
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

No patience,

Be aware that Trazadone can also lose it's effectiveness over time and also has a withdrawal syndrome. Using it to get over a rough time right now is fine as long as it is doing it's job, but as soon as you feel better, I'd start thinking of tapering it...a nice, slow one, slower even than your doctor recommeds for good measure.

But I am glad for now you are getting some relief while you rid yourself of your former pills. Someday, I am sure you will get off all pills for good. Take it one day at a time; it's not a race but you can make it to the finish line and that's what's important!

Deeandees,

Don't worry....I know that is hard to do when you simply cannot sleep at all. I've been there and I can tell you, natural sleep will come back. It doesn't come back all at once, and sometimes is irregular for awhile. I remember some of my first sleeps after quitting my benzo as being very light and short....I could hear everything around me, yet I was extremely relaxed. When I would wake, I felt a bit refreshed. Sometimes I would be dreaming....dreaming was a big clue I had actually dosed off because sometimes I wasn't sure!! But the sleeps usually only lasted a short while....sometimes, as little as 10-15 minutes!

But eventually, those minutes became a half-hour; the half-hour became hours, etc.; going without alot of sleep for days turned into sleeping some everyday. Inbetween, I'd have a full night here and there. There was no specific pattern to predict.

It's a process which takes some time. You could go with the Trazadone, if it gets too tough, but it's always' best to let the brain do it's thing in it's own time. If you do take Trazadone, it should start at 50 mgs. from what I've heard, and 100 is average. I would be leary of anything above that since you want to not develop a dependance or tolerance to it.

Good luck to you; I know what you are going through and it's horrible to say the least....

Old 04-23-2004, 11:42 AM   #49
    no patience
    Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jennita
    No patience,

Be aware that Trazadone can also lose it's effectiveness over time and also has a withdrawal syndrome. Using it to get over a rough time right now is fine as long as it is doing it's job, but as soon as you feel better, I'd start thinking of tapering it...a nice, slow one, slower even than your doctor recommeds for good measure.

But I am glad for now you are getting some relief while you rid yourself of your former pills. Someday, I am sure you will get off all pills for good. Take it one day at a time; it's not a race but you can make it to the finish line and that's what's important!

Deeandees,

Don't worry....I know that is hard to do when you simply cannot sleep at all. I've been there and I can tell you, natural sleep will come back. It doesn't come back all at once, and sometimes is irregular for awhile. I remember some of my first sleeps after quitting my benzo as being very light and short....I could hear everything around me, yet I was extremely relaxed. When I would wake, I felt a bit refreshed. Sometimes I would be dreaming....dreaming was a big clue I had actually dosed off because sometimes I wasn't sure!! But the sleeps usually only lasted a short while....sometimes, as little as 10-15 minutes!

But eventually, those minutes became a half-hour; the half-hour became hours, etc.; going without alot of sleep for days turned into sleeping some everyday. Inbetween, I'd have a full night here and there. There was no specific pattern to predict.

It's a process which takes some time. You could go with the Trazadone, if it gets too tough, but it's always' best to let the brain do it's thing in it's own time. If you do take Trazadone, it should start at 50 mgs. from what I've heard, and 100 is average. I would be leary of anything above that since you want to not develop a dependance or tolerance to it.

Good luck to you; I know what you are going through and it's horrible to say the least....
    jennita i've been on trazadone for over a year 200 mgs and its never lost it effectiveness the way i see it is i got the sleep i needed to heal seeing how sleep is the best way to heal i'm now actually weaning my self down off it because i want natural sleep and all these other meds i take i cant wait to get off off i just feel if you need some help through a rough time thats what you gotta do if i wasnt on some of these meds i'd be a basket case i actually still have alot of issues but hopefully in time they will resolve their selves thanks so much for caring it means alot you're awesome to worry about someone you dont even know and with what i've been through i completly understand why you do thanks again kelleigh

Last edited by no patience; 04-23-2004 at 11:43 AM.

Old 04-23-2004, 06:33 PM   #50
    howard678
    Veteran

howard678 HB User

Jennita,

I see what you are saying. I agree that the drugs should not have been prescribed to me in the first place. They are too risky, my case not severe enough, but again I think my docs were ignorant and maybe lazy also, but not devious. And the doctors, from the get go, gave me what I asked for, and I am good at asking... And I liked my "little pills" as they helped me through the stress of a profession that most people could not or would not do. It is a "real world" that you may not want to experience. So I am on the same page as Mic and Kieth`s song, and honestly, think there are probably more in those forums that are also than lead on. But once a tone is set one is pressured to go with the flow or face criticism or "the swarm," to use internet terminology. Yes, it is nice not having the doctor anger to deal with, but I do not beat myself up either. I have taken a sound course of action to protect and regain my health and that is all I can do, one day at a time.

Old 04-23-2004, 08:57 PM   #51
    howard678
    Veteran

howard678 HB User

Kayleigh,

Am glad the Trazadone is helping you. I have searched near and far for horror stories about it but cannot find any. And if it had any big risks I am confident, that Jennita, who has done a lot of homework, would be slamming it... I may take it up if things get rough, but right now, antihistamine is an effective knock out when needed. Comes recommended, and no need to taper it like Trazadone. But this is all made easier by the slow Valium taper. Thank you Heather Ashton... :-)

Old 04-24-2004, 05:24 AM   #52
    no patience
    Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
    Kayleigh,

Am glad the Trazadone is helping you. I have searched near and far for horror stories about it but cannot find any. And if it had any big risks I am confident, that Jennita, who has done a lot of homework, would be slamming it... I may take it up if things get rough, but right now, antihistamine is an effective knock out when needed. Comes recommended, and no need to taper it like Trazadone. But this is all made easier by the slow Valium taper. Thank you Heather Ashton... :-)
    howard678 i never thought of taking antihistimine when im glad something is helping you and good luck on the valium taper are you almost through that? i want to thank you to for all your info on klonopin since i read all you told me i've been very careful about how musch i take thanx again kelleigh

Last edited by no patience; 04-24-2004 at 05:25 AM.

Old 04-24-2004, 11:24 AM   #53
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by no patience
    :
    jennita i've been on trazadone for over a year 200 mgs and its never lost it effectiveness the way i see it is i got the sleep i needed to heal seeing how sleep is the best way to heal i'm now actually weaning my self down off it because i want natural sleep and all these other meds i take i cant wait to get off off i just feel if you need some help through a rough time thats what you gotta do if i wasnt on some of these meds i'd be a basket case i actually still have alot of issues but hopefully in time they will resolve their selves thanks so much for caring it means alot you're awesome to worry about someone you dont even know and with what i've been through i completly understand why you do thanks again kelleigh
    I'm glad the Trazadone didn't poop out on you; I've heard a few people complaining about that. So your tapering may go more smoothly. Glad to hear you do want to be med free someday because there are alot of people who have done just that and have been successful. I do care and hope you will be able to do that someday.....like you said, sometimes you need help through a rough time and clearly getting off meds is just that. Take your time. Lots of luck to you; hopefully all of us will still be here on the boards so we can celebrate that day with you!

Old 04-24-2004, 11:30 AM   #54
    no patience
    Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
    I'm glad the Trazadone didn't poop out on you; I've heard a few people complaining about that. So your tapering may go more smoothly. Glad to hear you do want to be med free someday because there are alot of people who have done just that and have been successful. I do care and hope you will be able to do that someday.....like you said, sometimes you need help through a rough time and clearly getting off meds is just that. Take your time. Lots of luck to you; hopefully all of us will still be here on the boards so we can celebrate that day with you!
    thanks jennita it really means alot that you care so much all the support i've gotten from you and others is really helping me again i can't thank you enough for you're support luv kelleigh

Last edited by no patience; 04-24-2004 at 11:31 AM.

Old 04-24-2004, 11:58 AM   #55
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Jennita,

I see what you are saying. I agree that the drugs should not have been prescribed to me in the first place. They are too risky, my case not severe enough, but again I think my docs were ignorant and maybe lazy also, but not devious. And the doctors, from the get go, gave me what I asked for, and I am good at asking... And I liked my "little pills" as they helped me through the stress of a profession that most people could not or would not do. It is a "real world" that you may not want to experience. So I am on the same page as Mic and Kieth`s song, and honestly, think there are probably more in those forums that are also than lead on. But once a tone is set one is pressured to go with the flow or face criticism or "the swarm," to use internet terminology. Yes, it is nice not having the doctor anger to deal with, but I do not beat myself up either. I have taken a sound course of action to protect and regain my health and that is all I can do, one day at a time.

I'm glad you are not blaming yourself. I might be a bit hard on doctors because I feel they should know better, but I suppose really they can only go by what drug reps. tell them about the drugs. It's like this> we trust the doctors, and the doctors trust the drug companies. But still, some doctors insist they are right when they are clearly wrong and it's that attitude that kinda gripes me.....

Hey, did you mention you were a computer programmer? I wonder because that's what my sons is studying right now in college.

Old 04-24-2004, 11:59 AM   #56
    howard678
    Veteran

howard678 HB User

Kayleigh,

I have been tapering 3 months and have at least another 3 to go, perhaps 4 or 5. Longer if necessary, "the tortoise still wins the race." Antihistamine is a great sleep aid, and I am supposed to take it daily anyway for allergies, though I have not seen an allergist in years. I do not take it during the day because of drowsiness.

Old 04-24-2004, 12:00 PM   #57
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by no patience
    thanks jennita it really means alot that you care so much all the support i've gotten from you and others is really helping me again i can't thank you enough for you're support luv kelleigh
    (((((((kelleigh))))))))))))Big hug!!!

Old 04-24-2004, 12:10 PM   #58
    no patience
    Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

:
    Quote:
    (((((((kelleigh))))))))))))Big hug!!!
    awww! i needed that thank you

Last edited by no patience; 04-24-2004 at 12:11 PM.

Old 04-24-2004, 02:20 PM   #59
    howard678
    Veteran

howard678 HB User

Jennita,

I truly do not blame myself. One way or another, my requests for those meds should have been denied. When I recover one of my projects will be to work for reforms. I would like to see descriptions of the potentials in withdrawal syndromes, symptoms, longevity, in the pharm inserts. I read these and would not have swallowed the first Xanax had this been done.

Computer programmer? No mam. That should be a moonlight serenade compared to what I do. lol Nice paydays too. I am arguably in the highest stress profession in the country and not well compensated. I could tell you some stories. Just not my preference here on a public board and if there is a PM feature, I do not see it...

Old 04-24-2004, 06:59 PM   #60
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Oh, I thought since you mentioned computers/internet/something of that sort....

Wow, sorry you are stuck in such a stress-boiler, whatever it is!

Well, my son's boss is a dick. But this is only his part-time job while he goes through school, so he ignores his boss and just does his job...he's really the only one there who knows so much about computers as the rest of the staff are sales and accountants...and his boss is certainly not a computer whiz so my son sort of has the upper hand. Anyway, it seems he does yell at all his employees and they are super-stressed out because of it...my son already knew how to handle his type. My son walked out of the bosses' office one time while the boss was still yelling and it seems now the boss doesn't yell at him as much as the others My son won't yell back, ignores/makes his statements/answers and then just goes back to work.

Jobs are stressful enough without a pompous boss, right???? Job performance/employee loyalty has been evaluated as better when employees are treated better, so I don't know what my son's boss is thinking; well, my son said lots of people have already quit since he's been there, which hasn't been too long, soooo...

Anyway, hope this helps...((((((((((((howard)))))))))))))) hugs!

Closed Thread