It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• Stapedectormy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-29-2004, 04:37 PM   #121
    jodimarie75

jodimarie75 HB User
    Re: Stapedectormy

Hi Everyone,

It's been exactly 2 weeks since my surgery. I was concerned because the loudness has progressively decreased since having the packing removed. Not decreasing my hearing, just the echoe-y, harshness. Some high pitched things are still a little irritating. I called my dr. and she said that my hearing is just adjusting. I have literally no post-op effects anymore, aside from once in a while little twinges in my ear, and if I'm outside in the wind, that is a little bothersome. It's been VERY windy here too!
    I have literally no tinnitus. Had it before surgery. I get the blood rushing sound occasionally, but very rarely now. I feel really good and want to start exercising again...my dr. said I still have to take it easy...I'm getting fat! LOL!

Anyways, my hearing is probably 80-85% now (just guessing). It was 50% but I could hear nothing on a telephone. Now I can hear almost as good as my good ear...not quite as loud, but close. There still is a little distortion on the operated side....not as 'clean and clear' as the good side. But it seems to be getting a little better each day. I am very happy I went through with the procedure. The dr. said it should progressively get better as the time goes on so I am optimistic!

Oh, I have discovered that my husband snores! Never knew that! lol! And my cat wakes me up every morning now. He used to always bug my husband in the morning because I couldn't hear him meowing (cuz I always slept on my side w/ my bad ear up). Now I can hear him meowing every morning! Little brat!

jodi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2004, 06:03 PM   #122
    teamusafe1

teamusafe1 HB User
    Re: Stapedectomy

Thanks everyone for checking in and keeping us informed. I am a little closer on the progress scale to John at this point. Loud Tinnitus in the operated ear, popping in the ear (brand new, didn't have that til today). Estimate I hear at 50%, am not hearing the alarm clock in the morning anymore and always used to pre-op! I am still having some drainage from the ear as well. I went back to wearing cotton in the ear while I am using these ear drops. I read some of the old posts and I believe it was Zip2play that said there will be a day when you will finally go a whole day without thinking of your ear. I can't wait for that day!! Teamusafe

Old 04-30-2004, 05:27 AM   #123
    caz 406
    (female)

caz 406 HB User

Hi John,

I take 50mg of Nafril a day. I do take calcium tabs now and again - but tend to eat a fairly healthy diet as well. The medics never told me to take calcium and the Naf came from Germany with no English instructions but it would appear that the manufacturers of it do recommend a calcium supplement.

Having had some gynae treatment in the past that involved 6 months of no oestrogen I have been considered as 'at risk' of osteoporosis so have just had a bone density scan to check my skeleton is still ok. Will get the results this evening as I have an appt with the consultant and also a couple of hearing tests.

In what way could you not tolerate it? My consultant made it out to be horrendous which was how I found this website because I was desperate to know what others had experienced. I've found it burns like hell if I have anything acidic at the same time so I vary when I take it - also I don't take it with meals rich in calcium as it affects the body's absorption of the calcium. But overall I've been ok. Oh yeh - can't drink wine with it - bad experience!

Caz

Old 04-30-2004, 05:26 PM   #124
    jrhafer
    (male)

jrhafer HB User

Caz, I can't remember the amount I tried back in the 80s' but it was so much that I would get intestinal pains so bad, I ended up dropping it.

Then later I decided to try Florical, which is sold over the counter, (but you usually have to have the drug store order it for you). Florical is sold here in the US and is made by Mericon Industries, Inc., of Peoria, Illinois. Each capsul is 364 mg of Calcium Carbonate, and 8.3 mg of Sodium Fluoride. The calcium and fluoride work together, in theory anyway, to allow proper absorption into the bone.

The standard intake is one capsule per day but for Otosclerosis, I think they said to take up to 3 per day, but don't hold me to this.

At any rate, I found my system could really handle this brand and combination much better than the other ones I tried. I have since more or less stopped using it. No apparent reason, just felt it was a lot of money so spend and I never did see (hear) any results.

Hope this helps.

John

Old 05-01-2004, 07:19 AM   #125
    Piscean

Piscean HB User
    Unhappy Re: Stapedectormy

Hi all,

I am a 26 year old female and had stapedectomy (local anaesthesia)on April 8th in Shanghai, China. It is now 23 days post-op and everything seems worse than pre-op.

Actually the hearing improved dramatically during the surgery despite of the terrible sound of drilling and knocking (I kept awaken and guessing what they were doing on my poor ear)as well as some slight dizziness. I was expecting a wonderful improvement after the operation...but things were so disappointing. Although I hadn't experienced any dizziness, vertigo, headache or nausea, sounds are not LOUD, either. At first I thought it was because of the packing in the ear canal, but there was almost no improvement after the packing was taken out. Then I supposed that the lack of progress was due to blood clots, but they were cleared ... the hearing of the operated ear is still worse than the other one.

Pre-op there were otosclerosis bilateral of almost the same degree, but now the non-operated ear is obviously the better one. The Dr. said the wounds are recovering quite well (they cut through my ear canal), but she said she could not tell what happened behind the eardrum. A fork was used to test my hearing immediately after the packing was taken out, and seemed I can heard better than before. But the hearing decreased the next day and hasn't recovered till now.

I saw many people experienced annoying loud noise after their stapedectomy. I'm just wondering whether there's anyone who has the same problems as I do. Should I be a little bit more patient, since the Dr. asked me to have a hearing test on May 15th? What should I expect during this period?

Regards,

Piscean

Old 05-01-2004, 01:19 PM   #126
    jrhafer
    (male)

jrhafer HB User

Hi Piscean,

If you have been reading this board you will see many posts on post-op experiences. Although I am experiencing loud sounds through my ear, I don't think everyone did right after surgery.

Actually, I had a hearing test only two weeks post-op and my hearing tests showed worse hearing than before. The doctor said that he was not surprised and that this is about where he expected me to be at this early stage of healing. I am not a doctor but everything I am reading says that for the first month and more, hearing simply will not be normal, and that things should improve. So keep this in mind.

See this link: [url]http://www.umm.***/otolaryngology/otosclerosis2.html[/url]

The University of Maryland says that it may take up to 6 months for the hearing to improve and stabilize.

I am now one month post-op and today, for the first time, I think I see (or should I say hear) a glimmer of hope. Although my sounds are still hollow, and harsh, and mostly sound as if I am a cave, (plus I can hear myself talk through my ear), I think I am starting to sense some changes for the better. So maybe we all have to be more patient. I still regret having this done, but I am hoping that in 6 months, I will feel better about it. I am sure your hearing will improve soon.

So at 23 days post-op for you, it simply may be too early to tell much. As the veterans on the board keep saying, give it time.

So, I guess that means - hang in there!

John

Old 05-03-2004, 05:43 PM   #127
    teamusafe1

teamusafe1 HB User

Hey, John, we seem to be on about the same progress scale although I am a little behind you (I am just over 2 weeks post op). My hearing has definitely improved. My wife helped me clean out some of the "stuff" in my ear and each day I hear something new. Today for the first time I heard our refrigerator! I had no idea it hummed. Sounds are soooo loud now. It is amazing. I sat in a large conference room today and heard all but one person's conversation (he talks very low). I hear so much now it is a little overwhelming and as you say, driving is one loud experience. I am amazed at how much I did not hear before. The only bad side effect I have now is really loud tinnitus. It is extremely annoying. I am hoping it will subside. Just thought I'd post and say "lo and behold, the hearing doth returneth!" Teamusafe

Old 05-03-2004, 06:47 PM   #128
    dinamsu

dinamsu HB User

HI everyone,

I just want to send some reassurance your way. I had my surgery on Jan 14th of this year. It took awhile for things to get normal (actually better than normal!) It is hard for me to say exactly how long, but at least 2 months. I looked back and read everyone's posts from the past few weeks and I have to say I had so many of the exact post op symptoms. The loud, harsh, hollow sounds drove me crazy. Voices and sounds changed daily. I remember trying to explain how voices sounded as if they were in a synthesizer and even had the helium effect. After looking up symptoms on the internet I diagnosed my self with an esophagus problem because I was hearing my own voice and it sounds echoed as if I were in a cave.

The doctors say nothing about these specific symptoms, the only thing they told me was I may feel clogged for awhile. I was in no way prepared for all the other symptoms.

Now I could not be happier with the results. My life has changed dramatically. I even plan to get my other ear done one day. So hang
    in there, I know it is scary but I can say from experience it will get significantly better

Dina

Old 05-04-2004, 08:24 PM   #129
    jrhafer
    (male)

jrhafer HB User

Hi all and thanks for the updates.

Well an update: Things do seem to be changing more rapid for me now, each day, and for the better. The loud sounds seem to be more tolerable. I actally was able to drive with a window open for a while and not feel blasted away with noise. I can rattle some dishes and silverware and not cringe. My wife even sees that I am less irritable. I am hearing more sounds that I could never hear before.

I still have some hollow sounds, but they don't seem quite as bad, so I am hoping that they will improve even more. I also still hear myself talk which bothers me but I don't think it is as bad.

One interesting thing. I have been rubbing my fingers next to my ears as a quick test since the operation. They had a very muffled sound in my operated ear vs my other ear where I could hear more of a distinct cleaner sound. Now I am starting to hear that same better quality sound in my operated ear too. Not there yet but improving.

The best news was that I finally bit the bullet and tried wearing a pair of stereo head phones and very carefully turned on some soft music. Dreading that I would be totally disappointed, I was thrilled to hear how good the music sounded. It was even balanced center when I switched to mono. I would have thought that it would seem louder in my operated ear since all other sounds appear lounder there, and thought I would have to change the balance, but I did not have to. Weird, but I was very happy with the sound quality.

Teamusafe1, my tinnitus appears to be "stabilizing" and in fact, in the mornings, it is very faint. By evening, it is lounder but it is not as bad as it was. It sounds like a siren. I hope as my hearing improves, it will even getting less noticable, so I am sure yours will too.

So for the first month after the operation, things did not improve for me at all. Then exactly one month to the day after the surgery, I started to hear things improve. Each day seems to be a little better, but still slow. Hope the rest of you are (or will experience the same). Again, exactly one month seemed to be the "changing point" for me.

John

Old 05-09-2004, 05:12 PM   #130
    teamusafe1

teamusafe1 HB User

Good to hear, John! Glad you are doing better. I am doing better as well. I still have a lot of dried blood and such in my inner ear, but despite that I am definitely hearing better! I go back to the doctor this Friday so hopefully he will clean it up. He was so adamnant about me not sticking anything down into my ear that I have just left it alone. I still have the same tinnitus pattern as you, not so bad in the morning, loud at night. I am getting used to it, and it is not quiet as bad as it was at first. I am hoping that as my ear stabilizes it will go away. What I am hoping is that the doc will release my water restrictions after the appt. I fly to Vegas next Sunday (that has me a little concerned, but the doc early on said it should be okay as I will have passed the 1 month mark). I am hoping that once I get back from Vegas, I can basically resume a normal life and my ear will go back to being just another piece of my body that I don't really think about! Thanks everyone for keeping up the posts, it has been very helpful throughout my recovery.

Teamusafe

Old 06-01-2004, 06:52 PM   #131
    teamusafe1

teamusafe1 HB User

Everyone from our group seems to be doing much better now. I know I am much much better. I flew after one month and let me tell you it was a weird experience on my first flight. My ear popped uncontrollably until the plane finally got pressurized correctly. The other 3 flights I had were not bad at all. I should be free of my water restrictions this week (after 2 months) so I am glad for that. The operation was a complete success for me and I love being able to hear. It has been wonderful in meetings and around the house. Hope everyone is doing well! Thanks to all for the posts, it was most helpful. Team

Old 06-15-2004, 06:23 AM   #132
    Richard.n
    (male)

Richard.n HB User

Hi,

I have really benefited from reading your posts. I am 30 and have otosclerosis in both ears and I have been recommended to have a stapedectomy.

My consultant is a Mr I Donaldson at the Selly Oak Hospital in Birmingham, has anyone else seen him ?

I was really looking for experiences of people in the UK as to how things went for you.

I am presently wearing a hearing aid and I am still struggling to hear people properly.

I am really worried about things going wrong and being completely deaf.

Can anyone help ??

Richard

Old 06-15-2004, 07:20 AM   #133
    caz 406
    (female)

caz 406 HB User
    Smile Re: Stapedectormy

Hi Richard,

Nice to see a local person on here! I live in Walsall and saw a Mr. Turner at Little Aston Hosp and he also works at the Manor Hosp in Walsall.

Had my stap 2 years ago and I was terrified of losing my hearing altogether. There is a risk of it which they are morally and legally obliged to advise you; but it's a very small risk.

As you may have read above my stap was not successful because the oto is all around the cochlear but I understand this is fairly rare.
    The norm is for people to undergo surgery then feel groggy for the following couple of weeks but ususally within a month they are starting to hear the benefits and are usually amazed at sounds they had forgotten or never realised existed.

I think preparing for any kind of surgery is daunting and scary but if it all works out ok - and the success rate of this op is pretty good - then you should go for it, but please keep us informed of how you get on.

Have you got a date for your op? Has the consultant suggested taking fluoride after the op?

Speak soon,
    Caz

Old 07-02-2004, 04:04 AM   #134
    AnaO

AnaO HB User
    Thumbs down Re: Stapedectormy

I had the operation about 3 months ago - before the operation I could hear my heartbeat in my ear, after the operation it was wonderful as I could no longer hear my heartbeat. The operation was successful but I have started hearing my heartbeat again about a week ago! One of the main reasons I had the operation was because the heartbeat was driving me mad. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

Ana

Old 11-19-2004, 12:27 PM   #135
    Tharma

Tharma HB User

Hi Theresa,

Is it possible to get Laser Stapedotomy repeated incase if the first surgery goes as failure to improve hearing? I heard even good surgery would help hearing only for 10 to 15 years. If it is true is it possible to get the surgery redone after 15 years?

Regards
    Tharma

Last edited by Tharma; 11-26-2004 at 08:42 AM.

Closed Thread