It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• when does it end

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-01-2004, 06:23 AM   #91
    no patience
    Senior Veteran

no patience HB User
    Re: when does it end

Quote:
    Originally Posted by howard678
    <
    Wish I could predict this all for you but when it comes to benzos, who knows...why, I've even heard of a few people not having withdrawals but boy that's pretty rare. The reason the panic came back after you tried not taking one is because you simply can't do that and expect to feel nothing because that's cold turkey which always causes that. But if you really do a super slow taper when the time comes to get off, you may only feel a little bad. You do have the advantage of not being on it for very long....which brings me to the question, why does your doctor want to extend that time? The recommended time on benzos according to the drug companies is usually only 2 weeks; 1 month should be plenty.>> Jennita

I am one more case you have heard of that quit with no withdrawals, 8 months, .5 mgs of Xanax = the same with Klonopin, ran out of pills, was off 3 months with no problems at all. I just did not want to bother going to the doc to get more. Was using Benadryl for sleep but the sleep problems pre-dated the benzos. Got the typical winter flu, went in for some anti-biotics and decided to ask for some Xanax. Got it. Four months later quit again for 10 days, only to save pills in case I needed extras on vacation, do not sleep well in strange beds. Again, no withdrawals, and with the very short half-life of Xanax, chances are excellent that if I was going to feel something I would have within 10 days. I just had no interest in quitting for good as I was ignorant of the potential withdrawal syndromes, severity, longevity. One would have a ways to go to sell me on the idea that my case is "pretty rare." I would also have difficulty with the idea that cases where people that stop in 2 to 4 weeks with no problems, which is the recommended use time frame in the U.S. & the U.K., is in any way rare. What I would think would be rare is your story about the man that had surgery, used benzos and opiates in that setting, and came out addicted. But I do not know how long he was in the hospital on the drugs... I am aware of no research to illustrate that benzos create anything like instant addiction in even the majority that take them. A quote from Breggin would not surprise me, but actually about nothing would. This man is obviously a crusader...

If Kay Leigh comes off Klonopin in a month and still has panic attacks then these episodes cannot be fairly attributed to benzos as the condition pre-existed. Tapering is a pain in the butt and expensive if you do not have good insurance, cutting pills, carrying them around, monthly doctor visits. There is no point in this if it is not necessary. And her panic problem, just as like my sleep problem, will have to be addressed. Benzos did not cause these in our cases, and I do not believe they magically go away when ceasing the drugs unless other therapies are employed in the interim. Why? Because it makes no sense. Plus, if she embarks on one of these one year or so tapers that are so often recommended she could become addicted in the process while at the present time she is not.
    hey howard hope everything is well keep up the good work and thaks for all your help kelleigh

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2004, 10:51 AM   #92
    howard678
    Veteran

howard678 HB User

Rosie Tree,

Am quite sorry I missed your post and did not reply right away. You are feeling it, normal. Heather Ashton is a good scientist, seems to try to be objective, and chooses her words carefully, but she is not God. What might be considered "barbariac," IMO, is the cold turkey part, not the Phenobarb. A non-benzo, sedative, ant-seizure med is advisable if one is to cold turkey off benzos. Phenobarb use short term is not a bad choice. Keeps withdrawals in check, gets one over the initial hump. But you are poly addicted, opiates in the mix, and I do not believe everyone has the discipline to taper. How long have you been off all the drugs at this point?? I want to know more. Also it may not be easy to distinguish between your opiate and benzo withdrawals at this point... How long did you take benzos? Did you take them daily? You may not be addicted to them at all, but just opiates. You may want to seriously consider toughing this one out rather than going back on benzos, especially if you do not have to work. If I had it to do over I would have done just that. I worked through my cold turkey and saw real relief at about 2 weeks off, but a stressful week followed and tremors and muscle tension really flared up. Pills were in the house and I caved in. If I had it to do over, I would have flushed the pills as so many had advised me, then in all likelihood I would be fine right now and not having to bother tapering, not to mention the extra money I am spending.

As to "protracted withdrawals," this is defined differently by different people. For Ashton it means withdrawal symptoms beyond 18 months, occuring in about 15% of cases according to her, but I have also read that she did not follow her patients up past a year... Is mystery on this one. But this by no means means that you would feel like you do now for that long. And she only states that cold turkeying increases the likelihood of the situation, is no guarantee of it, could happen also with a slow taper. But worrying about something that may or may not happen is certainly not good for our psychological health... You have chosen a course of action. Trying another avenue at this point may not be the best move.

P.S.
    You mentioned in an earlier post that you liked Ambien. The chemical composition of this drug is very close to benzos, it is addictive, has a withdrawal syndrome, and is also made for short term use only. Beware, that and Sonata.

Last edited by howard678; 05-01-2004 at 01:58 PM.

Old 05-01-2004, 03:35 PM   #93
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    <
    Wish I could predict this all for you but when it comes to benzos, who knows...why, I've even heard of a few people not having withdrawals but boy that's pretty rare. The reason the panic came back after you tried not taking one is because you simply can't do that and expect to feel nothing because that's cold turkey which always causes that. But if you really do a super slow taper when the time comes to get off, you may only feel a little bad. You do have the advantage of not being on it for very long....which brings me to the question, why does your doctor want to extend that time? The recommended time on benzos according to the drug companies is usually only 2 weeks; 1 month should be plenty.>> Jennita

I am one more case you have heard of that quit with no withdrawals, 8 months, .5 mgs of Xanax = the same with Klonopin, ran out of pills, was off 3 months with no problems at all. I just did not want to bother going to the doc to get more. Was using Benadryl for sleep but the sleep problems pre-dated the benzos. Got the typical winter flu, went in for some anti-biotics and decided to ask for some Xanax. Got it. Four months later quit again for 10 days, only to save pills in case I needed extras on vacation, do not sleep well in strange beds. Again, no withdrawals, and with the very short half-life of Xanax, chances are excellent that if I was going to feel something I would have within 10 days. I just had no interest in quitting for good as I was ignorant of the potential withdrawal syndromes, severity, longevity. One would have a ways to go to sell me on the idea that my case is "pretty rare." I would also have difficulty with the idea that cases where people that stop in 2 to 4 weeks with no problems, which is the recommended use time frame in the U.S. & the U.K., is in any way rare. What I would think would be rare is your story about the man that had surgery, used benzos and opiates in that setting, and came out addicted. But I do not know how long he was in the hospital on the drugs... I am aware of no research to illustrate that benzos create anything like instant addiction in even the majority that take them. A quote from Breggin would not surprise me, but actually about nothing would. This man is obviously a crusader...

If Kay Leigh comes off Klonopin in a month and still has panic attacks then these episodes cannot be fairly attributed to benzos as the condition pre-existed. Tapering is a pain in the butt and expensive if you do not have good insurance, cutting pills, carrying them around, monthly doctor visits. There is no point in this if it is not necessary. And her panic problem, just as like my sleep problem, will have to be addressed. Benzos did not cause these in our cases, and I do not believe they magically go away when ceasing the drugs unless other therapies are employed in the interim. Why? Because it makes no sense. Plus, if she embarks on one of these one year or so tapers that are so often recommended she could become addicted in the process while at the present time she is not.
    Hey howard,

True, that man was not addicted after his hospital stay but had become a bit dependant on the drugs; his natural sleep patterns effected mainly.
    It is entirely possible in 2 weeks as we have read, especially with cold turkey as he was. However, he is already, in just a few months, alot better and almost back to normal sleep and anxiety has already passed. He may have been better sooner had he not tried some Ambien, then Zoloft as per his doctor's urging after he still had some insomnia for 3 weeks...when the brain is trying to recover, other drugs, even for a few nights or a week, may delay proper healing.

But at any rate, his suffering did not last long but if I hadn't talked to him, he may have again resorted to whatever magical drug the doctor had to offer him after the failure of Zoloft, or he may have stayed on it like his doc wanted him to and then who knows if he would still be having trouble now.

He told my husband we saved his life! I suppose that's over stated a bit, but he really meant it, he is doing so well now!

I don't think no patience will be absolutly certain of no lingering drug effects after only a month as even mild cases can linger for a few months; however, you have a point about the pre-existing panic which if the source of that is still around(whether external, emotional, etc), then it must be sorted out.

Yes, you are also right about protracted withdrawals as they get weaker and weaker as time goes, then finally exit. For example, there was a time when a "bad" night for me was no sleep at all; then later, a "bad" night's "definition" became only 2 hours sleep. Even later, 4 hours became the definition of a bad night. In contrast, early withdrawals meant no sleep for days. So when in protracted withdrawals, you are right, that condition changes quite a bit!!

Benzos don't always cause original condition, but they can worsen it. Sometimes, original condition would have went away (depending!), or may have already gone by the time one is in too deep with benzos. I think that's why I read of some people who were very surprised that after their withdrawals were over, their original panic/sleep problems did not come back. They assumed whatever was causing it in the beginning was no longer around because they wondered why it never returned.

But for some, the original reason is still around. This is why kelligh must continue some sort of therapy to figure this out, even after withdrawals. A full physical, some psychotherapy or even CBT may eliminate that original cause, if it is indeed still around. And of course, there should not be a years' worth of tapering for such a short run and lower dose as she is on. A few months should be ok; however, it's no race and she should go as slow/fast as she feels is ok.

Last edited by Jennita; 05-01-2004 at 03:40 PM.

Old 05-01-2004, 04:52 PM   #94
    howard678
    Veteran

howard678 HB User

Jennita,

It is refreshing finding someone like yourself that can stand some disagreement without getting defensive and personal. :-) Kay Leigh`s case is not easy as opiates and panic issues are also on the table, so what may be quickly attributed to benzos may be something else. I hate these drugs as much as anyone but insist on trying to be objective. Some of this relates to my academic training.

I think a lot of tapering problems are related to the fear of tapering rather than the tapering itself. Ashton alludes to this. I feel it but cut 1.25 mgs a week and remain thus far plenty functional. And "plenty functional" is my definition of stable. And have no plans of taking 20 weeks to bust out the last 10 mgs, though I remain open minded on it. Stringing out a taper too long leaves one more prone to get hit more and more from two directions, reduction and tolerance withdrawals.

I have a hard time personally viewing insomnia as a withdrawal symptom. The problem is no worse now than it was 10 years ago, long before benzos. I recall Janik, and no offense to him if he reads this, speaking of taking 5 months to taper off of .25 mgs of Xanax, this over insomnia. That is unimagineable to me. That equates to 5 mgs of Valium. I know it is relative to some degree by that is just not much benzo. I plan to take the plunge at 2 or 3 mgs, especially if I am already feeling it, see no point in tapering pinches that only partially postpone the inevitable, some discomfort for a while.

As to Kay Leigh, well I think the discussion regarding her tapering will probably prove moot in the end, as I strongly suspect she will take her doctor`s advice and keep taking her pretty high dose of Klonopin for a while long, and then will need to taper. My suggestion I guess about 10 days ago was to ditch the stuff but I do not think that is going to happen. I never had a panic attack pre-benzo. Last one I had was in detox last Nov. I think some of the reason is that I am no longer afraid of them. I used to think they were heart attacks but all my tests in that area are normal. I know what they are, what they feel like, and what they can and cannot do. If I have one, I`ll just have it and if by chance I am in public I will excuse myself for a while. I am not looking for them or expecting them.

Last edited by howard678; 05-01-2004 at 04:54 PM.

Old 05-02-2004, 12:39 AM   #95
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Jennita,

It is refreshing finding someone like yourself that can stand some disagreement without getting defensive and personal. :-) Kay Leigh`s case is not easy as opiates and panic issues are also on the table, so what may be quickly attributed to benzos may be something else. I hate these drugs as much as anyone but insist on trying to be objective. Some of this relates to my academic training.

I think a lot of tapering problems are related to the fear of tapering rather than the tapering itself. Ashton alludes to this. I feel it but cut 1.25 mgs a week and remain thus far plenty functional. And "plenty functional" is my definition of stable. And have no plans of taking 20 weeks to bust out the last 10 mgs, though I remain open minded on it. Stringing out a taper too long leaves one more prone to get hit more and more from two directions, reduction and tolerance withdrawals.

I have a hard time personally viewing insomnia as a withdrawal symptom. The problem is no worse now than it was 10 years ago, long before benzos. I recall Janik, and no offense to him if he reads this, speaking of taking 5 months to taper off of .25 mgs of Xanax, this over insomnia. That is unimagineable to me. That equates to 5 mgs of Valium. I know it is relative to some degree by that is just not much benzo. I plan to take the plunge at 2 or 3 mgs, especially if I am already feeling it, see no point in tapering pinches that only partially postpone the inevitable, some discomfort for a while.

As to Kay Leigh, well I think the discussion regarding her tapering will probably prove moot in the end, as I strongly suspect she will take her doctor`s advice and keep taking her pretty high dose of Klonopin for a while long, and then will need to taper. My suggestion I guess about 10 days ago was to ditch the stuff but I do not think that is going to happen. I never had a panic attack pre-benzo. Last one I had was in detox last Nov. I think some of the reason is that I am no longer afraid of them. I used to think they were heart attacks but all my tests in that area are normal. I know what they are, what they feel like, and what they can and cannot do. If I have one, I`ll just have it and if by chance I am in public I will excuse myself for a while. I am not looking for them or expecting them.
    Thanks, howard. Well, we all have our individual views, experiences, and collection of information. For example, if you don't like Breggin, that's ok although I think he's a pioneer; Dr. Ann Tracy has been warning about SSRi's, inaccurate disclosures in clinical testing, etc. for 14 years now finally the mainstream media and the FDA have discovered it for themselves so I admire her too but you don't have to just because I do....but we both have Ashton so at least that's something, huh?

I believe Janik's experience because you really never know about these drugs...I remember one poor woman had horrible insomnia over letting go of just 3 mgs. Valium in the support group at the end of her taper...I forgot what she started on.

She would give up too soon and take it again then try not to...very irregular and soon the 3 mgs. stopped working. I tried to tell her she did not give natural sleep enough time and she kept giving in to more Valium after a few days, then she'd get mad at herself and try to not take any. She never stayed on course. She stopped writing so I don't know what happened to her but she was in bad shape, passing out at work, losing her job, etc...all over 3 mgs. Valium!

So I know some of this is hard to believe but sometimes you never know. That's why I don't think the drugs should be taken so lightly. I know some people can take them and then leave them but it's such a risky business...like you said, if you had known how risky you wouldn't have chanced it. Neither would I have!

Your insomnia was different than mine's or Janiks. You would be so jealous of my sleep history I don't know if I should tell you about it. Well, suffice to say it was excellent. Benzos took that away. I got most of it back; at 3+ years off, it's not back to my pre-benzo sleep but that's ok as I am still, unbelievable as it would seem at this point, improving steadily. I remember once a very nice woman e-mailed me in the group, an old-timer who was back to normal sleep and said it took 5 years for that to happen for her....during that time, she began to sleep well, but it took longer for it to become consistant and whole again. In other words, back to old consistancy and reliability.

That's an aweful amount of time to have to wait for something that was taken away from you so needlessly. This is what is so disgusting about all this...needless suffering.

I think your insomnia is a different story. I hope after benzos you can do something to help it. I do know good diet and exercise really helps but I also know there can be more to it, so I hope you can figure it all out.

I don't know if I'm right, but it also sounds like the panic stuff is on it's way out with you. I think you've passed it up already; if any does appear again I'm sure it will be short lived. Hurray!!!

I think you were right about kelleigh; maybe should have stopped the klonopin sooner, but she has to do what she feels is best and she was also battling methadone problems. At least she has the information she needs now to get through everything ok....that does really make a difference.

Old 05-02-2004, 05:43 AM   #96
    no patience
    Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

howard and jennita thank you for all the information you 2 have shared when i first went on klonopin i think 3 to 4 weeks ago i never would have known how horrible this med no drug really was i would have been nieve to it just like to methadone i can't wait to go to my prescriber tuesday and see just how much she is aware of you 2 have educated me so much just by chatting back and forth see the problem with the klonopin they think it's an underlying anxiety disorder because tomorrow will be 3 months off methadone and i still have aniexty symptoms which some say is normal and some say is not i've reasearched and reasearched about methadone w/d and anxiety and all i find is conflicting research so i'm stuck do i have an anxiety disorder or is it still from the physchological w/d of methadone you 2 are so well educated if you could help me in that department i'd be greatful thank you 2 kelleigh

Last edited by no patience; 05-02-2004 at 05:44 AM.

Old 05-02-2004, 08:34 AM   #97
    no patience
    Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karla
    I just quit using the duragesic patch. I have been on opiates for 5 years. I am having increased anxiety attachs also. My dr put me on a low dose of xanax for the anxiety and upped my antidepressent to also help. Good luck in staying of the methadone.
    thank you karla what were you on the duragesic patch for

Old 05-02-2004, 08:37 AM   #98
    no patience
    Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

howard i meant to ask how your taper is going and if your sleep is still in alittle bit of chaos hope all is well thanks again for all your help kelleigh

Old 05-02-2004, 10:44 AM   #99
    howard678
    Veteran

howard678 HB User

<>

I am not familiar with this doctor, but if it is the drug companies that can be proven to have given inaccurate disclosures in clinical trials then many should be on their way to some successful lawsuits. I know someone that piggy backed on a Phen Phen lawsuit and she is healthy as a horse, strutting about buying designer clothes and every luxury item imagineable. Wish I had got a script of that, just never had a weight problem...

<>

I do not know what this woman was thinking. Valium loses it`s real effectiveness as a sleep aid in about a month or two according to many and that was the case with me. I had real trouble keeping my eyes open at work on several occasions for about two weeks, then I loaded up the night dose reducing the day. Now, four months later, it may push me along a bit if I am already tired before bed, that`s it. I would still contend that 3 mgs. of Valium amounts to about nothing and should not be expected to do much. She may have been doing some serious updosing, thus the passing out at work. Who knows.

No personal offense toward anyone, but I have read all personal accounts on the net with a grain of salt. We do not know these people from Adam or necessarily the whole story about their histories. I do know this, I have gotten a few on the phone that were no doubt way out there, real mental problems that may well have pre-dated benzos. A couple contradicted themselves about every 10 minutes. Benzos are regularly prescribed to such individuals, but when the focus is on attributing all or about all symptoms/problems to benzos this rarely comes out...

As to the people on this board, that are coming off opiates, taking SSRIs and benzos, I just do not know what to say, or how to unravel it all. And frankly, do not have much faith in their doctors, especially if they are psychiatrists, to do likewise. I have just told my doctor what I want to do, get off benzos period, no SSRIs for me please, and he is doing all he can to help. I like him.

Last edited by howard678; 05-02-2004 at 11:01 AM.

Old 05-02-2004, 11:20 AM   #100
    howard678
    Veteran

howard678 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by no patience
    howard i meant to ask how your taper is going and if your sleep is still in alittle bit of chaos hope all is well thanks again for all your help kelleigh
    Hello. I am doing good, am cut to 12.5 mgs of Valium a day. In Klonopin terms that is .625. I just keep pressing on, have an excellent doc in my corner. I am prepared to feel pain and discomfort if it comes, am no stranger to it, part of the price to pay. Sleep? No problem on the weekends as I can be my night owl self. My job however requires early risings so during the week I either function on less sleep or use Benadryl. I do not have sleepless nights. How are you doing?

Last edited by howard678; 05-02-2004 at 11:22 AM.

Old 05-02-2004, 12:37 PM   #101
    no patience
    Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
    Hello. I am doing good, am cut to 12.5 mgs of Valium a day. In Klonopin terms that is .625. I just keep pressing on, have an excellent doc in my corner. I am prepared to feel pain and discomfort if it comes, am no stranger to it, part of the price to pay. Sleep? No problem on the weekends as I can be my night owl self. My job however requires early risings so during the week I either function on less sleep or use Benadryl. I do not have sleepless nights. How are you doing?
    i'm doing ok that's great that you have an excellent doc in your corner at my appointment tuesday i'll know just how great mine is due to you and jennita i have alot of klonopin questions for her and her responses will let me know what i'm in for. i'm sorry i thought you were having trouble sleeping thats why i asked if every thing was getting better in the sleep department. am i correct that you are going to school and working if so that's gotta be tough with the valium taper you are going through just checking in as for my situation to me it's still unresolved due to the fact of being on so many meds when i am med free i will finally change my user name to all the patience in the world lol keep in touch and keep up the great work you are now a role model to me i know it sounds wierd but you are kelleigh

Last edited by no patience; 05-02-2004 at 12:38 PM.

Old 05-02-2004, 08:44 PM   #102
    howard678
    Veteran

howard678 HB User

Quote:

you are now a role model to me i know it sounds wierd but you are kelleigh
    Kelleigh I hope I can live up to that. Am still a good ways from the finish line. The personal cost here, still unknown, I take it a day at a time. One thing is for sure though, I will eventually be free of benzodiazepines and will not look back.

Old 05-02-2004, 11:35 PM   #103
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    <>

I am not familiar with this doctor, but if it is the drug companies that can be proven to have given inaccurate disclosures in clinical trials then many should be on their way to some successful lawsuits. I know someone that piggy backed on a Phen Phen lawsuit and she is healthy as a horse, strutting about buying designer clothes and every luxury item imagineable. Wish I had got a script of that, just never had a weight problem...

<>

I do not know what this woman was thinking. Valium loses it`s real effectiveness as a sleep aid in about a month or two according to many and that was the case with me. I had real trouble keeping my eyes open at work on several occasions for about two weeks, then I loaded up the night dose reducing the day. Now, four months later, it may push me along a bit if I am already tired before bed, that`s it. I would still contend that 3 mgs. of Valium amounts to about nothing and should not be expected to do much. She may have been doing some serious updosing, thus the passing out at work. Who knows.

No personal offense toward anyone, but I have read all personal accounts on the net with a grain of salt. We do not know these people from Adam or necessarily the whole story about their histories. I do know this, I have gotten a few on the phone that were no doubt way out there, real mental problems that may well have pre-dated benzos. A couple contradicted themselves about every 10 minutes. Benzos are regularly prescribed to such individuals, but when the focus is on attributing all or about all symptoms/problems to benzos this rarely comes out...

As to the people on this board, that are coming off opiates, taking SSRIs and benzos, I just do not know what to say, or how to unravel it all. And frankly, do not have much faith in their doctors, especially if they are psychiatrists, to do likewise. I have just told my doctor what I want to do, get off benzos period, no SSRIs for me please, and he is doing all he can to help. I like him.
    Oh, sorry howard, I mispelled her name, the doctor. It's Dr. Anne Tracy and she has a site running for some years now.

Yeh, as far as personal stories on the net you have to sort of one-eye them as sometimes you can't be sure. The man who had the surgery though, as I mentioned, my husband knew personally. But others who come on the support groups are mixed; some accidental addicts who are perfectly normal like you and I; others do seem to have some previous mental and/or possibly prior street drug and/or alcohol abuse histories. So yes, it's ok to read and help one another but I think best to keep it safe and not always be giving out phone numbers and other personal info.

Yes, I did wonder about the woman who wrote me; seems Valium did help her sleep for awhile but she didn't realize the whole tolerance problems with benzos....

Lawsuits over the SSRi's would be great if only what the drugs co's did was illegal...it wasn't if you can believe it! But it is now creating alot of bad press for them which could prove to be worse for them than paying off any lawsuits.

Well, I'm glad to hear you are not going to consider SSRi's as they also come with a pandora's box of problems.

Old 05-02-2004, 11:38 PM   #104
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    howard and jennita thank you for all the information you 2 have shared when i first went on klonopin i think 3 to 4 weeks ago i never would have known how horrible this med no drug really was i would have been nieve to it just like to methadone i can't wait to go to my prescriber tuesday and see just how much she is aware of you 2 have educated me so much just by chatting back and forth see the problem with the klonopin they think it's an underlying anxiety disorder because tomorrow will be 3 months off methadone and i still have aniexty symptoms which some say is normal and some say is not i've reasearched and reasearched about methadone w/d and anxiety and all i find is conflicting research so i'm stuck do i have an anxiety disorder or is it still from the physchological w/d of methadone you 2 are so well educated if you could help me in that department i'd be greatful thank you 2 kelleigh
    The answer is pretty simple. If you did not have anxiety before any drugs, methadone or whatever, it's not underlying because it never existed in the first place, it was drug-induced. If you did have previous problems before any intro to drugs, that previous panic issue could still be outdated/no longer relevant/has passed. So it will take some therapy and discovery to sort it all out if that's the case.

Old 05-03-2004, 02:11 AM   #105
    DannDees
    (female)

DannDees HB User

kayleigh, Hi...I feel great but I am not completely normal yet I do still get a little anxiety but less now that I am getting some sleep. The thing is that since I now know what it is , it doesn't scare me as much..I know yours might be much harder then mine but try to talking to yourself as they are happening..3 mo. is along time but you went c/t from 50mg. I would give it some more time..How often are you having the anxiety..are they attacks or are is it constant? mine come as attacks and last 10 to 20 minutes..
    Jennita, I took your advice and only had to take a half of amitrypilene 1 night to sleep. My sleep came back exactly as you described. Minutes to half hours, half hours to hours..I am getting about 5 to 6 hours now and am extremely grateful.. before the withdraw I would have felt deprived with only 5 to 6 hous since I have always been one that loves my sleep and I demanded at least 8 hours..The only pill I now take is my thyroid med..I want to start exercising as I truly believe you know what you are talking about. I made an appointment 4 months ago ( the wait is that long ) to get a shock in the ear to quit smoking. The date just happens to be this tues.I have to fly to st. louis as this is the only place in u.s. to do it. Geez, if this works I will be completely free from any substance having some control over me..Suppose to have a 95% success rate..I found out about it on 20/20....I am so exicted. When I made the appointment I thought hey it might help me with the methadone also, I never thought I would be off of it before the appt. Gods plan for me was different then my own..So much thanks to you for all your knowledge..I am sure you will be needed on this board time and time again..hope you never get tired of helping people.Noone around me could imagine what I was going through. I wished I found this board early in my withdraws. I actually found myself on a pro mehadone board with people telling me to stay on it. It was completely safe on al body organs..Is the brain an organ..lol...Guess it isn't as important to them as it is to me.sorry post is so long..I am off to get my SLEPP>>hehe

Closed Thread