It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board

• Waiting on Hepatitis test results...need some advice

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-01-2004, 06:47 PM   #1
    rustifer

rustifer HB User
    Waiting on Hepatitis test results...need some advice

Hi all,

For the past 5 weeks I've been really run down with come and go cold-like symptoms. The last 2 weeks it's been really bad with fever (only at night), night sweats, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat, sinus, cough, and very very fatigued. I've been working through it and didn't miss but 2 days of work but I finally went to the doc.

After some blood tests, he said I had elevated liver enzymes (or something like that). They are now doing a specific test for hepatitis and mono and a few other things.

The reason I'm a bit concerned is I had a one-weekend stand with a woman around March 6/7. We didn't use protection all the time so I find the fact that my symptoms started 3 weeks later and continue to get worse a bit disconcerting.

My mom seems to think I was given hepatitis shots as a kid but I'm not too sure about that nor am I sure of what kinds.

I got tested for HIV 7 weeks out from the sexual encounter and it was negative and I'm pretty sure this isn't some primary HIV infection since it's been so persistent for 5 weeks and keeps getting worse.

Anybody here with hepatitis experience that this post might ring a bell with?

Thanks

RC

Last edited by rustifer; 05-01-2004 at 06:50 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2004, 06:46 AM   #2
    sean
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User
    Re: Waiting on Hepatitis test results...need some advice

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rustifer
    Hi all,

For the past 5 weeks I've been really run down with come and go cold-like symptoms. The last 2 weeks it's been really bad with fever (only at night), night sweats, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat, sinus, cough, and very very fatigued. I've been working through it and didn't miss but 2 days of work but I finally went to the doc.

After some blood tests, he said I had elevated liver enzymes (or something like that). They are now doing a specific test for hepatitis and mono and a few other things.

The reason I'm a bit concerned is I had a one-weekend stand with a woman around March 6/7. We didn't use protection all the time so I find the fact that my symptoms started 3 weeks later and continue to get worse a bit disconcerting.

My mom seems to think I was given hepatitis shots as a kid but I'm not too sure about that nor am I sure of what kinds.

I got tested for HIV 7 weeks out from the sexual encounter and it was negative and I'm pretty sure this isn't some primary HIV infection since it's been so persistent for 5 weeks and keeps getting worse.

Anybody here with hepatitis experience that this post might ring a bell with?

Thanks

RC
    Hi

The hep vaccine you may have gotten as an infant (depending how old you are) would have been for hep B. It usually grants sufficient immunity.
    That leaves A and C among the common heps. A is transmissable by sex, and usually has an acute phase with symptoms that could resemble what you have. C is less transmissable, and it seems rare from woman to man, but its possible. It also less often has a noticeable acute phase, but that is also possible.

All in all, it doesn't really sound all that much like hep, but that's what the tests are for. Lots of things can elevate liver enzymes, although I agree that hep is a likely suspect in many cases.

Don't worry. Even if it is hep, the greatest danger of these viruses came in the years before we had good tests, and people went on drinking and abusing their livers for decades, not realizing the harm they were doing themselves. Now, we know better, and hep is often completely manageable.
    I've had hep c for forty years, and I'm still pretty healthy. (Bald, though. Don't know what to do about that.)

Relax. If the tests do come back positive, write us back and let's talk further.

Til then, rest and recover.

sean

Closed Thread