It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Defeat Acne With Diet

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-01-2003, 08:16 AM   #1
    Convalescing Acne Victim

Convalescing Acne Victim HB User
    Exclamation Defeat Acne With Diet

Been suffering from severe cystic acne for nearly one-third of my life (am currently 25). Recently adopted the following diet, and the results have been remarkable.

Before I proceed, one essential piece of advice must be dropped. If you've been antibiotics, I solemnly urge you to get off of them without delay, and restore healthy populations of friendly bacteria in your digestive tract by consuming some unpasteurized sauerkraut each day. Be conscious that antibiotics, as the name connotes, destroy life. Not only do they destroy bad bacteria, they destroy good bacteria in the digestive tract. The friendly bacteria are needed for the effective digestion, assimilation, and metabolism of foods and nutrients.

If the pateint would beat acne, no more than 15% of calories should derive from carbohydrates and no more than 25% of calories should derive from proteins; the balance ought to derive from quality fats (animal fats, olive oil, cocunut oil). Do not consume vegetable oils other than extra virgin live oil; hydrogentaed oils are poison.

Carbohydrates are sugars, whether they be complex or simple, whether they derive from fruits or pastries, from rice or chocolate, from carrot juice or beer. The pancreas, the gland that is involved in the metabolism of carbs (sugars), works very hard to ensure that the blood-glucose remains stable. When sugars are ingested, the hormone insulin is released by the pancreas in order to keep the sugar levels relatively stable. Where does the surplus of sugar get stored? Well, contrary to popular opinion, the liver and muscles stores very little; the balance gets stored as fat. This is the root of so many of today's ailments, including diabetes, acne, obesity, strokes, heart disease, dental caries - in sum, the vast majority of the diseases of western civilization are caused by nothing less than indulging in sugars.

Adequate consumption of animal fats is imperative for a clear skin and good health. Don't be deceived by conventional physicians, people, and don't be deceived by standard cholesterol tests, either. Millions are being misled by the physicians and their dubious tests.

My preent diet consists of 1 litre of raw goat milk per day (there's 432 calories from fat, over half of which is saturated); 1 tablespoon of cod liver oil per day (another 120 calories from fat); 5 tablespoons of olive oil per day (600 calories from fat, the bulk of which is monosaturated); some 12 - 20 ounces of veal, beef, or organ meats per day; 3 tablespoons of raw butter per day (another 360 calories from fat); 1 teaspoon of Swedish Bitters in a glass of warm water each day before retiring; 2 - 4 raw, soft-boiled, or fried eggs per day (15 - 30 grams of high quality protein, to say nothing of an abundance of healthy cholesterol and essential trace minerals); 1 - 2 tablespoons of raw apple cider vinegar each day (used in salad dressing); 1 - 2 teaspoons of raw, unfiltered honey per day (used in salad dressing); and a heap of romaine lettuce, cucumber, bell peppers, onion, and garlic each day, with moderate amounts of beets and carrots (root vegetables are high in sugars).

Want to know how severe my acne was? The skin of my back, shoulders, and chest is replete with every type of acne scar imaginable. I suffered numerous sunburns in attempts to cover up my acne condition. This resulted in the accumulation of numerous unsightly freckles (the sun will do this; don't be deceived). Acne can be reversed; sun damage cannot. My advice is, to stay out of the sun and completely reform your diet. Limit carbs to 15 % of your total daily caloric intake, and limit protein consumption to no more than 25% of your total daily caloric intake. THE BALANCE OUGHT TO CONSIST OF QUALITY FATS, THE BULK OF WHICH SHOULD DERIVE FROM ANIMALS! AVOID PASTEURIZED AND HOMOGENZIED MILK LIKE THE PLAGUE! Don't worry too much about getting 800 mg of calcium per day; these recommendations were based on lab experiments on rats. If you can't get at raw milk, eat the bones of fish, for instance, or sesame seeds (eat the seeds after soaking them in a saline solution for several hours, and then lightly toasting them...far easier to digest this way).

People, I urge you to try this diet. Don't neglect to exercise hard for at least 30 minutes each day, until you are perspiring heavily. After the exercise, scrub your skin with a skin brush, and take a cold shower. Reform your sleeping habits; get 7 or 8 hours per night, and go to bed and arise at consistently the same hour. And when making the transition to the low-carb diet, you will likely experience profound headaches initially. This is not cause for concern: the body is learning to deal with the reduced levels of sugars and the thus the blood-insulin levels are dropping rapidly. This will produce a number of minor symptoms, which will pass in a few days.

Give the diet about one week before you make any claims as to its effectiveness. Follow the aforementioned suggestions religiously.

Watching carbs,
    Convalescing Acne Victim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2003, 08:57 AM   #2
    Convalescing Acne Victim

get zinc from meats and properly prepared pumpkin seeds (soak them for 6 - 8 hours in purified water and 1 tablespoon of CELTIC SEA SALT, then toast them lightly till dry). i am strongly opposed to supplements; a balnced diet is sufficient.

it will take app. 6 - 8 weeks before your body learns to efficiently use fats as a source of energy. hang in there. i urge you to remain on a low-carb diet until u breathe your last - and you will breathe your last much sooner if u revert to a high-carb diet.

thx.

Old 08-01-2003, 11:01 AM   #3
    sedulous
    Veteran
    (female)

sedulous HB User
    maybe Eskimos lived almost exclusively on meats, but my blonde hair and green eyes lead me to suspect i'm more than just a little different genetically from earlier Inuit tribes, and might just have different needs nutritionally. I also don't live in a climate that's dark and frigid for months on end. One reason Inuits had the diet they did in the past is b/c they were eating what was regionally available, which naturally complements a body's needs in relation to its environment.

While I don't wholly disagree with what you're saying, this diet is an extreme one to advocate, and not reasonable for many people.

And can you document why doctors' tests are 'dubious'? Where, when, and how did you research?

I'm not knocking your program, and I'm glad you found something that works for you, but honestly, I'd rather have the acne I do now than follow the sort of rigidity you do every day.

Like I said, I'm curious to know when and where you did your research, and how you derived this program for yourself. I'd be interested to read about it.

Old 08-01-2003, 11:08 AM   #4
    Convalescing Acne Victim

dr. weston price, "nutrition & physical degeneration". i'm curious why you should be so curious. could it be that my suggestions are plausible? animal products have been consumed in massive amounts by primitve peoples since time immemorial; with the sugars in the 20th century came acne, diabetes, et cetera. by banishing fats and animal products, we're missing out on true vitamin A, vitamin D, and key minerals like iron and zinc. without these nutrient we're m,ore liable to acne and a host of other ailments.

Old 08-01-2003, 11:11 AM   #5
    sedulous
    Veteran
    (female)

sedulous HB User
    Whole grains have also been consumed for time immemorial. We can even see it in the way our teeth are formed. Very different than say, a dog, which shouldn't have much in the way of grains at all to stay healthy.

I'm curious b/c I like to read and learn new things, and hold them up against the context of what's commonly accepted. Intellectual curiosity.

Old 08-01-2003, 02:28 PM   #6
    T-zone

T-zone HB User
    Hi, I think its great what you are trying to do but you should remember that what is true for eskimos and you is hardly going to be true for every other human who lives.
    Eskimos had/have a diet very rich in fats partially because of the very cold temperatures they live in, they almost certainly had a high body fat because of it, as they would have benefitted them. That physique is hardly desirable in my opinion.

I think a diet high in protein and low in carbs is beneficial but I would not agree on the high levels of fat. Research shows that early man ate around about the same levels of fats as todays man but the types of fats were different. Omega-3 fats were much more of a part of their diet, they ate leaner meats.

What you are on sounds more like the 'eskimo diet' instead of 'The Paleo Diet', if it works for you, thats great, but people are all very different.

I think anyone can get sufficient results from cutting out the higher glycemic cereals, eating whole grains instead of white grains and by cutting out sugary snacks.

Old 05-05-2004, 06:47 PM   #7
    Acne Fighter

Acne Fighter HB User
    Re: Defeat Acne With Diet

Hey, Convalescing Acne Victim, are you still there?

Old 05-05-2004, 06:52 PM   #8
    prometheus
    Inactive

prometheus HB User

Well, let's not miss the point. Convalescing cured his cystic acne with diet.

Old 05-05-2004, 08:11 PM   #9
    jazmella
    (female)

jazmella HB User

I refuse to eat animals (I'm also a PETA follower and have been vegan for almost a year and a half, vegetarian for 5 years). If you want to clear your skin, go VEGAN, stray from sweets, and drink plenty of clean water. It's simple.

Last edited by jazmella; 05-05-2004 at 08:13 PM.

Old 05-06-2004, 03:28 AM   #10
    Acne Fighter

Acne Fighter HB User

Hey, I was on raw vegan for three months. It wasn't worked for me. Yeah I did consume plenty fruits. From this experience has led me to believe that we are designed to eat meat or consume animal fats such as dairy because we need essential Vitamin A, B12, D, complete amino acids from animal protein, DHA and EPA as essential fats.

Anyway, I am going to experiment this diet monsterously high in animal fats, protein, and low in carbohydrates. After I read a book called Nourishing Traditions, it has enough to make me believe in this kind of diet. I know it sounds so unhealthy but it isn't. Actually, I couldnt say until I experience this first.

Old 05-06-2004, 03:59 AM   #11
    euro18

euro18 HB User

There is a lot of anecodtal evidence that diet is related to acne. More specifically, there have been studies carried out, which show that consumption of bread, pastas etc can spike blood sugar levels and cause acne. As promtheus has highlighted these studies have been carried out by a professor called Loren Cordain. I actually e-mailed him and he replied saying that there has been another study in Australia - whereby participants followed a diet of no grains whatsover, just fruit veggies, nuts and meats and some oils - and those who completely followed the diet were COMPLETELY cured. Thus, I don't think we can rule this theory out. People are reluctant to do this diet because it involves change and sacrifice - it's much easier just to pop a pill.

I have actually been following a similar diet - I eat no grains apart from oats. And I have seen improvements (only been doing it for a few weeks) but I think if I carry on, I could be "happy" with my skin. For the first time in 7 years. But I am not denying that I find giving up all bread, pasta, rice, etc VERY difficult - but I felt I had to do it for myself - to see if there is anything in this theory - and if not? well i can go back to my old eating habits and look for another cure. But I don't think this will be the case.

Old 05-06-2004, 07:14 AM   #12
    unruhe
    (female)

unruhe HB User

Sure, I believe diet can affect acne indirectly. (I just posted about Head and Shoulders / ZNP bar soap for more...) Not to mention you can have allergic reactions to foods OTHER than hives - headaches, body aches, edema, etc...why not acne?

Bad diet with lots of sugars / or antibiotics--> leads to overgrowth of yeast in the body, which can definitely affect the skin. Do a search for Pityrosporum Folliculities, Pityrosporum Ovale, and Systemic Candida / Yeast overgrowth. After reading up on all this, I've drastically cut my sugar intake, eaten more fruits and vegetables, and have noticed an improvement in my skin.

Old 06-04-2004, 01:51 PM   #13
    CottonCandy

CottonCandy HB User

Is convalescing acne victim still around?!?! anyone know?

Old 06-04-2004, 03:02 PM   #14
    lionna

lionna HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazmella
    If you want to clear your skin, go VEGAN, stray from sweets, and drink plenty of clean water. It's simple.
    dont roll your eyes at me.. i am vegan, avoid sugar and drink at least a gallon of water everyday and still have problems.. i avoid wheat, too..

it was very rude of you to say, and hurtful..

Old 06-04-2004, 03:11 PM   #15
    Tiberiu

Tiberiu HB User

Live like an Eskimo, die like an Eskimo (at 45)...

Closed Thread