It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Zanaflex/Caprisoprodol/Soma for sciatica anyone?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-28-2003, 01:17 PM   #1
    regularjoe

regularjoe HB User
    Post Zanaflex/Caprisoprodol/Soma for sciatica anyone?

Anti-inflammatory drugs haven't been helping me a whole lot since my sciatica is also due to tight muscle problem as well as my L4-L5 disc. Has anyone tried those muscle relaxants and benefitted for sciatic nerve pain? Please share your experience.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2003, 02:29 PM   #2
    successtory
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

successtory HB User
    Hi regularjoe and welcome

The only thing that helped with sciatic pain for me was taking Myocalm. It is a 'natural' muscle relaxant that will take the 'nip' off the sciatic pain. It doesn't have a real pleasant smell, but it worked for me. Try sitting less too...as that most likely aggravates the sciatic pain. Have you tried PT? How about water therapy? Even floating in the water was fabulous ... the best for sciatic pain.

Have you tried tylenol PM too? Getting SLEEP is one of the only ways to lessen sciatic pain. The muscles and nerves need their rest. This is why each day seems worse than the last with Sciatica....the nerves aren't able to rest from the day's aggravations and has to get up and start some more. "Resting your back" is not what I'm saying. You are still answering the phone, taking a sip of water, or changing the channel. When you sleep...you aren't moving, plain and simple.

Oh yeah...soma did help after my surgery. It was definitely better than flexeril (for me).

Good luck to you and I hope this helps.

------------------
    successtory
    Oct 2000: Repetitive Stress Injury-Inverted Hernia
    Feb 2001: MRI. Shows only slight bulge at L4-L5
    Dec 2001: Discogram/CT scan shows Inverted Hernia at L5-S1. L4-L5 & L5-S1 ruptured in all 4 quadrants. Unable to walk.
    Feb 2002: IDET, Nucleoplasty, Intra-Discal Injections
    Sept 2002: Rated in the top 10% for successful patients. Retraining for new career.

Old 03-29-2003, 05:51 PM   #3
    eegoat

eegoat HB User
    Cool

I have found that soma helps my muscle spasms but it makes me so fuzzy. Recently I have been using a patch that works really well on localized muscle spasms just to take off the edge to get you thru it. They are called Lidoderm (Lidocaine 5% patch) I had to mention it to my doc.

Hope you feel better soon.

3 levels fused, last one nov 2002.

Old 03-29-2003, 06:35 PM   #4
    Onyx

Onyx HB User
    Hi, I have two large herniations, I take both anti-immflammoratorys for the swelling in the back and soma for the spasming from the back down the leg, I cannot deal with the spasming without the muscle relaxer but it doesn't make me drowsy or anything like that. That and i have found that soma in generic form is a lot more affordable than some of the other stuff the doctors prescribe. Onyx

Old 03-31-2003, 07:02 AM   #5
    regularjoe

regularjoe HB User
    Thank you all for your inputs. They were very helpful.

Closed Thread