It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

Just had Gallbladder out! Alot of issues!

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-14-2018, 02:37 PM   #1
Justanotherday1
(female)

Justanotherday1 HB User
Unhappy Just had Gallbladder out! Alot of issues!

Hi,

I had my gallbladder out about 2wks ago. My only symptons were in my shoulderblades and nausea plus a kind of overall sick feeling. Never in my abdomen. My GP sent me to have an ultrasound and it came back that I had multiple tiny stones with sludge. I was hesitate about getting it out but couldn't stand to feel this way. I was told it was a piece of cake NOT! At least for me. I could eat anything I wanted. And so on. The first couple days I was in some pain. Nausea was the main problem. Nothing that Zofran couldn't help. Well after a week went by I still felt bad. Weak, sick everytime I attempted to eat. And I was doing the BRAT diet. I couldn't even exercise. It even sent me into a deep depression because I'm already a small woman and I didn't need to lose anymore weight. So back to the dr. for my Post-op. I was having pain in my incisions on the right side, but more deep inside. Also the incision that is in the epigastic area. Did blood work, CT scan and also check for blood clots. Everything was fine. So!!! Has anyone had their gallbladder out and it has taken wayyyy longer that what alot of people say it takes, I know everyone is different but like I said, The depression is bothering me. Plus after 2wks I thought I could eat alittle better. Plus I still have nausea and shoulder pain.
Thanks everyone!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2018, 03:58 PM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Just had Gallbladder out! Alot of issues!

I don't know who told you to eat whatever you wanted immediately after having your gb out but they are nuts. For at least 2-3 weeks you should avoid all fats - even good ones like olive oil. Also probably leave off raw roughage like lettuce. Then slowly introduce fat back into your diet. Additionally, the gb was pulled from under your ribcage down and out your belly button. You are very bruised internally and will be sore for up to 6 weeks. The shoulder pain is probably from the gas they inflated you with. The best way to dissipate that is walking. And you should not be exercising - as in weight lifting - for 6 weeks. Jogging after a week is fine. Walking on treadmill, ellipticals - both OK.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:03 PM   #3
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User

Dear Justanotherday,

Everything you wrote seems the usual case for gall bladder issues and surgery, normal. Give yourself a few months. Don't eat fatty foods for awhile. Avoid fried and greasy foods for a few weeks. Increase the fiber in your diet to aid bowel movements. Eat less at a time and more-frequently. Some need to avoid fatty food longer than others. We are all different.

You will feel better every few days, I am sure. No one feels good so soon after any type of surgery, hon.

Love

Old 09-14-2018, 04:20 PM   #4
Justanotherday1
(female)

Justanotherday1 HB User
Unhappy Re: Just had Gallbladder out! Alot of issues!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaYagirl View Post
Dear Justanotherday,

Everything you wrote seems the usual case for gall bladder issues and surgery, normal. Give yourself a few months. Don't eat fatty foods for awhile. Avoid fried and greasy foods for a few weeks. Increase the fiber in your diet to aid bowel movements. Eat less at a time and more-frequently. Some need to avoid fatty food longer than others. We are all different.

You will feel better every few days, I am sure. No one feels good so soon after any type of surgery, hon.

Love

I really appreciate the responses. My first time having major surgery. I guess I'm more worried about all the pain i'm having. In my back, in my side. I've already did alot of walking. I guess it could be possible some gas is still trapped. I'm not sure. My GI dr is doing an EGD the first wk of October to check for gastritis. That's all I need!

Old 09-14-2018, 04:49 PM   #5
Justanotherday1
(female)

Justanotherday1 HB User

Thanks for your response. First time I have had major surgery. I have talked with folks that it seemed alittle easier for them than me. Just not real happy with pain in my shoulderblades. I can understand pain in my belly. Not my back. I guess my biggest worry would be a blood clot. But i've done plenty walking in 2wks. Thank you again!

Old 09-14-2018, 04:51 PM   #6
Justanotherday1
(female)

Justanotherday1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I don't know who told you to eat whatever you wanted immediately after having your gb out but they are nuts. For at least 2-3 weeks you should avoid all fats - even good ones like olive oil. Also probably leave off raw roughage like lettuce. Then slowly introduce fat back into your diet. Additionally, the gb was pulled from under your ribcage down and out your belly button. You are very bruised internally and will be sore for up to 6 weeks. The shoulder pain is probably from the gas they inflated you with. The best way to dissipate that is walking. And you should not be exercising - as in weight lifting - for 6 weeks. Jogging after a week is fine. Walking on treadmill, ellipticals - both OK.

Thank you! I guess I worry to much! Not to fond of the pain between my shoulders. I figured after 2wks the gas would be gone. I have walked alot. Thank you!

Old 09-15-2018, 11:16 AM   #7
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User

Dear Justanotherday,

Sure, the pain is very uncomfortable. The pain is not just gas, it's also from tension and the surgery itself.

You can get through this; no need to be afraid. Do keep active, walk around and do regular things, look on the internet for shoulder and upper body stretches you can do by yourself. If you can, go get a massage. Lean back on a heating pad. Try a warm bath with Epsom salts and sink your shoulders down into the water. Make it as warm as you find comfortable and soak for at least 20 minutes.

Baby yourself, but know this is normal and the more you relax and take care of yourself the faster the discomfort will go away. The time frame is different for each of us, hon, so no worries, OK?

Love,

Last edited by YaYagirl; 09-15-2018 at 11:16 AM.

Old 09-15-2018, 05:26 PM   #8
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hi Justanotherday,

I had my gallbladder out a year ago, and like you- was expecting too much. First off- do not eat any fat at all for the next week...then slowly introduce fat back into your diet. That means, no olive oil, no butter- cook with PAM cook spray and stick with non fat items...I lived on egg whites, lean turkey breast, applesause and fat free yogurt for 2 weeks.

Keep walking. Each day you walk, the pain will get less and less. It took me up to 3 weeks before I could say I felt 'good' again.

Each day will get better. Hang in there.

Reply Reply