It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

Asymmetrical hearing loss and ringing in one ear

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-12-2018, 12:09 PM   #1
BellaDonn
(female)

BellaDonn HB User
Asymmetrical hearing loss and ringing in one ear

I had a few hearing tests between last year and now. The tests reveal asymmetrical hearing loss although I hear fine out of both ears however I have constant ringing in one ear. The doctor is now sending me for an MRI of the brain to rule out an acoustic neuroma (benign brain tumor) I have anxiety issues and beyond scared about this. My stomach has been hurting constantly because I'm so scared. Please i need to know is there anyone out there that has had these symptoms of similar and had an MRI and it turned out to be fine???? Would greatly appreciate feedback on this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2018, 10:16 AM   #2
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User
Re: Asymmetrical hearing loss and ringing in one ear

Dear BellaDonn,

Please don't be afraid of the test.
Keep in mind that you have been living with this annoying issue just fine so far. The test results won't alter whatever has been bothering you and will not make anything worse.

Make yourself breathe, regular, slow breaths. That is what will calm you down. Hyperventilating distresses the body. You can control that. And a benign tumor means it is not dangerous. No reason to fear that. My mom and sister both had benign brain tumors and they were removed with no danger. My husband had ringing in his ears for years, and eventually it just stopped, for no known reason.

The body does weird things sometimes. If you get any solutions let us know.

No worries, hon.
Love,

Old 08-30-2018, 09:48 PM   #3
oceanaz
(female)

oceanaz HB User
Re: Asymmetrical hearing loss and ringing in one ear

I have all the same issues that you're having. My doc sent me for a CT scan because it is more comfortable than an MRI and I think may have much less radiation. The scan came back negative so the issue is really coming from the hearing loss, I believe. I was given some hope today from a different ENT because he said that the ears are very plastic- meaning that they can heal, it just takes time. I decided to go ahead and try the corticosteroids because that is standard treatment for this kind of thing and it could be some inflammation causing the ringing. I haven't started the steroids yet- I tend to be sensitive to meds so I am waiting till Saturday when I don't have anything planned to begin them. I hope this helps. I doubt you have an acoustic neuroma, it's unlikely and honestly I was a little dissapointed that I didn't have one because I felt that at least that would make the ringing more 'solvable' but the doctor assured me that I would not want to have that kind of surgery. So at this point I am going forward with simply doing everything possible to try and heal my inner ear, whatever may be ailing it.

Reply Reply