It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Worse for starting Leovthyroxine

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-24-2019, 05:30 AM   #1
    Aex
    (female)

Aex HB User
    Worse for starting Leovthyroxine

Hi All, I desperately need some help please!

I was diagnosed HypoT in April after the GP did some bloods to find out why I had succumbed to so many viruses. My TSH came back 20 (normal range 0.3 - 5.5) and I was started on 50mcg of Levo.

Since then I have felt much worse and my symptoms of weight gain, foggy brain, exhaustion etc have gone through the roof and Im still getting the viruses. I have had to give up my part time job. So I assumed the dose was not high enough and requested more bloods. My latest Bloodwork (10 weeks after starting meds) came back with TSH at 0.94 (normal range 0.3 - 5.5) and T4 at 16 (normal range 10 - 22). My doctor states 'we don't test T3'.

I have arm twisted him into giving me a referral to an endocrinologist (he thinks its a waste of time because everything is normal) and want to ensure I get this sorted as I simply can not go on.

Any advice? Any similar experiences? Its so hard to read and understand!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2019, 05:13 AM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Worse for starting Leovthyroxine

Dear Aex,

I suspect your thyroid levels are alright. See if you can find a doctor that tests Free T4 and Free T3 for your peace of mind. Those tell a more complete picture. Do get your immune system up by eating foods high in antioxidants and getting enough rest. Thyroid doesn't prevent or treat viruses. To prevent or treat viruses be sure that you get enough rest and eat enough antioxidant foods.

Each thyroid dose change requires six to eight weeks for it to make a difference. Also, take the hormone only with water one and a half to two hours before eating or taking an other med that could interfere with absorption.

Reply Reply