It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

New here - weight loss question

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-12-2018, 07:23 AM   #1
SDt
(female)

SDt HB User
Question New here - weight loss question

Hi, I am new to the board and excited to have a place to come to and share, chat, and support other people.

I have been struggling with losing weight for 3 years now. I am not incredibly over weight but really need to lose between 15 - 20 pounds. I am not interested in a "diet" as I've done this so many times before. I want a lifestyle change that doesn't require me to cut out food groups - I just don't see that as realistic.

I decided to get myself back on the better eating, better mind set, better taking care of me for life plan about a month ago. I'm a teacher so getting started in the summer is always easier. Over the last 3 years I've attempted this but always plateau or don't lose and give up. I am determined not to give up this time and I've been considering the future when I'm back at school and how life will change. I want to make realistic decisions regarding diet and exercise that can be maintained as a busy teacher.

So, a month ago I stopped eating fast food (bad habit - eating it 3 - 5 times a week), I gave up soda, and I stopped snacking on potato chips and crackers every night of my life as well as chocolate all afternoon long (basically I've had no fast food, soda, chocolate, chips or crackers in a month). I started eating more lean protein, more vegetables, less bread, drinking more water, and exercising 6 days per week (3 days of Piyo, and 3 days of my Fit board w/light weights) as well as maintaining at least 10,000 steps per day. I do feel much better but the scale went down 2 pounds and then back up 1 pound... the recurring issue I've had in the past... suddenly, after 40 there is no such thing as losing pounds.

I did do some measurements a month ago and today I measured myself again. I have lost inches in my butt, hips, waist, lower and upper stomach, thighs, and arms.. most 1/4 - 1/2 inch except in my butt I lost 1 1/2 inches. Yet the scale doesn't move. I've only been weighing myself once per week first thing in the morning. I know that it is said that we gain muscle and that weighs more than fat. I do understand that... but... I still feel the scale should have moved. I'm also not sure if 1/4 - 1/2 inch in a month is good? I'm not out to drop a bunch of weight quickly either - I know that never lasts.

Anyhow, any feedback, suggestions etc would be awesome!

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by Administrator; 07-12-2018 at 06:54 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2018, 02:48 AM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: New here - weight loss question

Hi! Congratulations on the initiative to get healthy. I have to say, your previous diet didn't sound very healthy....but now, you sound like you are totally on the right track!

Yes, losing between a half inch and inch a month is exactly right! It took you a long time to put the weight on, you cant expect it to come off overnight. An inch is about average for most people each month- so you are doing good!

As far as the scale not moving- some of this could be water weight. Have you increased your water intake? Water weight can skew the scale in a big way. Try not weighing yourself except once a week at the same time, wearing nothing (if possible). Remember that salty food can make your body retain water as well; so no salt..

You are also correct that muscle weighs more than fat- and it sounds like you are beginning to turn some of the extra weight into muscle. This might prevent the scale from moving as quickly.

The best way to determine if your diet is working or not is how your clothes fit. If you keep losing inches, you will need a new wardrobe by fall! YEAH! If you are losing weight - even if your scale isn't moving- your pants should be loser and your clothing not fitting as it used to...

Keep it up and let us know how you are doing in another few weeks! Congratulations! Stick to it!

Reply Reply