It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

Throat irritation and allergies

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-13-2018, 05:19 PM   #1
smokeymtnrain
(female)

smokeymtnrain HB Usersmokeymtnrain HB User
Throat irritation and allergies

I'm trying to figure out if my throat irritation is from allergies or reflux. Is it common for allergy sufferers to have an irritated throught? Its not so much in the back of the throat but more down the throat. I have itchy and ears also at times but the sensation that I feel in the throat is like when you normally breathe in and out, I get a warm feeling when exhaling out. Hard to explain but I feel like I'm breathing out warm air, maybe normal body temperature air its just I haven't noticed it before and maybe that's normal when exhaling. It's just feels a little warm to me on the inside. If you put your finger on that soft spot of your throat, that's where I feel it on the inside. My throat doesn't hurt but my allergies have been having a hard time and as I write this my throat and ears are itching a little bit. I have a lot of post nasal drip but I don't lose my voice. When my allergies act up, there goes my asthma. My eyes feel a little warm and I have had left ear pressure for some time now. So, not sure and wanted to know if anyone with allergies have throat issues...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2018, 06:53 PM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Throat irritation and allergies

Definitely....have that same issue from my allergies.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:50 AM   #3
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

One can have both and one will exacerbate the other.

Have you had an upper endoscopy for reflux? Not the ent, but a gastro.

q

Old 09-15-2018, 01:41 PM   #4
smokeymtnrain
(female)

No, I've never had an endoscopy. What does that look at exactly? Do they do that in the office?

Old 09-15-2018, 01:47 PM   #5
smokeymtnrain
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Definitely....have that same issue from my allergies.
So you experience the warm air thing from your throat when breathing out? Throat and ears kind of itchy and still have the left ear pressure. Just wondering exactly what you experience with your throat with allergies. Our pollen has been very high the past week and claritin doesn't seem to help.

Old 09-15-2018, 04:42 PM   #6
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

An endoscopy is done by a GI doctor in either the hospital or endoscopy center. You are usually given twighlight sedation- where you won't remember or feel anything...the tube goes through your mouth into your upper GI area and it has a camera on it, (scope) which looks at your esophogus and into the top of your colon. It is looking for blockages and errosion from bile/ gastric acid. From an endoscopy, they can tell if you have reflux and if it is doing any damage to your esophogus.

Ive had it every year for the past ten years, its over in 20 minutes- an hour out of your day, with recovery- and it doesnt hurt at all!

Old 09-15-2018, 05:14 PM   #7
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Claritin is at the bottom of the antihistamines. Very mild. You may need something stronger like zyrtec or allegra. Have the sore throat, PND, exhale is always warm, asthma can act up too....I'm 72 -am on allergy shots for the 4th time in my life....started the first time at 14...all sorts of different regimens. Allergic to all but 6 things they test for (3 were trees). Have taken every antihistamine on the market, all the sprays, inhalers. This isn't fun.You just have to figure out what works best for you. If you aren't seeing an immunologist, I highly recommend it. My ability to work thru my issues greatly increased once I switched from an ENT.

Reply Reply