It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Make items that disturb me small and meaningless

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-14-2018, 08:15 AM   #1
NeedHelp12345
(male)

NeedHelp12345 HB User
Make items that disturb me small and meaningless

Hello,

I wanted to know how I can mentally turn items that disturb me and which I think about a lot, into something small and meaningless so they dont disturb me anymore or not so much. Is this possible?

Thanks for replies

Last edited by NeedHelp12345; 09-14-2018 at 08:21 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2018, 09:43 AM   #2
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Make items that disturb me small and meaningless

One cannot turn it off.....our hard-wiring for tendencies is what it is. But....as we feel less anxious, frustrated, angry, helpless, etc in general and understand why we feel and react a certain way, it affects us less.

As well, learning coping strategies helps....it's a process, but has to be a mindful one.

Can you give an example?

q

Old 09-14-2018, 02:25 PM   #3
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User
Re: Make items that disturb me small and meaningless

Dear NeedHelp,

From my own experience, yes, we can retrain our brains. Someone taught me that we cannot dwell on two things at once. We have fear because of messages that we accept. We can tell ourselves the truth that we are safe, and we can overcome fear. Some people used to do things that disturbed me but I no longer allow what they do or might think of me to bother me. We each have a choice what we dwell on.

I used to be so afraid of snakes that I had an extreme physical reaction to even turn a page and see a picture of a snake. I was terrified of snakes and never wanted to see or even touch a picture of one, and certainly never wanted to discover one in my yard.

However, I chose to desensitize my mind by looking at pictures of snakes, reading about them, and eventually could touch a picture of a snake without a reaction. Then a day came while working in the yard that while raking I uncovered a harmless little garden snake. I didn't recoil at all. Just left it alone. Since then I could look at snakes in cages, and then this summer we had a great deal of tiny baby frogs in our yard. My husband told me he saw a little garden snake. I kept alert for snakes and didn't see any until just a few days ago while walking across our driveway a little snake I know to be harmless slithered across in front of me. I know snakes are more scared than humans so I watched it. I decided to hurry it along and walked toward it and it seemed to almost have a heart attack trying to hurry away. It went into a bush and I never saw it again.

I'm sharing this because I have had many deep fears and by experience I learned that we can control our own minds. It takes time but we can face our fears.

I believe you can train your mind to think differently about any thing.

Love,

Last edited by YaYagirl; 09-14-2018 at 02:34 PM.

Reply Reply