It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Adrenal Disorders Message Board

At a loss ...

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-13-2018, 11:25 PM   #1
Bucksco3433
(female)

Bucksco3433 HB User
At a loss ...

I feel lost and dismissed by my pcp. In March 2015 I had my second son. About 6 months after I was completely fatigued and not losing any weight despite eating well and nursing. I had my thyroid checked and all was well. The doctors basically just said to give it time. I was also diagnosed with PMDD around this time and put on Zoloft for it to manage the symptoms.

Here I am in 2018 and still tired and still not losing weight. I track my food and am training for a triathlon. I run/bike/swim 6-9 hours a week right now. Iíve lost 2 lbs in 3 months.

So I went to a new pcp. I asked for my thyroid to be checked and also my cortisol as well as the normal physical panel. Thyroid was fine but they only did TSH. Not the full panel.

On wed I had the intial panel done (cortisol wasnít in the lab system yet) fasting. Glucose came back at 97. 99 being the max ďnormal.Ē Two days later I got my cortisol checked (single blood draw in the am) and it was 6.6 with 6.2 being the minimum cut off for normal.

Pcp called and just said ďeverything was normal. Keep eating well and working out.Ē And that was it. I canít hwlp but think those two tests were too close to the edges and Iíve read that Zoloft can increase cortisol. If that is true, Iím likely below normal. Thatís just a guess though.

Do I seek out an endocrinologist? Will they think Iím crazy when the tests came back negative? I have a highly stressful job. I have two children and a wonderful husband. Iím training for a triathlon, which I enjoy a lot when I have the energy. By the time I get home from work I feel useless. Most nights I get 9-10 hours of sleep and Iím still tired. Tonight of course I cannot sleep.

Am I imagining all this? I donít feel like myself. I feel like a switch flipped after I had my son and I canít flip it back.

Thanks for reading all this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2018, 01:03 PM   #2
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: At a loss ...

You're tired and still training for a triathlon? Does that mean you're pushing yourself to train when you don't feel up to it? Are you afraid if you stop you will start gaining weight? If you are truly "eating well", you shouldn't gain weight by stopping the training.

Everyone has a different opinion of what is meant by "eating well". For those who are athletically inclined and trying to lose weight, it usually means eating a high protein diet. That type of diet is bound to fail at some point because too much animal protein crowds out other much needed nutritious foods.

The result is: Your immune system is being compromised.

You need to eat more natural (high fiber) whole foods like fresh fruit and berries, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds. High fiber foods will help to promote a healthy micro-flora community in your digestive system and that in turn helps to regulate your immune system.

Last edited by JohnR41; 06-14-2018 at 01:18 PM.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:16 AM   #3
Bucksco3433
(female)

Bucksco3433 HB User

I feel a general fatigue. Like when I come home from work I could go straight to bed. That doesn’t work well with two young kids and a husband and a house to help keep going. I don’t want to stop training because I have multiple races I’ve already paid for and I’m excited for. The weight gain would suck but my weight seems stuck so I’m not sure I would gain much more. Whatever I do or don’t do doesn’t seem to make a difference.

While my diet is high protein I also eat a lot of fruits and vegetables and whole grains. I’m not huge on nuts in general so I don’t have a lot of those but that’s a preference thing.

I was able to get in with an endo next week. They had a last minute cancellation I could get to so hopefully they can do some more testing and find the cause of this. I will definitely ask them about how diet could impact it though.

Last edited by Moderator1; 06-15-2018 at 06:49 AM.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:07 PM   #4
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksco3433 View Post

While my diet is high protein I also eat a lot of fruits and vegetables and whole grains.
One way to find out if you're getting enough natural high-fiber foods in your diet is to calculate the number of grams of fiber you get in one day. You should try to get a minimum of 25 grams of fiber per day. The average person in the U.S. gets about 10 to 12 grams per day. That may have a lot to do with the fact that about 2/3 of the population are overweight.

Quote:
I was able to get in with an endo next week....... I will definitely ask them about how diet could impact it though.
Don't expect to much in the way of dietary advice unless the doctor also has a degree in nutrition. Medical doctors get very little education in nutrition. And more often than not, I have gotten the wrong advice whenever the subject of nutrition came up. From my limited experience with doctors, it seems they will say almost anything rather than admit that they don't know.

Last edited by JohnR41; 06-16-2018 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Spelling

Old 06-15-2018, 02:14 PM   #5
Bucksco3433
(female)

Bucksco3433 HB User

This week I hit over 25g every day except one when I hit 19 but the day after I hit 37g. Good thing to look at though.

I also plan to see a nutritionist but they arenít covered by insurance so Iím gathering info before I go to them!

Old 06-16-2018, 11:59 AM   #6
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksco3433 View Post
This week I hit over 25g every day except one when I hit 19 but the day after I hit 37g. Good thing to look at though.
That's amazing! I never would have guessed that you'd be getting that much. By the way, 37 is really great. There's a diet called, "The Fiber35 diet." That diet regimen recommends 35 grams per day.

Quote:
I also plan to see a nutritionist but they aren’t covered by insurance so I’m gathering info before I go to them!
I've never had an appointment to see a nutritionist but I have read articles written by nutritionists, I've been to lectures given by nutritionists and I've read books that were written by nutritionists. As a result, here's the impression I have: As you might suspect, they're not all the same.

There's a man in my area who has several degrees. He has a degree in nutrition, M.D. degree, and a chiropractic degree, and is licensed to practice acupuncture. However, I don't agree with his choice of diet; he follows the Paleo Diet.

Then there are vegan nutritionists and vegetarian nutritionists.

Some will even say, "There's no such thing as bad food." It's all good as long as you practice moderation. I don't subscribe to that way of thinking at all.

Last edited by JohnR41; 06-16-2018 at 12:51 PM.

Reply Reply